GM for the day(free agents) defense

Stinger226

I think that most of our draft picks will be on defense. Our DC will take what we get in the draft along with the pieces we have to form whatever defense the talent allows.

I think they fit some pieces in from free agency.

DL-With Houston and Young coming back from injuries it muddles the expectations of pieces we have that will fit in to the new scheme on defense.

Bass and Washington will be tried at OLB so Houston, maybe Sutton are the only two DE types we have on the roster.

We dont have the true NT type but think with Ratliff and Furgeson we have two that could play the role.

Paea- was our best DL last year but doubt if he can play the DE spot in the 3-4, so dont think he will be back.

conclusion: If Houston can comeback from injury,and Sutton and Ferguson can fit in the new scheme, the cupboard might not be as bear as it looks.

Alex Carrington- He is a DT that has had some injury problems but is perfect fit to play the DE spot

Jared Orlrick- He has a lot of upside and could fit in nicely at the DE spot

BJ Raji- if we could motivate him he can play the NT quite well.

LBs- Dont think SMC is an NFL football player , so I think he goes away.

Jones and Bostic still have much to prove and hope with a new scheme they shine.

Bass, Washington, and Young and get new life in a 3-4 scheme.

Nate Irving- played for Fox and could be brought in at a fair price.

conclusion: We have bodies at the position but hard to detemine if it works out in the new scheme.I think we draft a couple of LBs.

CB- We have one bright star and even thou he is short Jennings is a physcial corner and can play the spot well. We will still need bodies.

Culliver- Played for our DC and could be brought in to compete.

Robinson- Played in NOs so maybe Pace can get him here on a song.

T. Brown- Played in SF two years ago and played well so there is connect to our DC.

conclusion: we need some better players and lots of depth at this position, think FA and the draft addresses the need.

S- Ryan Munday and Vereen can be ok as our backups but we need a big increase in talent at this positon.

R. Moore- played for Fox and has good upside, much better player than we have at that position.

R Searcy- played well his first year as a starter and has good upside.

conclusion we definitly add bodies here in free agency and in the draft.

HELP Hopefully we have some talent that the last coaching staff couldnt get our of defense, plus we need mas player upgrade.

Ya, defense is such a mystery at this point. There are quite few guys that showed flashes and/or have the athletic ability to surprise IF given a shot. The question remains to be seen whether or not they WILL get those shots or if they'll get thrown to the back burner in favor of free agents and draft picks.

Guys like Bostic, Jones, Washington, Bass, Vereen, Ego, Sutton, and even SMC and Mundy(as a strict box safety who try to keep out of coverage as much as possible) could surprise/have roles on the D with proper tutelage.

Remember Bostic in the preseason the year he was drafted? People were going nuts about him. Was it just preseason or was he merely hindered by bad coaching that hadn't really got to him yet?

I do see us bringing in some familiar faces in one of Perish Cox or Chris Culliver to play opposite of Fuller, and Raheem Moore as well if they decide they don't wanna go all out on McCourty....The front 7 more than likely gets attacked in the draft.

I'm kinda starting to think, after looking back at some scouting reports, that Ego will be better suited outside, and at his age I think JayRat is better suited out there as well. Which is why I'm so high on drafting Shelton.....Raji at this point isn't a starter. Pot Roast (Knighton) intrigues me more.

Ya, defense is such a mystery at this point. There are quite few guys that showed flashes and/or have the athletic ability to surprise IF given a shot. The question remains to be seen whether or not they WILL get those shots or if they'll get thrown to the back burner in favor of free agents and draft picks.

Guys like Bostic, Jones, Washington, Bass, Vereen, Ego, Sutton, and even SMC and Mundy(as a strict box safety who try to keep out of coverage as much as possible) could surprise/have roles on the D with proper tutelage.

Remember Bostic in the preseason the year he was drafted? People were going nuts about him. Was it just preseason or was he merely hindered by bad coaching that hadn't really got to him yet?

I do see us bringing in some familiar faces in one of Perish Cox or Chris Culliver to play opposite of Fuller, and Raheem Moore as well if they decide they don't wanna go all out on McCourty....The front 7 more than likely gets attacked in the draft.

I'm kinda starting to think, after looking back at some scouting reports, that Ego will be better suited outside, and at his age I think JayRat is better suited out there as well. Which is why I'm so high on drafting Shelton.....Raji at this point isn't a starter. Pot Roast (Knighton) intrigues me more.

Your so right about being a mystery, we dont know what we will be running, who of own players that will valuable, it makes for the most intriguing offseason I have been associated with as a Bear fan. Love it. I think we agree a lot of the time, your smarter than I give you credit for, but I do think there will be no big contract FAs . We will see.

I think people were going crazy about Bostic because of the hits he laid down. When he's not laying hits, he's been a bad football player. I'm not sure it is completely Coaching, as other guys like Jones and Sharpton came out not looking bad compared to their expectations.

Remember Bostic in them preseason the year he was drafted? People were going nuts about him. Was it just preseason or was he merely hindered by bad coaching that hadn't really got to him yet?

I would love to see a scouts or former coaches break down on the Bears roster and who can play what in a 3-4. My question on Young as an OLB, is can he cover a TE? He would most likely play the strong side which takes on blocks more or covers the TE.

I think people were going crazy about Bostic because of the hits he laid down. When he's not laying hits, he's been a bad football player. I'm not sure it is completely Coaching, as other guys like Jones and Sharpton came out not looking bad compared to their expectations.

Agreed. I hope we can harvest according to his strengths...

Here is my wish list, with some secondary options, if we could get one from each position, we would be going into the draft with a lot less holes to fill:

Defense:

1. Rahim Moore, S, 25

1b. Da'Norris Searcy, S, 27

2a. Chris Culliver, CB, 27

2b. Kareem Jackson, CB, 27

3. Terrance Knighton, NT, 29

4. David Harris, ILB, 31

5a. Pernell McPhee, DE/OLB, 26

5b. Jason Worilds, DE/OLB, 27

We would look something like this before the draft:

DLine: Houston, Ratliff, Ferguson, Knighton, Allen, Washington, Bass

LB: Bostic, McClellin, Young, Jones, Greene, Harris, McPhee

CB: Jennings, Fuller, Culliver, Louis-Jean, Mitchell

S: Mundy, Vereen, Moore, Walters

As a 3-4 ILB, Bostic would have less space responsibility which I think benefits him. But with less space, he will have more bodies on him. Can Bostic and Jones become Bowman and Willis?

Thats why I think its an absolute must to get a guy upfront who will demand constant double teams. A strong DL will help a lesser LB group out big time. Hell I wouldn't hate to see them add 2 guys that will cause problems on the DL. Games are won in the trenches folks.

Here is my wish list, with some secondary options, if we could get one from each position, we would be going into the draft with a lot less holes to fill:

Defense:

1. Rahim Moore, S, 25

1b. Da'Norris Searcy, S, 27

2a. Chris Culliver, CB, 27

2b. Kareem Jackson, CB, 27

3. Terrance Knighton, NT, 29

4. David Harris, ILB, 31

5a. Pernell McPhee, DE/OLB, 26

5b. Jason Worilds, DE/OLB, 27

We would look something like this before the draft:

DLine: Houston, Ratliff, Ferguson, Knighton, Allen, Washington, Bass

LB: Bostic, McClellin, Young, Jones, Greene, Harris, McPhee

CB: Jennings, Fuller, Culliver, Louis-Jean, Mitchell

S: Mundy, Vereen, Moore, Walters

Missed this post last night..uh yes plz.

This would allow the bears to either trade down and build up even more talent or, and this is perhaps my favorite thing to do, grab an offensive tackle at 7.

Missed this post last night..uh yes plz.

This would allow the bears to either trade down and build up even more talent or, and this is perhaps my favorite thing to do, grab an offensive tackle at 7.

It is probably a pipe dream, but if we brought in 5 new defensive starters via free agency, and filled 2-3 more in the draft, we would essentially have an entirely new defense going into 2015 (which would be awesome). We actually have the cap space especially if we can structure the contracts to kick in starting in 2016. Wishful thinking, but at least one free agent upgrade on the line, LB, CB, and Safety seems reasonable. If we are going to the 3-4, we will obviously need more LBs than DLinemen.

It is probably a pipe dream, but if we brought in 5 new defensive starters via free agency, and filled 2-3 more in the draft, we would essentially have an entirely new defense going into 2015 (which would be awesome). We actually have the cap space especially if we can structure the contracts to kick in starting in 2016. Wishful thinking, but at least one free agent upgrade on the line, LB, CB, and Safety seems reasonable. If we are going to the 3-4, we will obviously need more LBs than DLinemen.

Do we need 5 new starters on defense? As has been mentioned, the cupboard ain't bare on the d-line. Jennings and Fuller make a decent tandem at CB. Munday is ok. The entire damn defense is better if we are not going 3 & out all the time.

We HAVE to add a top linebacker. There is not one linebacker currently on the roster we can declare as a definite starter. We need to add another top player in the secondary, either CB or safety. The rest we can supplement through the draft.

Do we need 5 new starters on defense? As has been mentioned, the cupboard ain't bare on the d-line. Jennings and Fuller make a decent tandem at CB. Munday is ok. The entire damn defense is better if we are not going 3 & out all the time.

We HAVE to add a top linebacker. There is not one linebacker currently on the roster we can declare as a definite starter. We need to add another top player in the secondary, either CB or safety. The rest we can supplement through the draft.

DT is a need with Paea possibly leaving and Ratliff on his final year on contract. Shelton would make a nice center piece. Safety is a need as I don't think they will count on Vereen and Mundy if they have options. CB needs depth, Jennings play has dropped off. OLB needs to be addressed as Shea hasn't blossomed and will be on his final year.

I wouldn't expect major changes outside of the above positions listed. I think by adding Fangio and Fox, we will get better production out of the core we have.

1-Shelton DT

2-Holliman or D Smith S

I see 1 starting DL, 1 FS, 1 CB, 1, maybe 2 LBs, and possibly 1 SS. With the DLmen I think there's some flexibility there with Ego and Ratliff being able to play the 5 or the 0. Young, IMO should be penciled in for OLB (and if he isn't healthy, one of SMC/Washington/Bass/Jones fills in in the mean time). Jones showed why he was being talked about as a 2R pick last year, and barring him getting into some kind of trouble, I think he starts. Bostic is somewhat of a wild card I guess. PFF pegged him as the definition of average last year with a 0.0 rating. Coached up and put in the right position to succeed I think he's capable of playing well above average.

Even if we call it 6 starters needed, filling 3 in FA and 3 in the draft is absolutely doable.

Technically, we need 2x Safeties, 2-3x LBs (only 4 currently under contract), 2 CBs (Jennings is not a starter anymore and Fuller may end up only being a Nickelback), and at least 1x on the line.

Technically, we need 2x Safeties, 2-3x LBs (only 4 currently under contract), 2 CBs (Jennings is not a starter anymore and Fuller may end up only being a Nickelback), and at least 1x on the line.

I actually think Jennings will play better as a man CB, and Fuller could be a really good FS.