Rewatched the Pace intro presser.

scs787

Some here are hanging their hats on the statement Pace made talking about building through the draft. This has lead me to wanting to re watch it and digest it again after the initial excitement of a new GM wore off.

The statement was made about building in the draft for sustained success, and it's certainly understandable to take that quote and run with it, but there's more to it.

When asked about whether this is a rebuilding team or a team capable of a quick turnaround, Pace brought up the 06 Saints. The 05 Saints were 3-13 and Pace talked about how everyone was talking about how the team was in need of a "Massive rebuild" and how the team was "Decimated", but they "Quickly put together a team and got to the NFC Championship game the very next year(06)". Then he started talking about the next 2 years where he said "We continued to build" and then in 2009 they won the Super Bowl.

Then later he was quoted saying "In a perfect world, you're acquiring players in free agency that allow you to go with the best player available in the draft".

That BPA comment has also been misconstrued by some here on the board when talking about the draft. IMO he's saying he'll take BPA if the holes are filled in FA.

Me and Stinger have kinda gone back an forth on these topics and with Free Agency coming up soon I thought a refresher on some of these comments were needed.

The scenarios tossed around about adding 3-4-5 new starters on defense, to me, sound like a more likely scenario with what he said. The building in the draft will come after a foundation is set through FA.

Some here are hanging their hats on the statement Pace made talking about building through the draft. This has lead me to wanting to re watch it and digest it again after the initial excitement of a new GM wore off.

The statement was made about building in the draft for sustained success, and it's certainly understandable to take that quote and run with it, but there's more to it.

When asked about whether this is a rebuilding team or a team capable of a quick turnaround, Pace brought up the 06 Saints. The 05 Saints were 3-13 and Pace talked about how everyone was talking about how the team was in need of a "Massive rebuild" and how the team was "Decimated", but they "Quickly put together a team and got to the NFC Championship game the very next year(06)". Then he started talking about the next 2 years where he said "We continued to build" and then in 2009 they won the Super Bowl.

Then later he was quoted saying "In a perfect world, you're acquiring players in free agency that allow you to go with the best player available in free agency".

That BPA comment has also been misconstrued by some here on the board when talking about the draft. IMO he's saying he'll take BPA if the holes are filled in FA.

Me and Stinger have kinda gone back an forth on these topics and with Free Agency coming up soon I thought a refresher on some of these comments were needed.

The scenarios tossed around about adding 3-4-5 new starters on defense, to me, sound like a more likely scenario with what he said. The building in the draft will come after a foundation is set through FA.

In 2006 the only significant signing that NOs had was Dree Brees. I kinda think anywhere he went would have been a turnaround. He will acquire players thru free agency and the draft, just like every team does every year. My point is he will 5 or 6 players and none will be Suh, McCourtly, or Bryant. I claim he will add mid priced free agents, maybe 1 big contract, but I doubt it. I would love to add several high profile players, it aint my money, but that wont happen.

Here is my prediction: (list yours)

Eddy Royal/WR

Virgil Green/TE

Ingram or Moreno/RB

Franklin/OG

Culliver/CB

Moore/S

De La Puente/OC

there are several md priced free agents-Franklin will be the only elevated contract.

Franklin will let Long move to RT or LT.

In the draft he will be taken BPA and with the #7 pick he will have a choice of Shelton or Ray depending on his evaluation of roster.

He will draft 2 LBs, 2 DL and a safety and WR

Then later he was quoted saying "In a perfect world, you're acquiring players in free agency that allow you to go with the best player available in free agency".

I re-watched it and much later in the press conference he listed a mistake of taking a player just to fill a need and how that negatively impacted the roster for years. He cautioned strongly against not taking BPA. I don't think he's going to diverge much from BPA just to fill a need especially when you consider he is not a win-now mode that would drive that kind of a decision (see SMC and Lovie). If you have very close ratings on players then I'm sure he'd go with the need. When you look at our defense there are needs at every level so BPA there is no brainer IMO. Offense less so but the draft is shaping up to nicely fit BPA and one of our needs.

That's how i took it, but I didn't get in a debate over semantics. Build the team so you can get BPA in the draft and FA eventually.

It is pretty clear that he indirectly said/implied that he would acquire: Eddie Royal, Mark Ingram, and Mike Iupati on offense, and is going to sign Terrance Knighton, Rahim Moore, Chris Culliver, David Harris, and at least one more LB (McPhee) and CB (Jackson) on defense.

Here are the Saints free agent acquisitions since 2006:

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/...leans_sain.html

The biggest takeaway is they signed 13 FA's in 2006 and had 8 draft picks. 21 new players in one offseason. They also had an insane draft in 2006: Bush, Harper, Evans, Ninkovich, Strief, and Colston (last 2 in the 7th).

They then followed that up with 8 FA's and 7 draft picks in 2007. So the potential was there to have 36 new players on the 53 man roster in 2 years.