3-4 information

Stinger226

read this somewhere and gives some info on Fangio and how it fits.

Call it what you will but Fangio's defense is not a straightforward vanilla 3-4. His NT still plays a one gap shade position which actually does fit a guy like Stephen Paea and they can also use Ratliff in that.e role. Fangio plays his other DT as a 3 tech similar to a one gap 4-3 so Sutton is not a waste and Paea and Ratliff can also play that position. If Houston recovers from his injury and starts playing heads up ball again if he can add back 10-15 lbs he can play the RDE spot Justin Smith plays in SF which is where Houston played in Oakland and possibly rotate with Jared Allen there provided Allen can handle that assignment. If not they may play him as a stand up DE and Ego Ferguson may play at that DE spot or as a two tech NT.

Get Willie Young back as a stand up DE/OLB like Aldon Smith and add another OLB/DE from the draft like Shane Ray or from FA or maybe guys like Washington or Bass step up and you have the makings of a DL that can show both 4-3 and 3-4 looks. The bigger need is to find a true MLB and add at least one more 3-4 type ILB. I'm still thinking the best place for Shea McClellin is an always has been at MLB or ILB in a 3-4. He has great speed and range and by blitzing him through the A gaps he becomes a more affective pass rusher than he ever been from the edge where often gets out of position and fails to seal the edge or loses contain. The young guy Christian Jones may be do better on the edge or possibly in the middle as a 3-4 ILB. Bostic is a failure as a 4-3 MLB but may be able to handle it in a 3-4 with Jones playing OLB on the weak side.

The defense needs to fill some gaps but overall there should be enough talent there to mold a hybrid defense out of that's far less predictable and can attack the way Pace, Fox and Fangio would like to see it done. It's all about getting players in the right positions and getting them playing downhill again. That didn't happen with Tucker. They seemed confused, chaotic, and tentative and played on their heels not on their toes. They weren't the attackers they were the defenders and it was like a perpetual prevent defense.

I can agree with pretty much all of this except maybe SMC as an ILB. I think he is still best served at OLB which is what got him a first round grade in the draft.

I hate to say it, but dont think SMC will probably be around. His ship has been out to sea and dont see it coming back. Sometimes high picks dont work out. I hope Im wrong.

I hate to say it, but dont think SMC will probably be around. His ship has been out to sea and dont see it coming back. Sometimes high picks dont work out. I hope Im wrong.

I truly believe he's just played out of position his whole career.

With Young perhaps out for a bit I think SMC would have the upper hand on Washington, Bass, and Jones at OLB while Young recovers.

I truly believe he's just played out of position his whole career.

With Young perhaps out for a bit I think SMC would have the upper hand on Washington, Bass, and Jones at OLB while Young recovers.

A good player,even out of position would show much more than he has. Its not all because he is out of position, I think he is not a NFL football player .

I think SMC was stunted by his position and Mel Tucker's lack of coaching. Just read some of the comments on him fro m draft analysts before the draft:

http://blogs.thescore.com/nfl/2012/04/16/d...shea-mcclellin/

I feel for Shea, he is a great kid. Worked his butt off to transcend to a DE and then to a LB. He tries too hard. Watch him crash into plays after the whistle blows. His instincts are what kills him. He has alway over thought, why? Because he wants a little love.

I still believe that Emery made that pick to outsmart Green Bay and not do what was best for the current coaching staff's scheme. Prior to the draft it was strongly rumored that GB was on Shea.

Seeing some of the pre-draft videos of Shea he lined up everywhere similar to Urlacher and I felt that he could be the heir aparent at the MLB spot because of his range in coverage in the videos I saw. So when Urlacher got shown the door, I figured Shea to MLB and Bostic to SAM. I still like the idea and belive inside is where he might be best as oppossed to Bostic who needs to be limited to one side of the field.