Feeley Gives His Perspectives on the Bears

DABEARSDABOMB

Amazing how must of us were able to make the same conclusions and we weren't even in the locker room.

I think it safe to say that neither Trestman nor Cutler are the definitions of leadership. Trestman is good at one thing (offense) and lacks the skill or ability to lead a group in the grander scheme. Jay is more a leader by example than a verbal leader. And when I say example I mean to say that he will sacrifice himself on the field to show that he's 'all in' on game day, but when it comes time to verbally discuss a strategy on the sidelines or bring folks together when they need to focus, Jay's not your man. In fact, and speaking to the vacuum that Feely referred to, that was one large reason both Trestman and Emery failed in keeping an outspoken leader (Urlacher) on the roster. Probably would have helped more in keeping the team together.

It was really bad if the kicker saw that. Now the only things to add for context, we had just lost to Detroit, were 5-7 and essentially eliminated from playoff contention. Two games later Cutler was benched for Clausen, and then we played Minnesota. So I can see how there would be even less leadership visible at that point as we all were just trying to get the season over with.

When Urlacher was not re-signed, this was mentioned, he was the leader of the team and rallied the troops. Cutler just doesn't have that in him. He has shown it more on the field, but obviously he doesn't do it in the locker room.

The positive out of that article is that even Feely acknowledged that we are "loaded with talent".

Saw that article earlier and thought about posting in here about it. It confirms what most of us have assumed or thought from the outside looking in. While no doubt Trestman knows his offensive x's and o's he lacks the ability to lead a team in a larger capacity like head coach. I would qualify that by saying he has a great mind for offense in a vacuum, but doesn't adapt well to his surroundings. His offenses stagnate and decline after the first year. It's pretty clear that he never fully had the locker room, and never really gained the respect of the team as a whole and thus they didn't care to follow him and in some cases acted like that child who doesn't respect their parent and constantly pushes the boundaries to see how far they can push. I'm sure to some on the team it became a joke, he became a joke. Sure glad George pulled the toilet handle and flushed these two turds out of the building. Also agree about Cutler, no doubt he's a tough SOB and when he's motivated leads by example but is not the type to step up in the locker room and be the leader there or on the sidelines, and that only works if that void is filled by someone else, and we don't really have that someone else. That indeed was the value Brian brought to the team his body may have started to fail him, but the leadership, and ability to act as a coach on the field or from the sidelines became his greatest asset towards the end. Once gone there really was no one left to fill that role. So we were left with a spineless head coach with his toolbox of football concepts trying to 'grow the man' rather than lead the team. And a QB this is like a personalty black hole. it's no surprise the result was chaos. I'm just thankful George, Virginia, and the Bears ownership recognized the problem and elected to perform the emergency surgery to save the patient. I'm glad Dr. Death, and Emery are no longer our problem.

The article actually makes me optimistic. Fox is known to be a strong leader. One thing about good leaders is that they know one when they see one. It will be important for them to find those guys and channel the locker room through them. This can help Jay if he's never going to be the voice. Fox will be that strong from the top which will help as well.

We are building. Not necessarily re-building. But it's semantics I suppose.

We need to build up the D. We need to add more, better and younger.

We also need to keep drafting for the OL. And draft a battering ram RB or finally get a stuf FB. And find a compliment to Unicorn. ...and a speedy WR. It's a lot. ...oh yeah, and draft and groom a QB this or next season.

So from, that...we are building. But we aren't a train wreck fire sale.

Right. I meant to comment on that very point. And why I don't think the Bears are in a "rebuilding" mode. Even if they don't keep Cutler and go to a 3-4 D.

It was really bad if the kicker saw that. Now the only things to add for context, we had just lost to Detroit, were 5-7 and essentially eliminated from playoff contention. Two games later Cutler was benched for Clausen, and then we played Minnesota. So I can see how there would be even less leadership visible at that point as we all were just trying to get the season over with.

When Urlacher was not re-signed, this was mentioned, he was the leader of the team and rallied the troops. Cutler just doesn't have that in him. He has shown it more on the field, but obviously he doesn't do it in the locker room.

The positive out of that article is that even Feely acknowledged that we are "loaded with talent".

I think that could be a reason why Jay would have been even "less" of a leader at that point (since he was pretty much on the outs by that time). However, I guarantee Feeley talked to others who confirmed what he thought and said yep, been like this all year.