Gase coming to visit his buddy Fox

'TD'

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 7m7 minutes ago

Former #Broncos OC Adam Gase is flying to Chicago to interview for #Bears OC tomorrow, source said. Could move very quickly.

I have a feeling he lands with us after Trestman beat him out in Baltimore.

I have a feeling he lands with us after Trestman beat him out in Baltimore.

Or maybe we hire him as our quarterbacks coach. Gase has been linked to all kinds of positions. Hell, it was rumored he could become the next Bears head coach. Yet, how the hell does Baltimore hire Trestman over him? Baltimore is a well run organization. Unless it's possible he turned Baltimore down . . .

In Denver, they hired Gase, a young inexperienced OC, to coach Peyton Manning. You can get away with that because Peyton was essentially the offensive coach. We have a mess on offense and need a confident veteran leader. That's my concern.

It could be my expectations are too high. When this process started, nobody thought we'd get Fox and Fangio.

Yes, have to think this is one that can get done very quickly. What is there for Fox to ask him about? I'd say this is more about Gase coming to interview the Bears and see what the environment is like versus the usual Bears interviewing him.

What's there for Fox to ask him about? Dan Pompeii Tweeted that Gase was the WR's coach when Brandon Marshall had his falling out in Denver in 2009. I remember the video on ESPN where at training camp, BM had the ball thrown to him and he was batting them to the ground.

I'm so confused with coaching rumors. On Saturday it was rumored that Gase to Atlanta as the OC was a done deal and that we had passed on Gase. Today Mark Trestman beats him out for a job? Now he's flying to Chiago.

But I agree with you, with it being publicly mentioned he's flying to Chicago, it really seems like a done deal. Considering we were rumored to want him as our head coach, that ain't bad.

He probably thought he was going to get the SF HC job, and when that fell through he was banking on the Baltimore OC job. Then Trestman got it, and now he is here.

Actually, I thought he'd get the Denver HC job. Peyton Manning likes him. Nuff said.

Baltimore hired Trestman??? I still can't get over that.

I preferred Kyle Shannahan, but Gase was my second choice. It is hard to gauge Gase because he had Manning, but many experts say he is one of the top offensive minds in the NFL. I'm willing to see how it goes. The offense has talent, but with all the different personalities, it will take a great leader to get them on the right page. Maybe Fox can be that guy.

Or maybe we hire him as our quarterbacks coach. Gase has been linked to all kinds of positions. Hell, it was rumored he could become the next Bears head coach. Yet, how the hell does Baltimore hire Trestman over him? Baltimore is a well run organization. Unless it's possible he turned Baltimore down . . .

In Denver, they hired Gase, a young inexperienced OC, to coach Peyton Manning. You can get away with that because Peyton was essentially the offensive coach. We have a mess on offense and need a confident veteran leader. That's my concern.

It could be my expectations are too high. When this process started, nobody thought we'd get Fox and Fangio.

Gase is an extremely bright mind who developed the running game well and was highly respected by Peyton. He also got to spend 2 years working with Peyton as the OC, which is probably a pretty eye-opening experience and a great learning experience. We have no idea what happened in Baltimore. We don't know if Gase decided he didn't have enough control or if they thought Trestman would be better because he'd provide more long-term continuity (they are onto their 4th OC in 4 years under Flacco) or what.

I preferred Kyle Shannahan, but Gase was my second choice. It is hard to gauge Gase because he had Manning, but many experts say he is one of the top offensive minds in the NFL. I'm willing to see how it goes. The offense has talent, but with all the different personalities, it will take a great leader to get them on the right page. Maybe Fox can be that guy.

Mike Martz, who I still argue was the best OC we had (and Cutler had his best success with him, imo, and he was clicking prior to sustaining that injury), considers Gase one of the 3 brightest offensive minds currently in the league (presume Martz considers himself the brightest NFL mind around). Absolutely raves about the creativity of Gase's offense and the playcalling, etc.

Jeremy Stoltz retweeted

Jen Lada ‏@JenLada 11m11 minutes ago

Some Bears players have been told Adam Gase will be the OC in Chicago.

Kyle ‏@Ky1eLong 4m4 minutes ago

Gase ������������

Kyle ‏@Ky1eLong 4m4 minutes ago

I haven't heard anything internally but seems like u guys have it figured out

Kyle ‏@Ky1eLong 3m3 minutes ago

I repeat - I know what you know

Jeremy Stoltz ‏@BearReport 12m12 minutes ago

Now the Colts say they won't let Rob Chudzinski interview anywhere. Obviously that includes the #Bears.

I don't think we can say for sure, one way or the other, which way thing will go with Cutler or Marshall. I suspect it'll be determined by a lot of factors including who we get in the draft, money available, free agents we may be targeting... And how much either player really pissed off the McCaskey's and/or Gase/Fox in the past. I'm sure of one thing, none of those details are available to anyone here. Rumors are not fact. And whatever their sources, the guys on the Score have been wrong at least as often as they've been right. So I won't give what they say any special credence since they're just flipping a coin.

I don't think we can say for sure, one way or the other, which way thing will go with Cutler or Marshall. I suspect it'll be determined by a lot of factors including who we get in the draft, money available, free agents we may be targeting... And how much either player really pissed off the McCaskey's and/or Gase/Fox in the past. I'm sure of one thing, none of those details are available to anyone here. Rumors are not fact. And whatever their sources, the guys on the Score have been wrong at least as often as they've been right. So I won't give what they say any special credence since they're just flipping a coin.

You can't really wait til the draft with Cutler or Marshall if you plan to outright cut them.

Marshall's base salary for 2015 becomes guaranteed March 13. Prior to March 13th, the Bears would only be responsible the prorated bonus money against the cap. If he was cut prior to the third league day, he would cost over 5 million in dead cap space. If the Bears wait till after, he will be closer to the 11 million mark.

With Cutler, 10 million of his 2016 cap number becomes guaranteed on March 13th. His cap number if cut would jump from 19.5 million to 29.5 million.

They can still be traded after the 13th. If traded they were traded, Marshal would only count around 5.4 million against the cap and Cutler would only count 4 million against the cap for this year. The draft isn't until the end of April.

You can't really wait til the draft with Cutler or Marshall if you plan to outright cut them.

Marshall's base salary for 2015 becomes guaranteed March 13. Prior to March 13th, the Bears would only be responsible the prorated bonus money against the cap. If he was cut prior to the third league day, he would cost over 5 million in dead cap space. If the Bears wait till after, he will be closer to the 11 million mark.

With Cutler, 10 million of his 2016 cap number becomes guaranteed on March 13th. His cap number if cut would jump from 19.5 million to 29.5 million.

They can still be traded after the 13th. If traded they were traded, Marshal would only count around 5.4 million against the cap and Cutler would only count 4 million against the cap for this year. The draft isn't until the end of April.

Yep. I probably should have said "positions we plan to target in the draft" rather than who we get. The pressure is clearly on to make these decisions quickly.

Does anyone know if they could go to Cutler and ask him to give up that guarantee in his current deal, maybe move that date back until September or something? That way he could prove himself to the new coaches while not killing the 2016 cap.

Yep. I probably should have said "positions we plan to target in the draft" rather than who we get. The pressure is clearly on to make these decisions quickly. Does anyone know if they could go to Cutler and ask him to give up that guarantee in his current deal, maybe move that date back until September or something? That way he could prove himself to the new coaches while not killing the 2016 cap.

He could restructure, but he is not going to give any leverage. He would be crazy to make it easier to cut.

I'd prefer someone else. I fear Gase will jump to the next HC job open he can get. Which leads us to yet another OC next year. But, it's not a bad option.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 7m7 minutes ago

Former #Broncos OC Adam Gase is flying to Chicago to interview for #Bears OC tomorrow, source said. Could move very quickly.

I'd prefer someone else. I fear Gase will jump to the next HC job open he can get. Which leads us to yet another OC next year. But, it's not a bad option.

I doubt the Bears will have the kind of success next season that would lead to him being considered that quickly. I know he was on various radars this year but the blush will be off the rose once he's on a team that goes 8-8 or worse. Once the team is again a playoff contender, sure.

Unless he has a Trestman like year one, I don't think that will be a problem. I think it will take him a couple years to get in the HC hunt again.

He could restructure, but he is not going to give any leverage. He would be crazy to make it easier to cut.

Well, except that he might think "If the Bears are still paying me for 2015 anyway and my name is mud now so I'm not going to get the next 'big deal' from another team unless I play well this year" in which case he might have some incentive to think about it.

I just don't know what the ramifications of changing that date would be on other cap calculations.