John Fox's Introductory Press Conference

'TD'

VERY VERY noncommittal on Cutler

Yeah, if I was seeing this from a neutral perspective on a very expensive player, it would lead me to believe that he is gone. Otherwise, he would say that Cutler is the starting QB until we further evaluate the roster. The way he said it, it sounded more like if we can't find a better option, he will be here.

Says he wants to be able to run the ball and stop the run, that is the essence of football.

He talked about talking to Ditka and repairing relationship with Urlacher.

It was very awkward how he talked about it. It was sort of like he already planned to move on, and then later he described what he looks for in a QB, and it's one that wins.

The Urlacher thing stood out with me, and I think that is great. I'm sure it caused some issues in the locker room how that ended. He could be an asset to be brought in to the locker room a times.

It was very awkward how he talked about it. It was sort of like he already planned to move on, and then later he described what he looks for in a QB, and it's one that wins.

The Urlacher thing stood out with me, and I think that is great. I'm sure it caused some issues in the locker room how that ended. He could be an asset to be brought in to the locker room a times.

Yeah he said something about how he reminded Jay that it is only fun when you are winning, and how Jay reaching out to him was a good move. That whole sequence was odd.

I also think Jay is why we don't have an OC yet because they are going to want to know who the QB is going to be.

I really hope Urlacher comes back in some type of QA/QC or Linebackers coach. He basically already did the job on the field and was always passionate.

The instability at QB definitely hurts. It's hard to get an OC to put their career in the hands of Cutler or an unknown. Cutler hasn't exactly helped anyones careers, and the alternative is a big question mark.

Exactly and I believe that is the sticking point right now for OC. If we are going after Cooter who is a drunk QB coach who was horrible in Detroit, it is getting bad. Stafford regressed this year.

Yeah he said something about how he reminded Jay that it is only fun when you are winning, and how Jay reaching out to him was a good move. That whole sequence was odd.

I also think Jay is why we don't have an OC yet because they are going to want to know who the QB is going to be.

I really hope Urlacher comes back in some type of QA/QC or Linebackers coach. He basically already did the job on the field and was always passionate.

Absolutely not. I don't want Urlacher near this coaching staff unless Fox believes he will be an asset. He has been a whining brat the past two years.

Peace :dabears

VERY VERY noncommittal on Cutler

Why would he be? It would actually be dumb for him endorse him while not going through due diligence. In fact, you would probably be ripping his ass if he endorsed Jay without that same diligence.

On a lighter note; I swear Fox referred to Jay as Jake twice in the presser. That made me laugh...

Why would he be? It would actually be dumb for him endorse him while not going through due diligence. In fact, you would probably be ripping his ass if he endorsed Jay without that same diligence.

On a lighter note; I swear Fox referred to Jay as Jake twice in the presser. That made me laugh...

The media make it out to be that Cutler will be back for one more year. The way Fox went about answering that question was very cautious, and telling to me. I thought it was worth mentioning, so I did.

Absolutely not. I don't want Urlacher near this coaching staff unless Fox believes he will be an asset. He has been a whining brat the past two years.

I am wondering what that says about Peanut and Briggs situation. It seemed like they would be shown the door by the old regime. Both seemed to hint that they thought this would be their last year with the Bears publicly. The door may now be open for a possible return of one or both.

I'm not sure why he would commit to Jay without having an offensive coordinator anyway so I think as usual were making something outta nothing. Just like his answer to the 3-4 vs 4-3.

It just felt different to me. If he just blew the question off, that would have been what I expected. Instead he rambled on, and kept going back and referring to who they do start which made it stick out more to me than how Pace addressed it.

It just felt different to me. If he just blew the question off, that would have been what I expected. Instead he rambled on, and kept going back and referring to who they do start which made it stick out more to me than how Pace addressed it.

It probably felt different because you want Jay gone.

I don't expect a decision to be made till we get an OC much like a decision hasnt been made about the defense witg no DC in tow.

I've been the same way but I'm still here, why can't Brian? ?

I think it stupendous if Fox were to do this. Brian has a lot of reasons to complain. We didn't know what happened that fateful day when he was finally let go but we know, for the most part, they were wrong in doing it. And as it would seem most everyone else (the public - fans) complained about what was going on in public, he was right.

The fact that Fox is reaching out to the teams past and history is pretty damn respectable. The people of Chicago love their sports and the fact that each branch is nearly a cornerstone in their respective sport, that says a lot. Fox is doing all the right things. Spectacular hire.

I don't expect a decision on Jay until we get the entire front office and coaching staff together and they decide on the long term plan at QB. If Cutler remains on the roster, which is a strong possibility, I'm certain there will be a long term plan to trade for or draft a QB for the future. This regime is not going to come out and call Cutler elite like Emery did. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fox say the QBs, whoever they are, will compete for the starting job this year.

I only caught the last part of it but the press conference was funny because everyone was tiptoeing around using Cutler's name while speaking about the "QB position".

FWIW…Fox seems like a guy we can just head down to the bar with and grab a beer and talk football, or anything. He does not pretend to be the smartest man in the room and admits he does not have all the answers, especially when it comes to the personnel side. In fact he said he has no time to wear two hats regarding personnel decisions so Pace is the man bringing in the talent for this team.

I've been the same way but I'm still here, why can't Brian? ?

I think it stupendous if Fox were to do this. Brian has a lot of reasons to complain. We didn't know what happened that fateful day when he was finally let go but we know, for the most part, they were wrong in doing it. And as it would seem most everyone else (the public - fans) complained about what was going on in public, he was right.

The fact that Fox is reaching out to the teams past and history is pretty damn respectable. The people of Chicago love their sports and the fact that each branch is nearly a cornerstone in their respective sport, that says a lot. Fox is doing all the right things. Spectacular hire.

You didn't have a microphone. I don't mind him reaching out to Url but, beyond that, I can't see him as a coach.

Exactly and I believe that is the sticking point right now for OC. If we are going after Cooter who is a drunk QB coach who was horrible in Detroit, it is getting bad. Stafford regressed this year.

He answered it honestly, he will figure out what to do with Cutler, but until he gets an upclose look at the situation, he shouldnt have an answer yet. We got to watch every play,he was busying watching his team.,

I've been the same way but I'm still here, why can't Brian?

You got that right, he was referring to having his name associated with the Bears again instead of the former whinny little ex player that acts like a baby. Urlacher deserves to be part of the traditional past , he is not going to be a coach, just the figurehead of a tough football player the Bears use to have play for them, not so much lately. What his administration will aspire too.

Both Pressers were full of loaded questions. Pace's and Fox's and they both essentially said the same thing that they have not yet had the time to meet with all the players and fully evaluate the roster. It is to be expected though because the Cutler situation is such a hot topic both with the fans and the media. Pace's response was more concise while Fox's was a bit more wordy, neither would commit to say yes he is the QB or no he's not. But really till the staff is in place and He and Pace have a better feel for Jay and how he fits into the plan or doesn't. Can't really make that statement. It may or may not be a sticking point with potential OC candidates and true some may want to not involve themselves with it. That can't be helped now it is what it is. Any Candidate that interviews is going to need to present his plan for the offense as a whole, not focus on one guy to the exclusion of the other 10.

The other loaded questions about who's got control of what, when it's been spelled out that Ryan has full control of football decisions, Fox will report to him and together they will work on evaluating the roster, who stays, who goes, what kind of players they want to bring in via the draft and FA. Till all the pieces are in place I don't think it makes sense to publicly answer direct questions about Jay or anyone else. To be honest stating Jay is the QB next year or Jay isn't the QB next year can also effect candidates because I'm sure they are going to want some say in deciding who starts/who sits. Making a decision without their opinion can send the wrong message that "we want you to be the OC but, we're going to decide who plays and who doesn't."

I finally got to view the entire thing this weekend.

Loved it!

Here's my few takeaways (sorry, some you guys already hit upon)

1. Spoke with confidence, self deprecation, toughness, and humor. He owned the room. Honestly, I haven't seen that from a Bears coach since Ditka and maybe a handful of time from Wanny.

2. Loved that he was honest and non committal on staff and players. He hasn't done his due diligence. And why show your poker hand to every team out there? What we should be running on O, D, or what to do with Jay should all be internal so we can get the best possible deal in all scenarios. You think Billicheck shares that info? As much as we fans want to know...it's best the info isn't out there. And, given what we've seen Fox seems like a great caretaker to make it all happen.

3. His relationship with Pace seems healthy. Neither are wedded to one another previously. So, in theory they both had to sell themselves to one another. It looks like they did. I see real potential for a great business relationship. The vet can help the youngster...And yet Pace appears to still be in the driver seat. Let the coaches coach, and the GM manage...

4. Voiced his disdain for the handful of crummy writers in Chicago. He's ready to deal with their BS. And at the same time, looks happy to take on good questions from good writers. We all know this is a honeymoon, but there is some hope he will continue to be honest with the media as they are us fans' only wiretap to what the team's doing.

5. He seems to like George McC. I think through all this, George has given us fans a lot of hope that ownership is now getting it, and while becoming more involved, they are becoming less involved. It's important the owner know what the F is going on. But that he/she let the football men handle football.

6. He respects the tradition. Seriously, who can't? I doubt he will need to bring Ditka in to impress the players. Because Fox can sit on his own laurels. However, I love that he will reach out and chat. They are friends, and why not get some inside info? Also, attempting to build a bridge back to Url was music to my ears. Yeah, he acted like a baby, and yeah, Emery treated him with less respect than he deserved...but having our legends play nice is a good thing. Who knows? Maybe Url can come on and work a little with linebackers...maybe part of it is attempting to keep Tillman and Briggs Bears for one last year...and throw them a bone to respect their pasts. I really don't know. I do feel that whatever Fox & Pace decide on, I will back. But, I simply like the high road olive branch Fox and Pace are doing here.

7. Most importantly, Fox feels like a Chicago Bear.

:dabears

The press Conference is about to begin. I figured I'd start a thread for it, and throw out a link so ppl can watch it live.

http://www.chicagobears.com/live.html

Maybe Url can come on and work a little with linebackers...maybe part of it is attempting to keep Tillman and Briggs Bears for one last year...

Thanks for the summary. Still haven't had time to watch it myself.

I'll be a little contrary to you on the items listed above. I think you make nice with them all but I simply don't want Urlacher coaching this team in any way without experience at coaching. And I want Briggs GONE. Peanut I'd love to have back but only if he's got another season in his legs. I don't think he does but would love to see him give it another go if he can.

No problem! I'd recommend a viewing.

Honestly, I'm suspect of what you mention too. Simply, I trust Fox to do what he thinks is best. I think the Url thing may simply be some PR stuff with some appearances during camp. I really would like Peanut for one more. Briggs, not so much!

Thanks for the summary. Still haven't had time to watch it myself.

I'll be a little contrary to you on the items listed above. I think you make nice with them all but I simply don't want Urlacher coaching this team in any way without experience at coaching. And I want Briggs GONE. Peanut I'd love to have back but only if he's got another season in his legs. I don't think he does but would love to see him give it another go if he can.