With new coaching staff in Place, Briggs wants back

DABEARSDABOMB

Does Briggs fit a 3-4? Given all the needs, if we add one or two young players, not a bad thing to have a dedicated Briggs back. The question really comes in to his dedication. Of course, I'm one of the few on this board that has been a huge Briggs fan, although last year he clearly was pretty upset and don't like the way he handled himself. I presume the Bears will not bring him back but in Fox / Pace I trust. I would hope Fox, Briggs, Fangio and Pace could talk and see if they thought there was a good fit. I am most concerned on his inability to stay on the field though. He was still our best lb'er (not that it says much) when he was healthy. At least make sure you don't turn this into another "Urlacher" situation. Lets handle this one right. Say what you will about Briggs, but he was a borderline hall of fame linebacker for the Bears and had a heck of a career in Chicago.

My perspective if we probably should say no thanks and try to bring some new leaders into the fold, who can be voices of the Fox / Fangio / Gase regime.

"In my opinion, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to (bring Briggs back to the Bears)," Briggs said on Monday's edition of SportsTalk Live. "Obviously, in the Draft, that's probably going to be one of the focal points is getting a linebacker, (but) a guy who's been around, a guy who understands football, who's a great football player and can play at a high level still, to me, is enticing. A guy like John Fox — love the hire — and hopefully I get a call and I get an opportunity to come back and play in Chicago, where I'm supposed to be."

Kicked inside he could be solid a solid fit. But ya it all comes down to if he's dedicated. I'd give him an incentave heavy deal.

I was thinking a 3-4 might actually extend his life. He can read a defense and tackle, its more that his range is limited but in a 3-4, he'll actually need to cover less ground and in reality play better for an older Briggs. That said, I still have a lot to learn when it comes to all of the nuances of a 3-4 defense.

I'd prefer to cut the ties, but in Fox I trust...

His call and I support it.

Does Briggs fit a 3-4? Given all the needs, if we add one or two young players, not a bad thing to have a dedicated Briggs back. The question really comes in to his dedication. Of course, I'm one of the few on this board that has been a huge Briggs fan, although last year he clearly was pretty upset and don't like the way he handled himself. I presume the Bears will not bring him back but in Fox / Pace I trust. I would hope Fox, Briggs, Fangio and Pace could talk and see if they thought there was a good fit. I am most concerned on his inability to stay on the field though. He was still our best lb'er (not that it says much) when he was healthy. At least make sure you don't turn this into another "Urlacher" situation. Lets handle this one right. Say what you will about Briggs, but he was a borderline hall of fame linebacker for the Bears and had a heck of a career in Chicago.

My perspective if we probably should say no thanks and try to bring some new leaders into the fold, who can be voices of the Fox / Fangio / Gase regime.

I loved Briggs, was very close to buying a Briggs jersey. Last year ruined it for me. If he showed up to camp in the best shape of his life, ready to go I bet he could be a good LB for the Bears.

Sign him to a contract that is Bear friendly, if he gets cut he gets nothing. I bet he comes in to camp in shape. If he is slow and fat they can cut his ass.

Its a win win for the Bears. Fox can make an example of him if he is not a team player. Also it could go over well with the team, shows the Bears care about their guys. They will at least have given Briggs a chance to go out as a Bear. The Bears may have lost the team with the way they treated 54. Let Briggs hang himself or prove himself

I was thinking a 3-4 might actually extend his life. He can read a defense and tackle, its more that his range is limited but in a 3-4, he'll actually need to cover less ground and in reality play better for an older Briggs. That said, I still have a lot to learn when it comes to all of the nuances of a 3-4 defense.

Ya, at this point I think inside a 3-4 would be his best bet at still playing at a highish level. At the right price I'd welcome him back.

Bring back the guy who admitted he blew off film study? Don't want him in the room with the young guys at all. If he can't even focus on that given the team sticking with a similar scheme in part for him then why would I think he'll put the effort into learning a brand new system? The team has the perfect way out with the likely transition to 3-4 and they should take it.

Bring back the guy who admitted he blew off film study? Don't want him in the room with the young guys at all. If he can't even focus on that given the team sticking with a similar scheme in part for him then why would I think he'll put the effort into learning a brand new system? The team has the perfect way out with the likely transition to 3-4 and they should take it.

I can see both sides. If he got in shape and gave 100% effort then Im cool with him coming back for another year. Only because there are a lot of holes to fill on the Defense.

Experienced pro bowl LB could help with the transition from the 3-4 to the 4-3, that would only happen if he was 100% bought into the new Coaching staff and in shape.

The less holes to fill the better, and the better chance Pace has at drafting BPA. The only way the Bears gets this thing turned around is through the draft.

The only way i see Briggs coming back is if Fox sits down with him and get the promise of a team player Briggs, not fat disgruntled Briggs.

No thanks. He's washed up.

Yep. Maybe not physically but he proved last year he was mentally washed up. Listen, I don't think the team needs to be 100% boy scout. I expect a few disgruntled folks when the team is going down the tubes like last season. And Briggs still smarting about how #54 was treated, OK fine. But I do expect a mental toughness to the athletes I root for in Chicago sports. Guys that never take a play off, play through injuries, love the game and are good stewards of it. Briggs was never really a good role model and last season he took it to a new level of douchebagerry. I expect they'll give him every chance to return given the needs of this team but they should do a contract that puts him on a VERY short leash if they sign him again.

My preference would be to completely cut ties with him and move on. But I'm a realist and understand there may be a position for him on this team during the transition period. Whatever Fox and Pace decide is OK with me but I hope he's not part of the team's plans for the 2015 season.

My preference would be to completely cut ties with him and move on. But I'm a realist and understand there may be a position for him on this team during the transition period. Whatever Fox and Pace decide is OK with me but I hope he's not part of the team's plans for the 2015 season.

The only way I would consider having Briggs back is if we are in win now mode and he was the missing piece of the puzzle. He's never played inside in the NFL, so why would be want to try him for a year. They would simply lose a year of developing someone much more ascending.

The scenario I see him in is:

1. Fox is convinced he's no longer a cancer

2. We have zero depth at LB...

The only way I would consider having Briggs back is if we are in win now mode and he was the missing piece of the puzzle. He's never played inside in the NFL, so why would be want to try him for a year. They would simply lose a year of developing someone much more ascending.

Lance Briggs comes in ranked 2nd on PFFs free agent LB list. He had a 7.6 rating.

Is Brandon Marshall #1 on that list? Who is 3, 4, and 5? Because at this point Briggs is a guy you use to supplement your defense. Unfortunately, we have no linebackers worth a damn for him to supplement. We've got a ton of bad young players: Bostic, Green, Shea, Jones . . . are any of them worth a damn?

Which of our current DE's are able to convert to linebacker in a 3-4?

I mention this because we have to prioritize a linebacker in FA because we have nobody. And we have to draft a LB early.

I don't care what Briggs did or didn't do last year. It's just with all this uncertainty, having him return to a new system only adds to the uncertainty.

I don't know that the team has horrible LBs available to them. Young yes but not total crap. For one they must have had seen something they liked in Lattimore since he was just resigned. But with Jones and Bostic I think there is big potential there. And you forgot Sharpton showed an awful lot of promise about mid-year. All is not lost In the LB ranks.

Now as far as a veteran leader? Not Briggs but maybe a FA from elsewhere? There a few good ones out there. What abut the 'other Brandon Marshall'? He's apoetentual FA isn't he? And has been in Fox' system already.

I don't know that the team has horrible LBs available to them. Young yes but not total crap. For one they must have had seen something they liked in Lattimore since he was just resigned. But with Jones and Bostic I think there is big potential there. And you forgot Sharpton showed an awful lot of promise about mid-year. All is not lost In the LB ranks.

Now as far as a veteran leader? Not Briggs but maybe a FA from elsewhere? There a few good ones out there. What abut the 'other Brandon Marshall'? He's apoetentual FA isn't he? And has been in Fox' system already.

Switching to a 3-4, name one guy who is guaranteed a starting job . . . think about that. Who is your guy you want out there opening day that doesn't make a Bear fan groan? Can you name one?

Am I the only one who pondered, "We signed Lattimore . . . I watched every Bear game, pre-game, post-game, and everything leading up to Bear Sunday . . . Who the hell is Lattimore?"

I'm good with the other Brandon Marshall. And the current one for that matter.

Is Brandon Marshall #1 on that list? Who is 3, 4, and 5? Because at this point Briggs is a guy you use to supplement your defense. Unfortunately, we have no linebackers worth a damn for him to supplement. We've got a ton of bad young players: Bostic, Green, Shea, Jones . . . are any of them worth a damn?

Which of our current DE's are able to convert to linebacker in a 3-4?

I mention this because we have to prioritize a linebacker in FA because we have nobody. And we have to draft a LB early.

I don't care what Briggs did or didn't do last year. It's just with all this uncertainty, having him return to a new system only adds to the uncertainty.

Marshall isnt on the list because theres little to no chance he becomes a FA. I got ahead of myself in my desire for him awhile back. Broncos can give him a minimum job and he has to resign.

#1 was Rolando McClain. Then Brandon Spikes, Geno Hayes, and Jason Trusnik were 3,4, and 5 in that order.

I'm not sure if PFF takes range into account though, I think this just tells us that Briggs was good at making plays when it was in his area.

Like DBDB said I think as an ILB, a lot of his range issues get covered up because he won't have to cover as much ground.

Another thing I read was in a 3-4 one of the ILBs jobs is to essentially take on whatever OL goes to the 2nd level to keep the other ILB clean. At the right price, I think Briggs would do a pretty good job with this.

With any and every LB, unless they come from San Fran there will be uncertainty.

I think there's enough potential on thus team right now with guys like Bostic Jones, Sharpton, Dede apparently, SMC in a 3-4, Bass and Washington converting, that if they all battled it out I tthink the coaches would put a good group of 4 guys out there.

You can certainly add to that, and I'm sure they will, but I dont see us needing 3 new ones and maybe not even 2.

Hell I'd be fine with bringing back Briggs and going with Young-Briggs-Jones/Bostic/Rev-SMC/Washington/Bass but that's me. A guy like Ray in the first or Kikaha in the 2nd certainly does make more since though, esp when you consider Young might not be ready.

I'm kinda excited to see if Washington can carve out a role. Rememberthis dude is a freak athlete, and I wouldnt be shocked one bit if he emerges under a new legit coaching staff.

Marshall isnt on the list because theres little to no chance he becomes a FA. I got ahead of myself in my desire for him awhile back. Broncos can give him a minimum job and he has to resign.

#1 was Rolando McClain. Then Brandon Spikes, Geno Hayes, and Jason Trusnik were 3,4, and 5 in that order.

I'm not sure if PFF takes range into account though, I think this just tells us that Briggs was good at making plays when it was in his area.

Like DBDB said I think as an ILB, a lot of his range issues get covered up because he won't have to cover as much ground.

Another thing I read was in a 3-4 one of the ILBs jobs is to essentially take on whatever OL goes to the 2nd level to keep the other ILB clean. At the right price, I think Briggs would do a pretty good job with this.

With any and every LB, unless they come from San Fran there will be uncertainty.

I think there's enough potential on thus team right now with guys like Bostic Jones, Sharpton, Dede apparently, SMC in a 3-4, Bass and Washington converting, that if they all battled it out I tthink the coaches would put a good group of 4 guys out there.

You can certainly add to that, and I'm sure they will, but I dont see us needing 3 new ones and maybe not even 2.

Hell I'd be fine with bringing back Briggs and going with Young-Briggs-Jones/Bostic/Rev-SMC/Washington/Bass but that's me. A guy like Ray in the first or Kikaha in the 2nd certainly does make more since though, esp when you consider Young might not be ready.

I'm kinda excited to see if Washington can carve out a role. Rememberthis dude is a freak athlete, and I wouldnt be shocked one bit if he emerges under a new legit coaching staff.

Briggs should never be in the thought process, its time to go young and look to the future, he doesnt bring leadership, and his skills have eroded. time to move on. With our LBs all we have is ? marks, we have to draft a rush LB, the coaching staff will decide to do that. Hopefully the new coaches find the valve in some of remaining LBs, but it is still to be shown of the field.