Draft Prospect interest

ASHKUM BEAR

It is that time of the year again with the Senior Bowl kicking off. Time to link players the Bears are interested in.

1-Danny Shelton DT Washington - Interview at Senior Bowl

At 6-2 339, Shelton can be a 3-4 NT, he has burst to push the pocket and plays the run well. He finished the season with 88 tackles, 16.5 TFL, 9 Sacks, and two fumble recoveries. I take his sacks with a grain of salt, because 2 came week one against Hawaii, and then 4 against Eastern Washington.

The interest could be legit as Paea is UFA and Ratliff who is older missed portions of the last couple seasons and rumors have leaked out they may release him.

I'd love to have him smack dab in the middle of the D line, esp. if they do indeed plan on moving on from Ratliff for whatever reason.

One thing to point out, was looking back at some Ego scouting reports, and there was a few that mentioned him as a 3-4 DE, not a NT (though I think he's capable of playing there.).

Houston-Shelton-Ego could be a pretty nasty front 3.

At this point I think it all depends on what they think of the OLB candidates we already have on the team. If the staff believes we need an upgrade then I can almost gaurentee Ray/Beasley/Gregory/Fowler would be the pick.

I'd love to have him smack dab in the middle of the D line, esp. if they do indeed plan on moving on from Ratliff for whatever reason. One thing to point out, was looking back at some Ego scouting reports, and there was a few that mentioned him as a 3-4 DE, not a NT (though I think he's capable of playing there.). Houston-Shelton-Ego could be a pretty nasty front 3. At this point I think it all depends on what they think of the OLB candidates we already have on the team. If the staff believes we need an upgrade then I can almost gaurentee Ray/Beasley/Gregory/Fowler would be the pick.

Not that he is linked anywhere with the Bears being interested in him, but I am intrigued in this guy. He is not a senior so more interest will arise at the combine. Maybe it is possible to draft Beasley 1st and then Phillips 2nd?:

Jordan Phillips NT Oklahoma

At 6-6 334, he has great burst for his size. 32 tackles, 7 TFL, 2 sacks, one pass deflected. Oklahoma plays a 3-4, so he knows the system. NT's generally do not put up stats, so his numbers compared to Shelton's will be different for having different roles on their teams.

Going by current mocks, I would swap with the Skins and give them a 4th, and draft Mariota at 5.

I think Cutler will at least gain a 4th in trade. That cancels out the lost pick, QB of the future is drafted, and a bad contract is gone.

Acording to some scouts, Mariota doesn't transition well. to the NFL. Specifically, he has trouble throwing the rock and making decisions. Hey, Cutl.er at least can sling the rock. So I say draft D with no. 7, God knows we need it.

Acording to some scouts, Mariota doesn't transition well. to the NFL. Specifically, he has trouble throwing the rock and making decisions. Hey, Cutl.er at least can sling the rock. So I say draft D with no. 7, God knows we need it.

I've actually heard a few say that he may transition well. Some say that he has had a lot of latitude with calling plays at the line. Although I'm not sure if that means he is actually reading the defense presented or just calling plays based on gut instinct. Something tells me that based on how Ohio State played them that he wasn't able to make that transition. I think it was Colin Cowherd that said traditionally as of late the West Coast QB's have done great against West Coast teams, but when they are playing against East Coast (or even Midwest teams) they don't do as well.

One thing that makes me suspicious is that Mariotta has ducked out of two invites this month. One being the Shrine Game and the other this week's Senior Bowl. Is that because he is trying to avoid injury or just doesn't want to showcase himself out of the Oregon system? I would think that since your team essentially flopped in the Nat'l Championship and that is the last anyone has seen you play, you might want to redeem yourself before the draft. But that's just me.

The decision making on when to throw the ball is a problem, but he does work through his reads well.

The big thing for me is this. 8 teams that made the playoffs this year have a QB that a case can be made for them being in the top 10 QB discussion. Obviously Brees, Ryan, Manning, and Rivers are in that discussion to. However, of the 20 teams with out those guys in the top 10 discussion, only 4 made it.

Defensive play makers are a huge need on this team. A QB is so much more important to a team. This is the lowest I hope to see the Bears draft in the foreseeable future. In my mind, the Bears won't be drafting in the bottom 16 again. This will be the one best chance the Bears have to make a move and get that special prospect at QB.

Going by current mocks, I would swap with the Skins and give them a 4th, and draft Mariota at 5.

I think Cutler will at least gain a 4th in trade. That cancels out the lost pick, QB of the future is drafted, and a bad contract is gone.

I literally get sick at the idea of Mariota on this team. I understand if Chip wants to get him, but other than if he lands with Chip, I think he will be a lousy QB who has an extremely high bust rate. Only QB worth taking (based upon his football ability) in the top 5 is Winston, imo.

I literally get sick at the idea of Mariota on this team. I understand if Chip wants to get him, but other than if he lands with Chip, I think he will be a lousy QB who has an extremely high bust rate. Only QB worth taking (based upon his football ability) in the top 5 is Winston, imo.

He turns the ball over too much for my liking. QB's that are drafted based solely on skill rarely turn out. That's what would scare me away from him.

He turns the ball over too much for my liking. QB's that are drafted based solely on skill rarely turn out. That's what would scare me away from him.

Winston's T/O rate isn't really that alarming, especially if you look at the film of FSU and realize how bad the skill positions were this year. The numbers he put up and the way he plays is extremely impressive, imo. Whenever I've watched FSU the past two years, I always walk away impressed with Winston and knowing that the guy is going to go off in the 2nd half. He is just a flat out good football player who is not at all afraid of the moment, the pressure, etc. He has "it" on the field. Extremely perplexing since he clearly lacks "it" off the field. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if he stays out of trouble, he's a once every 5 to 10 year type QB talent.

Guest TerraTor

Cutler transitions pretty well...

Guest TerraTor
Winston's T/O rate isn't really that alarming, especially if you look at the film of FSU and realize how bad the skill positions were this year. The numbers he put up and the way he plays is extremely impressive, imo. Whenever I've watched FSU the past two years, I always walk away impressed with Winston and knowing that the guy is going to go off in the 2nd half. He is just a flat out good football player who is not at all afraid of the moment, the pressure, etc. He has "it" on the field. Extremely perplexing since he clearly lacks "it" off the field. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if he stays out of trouble, he's a once every 5 to 10 year type QB talent.

As an fsu fan, I'd say he's garbage. Basically ej manuel

With our two DEs on the mend and Jared Allen and some unprovens, an edge pass rusher is essential and what kind is to be determined by VF. This is anexperienced smart DC and he will see what he has to work with and form the scheme. My preference is a hybrid of whatever base D we have be flexible enough to keep a team guessing and versatile enough to use the same personnel if a team is in no huddle.

With our two DEs on the mend and Jared Allen and some unprovens, an edge pass rusher is essential and what kind is to be determined by VF. This is anexperienced smart DC and he will see what he has to work with and form the scheme. My preference is a hybrid of whatever base D we have be flexible enough to keep a team guessing and versatile enough to use the same personnel if a team is in no huddle.

Fangio seems to be a huge fan of versatility and wants his plays to run hybrid formations. Not sure which part of the 3-4 scheme is the most critical but that front 7 in a 3-4 seems so important, whether it is the athletes at the LB position who play well in space or the ends like Justin Smith who can contain or the NT.

Two more prospects the Bears met with at the East West Shrine game:

Greg Henderson CB Colorado -5-11 181 4.52 Stout frame and fluid, steadily has improved each season

Dominique Brown RB Louisville - 6-2 232 4.62 spees, big physical back that can catch. Type of back I would like to see.