Veteran Combine

adam

I totally missed this, so sorry if this is a repost, but this seems like a great idea for teams to get an apples to apples comparison of vets trying to make a team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/...gents-in-march/

Thanks for posting that. I'd missed it. What will be fun is you know there will be that guy who all of a sudden as "off the chart" measurables and teams will be begging for his services.

Thanks for posting that. I'd missed it. What will be fun is you know there will be that guy who all of a sudden as "off the chart" measurables and teams will be begging for his services.

It just seems like some guys (especially undrafted Free Agents) are becoming more relevant in the league nowadays, so for some guys stuck on practice squads or way down on the depth chart, this seems like a great way to at least show off your measurables. I don't know how I missed this.

Aside from the obvious measureables this gives the players and teams a chance to get together in one spot and meet. This is going to largely be guys that are 3rd tier FAs on the verge of being out of the league, or maybe 2nd tier guys who need to show they are healthy or getting healthy.

Aside from the obvious measureables this gives the players and teams a chance to get together in one spot and meet. This is going to largely be guys that are 3rd tier FAs on the verge of being out of the league, or maybe 2nd tier guys who need to show they are healthy or getting healthy.

Ya, the first guy that's been talked about that has applied was Michael Sam. It could just be a bunch of guys like him who were drafted late and never had a chance. I wonder if we'll even see a lot of veteran players do it.

It'd be nice if a guy like Briggs did it. A guy who played out of shape last year. If he decided to go to it it would give him a reason to get back into the best shape he could to prove he's still capable of playing at a high level.

Ya, the first guy that's been talked about that has applied was Michael Sam. It could just be a bunch of guys like him who were drafted late and never had a chance. I wonder if we'll even see a lot of veteran players do it.

It'd be nice if a guy like Briggs did it. A guy who played out of shape last year. If he decided to go to it it would give him a reason to get back into the best shape he could to prove he's still capable of playing at a high level.

yep, Briggs could benefit from it by showing he is in shape but he will NEVER attend it.

The guys that this will attract are the undrafted or late round draft picks that did not make any rosters. I would say the biggest percentage of guys would be 1 to 4 years out of college. Then a few older vets that may want one more chance.

Im sure there are a lot of guys that are loving this. Guys that dont want to give up on their dream of making it.

I like this because this gives Pace another avenue to upgrade the roster. Maybe Pace can find a diamond in the rough, even a guy that be a quality SP teams player and back up.

I like this because this gives Pace another avenue to upgrade the roster. Maybe Pace can find a diamond in the rough, even a guy that be a quality SP teams player and back up.

Yep. And maybe he can take a page out of Dick Vermeil's book and have an open tryout for all the couch potatoes in the Chicago area who always thought they could "be somebody". :)

By the way, if you haven't seen the movie Invincible, do yourself a favor and watch it. Damn good viewing.

I think I saw/read/heard somewhere that Harvey Unga was going to something like this. And I seem to recall that he was one of the key names attending since he had been on roster(s?) before.

If Harvey Unga is the prime rib, the rest are probably tainted.

Anyone who is worth a decent contract isn't participating in this event.

I wouldn't go that far. How many guys are signed off the street every year? You probably won't find a starter, but you can definitely find some raw talent and hidden gems to fill out your roster this way.

I think I saw/read/heard somewhere that Harvey Unga was going to something like this. And I seem to recall that he was one of the key names attending since he had been on roster(s?) before.

If Harvey Unga is the prime rib, the rest are probably tainted.

I swear he was on the Bears for like 5 years and I never seen him play

• 1 month later...

NFL Veterans Combine Participants

Curious if any of this year's participants in the NFL Veterans Combine will make it to the Bears' roster.

I looked over the list (link provided) and honestly was totally unimpressed with the list.

Heck, I only recognized a few that were listed.

Any of you familiar with anyone on this list and think they would be worth a look?

Ya the list is very, very unexciting. I guess that's kinda the point though, buncha guys who are off peoples radars looking to get back on said radars.

I always thought Joe Anderson could be something, so he's a little intriguing.

Mike Golic Jr. could be a little intriguing if he has put in some work.

I see lots of Bears on there - Zach Minter, Nate Collins, Michael Bush, Harvey Unga, Jordan Miller . . .

Adam Carriker never lived up to expectations of being a first round draft pick and he's 30, but he might be worth a shot as a 3-4 DE if he's healthy.

Jewel Hampton is nothing real special, but showed some promise with the 49ers. He's probably better than Perry, but he's had knee problems in the past.

Osusu-Ansah came out of a small college and was seen as a developmental CB/S. He has good size for both, but has never stuck anywhere. Given the Bears' thin secondary, I'd give him a shot. Has return experience as well and I think someone even tried him at WR.

Brian Rolle is new Bear Antrel Rolle's cousin and started for the Eagles a couple years ago.

NFL Veterans Combine Participants

Curious if any of this year's participants in the NFL Veterans Combine will make it to the Bears' roster.

I looked over the list (link provided) and honestly was totally unimpressed with the list.

Heck, I only recognized a few that were listed.

Any of you familiar with anyone on this list and think they would be worth a look?

I find if intriguing that Felix Jones is on the list who had some promise, although short-lived with Dallas. And now they (Dallas) just signed his former backfield companion from Arkansas Darren McFadden. They both did real well while at Arkansas, not so since.

And an interesting find in Michael Sam being only one year removed from entering the NFL. He hadn't been able to find a home with the Rams (who drafted him in the 7th round last year) or Dallas. Could he potentially be a stand up OLB or better suited as a true DE in a 3-4?

I find if intriguing that Felix Jones is on the list who had some promise, although short-lived with Dallas. And now they (Dallas) just signed his former backfield companion from Arkansas Darren McFadden. They both did real well while at Arkansas, not so since.

And an interesting find in Michael Sam being only one year removed from entering the NFL. He hadn't been able to find a home with the Rams (who drafted him in the 7th round last year) or Dallas. Could he potentially be a stand up OLB or better suited as a true DE in a 3-4?

You can take a flyer on Sam or draft Shane Ray at 7 and avoid the media swarm.

I would be interested in Adam Carriker, DE and Mikel Leshoure, RB. For the league minimum, there is very little risk, and both of these guys have experience.

Carriker tweeted about the combine:

I've never stopped believing. I am unlike anyone you've ever met in your entire life. I will not be stopped. #Driven #CagedTiger #VetCombine

He showed some promise in Washington before a knee injury derailed him.

Carriker is definitely worth a shot on the vet min...Esp. if the reports of him benching 225 40 times is true.

I wouldn't sign him to be the starter of course, but having him as depth with an outside chance to start would nice.

Crazy how much some of these RBs have slowed down since coming out of college....

Felix Jones:

Veterans Combine 40 time: 4.79 s

2008 Combine 40 time: 4.47 s

Mikel Leshoure:

Veterans Combine: 4.75 s

2011 Combine: 4.59 s

Da'Rel Scott

Veterans Combine 40 time: 4.74 s

2011 Combine 40 time: 4.31 s

Carriker is definitely worth a shot on the vet min...Esp. if the reports of him benching 225 40 times is true.

I wouldn't sign him to be the starter of course, but having him as depth with an outside chance to start would nice.

Crazy how much some of these RBs have slowed down since coming out of college....

Felix Jones:

Veterans Combine 40 time: 4.79 s

2008 Combine 40 time: 4.47 s

Mikel Leshoure:

Veterans Combine: 4.75 s

2011 Combine: 4.59 s

Da'Rel Scott

Veterans Combine 40 time: 4.74 s

2011 Combine 40 time: 4.31 s

For the 40 times, less than 0.20/s is not that much and can easily be within the margin of error for that short of a run (bad start, bad day, tight hammy, outdoors vs indoors). So Leshoure's is only .16/s off. Now the others that are 0.25/s and over, yeah, you definitely slow with age.

The thing is, any team can call Briggs in for an individual workout at any time. You give him a plane ticket and he comes to you. It's rumored San Fran is interested in him and I'm sure they'll do just that. If they want him to run the 40, he'll run the 40.

That's probably why there are no real successful football players on this list. Despite being a first round pick, Felix Jones never did much of anything. He was bad when he was 22, why would he be better several years later? Michael Sam is young, but there's a reason why the Rams and Cowboys both cut him. Harvey Unga spent 5 years with the Bears and might have been active for one game.

For the 40 times, less than 0.20/s is not that much and can easily be within the margin of error for that short of a run (bad start, bad day, tight hammy, outdoors vs indoors). So Leshoure's is only .16/s off. Now the others that are 0.25/s and over, yeah, you definitely slow with age.

Michael Bush ran a 4.91...

Michael Bush ran a 4.91...

If anyone signs Michael Bush they are only going to expect (or hope) that he can run 4 yards while dragging a body or two. A guy like Felix Jones who built his game on using speed and now he doesn't have that has no other attribute to help him find work.