Josh McCown seen dining with Fox

GakMan23

As is Pace, something is going on, we may have our backup again OR maybe a deal for Cutler is coming soon that will push us up far enough to get one of the 2 QB's in this draft? Not sure how I feel about that, don't know much about the QB class this year other then it is kinda weak.

ESPNChiBears Jeff Dickerson

#Bears GM Ryan Pace also meeting with free agent QB Josh McCown, along with John Fox.

McCown could be in town to visit with multiple teams, but the connection with Fox makes this interesting. Would he be brought in as a backup, or is this to ultimately replace Cutler?

God please no, Lovie and McCown looked worse than bad. I know bad, I seen the 2014 Chicago Bears.

I am sure he would be a back up, that is what he is. A good career back up.

God please no, Lovie and McCown looked worse than bad. I know bad, I seen the 2014 Chicago Bears.

I am sure he would be a back up, that is what he is. A good career back up.

While I agree with you, my thought is McCown is CHEAP and if they cut Jay they'll want to "pay" for his cap hit with a cheap QB they think they can plug in for a season. So.... We could be seeing Josh back in town as our starter. And/or if they sign him it could be to use him as leverage to get Jay to restructure his contract such that the hit in 2016 is diminished.

Either way, this is an interesting development.

It seems like these are the scenarios:

1. Just visiting Indy to meet with various teams and linked up with Fox due to history in Carolina, but nothing related to signing with Bears

2. Visit was with the intent on signing with Bears as backup to Cutler

3. Visit was with the intent on signing with Bears as the starter, with Cutler being traded

4. Visit was with the intent on signing with Bears as starter/backup, with Cutler traded, and Bears drafting QB in first two rounds

McCown could be in town to visit with multiple teams, but the connection with Fox makes this interesting.

Would he be brought in as a backup, or is this to ultimately replace Cutler?

Good god, McCown can't start. I don't mind if we brought him in and he worked with a young QB, but the idea of bringing him in as a starter is an awful idea. Having him on the depth chart is good though.

McCown does have a good rapport with the roster, and familiar with the city. It make sense for him to come to Chicago on both the team's and his own sides.

Just to be fair and in judging him in recent history you have to consider what he's had around him. Last year was a bit of a challenge for him being that the original OC went down for the count and was essentially lost for the season. As a backup they promoted the QB (?) coach to run the offense. Coincidently that person has since moved on. (is it the "Lovie curse" on offense? - possibly). The year before last, under a pretty effective OC (who played the part of HC) he did well. When he was previously with Carolina (2008-09) he was in a true backup role and towards thr later tenure in Fox' reign in Carolina.

I have to believe that as much as a fan of McCowns I am I still think he's worthy of a roster spot. Not necessarily as a starter mind you but more as a mentor. Could it be that Jay maintain the role as starter and McCown compete for the job (considering they again have a competent OC in Gase?)? Or will be relegate to a true backup role and considering Cutler cannot or will not, mentor whomever the next QB of the teams future may be?

So no one finds it odd/interesting that our GM and HC eat breakfast with a free agent QB (and say nice things about him during presser) then are completely non-committal about Cutler who is under contract?

I just smell a trade coming.

Meh not really. He had a meeting with the Jets after the Bears.

I'd be cool with a trade I guess though. At the very least they could be really aggressive in rebuilding the D. I highly doubt they win anything with Josh as the QB but I auppose they could hit on a QB this year or next.

Just to be fair and in judging him in recent history you have to consider what he's had around him. Last year was a bit of a challenge for him being that the original OC went down for the count and was essentially lost for the season. As a backup they promoted the QB (?) coach to run the offense. Coincidently that person has since moved on. (is it the "Lovie curse" on offense? - possibly). The year before last, under a pretty effective OC (who played the part of HC) he did well. When he was previously with Carolina (2008-09) he was in a true backup role and towards thr later tenure in Fox' reign in Carolina.

I have to believe that as much as a fan of McCowns I am I still think he's worthy of a roster spot. Not necessarily as a starter mind you but more as a mentor. Could it be that Jay maintain the role as starter and McCown compete for the job (considering they again have a competent OC in Gase?)? Or will be relegate to a true backup role and considering Cutler cannot or will not, mentor whomever the next QB of the teams future may be?

I think he is a good team player and likable so why not have him as a backup. He is not a starter, look at what he did as a starter(awful). But a few games, probably better than Clausen