Dan Durkin / Brad Biggs Indicate Ratfliff Might be Gone

DABEARSDABOMB

Apparently their was at least one significant incident that happened during a practice. Pure speculation but hadn't heard anything of it. I would have thought he was a natural fit in a 3-4. Than again, we have Ego and Sutton so maybe Bears want to go another direction. Sounded like the combination of the "incident" (maybe their were previous ones) along with his age and the injuries made him too unreliable.

Always injured his body seems to be saying his time in the NFL is over. If we keep him that's ok but at this point I prefer we move on because $2mil is a lot for a part time player. I expect the Bears will be slow to make some decisions on who gets cut as to not tip our hand on what we are doing heading into the draft.

Apparently their was at least one significant incident that happened during a practice. Pure speculation but hadn't heard anything of it. I would have thought he was a natural fit in a 3-4. Than again, we have Ego and Sutton so maybe Bears want to go another direction. Sounded like the combination of the "incident" (maybe their were previous ones) along with his age and the injuries made him too unreliable.

In terms of the alleged incident, like with the crap Brandon Marshall pulled, I don't think you can hold a grudge with any player about something that happened last season. The inmates were running the asylum and Trestman was more concerned about "Growing the man" than running a football team. It's all about what they can do moving forward.

I might agree with the age and injuries. Although he looked real damn good at times last year. Ego and Sutton are really unproven and with the new coaching staff, I don't see us paying Paea.

He's a nice candidate for the September 1st cuts. It doesn't benefit us to cut him now.

Does anyone even know what the incident was? I don't remember anything.

I know he had a messy breakup with Dallas, so I guess I wouldn't be surprised by whatever it was.

I don't remember anything either. Usually, in cases like this, the SCORE guys will hint that something happened but are unable to reveal it. For instance, I feel like there is a lot more to the Brandon Marshall situation than what we know. As for Ratliff, as far as I know, we were happy with him both on the field and off of it.

In terms of the alleged incident, like with the crap Brandon Marshall pulled, I don't think you can hold a grudge with any player about something that happened last season. The inmates were running the asylum and Trestman was more concerned about "Growing the man" than running a football team. It's all about what they can do moving forward.

I might agree with the age and injuries. Although he looked real damn good at times last year. Ego and Sutton are really unproven and with the new coaching staff, I don't see us paying Paea.

He's a nice candidate for the September 1st cuts. It doesn't benefit us to cut him now.

There is enough film on Ego and Sutton for coaches to get a feel for what they can do. Nonetheless they were rookies and still learning on the job. Having watched Sutton his entire career at ASU I can tell you that the dramatic weight gain, and sudden weight loss for the Bears before camp, hurt his quickness. Let him stay around 290lbs and put him at DE in 3-4 and he'll be a good player for us. Ego went to the draft very young and still has a lot to learn but I think he'll be a solid player for us. He doesn't move well but that's a plus when he's at NT in a 3-4 should we go that way.

FWIW I see us being just fine in a 3-4 with existing Dline such as Paea/Sutton at DE and Ferguson at NT. Need to add more talent of course but they can all play those positions well enough to be effective.

There is enough film on Ego and Sutton for coaches to get a feel for what they can do. Nonetheless they were rookies and still learning on the job. Having watched Sutton his entire career at ASU I can tell you that the dramatic weight gain, and sudden weight loss for the Bears before camp, hurt his quickness. Let him stay around 290lbs and put him at DE in 3-4 and he'll be a good player for us. Ego went to the draft very young and still has a lot to learn but I think he'll be a solid player for us. He doesn't move well but that's a plus when he's at NT in a 3-4 should we go that way.

FWIW I see us being just fine in a 3-4 with existing Dline such as Paea/Sutton at DE and Ferguson at NT. Need to add more talent of course but they can all play those positions well enough to be effective.

I agree completely. We rebuilt our defensive line, now we just have to get them healthy and acclimated into a competent system.

To me this off-season will be the year of the linebacker. Sign a guy like Brandon Marshall and draft another at #7. The offseason is all about hope. Right now our linebackers are Jon Bostic, Christian Jones, and SMC. Close your eyes and think about that for a minute. Blech.

He was an all pro at NT in Dallas, all new coaches, why would u assume he's gone?

He was an all pro at NT in Dallas, all new coaches, why would u assume he's gone?

I'm not assuming he is gone. That is what Dan Durkin and Brad Biggs reported. I had never heard anything about any incidents with him. I would think if we moved on it would be because of injuries and his pay and the Bears basically saying, we don't want to pay a guy who we can't count on at a critical position. I liked everything I saw from Ratliff when he was on the field this past year. He played with passion, generated a pass rush and helped the line. That said, I let this new front office make up whatever minds they want and make the moves that they think make sense to ensure they have the football people and the culture to breed the long term success we all want.

I'm not assuming he is gone. That is what Dan Durkin and Brad Biggs reported. I had never heard anything about any incidents with him. I would think if we moved on it would be because of injuries and his pay and the Bears basically saying, we don't want to pay a guy who we can't count on at a critical position. I liked everything I saw from Ratliff when he was on the field this past year. He played with passion, generated a pass rush and helped the line. That said, I let this new front office make up whatever minds they want and make the moves that they think make sense to ensure they have the football people and the culture to breed the long term success we all want.

Jeff Dickerson broke down how all the Bears d-lineman would fit in with a 3-4 system. According to him, the two that won't really fit are Steven Paea (he's too short) and Jared Allen. (He also said that Will Sutton appeared to be a bust.)

It makes sense Paea leaves. It will be interesting to see what we do with Jared Allen. We misused him last year and damn we owe him a lot of money.

Jeff Dickerson broke down how all the Bears d-lineman would fit in with a 3-4 system. According to him, the two that won't really fit are Steven Paea (he's too short) and Jared Allen. (He also said that Will Sutton appeared to be a bust.)

It makes sense Paea leaves. It will be interesting to see what we do with Jared Allen. We misused him last year and damn we owe him a lot of money.

I wonder if we can get a pick for Sutton? I think he still has talent, but doesn't fit what me may want to do.

Worth noting that Glen Dorsey, all 6'1" 297 of him, was San Frans nose tackle in 2013.

I'd try trading Allen for a late round pick, and if no one bites just let him go and take the hit.

Worth noting that Glen Dorsey, all 6'1" 297 of him, was San Frans nose tackle in 2013.

I'd try trading Allen for a late round pick, and if no one bites just let him go and take the hit.

Damn good point on Dorsey. Paea doesn't have to be huge. But he is a free agent coming off his only good season and the only time he's remained healthy. Switching to a 3-4, he's not worth the cost.

I wouldn't rule out us working to incorporate Allen into the defense. He's still pretty damn good at lining up and getting into the back-field. That has value regardless of scheme.

I wonder if we can get a pick for Sutton? I think he still has talent, but doesn't fit what me may want to do.

There going to bring some players in and not get rid of players that have valve under contract. There will just run a hybrid defense and make it work out. I think they draft Ray and perryman and sign Culliver/cb and make it all work

My guess is we work to help him fit into our system. Until recently, has anybody heard that Sutton was a bust? He was the #84 pick one year ago. He didn't do much last season so a team might get a 6th round pick at best. It's much better to stay the course at this point.