If Jared doesn't like the 3-4, is he off to Subway?

madlithuanian

If he doeth protest too much…he's gone. I think Allen knows that and also knows that after last year any other paycheck he could get would be much lower that what Chicago will pay him this season. He's no dummy and he'll shut up and toe the line.

I also think Fox knows enough to curtail his snaps and keep him fresher for 3rd and long situations. One thing about Allen is he hustles on every play so even if he does occasionally drop into space he's headed for the ball once it's released. Plus I think he is a much better locker room presence than Lance Briggs.

Can they scheme things to involve Allen, yes but it will tip their hand as to what side they will be rushing from. Jared can still get after the QB but I don't see him dropping back into coverage. Peppers has dropped back into coverage for GB this year but not a lot.

Allen may say he doesn't want to be a OLB and that he would like to be traded or released. We will see.

Can they scheme things to involve Allen, yes but it will tip their hand as to what side they will be rushing from. Jared can still get after the QB but I don't see him dropping back into coverage. Peppers has dropped back into coverage for GB this year but not a lot.

Allen may say he doesn't want to be a OLB and that he would like to be traded or released. We will see.

This was Allens requests last year when he was a FA I believe. I haven't seen anything yet that said he recently stated this. If he cares about money, he will keep his thoughts to himself. The Bears cannot take his dead money (11mil) and eat it. He will have to be a team player this season. I don't see a team trying to trade for that contract also.

This was Allens requests last year when he was a FA I believe. I haven't seen anything yet that said he recently stated this. If he cares about money, he will keep his thoughts to himself. The Bears cannot take his dead money (11mil) and eat it. He will have to be a team player this season. I don't see a team trying to trade for that contract also.

My money is that he stays with the team. Some of what I hear in discussions about the 'new-look D' will involve hybrid 3-4 formations. Which tells me you base your Defense on that scheme but use the players you have (and eventually add) to the best of their skill. In Jared's particular situation I could see them having him try to be a stand-up 3-4 OLB with the occasional hand in the dirt 3 pt stance. I'd be willing to bet after he tries the new way more he would find he likes it better. Some have commented that Peppers discovered new life in GB last year with that transition.

Besides that I have no question that Jared is a team player. And they'll need some veteran leadership on this side of the ball and he'd be one that I'd be looking towards.

Do we get ANY cap savings from his release? I haven't heard. No team will trade for him with his current salary.

Considering the one thing Fox mentioned about defense was the importance of being able to get to the quarterback, why would we dump Allen? We misused him this past year as more of a run-stopper. Wouldn't it benefit us a ton more to find a way to make him work than to let him go?

Do we get ANY cap savings from his release? I haven't heard. No team will trade for him with his current salary.

Considering the one thing Fox mentioned about defense was the importance of being able to get to the quarterback, why would we dump Allen? We misused him this past year as more of a run-stopper. Wouldn't it benefit us a ton more to find a way to make him work than to let him go?

Yes and yes.

who cares what he wants he's freaking terrible

I wouldnt go that far. Have to remember he was stricken with pneumonia early on and obviously suffered because of it. And like the rest of the D suffered under the ineptitude of Tucker. Even as an older player he's got a motor and he's got leadership potential. With all the possible changes on D, losses of Briggs and Peanut and additions of more youth and FAs that will be a big factor. At least he's not promoting his restaurant or blowing out his ACL while celebrating.