Peyton Manning

Alaskan Grizzly

So got another "off the wall" scenario for you. WHAT IF Peyton was to decide to retire? Would he be worth considering as an OC? What about at least a QB coach? We know he's a student of the game. He has a few weeks to decide and is closing in on 40 (which makes him older than our GM by the way).

Maybe some day, but not straight out of retirement.

So got another "off the wall" scenario for you. WHAT IF Peyton was to decide to retire? Would he be worth considering as an OC? What about at least a QB coach? We know he's a student of the game. He has a few weeks to decide and is closing in on 40 (which makes him older than our GM by the way).

I was hoping you were going with, "WHAT IF Peyton decided to play for the Bears?" Yes please.

In terms of him being a coach, I can't see him being able to effectively deal with the different types of personalities. He's too much of a perfectionist.

I was hoping you were going with, "WHAT IF Peyton decided to play for the Bears?" Yes please.

In terms of him being a coach, I can't see him being able to effectively deal with the different types of personalities. He's too much of a perfectionist.

I had asked that (him playing) earlier and was told no in so uncertain terms. Wouldn't mind him playing but not sure hed be able to finish the year. Rather stay with Jay if I HAD to choose.

Great players more often than not have a tough time being coaches so no don't see it happening. Average or below average players more often seem to make excellent coaches as those guys had to play well without the physical talent others had. I'd have to think for a bit but I'd bet the league is full of coaches who were average or below average players like Sean Payton and John Fox. It's seems rare to find a Hall of Fame player like Ditka who became a great coach.

Besides all that, I don't want him coaching us because right now I prefer the route we're going down with experienced coaches. I don't know if Fox and Co. will win a Superbowl for us but this feels like the fastest path to getting a respectable playoff team on the field.

He has never said he wanted to coach? Probably he should have the interest first, instead of people assuming he would do that.

Agreed.

See Jeff Fisher vs Mike Singletary...

Great players more often than not have a tough time being coaches so no don't see it happening. Average or below average players more often seem to make excellent coaches as those guys had to play well without the physical talent others had. I'd have to think for a bit but I'd bet the league is full of coaches who were average or below average players like Sean Payton and John Fox. It's seems rare to find a Hall of Fame player like Ditka who became a great coach.

Besides all that, I don't want him coaching us because right now I prefer the route we're going down with experienced coaches. I don't know if Fox and Co. will win a Superbowl for us but this feels like the fastest path to getting a respectable playoff team on the field.

The last great QB I recall being a HC was Bart Starr. And while he was a great QB he sucked as a coach. Harbaugh was an average/good QB and an excellent HC, IMO.

Seems like you have to be mediocre as a player to turn into a solid coach. I'm sure there are examples to the contrary.

Regardless, I don't see Manning doing the coaching deal. It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up a GM down the line.

PS. This off season has sure been a lot more fun than the season was!