With new coaching staff in Place, Briggs wants back

DABEARSDABOMB

Switching to a 3-4, name one guy who is guaranteed a starting job . . . think about that. Who is your guy you want out there opening day that doesn't make a Bear fan groan? Can you name one?

Am I the only one who pondered, "We signed Lattimore . . . I watched every Bear game, pre-game, post-game, and everything leading up to Bear Sunday . . . Who the hell is Lattimore?"

I'm good with the other Brandon Marshall. And the current one for that matter.

I thought I did name one, two and three LBs that I think potentially could start on the team this year. Bostic, Jones and Sharpton are all capable. They don't make me "groan" but I'm certainly intrigued.

*Edit: I don't think it would be fair to judge our current roster by their coaching from the previous regime especially from the likes of Tucker.

New DC Fangio was pretty successful with third round talent in SF (Bowman, Brooks and up and comer Borland). Im pretty sure he'll be able to squeeze some productivity out of our guys. It would still be nice if they could add a veteran talent in the mix who is familar with either Fangio or Fox' style of D.

I thought I did name one, two and three LBs that I think potentially could start on the team this year. Bostic, Jones and Sharpton are all capable. They don't make me "groan" but I'm certainly intrigued.

*Edit: I don't think it would be fair to judge our current roster by their coaching from the previous regime especially from the likes of Tucker.

New DC Fangio was pretty successful with third round talent in SF (Bowman, Brooks and up and comer Borland). Im pretty sure he'll be able to squeeze some productivity out of our guys. It would still be nice if they could add a veteran talent in the mix who is familar with either Fangio or Fox' style of D.

One of my biggest complaints last year was how our defense always seemed to be out of position. Either they lined up wrong, were out of position to make a play (and had to recover) or completely played the wrong gap; it was a like a guessing game and we always lost. The units also seemed disjointed. The DLine, LBs, and DBs were never on the same sheet of music. We would blitz and the CBs would be 10 yards off, or Safeties would come up and the CBs would expect support of the top. This occurred on every play. We only tackled the other team by accidentally running into them. The entire defense looked confused pre-snap too and then we were just chasing players on every play. This is all on Tucker.

It will be a complete 180 this year with a real Head Coach and real Defensive Coordinator. Players will know "their job" on every play and know where they need to be. The Bears were the best Cover-0 team in the league (covering open space) last year.

In a weird way, I think the epic fail of a defense negatively impacted our offense. The offense would fool our defense with plays that would fool no one else, we telegraphed every play, yet our defense was so bad it got fooled. So our offense was under-prepared to handle real defensive schemes and how to counter various pressures. Our offense was built to beat the Cover-0 and we were the only team playing it.

Switching to a 3-4, name one guy who is guaranteed a starting job . . . think about that. Who is your guy you want out there opening day that doesn't make a Bear fan groan? Can you name one?

Am I the only one who pondered, "We signed Lattimore . . . I watched every Bear game, pre-game, post-game, and everything leading up to Bear Sunday . . . Who the hell is Lattimore?"

I'm good with the other Brandon Marshall. And the current one for that matter.

I believe Lattimore was a practice squad player that looked decent in preseason.

Recent draft history shows that no teams are taking many pure nose tackles in the top ten and in the last 3 drafts no defensive tackles were taken in the top 10. Going all the way back to the 2007 draft here is a list of all the DTs that were drafted in the top 10;

2014. None

2013. None

2012. None

2011. Marcell Dareus #3

2010. Ndamukong Suh #2

Gerald McCoy #3

Tyson Aluala #10

2009. BJ Raji #9

2008. Glenn Dorsey #5

Sedrick Ellis #7

2007.Amobi Okoye #10

Most of these picks were made with pass rush in mind with the eception of Dareus ,Raji and Aluala.

Recent draft history shows that no teams are taking many pure nose tackles in the top ten and in the last 3 drafts no defensive tackles were taken in the top 10. Going all the way back to the 2007 draft here is a list of all the DTs that were drafted in the top 10;

2014. None

2013. None

2012. None

2011. Marcell Dareus #3

2010. Ndamukong Suh #2

Gerald McCoy #3

Tyson Aluala #10

2009. BJ Raji #9

2008. Glenn Dorsey #5

Sedrick Ellis #7

2007.Amobi Okoye #10

Most of these picks were made with pass rush in mind with the eception of Dareus ,Raji and Aluala.

They werent top 10, but the last 3 years the first DT taken (Aaron Donald, Sheldon Richardson, and Dontari Poe) all made the pro bowl.

They may not be taken in the too 10, but they are all worthy.

Also, you mention that most of those picks were made with pass rush involved as if Shelton isnt a pass rusher. His size may have you confused,but Shelton certainly is a pass rusher. He was 19th in the nation in sacks and 14th in sacks

They werent top 10, but the last 3 years the first DT taken (Aaron Donald, Sheldon Richardson, and Dontari Poe) all made the pro bowl.

They may not be taken in the too 10, but they are all worthy.

Also, you mention that most of those picks were made with pass rush involved as if Shelton isnt a pass rusher. His size may have you confused,but Shelton certainly is a pass rusher. He was 19th in the nation in sacks and 14th in sacks

Which of those names are Nose tackles and which are 3 tech?

Which of those names are Nose tackles and which are 3 tech?

Poe is a NT.

Big "Nose tackles" often don't go early because theyre usually viewed as 2 down players who need a lot of rest. Guys like Poe, Raji, Ngata, and now Shelton are more than that, Shelton was an elite run stuffer who has a non stop motor as evidence by his 98 tackles, and again he ranked in the top 20 in both sacks and TFLs, so hes no doubt a 3 down player.

Poe is a NT.

Big "Nose tackles" often don't go early because theyre usually viewed as 2 down players who need a lot of rest. Guys like Poe, Raji, Ngata, and now Shelton are more than that, Shelton was an elite run stuffer who has a non stop motor as evidence by his 98 tackles, and again he ranked in the top 20 in both sacks and TFLs, so hes no doubt a 3 down player.

So you are saying the other 2 were not nose tackles? So that supports my point. Nose tackles are generally taken later in round 1 and after. This is the recent trend. Raji for example I believe is a UFA and can be had if that what they ar going to do but if I'm Pace and Fox I tell Ferguson to pick up weight and put him in a rotation with Ratliff who has played in th 0 tech before.