Rumor: Bears asking BMarshall to Take PayCut

DABEARSDABOMB

Number 1's don't grow on trees. Cutting him is beyond stupid.

Agreed!!

I don't buy that he's a distraction especially in the locker room. What we heard about has to be taken into consideration with what was going on at the time. The morale was in the pits. Allegedly he argued with Robbie Gould? So what! Allegedly he questioned out loud the effectiveness of Jay Cutler? Again, and the problem with that is...? IF he were to question Jay AND demand he get the ball more, then I would be concerned

We want leaders who are outspoken at the right time. To me, Brandon didn't air the dirty laundry for everyone to hear or see. He kept it 'in house'. The only issue I had with him last year was doing that HBO show during the week.

Number 1's don't grow on trees. Cutting him is beyond stupid.

Is he a #1 WR? He had 780 yards last season, turns 31 in March and he bitches in the locker room.

The funny thing is the trend in the NFL. Neither the Patriots or Hawks had good WR's. Rookie WR's looked awesome this past year. Like the RB, all of a sudden, the value of the position has diminished.

If we plan on demanding he take a pay-cut, we obviously have our reasons. We don't need the cap space and the new staff has no reason to hold a grudge against him.

Is he a #1 WR? He had 780 yards last season, turns 31 in March and he bitches in the locker room.

The funny thing is the trend in the NFL. Neither the Patriots or Hawks had good WR's. Rookie WR's looked awesome this past year. Like the RB, all of a sudden, the value of the position has diminished.

If we plan on demanding he take a pay-cut, we obviously have our reasons. We don't need the cap space and the new staff has no reason to hold a grudge against him.

If this is true and they are asking him to take a pay cut despite the Bears having a good cap number MAYBE it is a sign that they are looking at some very high priced options in FA? Just a thought.

If that be the case a lot of players would buy into it especially older players who would like to go to the SB before they retire.

I've said before the environment was not helpful. When the locker room is in anarchy cause the man in charge is spinless and clueless, that's not the ideal situation for someone like him, it's like taking a former alcoholic to a binge party. Not that it makes his behavior right. But the players walked all over Dr.Death like a throw rug.

If we're going to get rid of him get something for him, I don't expect he'll bring a lot given his age, his recent injury history, and his history of issues along with this past year or so.

We really don't know what goes on behind the scenes so I can't really touch on the extent of his distractions. I know he asked Harbaugh if he played for him would he be cool with him on HBO, so who knows maybe there is a problem there for whatever reason.

Or who knows, maybe they just wanna cleap some cap because they have big plans for FA. .... Or it could all be be...

I wouldn't hate to see it happen quite honestly. Free up money to spend on the D then add a WR in the draft.

First off, Jason Cole is a Bleacher Report writer, basically a blog site. He can come up with anything he dreams of for hits. Until Brad Biggs tweets or writes about this, I don't buy it. Brandon is a motor mouth and I am sure many people dislike that, but when no one was taking the reins, he decided to. For those that think his stats sucked, well he played 3-4 games as basically a decoy because he was hurt. Played through when he should have recovered from a high ankle sprain.

I don't think you can really use NE and SEA as the norm. NE has Brady and Belichick and have been going against the norm for a long time. Seattle's offense leaves a lot to be desired and the WR corps is what cost them a SB. Of the other playoff teams you had Hilton, Nelson, Cobb, Bryant, Thomas, Sanders, Green, Megatron, Tate, Brown, and Smith all were in the top 20 in the NFL. If anything WRs are more valuable now than ever before. That is why you will see 2-3 WRs drafted before the first RB or TE. Marshall is still a #1 for another year or two.

Brandon may not produce in the traditional #1 receiver role. But most everything else he does is #1, if they even exist anymore. The fact that he leads by example on the field, talks to the team AS A LEADER and encourages younger receivers to train with him in the offseason, defines him as a #1 in my book.

In all reality if it were stats alone, Jeffery would be the #1 receiver and probably would have won the year before. But so far he doesn't exhibit those other traits, doesn't need to. Still learning from his mentor.

And as far as BM running his mouth, I wonder how Steve Smith did for Baltimore despite all the jaw-jacking he does/did? Was he their "#1 receiver"?

Brandon may not produce in the traditional #1 receiver role. But most everything else he does is #1, if they even exist anymore. The fact that he leads by example on the field, talks to the team AS A LEADER and encourages younger receivers to train with him in the offseason, defines him as a #1 in my book.

In all reality if it were stats alone, Jeffery would be the #1 receiver and probably would have won the year before. But so far he doesn't exhibit those other traits, doesn't need to. Still learning from his mentor.

And as far as BM running his mouth, I wonder how Steve Smith did for Baltimore despite all the jaw-jacking he does/did? Was he their "#1 receiver"?

All we see is what he produces on the field and that has been quite good since he has been here, but we can only read about what goes on in the locker room. Everything I hear is he creates chaos and a lot of the players dont want him around. Last year was a disaster in many ways and his act wore thin. New leadership will help control that but the brass are weighing in on a 31 year old WR about to make 9.5 mil and is he worth the distractions he may create when you trying to establish a new culture in the locker room.

All we see is what he produces on the field and that has been quite good since he has been here, but we can only read about what goes on in the locker room. Everything I hear is he creates chaos and a lot of the players dont want him around. Last year was a disaster in many ways and his act wore thin. New leadership will help control that but the brass are weighing in on a 31 year old WR about to make 9.5 mil and is he worth the distractions he may create when you trying to establish a new culture in the locker room.

I've only heard about one player that didn't like him, Robbie Gould. I am sure others do not also, like Briggs who walked out on the rant. If they decide to part ways with him, I would be highly disappointed if they don't get anything back in return. Marshall is the type who would go to GB, Sea, or NE and put up career high numbers and retire with a ring or two. In those cultures, he would be the guy they ask him to be because they have a winning attitude. That's what he wants and the losing hurt him and it was seen with his blow ups or post game interviews. One loss, sure it can happen, but collapses with the talent they have is not acceptable.

I've only heard about one player that didn't like him, Robbie Gould. I am sure others do not also, like Briggs who walked out on the rant. If they decide to part ways with him, I would be highly disappointed if they don't get anything back in return. Marshall is the type who would go to GB, Sea, or NE and put up career high numbers and retire with a ring or two. In those cultures, he would be the guy they ask him to be because they have a winning attitude. That's what he wants and the losing hurt him and it was seen with his blow ups or post game interviews. One loss, sure it can happen, but collapses with the talent they have is not acceptable.

I'm with you on this one. Nobody was complaining about Brandon after the 49ers game. Team goes on a 5 game losing streak, gives up 50pts in back to back games, and suddenly Brandon is a leading cause for the decline. Sure Briggs wasn't happy with Brandon but Briggs is the same guy who walked out his team's first practice of the season. I'd say Brandon was pissing off the right people (Briggs and Gould) because nobody else was doling out the discipline. Did it go too far? Maybe but I agree that with the right leadership at the top and in the locker room (bye Briggs) Marshall reigns it in.

I'm not buying this story of a paycut nor do I think we'll just grab a WR and replace his production in year 1 or 2. That's if we draft one at #7. Take one later and the odds go way down.

Let's step back for a moment. How does a team get a player to take a pay cut? Player has to be on edge of getting cut and worried that he might not get as much on the open market. Marshall just got his guaranteed $14.5 million.

To the new GM that's water under the bridge that he won't be held accountable for. He only cares about money going forward. Marshall will earn $7.5 million this season. That puts him around 15th in the league for 2015 salary. I think his production is easily worth that.

To Marshall it's more about guaranteed money plus his 1st year salary. If the Bears want him to take a pay cut he's immediately thinking if he can get a new deal with $7.5mil guaranteed. If he can do that or better, and I think he can easily exceed that, then he is not taking a pay cut. Among last years' FA WR who would you rather have: Eric Decker (5yr $36mil w/ $15mil guaranteed) or Brandon Marshall? In 2015 Marshall would compete against (forget Dez and D. Thomas who will be franchised if they don't sign) Randall Cobb, Jeremy Maclin, Torrey Smith, and Michael Crabtree.

Teams with a Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, or Peyton Manning don't need WRs with a huge catch radius. Everyone else does. Marshall has no reason to take a pay cut so if the new GM doesn't want him around for $7.5mil he will cut him. If we were in FA and close to signing an elite player and needed a little bit of cap room I could see this conversation taking place. Then they would play on Marshall's desire to win. But in Feb before the combine and before any other significant player decisions have taken place?

I'm with you on this one. Nobody was complaining about Brandon after the 49ers game. Team goes on a 5 game losing streak, gives up 50pts in back to back games, and suddenly Brandon is a leading cause for the decline. Sure Briggs wasn't happy with Brandon but Briggs is the same guy who walked out his team's first practice of the season. I'd say Brandon was pissing off the right people (Briggs and Gould) because nobody else was doling out the discipline. Did it go too far? Maybe but I agree that with the right leadership at the top and in the locker room (bye Briggs) Marshall reigns it in.

I'm not buying this story of a paycut nor do I think we'll just grab a WR and replace his production in year 1 or 2. That's if we draft one at #7. Take one later and the odds go way down.

Let's step back for a moment. How does a team get a player to take a pay cut? Player has to be on edge of getting cut and worried that he might not get as much on the open market. Marshall just got his guaranteed $14.5 million.

To the new GM that's water under the bridge that he won't be held accountable for. He only cares about money going forward. Marshall will earn $7.5 million this season. That puts him around 15th in the league for 2015 salary. I think his production is easily worth that.

To Marshall it's more about guaranteed money plus his 1st year salary. If the Bears want him to take a pay cut he's immediately thinking if he can get a new deal with $7.5mil guaranteed. If he can do that or better, and I think he can easily exceed that, then he is not taking a pay cut. Among last years' FA WR who would you rather have: Eric Decker (5yr $36mil w/ $15mil guaranteed) or Brandon Marshall? In 2015 Marshall would compete against (forget Dez and D. Thomas who will be franchised if they don't sign) Randall Cobb, Jeremy Maclin, Torrey Smith, and Michael Crabtree.

Teams with a Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, or Peyton Manning don't need WRs with a huge catch radius. Everyone else does. Marshall has no reason to take a pay cut so if the new GM doesn't want him around for $7.5mil he will cut him. If we were in FA and close to signing an elite player and needed a little bit of cap room I could see this conversation taking place. Then they would play on Marshall's desire to win. But in Feb before the combine and before any other significant player decisions have taken place?

Your probably right about everything you stated, but the key is what Pace and Fox think as far as his positives and weight it against his negatives.They decision will go along way to telling us how much of a distraction he was as to what we think it is. If it is like a Harvin deal that drags the whole team down, then , he should go, it they can manage him, then he gets to stay.

Your probably right about everything you stated, but the key is what Pace and Fox think as far as his positives and weight it against his negatives.They decision will go along way to telling us how much of a distraction he was as to what we think it is. If it is like a Harvin deal that drags the whole team down, then , he should go, it they can manage him, then he gets to stay.

I think Fox and Pace have to experience him to get a taste of him themselves. The McKaskeys probably would be glad to get rid of him, but this is Paces call. If i was a gm, i would want a top tier WR. If you notice a lot of the players they choose are guys that exhibit class. Sometimes that class is the form of keeping your lips zipped. From coaching choices to draft picks, the Bears target a certain personality. Even past players and coaches that don't or didn't meet the McKaskey's preference in personality are not associated with them. To me that is one I've noticed that have held back the Bears.

If this is true and they are asking him to take a pay cut despite the Bears having a good cap number MAYBE it is a sign that they are looking at some very high priced options in FA? Just a thought.

If that be the case a lot of players would buy into it especially older players who would like to go to the SB before they retire.

Interesting thought. We would have almost 34 million in cap space. The problem is, who plays WR? After AJ, can Marques Wilson even play? He's done nothing. We have nobody else.

We need to add 2-3 WR's as it is.

First off, Jason Cole is a Bleacher Report writer, basically a blog site. He can come up with anything he dreams of for hits. Until Brad Biggs tweets or writes about this, I don't buy it. Brandon is a motor mouth and I am sure many people dislike that, but when no one was taking the reins, he decided to. For those that think his stats sucked, well he played 3-4 games as basically a decoy because he was hurt. Played through when he should have recovered from a high ankle sprain.

The SCORE reported that after Brandon Marshall met with Pace and Fox, he doesn't know if he's going to be on the team next year. Why does he say that? It is possible Jason Cole made it up, but Marshall's uncertainty indicates that there could be something to it.

Interesting thought. We would have almost 34 million in cap space. The problem is, who plays WR? After AJ, can Marques Wilson even play? He's done nothing. We have nobody else.

We need to add 2-3 WR's as it is.

Meh, Wilson missed a lot of time and Trestmans offenses have typically not gotten the #3s involved. Wilson had 140 yards in 7 games. Earl Bennett had 243 yards the year before in 15 games.

Wilson still has plenty of upside IMO, and with Gase, who had 3 Pro Bowl caliber WRs in Denver, he could see an enhanced role here next year. I'd give him a year to prove himself.

Grabbing a guy like Eddie Royal and possibly a mid round draft pick like Tyler Lockett could make the WR group look good at the fraction of the cost. (AJ-Royal-Wilson-Lockett-Bellamy)

The SCORE reported that after Brandon Marshall met with Pace and Fox, he doesn't know if he's going to be on the team next year. Why does he say that? It is possible Jason Cole made it up, but Marshall's uncertainty indicates that there could be something to it.

I think its all speculation, but by Marshall comments they didnt tell him he was the greatest thing since slice bread was invented so he takes that as uncertainty, precisely why he is a problem, cant keep his mouth shut. It will get him a new address if he doesnt learn.

I think its all speculation, but by Marshall comments they didnt tell him he was the greatest thing since slice bread was invented so he takes that as uncertainty, precisely why he is a problem, cant keep his mouth shut. It will get him a new address if he doesnt learn.

I think that's reading an awful lot into a very simple statement from Marshall. Jay Cutler doesn't know if he'll be back either. Neither does Forte, Allen, or any player for that matter being listed as a part of the future plans. I don't how Marshall saying he doesn't know if he'll be back is a huge distraction to the team in Feb. All I've seen is that they are evaluating the roster. I don't want them to commit to anyone as a long term key for this team right now…not even Forte and his $8mil cap hit.

I think that's reading an awful lot into a very simple statement from Marshall. Jay Cutler doesn't know if he'll be back either. Neither does Forte, Allen, or any player for that matter being listed as a part of the future plans. I don't how Marshall saying he doesn't know if he'll be back is a huge distraction to the team in Feb. All I've seen is that they are evaluating the roster. I don't want them to commit to anyone as a long term key for this team right now…not even Forte and his $8mil cap hit.

As far as Marshall goes, I leave it up to the Bears brass to decide the valve and the determent Marshall would have on a team. I read an article in the tribune by Steve Rosenbloom. I dont always agree with his opinions but he adds humor to a sometimes bland reporting on the Bears.

He had this line in his article on we should spend the money on Randall Cobb and dump Marshall.

"The Bears don’t have Rodgers, just to clarify. In fact, they have the anti-Rodgers, but at least with a guy like Cobb, Cutler’s killer interceptions would be deeper."

just found this humorous