Smash-mouth Football

AZ54

All I can say is... it's about time.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...117-column.html

Fifteen extra minutes in the cold tub Monday morning. Maybe 20. Slowly get in and let that ice water crawl up to your neck. Just try to find some relief for a beaten-down, worn-out body.

The day before? Man, downhill collisions in the hole that felt like a train wreck.

That was my experience in the NFL the morning after playing John Fox's Panthers teams. I'm talking about old school stuff when you lined up versus those squads. Put on your big boy pads and get ready to hit. You were in for a fight.

All I can say is... it's about time.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...117-column.html

Fifteen extra minutes in the cold tub Monday morning. Maybe 20. Slowly get in and let that ice water crawl up to your neck. Just try to find some relief for a beaten-down, worn-out body.

The day before? Man, downhill collisions in the hole that felt like a train wreck.

That was my experience in the NFL the morning after playing John Fox's Panthers teams. I'm talking about old school stuff when you lined up versus those squads. Put on your big boy pads and get ready to hit. You were in for a fight.

I dont know if it all is going to work out but sure does look good from this chair.

That's why I would trade Forte. It would give us extra salary cap room, plus the draft is loaded with stud running backs. I've also been on board with trading Marshall. The conundrum with that is he's the best blocking WR in the NFL. I'm all in for smash mouth. If we are stuck with Cutler, this is the way to go. Draft me 2 road grater OL as well please!

That's why I would trade Forte. It would give us extra salary cap room, plus the draft is loaded with stud running backs. I've also been on board with trading Marshall. The conundrum with that is he's the best blocking WR in the NFL. I'm all in for smash mouth. If we are stuck with Cutler, this is the way to go. Draft me 2 road grater OL as well please!

I'm not sure Forte has any trade value. He's a 30 year old RB that also had high mileage in college. I'd rather see him finish out with the Bears.

I also would hate to see Marshall go. The WR situation in Chicago was almost as bad as the QB situation for the Bears for years, and he's a top 10 at least WR in the league, and should continue to be for 4 or 5 years. The likely hood of a player drafted from a trade bringing as much value to the team is rather low.

I'm not sure Forte has any trade value. He's a 30 year old RB that also had high mileage in college. I'd rather see him finish out with the Bears.

I also would hate to see Marshall go. The WR situation in Chicago was almost as bad as the QB situation for the Bears for years, and he's a top 10 at least WR in the league, and should continue to be for 4 or 5 years. The likely hood of a player drafted from a trade bringing as much value to the team is rather low.

If we get rid of Forte , I doubt if it brings a high draft pick, I suspect maybe a 3rd, not worth the valve of losing him.

At this point, I don't think the cap space would equal the loss in production from Forte. For Marshall, besides the locker room whispers, has really been a solid player on and off the field (in media) for the Bears. I think both of these guys get one more year. Forte is going to be a FA next year, so we would get a comp pick if he leaves, and Marshall's dead money is way less in 2016 (same with Allen). I believe that is the year we see a huge roster turnover.

At this point, I don't think the cap space would equal the loss in production from Forte. For Marshall, besides the locker room whispers, has really been a solid player on and off the field (in media) for the Bears. I think both of these guys get one more year. Forte is going to be a FA next year, so we would get a comp pick if he leaves, and Marshall's dead money is way less in 2016 (same with Allen). I believe that is the year we see a huge roster turnover.

I know I'm in the minority in wanting to trade Forte and Marshall. My whole point of it is to lower the cap while receiving additional draft picks.

We had one of oldest rosters in the NFL last year. Also the slowest. Replacing a couple of aging stars, while having the ability to build a younger and stronger roster gives the opportunity to get back on the rise faster. I'm willing to sacrifice this season to make a huge jump the following year.

I'm also on record of wanting to purge Allen and Houston. I keep hearing that cutting Allen will hurt, so that may not work. I also hope they interview some key vets to find out who the slackers and locker room turds were and show them the door regardless of cost.

It is hard to fill the holes we already have and if we trade our strengths, it only makes it worse. I can see maybe Sutton get shopped to a team in need of a 3T if we change our base D. Other than that, I think we go with our core as long as we can. The offense can be phenomenal if ran right. Run the ball and don't put Cutler in situations were every pass he is either sacked or throwing into double coverage.

I know I'm in the minority in wanting to trade Forte and Marshall. My whole point of it is to lower the cap while receiving additional draft picks.

We had one of oldest rosters in the NFL last year. Also the slowest. Replacing a couple of aging stars, while having the ability to build a younger and stronger roster gives the opportunity to get back on the rise faster. I'm willing to sacrifice this season to make a huge jump the following year.

I'm also on record of wanting to purge Allen and Houston. I keep hearing that cutting Allen will hurt, so that may not work. I also hope they interview some key vets to find out who the slackers and locker room turds were and show them the door regardless of cost.

Mongo,

I hear ya on the idea of getting younger and gaining more cap space but you don't do it just to do it. If you move veterans to save cap space and gain picks, there is no guarantee the new player will be better than the one you lost. In Marshall and Forte's case, I think that is what would happen. Forte is arguably a top-5 RB, and Marshall would be a #1 on most teams in the league. If you can somehow find another player of their caliber for less (than everyone would be doing it and no one would want them).

Also, assuming we have a blueprint of Fox's teams, then Marshall and Forte are perfect. Forte is in his last year. I would actually extend him and try to lower his cap hit, if not, then let him walk after this year and get a comp pick. Marshall is dependent on whether he is or is not a locker room problem and is impacting the chemistry of the team.

We have 27+ million available in cap space. Why can't we draft well, sign good young players, AND win now? Don't forget the purge began with George McCasey announcing "Mama's pissed and wants to win another championship." While she's not involved in decision making, she is the owner, the matriarch, and the ultimate boss. We pry ate 10 million in coaching salaries and then signed the highest profile coach available Everything indicates we'll continue to spend on coordinators. Everything indicates we fully intend to win now.

In terms of the turds and slackers, I don't think we can base much of anything on what happened last season. For example, by all accounts, Lance Briggs was a turd and a slacker this past season. That's the complete opposite of what we've come to expect from Lance Briggs. The coaching staff allowed and enabled him to be a turd and a slacker. Briggs definitely doesn't act that way if Lovie's the coach and I doubt that would have happened if Fox was in charge.

Moving ahead, I'm good with showing them the door regardless of cost, but because the ignorant coaches allowed it, you can't hold last year against them.