Shelton at Combine

Guest TerraTor

Surprised to see his arms were pretty short at 32 inches (3rd shortest among DTs). San Fran had a philosophy of taking D-linemen with long arms. I wonder if that was something Fangio wanted or if it was just the GM.

I still love him, but am a little less "turned on" by him. A dream first 2 picks at this moment for me would be Beasley and Carl Davis. Davis fits that mold of what Fangio had with them long arms (Tied for 3rd longest) and he also dominated the Senior Bowl.

Guest TerraTor
Surprised to see his arms were pretty short at 32 inches (3rd shortest among DTs). San Fran had a philosophy of taking D-linemen with long arms. I wonder if that was something Fangio wanted or if it was just the GM.

I still love him, but am a little less "turned on" by him. A dream first 2 picks at this moment for me would be Beasley and Carl Davis. Davis fits that mold of what Fangio had with them long arms (Tied for 3rd longest) and he also dominated the Senior Bowl.

Beasley did 35 reps at 246... that's insane... and even more so reiterates Shae being a weak bitch... ha!

Guest TerraTor
5.66 is not what I was expecting at all. For reference, he gets compared to Wilfork and Ngata and those guys ran 5.03 and 4.99 respectively. Still though you can't just ignore the production he had. He'll be a good player, but I'm now kinda backing off him at 7.

Agreed. . That's, just awful

Gimme Beasley, hes a freak.. lets not miss out of the athletic LBs line we have over the past 3 years

That was a disappointing 40, I wasn't expecting sub 5.00, but 5.66 is really slow (2nd slowest so far this year). I am leaning towards Beasley right now at 7 (if he is there).

Playing devils advocate, but DTs are not about 40 yrd dashes. Look at the short burst stuff.

As for Beasley, sure he shined and I would be happy with him. I am still pushing Bud Dupree as one of my guys.

Vic Beasley 6-3 246 4.53 40. 1.59 10 yd split

Bud Dupree 6-4 269 4.57 40 1.60 10 yd split

they kinda jumped in the opposite groups to perform in. Beasley was with the DL anf Dupree with the LB. It was a move to help them both standout.

Playing devils advocate, but DTs are not about 40 yrd dashes. Look at the short burst stuff.

As for Beasley, sure he shined and I would be happy with him. I am still pushing Bud Dupree as one of my guys.

Vic Beasley 6-3 246 4.53 40. 1.59 10 yd split

Bud Dupree 6-4 269 4.57 40 1.60 10 yd split

they kinda jumped in the opposite groups to perform in. Beasley was with the DL anf Dupree with the LB. It was a move to help them both standout.

He was unimpressive in the short burst stuff as well sadly. 10 yard split was 2nd worst as well, and his cone drill was 4th worst.

It was a tough showing for him, but IMO he's a gamer who knows how to play football. You don't rack up 93 tackles, 15.5 TFL, and 9 sacks if you aren't really good at football.

That said I am turned off by him at 7 but wouldn't absolutely hate it if they still took him there.

This edge rusher group is somethin special though. Beasley, Fowler, Ray, Dupree, Gregory, Harold, Owa Odighizuwa looks like he could play some 3-4, loved the guy out of Harvard, Zach Hodges, intensity, and Danielle Hunter had a real nice showing.

So much athleticism in that group, and so deep.

He was unimpressive in the short burst stuff as well sadly. 10 yard split was 2nd worst as well, and his cone drill was 4th worst.

It was a tough showing for him, but IMO he's a gamer who knows how to play football. You don't rack up 93 tackles, 15.5 TFL, and 9 sacks if you aren't really good at football.

That said I am turned off by him at 7 but wouldn't absolutely hate it if they still took him there.

This edge rusher group is somethin special though. Beasley, Fowler, Ray, Dupree, Gregory, Harold, Owa Odighizuwa looks like he could play some 3-4, loved the guy out of Harvard, Zach Hodges, intensity, and Danielle Hunter had a real nice showing.

So much athleticism in that group, and so deep.

His combine didn't help him for sure, did it hurt him is the question. We know he produced in college and his main purpose is to anchor and not be moved. I was sold on him after the senior bowl, but using a top 10 on a NT is a tough pill. Getting a playmaker like Fowler, Gregory, Dupree, Ray, or Beasley would be wiser while finding a NT in rounds 2 or 3 like Carl Davis, Jordan Phillips, or Ellis McCarthy can be a possibility. Since S is a need and talent seems bleek, finding a raw talent in Rd 3 or 4 like Eskridge or Jaquiski Tartt might be a good investment to let Donatell develop.

With how well Beasley, Fowler, and Dupree performed, it would be hard to pass on one of them for Shelton. They all had great seasons and the OLB/DE's backed it up with great combines. Shelton definitely dropped out of the top 10. I know the combine isn't everything and some players are just better football players than metric testers, but the combine has to be at least taken into consideration when evaluating players.

With how well Beasley, Fowler, and Dupree performed, it would be hard to pass on one of them for Shelton. They all had great seasons and the OLB/DE's backed it up with great combines. Shelton definitely dropped out of the top 10. I know the combine isn't everything and some players are just better football players than metric testers, but the combine has to be at least taken into consideration when evaluating players.

The combine is there for a reason and measurables do count but are just there to backup the tape. Or in other cases, make people wonder why a gifted athlete wasn't more productive. Shelton isn't going to be Haloti Ngata in the NFL unless he shows later that he has more short area quickness. If you aren't that quick then you better have some long arms to help you get off blocks. I still see Shelton being a good player, he's still strong enough to hold his ground even against a double team. I just don't see him as a perennial Pro Bowl player. When you draft someone at #7 that's what you must come away with and we don't have anyone on our roster that should prevent us from doing that.

There are so many good rush OLB and we need one badly. Beasley impressed me the most today. He's a more fluid athlete than Fowler but adding the weight, the strength, and running a 4.53 was pretty good.

Absolutely do not want Shelton. He couldn't even strip the ball from the ball boy.

He's still gonna be a damn good player IMO, and if for whatever reason the Bears decide to grab an OLB in FA I'd still love to have him. You dont record 98 tackles from the DT position if you aren't really good at stopping the run.

Absolutely do not want Shelton. He couldn't even strip the ball from the ball boy.

Yeah me too. Still have a hard time spending 1st round on an 'other than skill player' position. Whether it be OL or DL. When you have players like Beasly, Waynes, or even (my favorite) S. Thompson maybe in the Safety position you can't pass on that for a lineman. Heck even a relative unknown in L. Williams measured up pretty well and might be had in later rounds.

Yeah me too. Still have a hard time spending 1st round on an 'other than skill player' position. Whether it be OL or DL. When you have players like Beasly, Waynes, or even (my favorite) S. Thompson maybe in the Safety position you can't pass on that for a lineman. Heck even a relative unknown in L. Williams measured up pretty well and might be had in later rounds.

Perhaps he's relatively unknown on here because everyone knows we aren't getting him, but Leonard Williams is gonna be the top defender taken, perhaps even at #2.

I subscribe to the whole it starts up front line of thinking, and would have no problem taking a defensive linemen in the first.

At this point though with all the talent at OLB, those guys are gonna be really hard to pass up.

Perhaps he's relatively unknown on here because everyone knows we aren't getting him, but Leonard Williams is gonna be the top defender taken, perhaps even at #2.

I subscribe to the whole it starts up front line of thinking, and would have no problem taking a defensive linemen in the first.

At this point though with all the talent at OLB, those guys are gonna be really hard to pass up.

Like you said, Williams will never slide past 4, he is the best DP on the board.

Fun stat.

Bj Rajis had 99 tackles and 9 sacks in 4 years in college. Danny Shelton had 98 tackles and 9 sacks in 2014.

And Will Sutton managed 95 solo (160 total) tackles with 20 1/2 sacks. So how many young DLmen does one team need?

And just for reference; Ego Ferguson had 85 total tackles with 5 sacks in his college career. Steven Paea? 56 solo with 14 sacks. And what's more, we already sorta know how these guys will perform. And that was after Mel Tucker was their DC.

Take a quick peek of what teams those sacks were against. I know a sacks a sack but ya know....

Well considering that Sutton played for ASU it would be similar to Shelton being that its PAC12. (so too did Paea - Oregon State - for that matter).

And Ferguson played SEC (at LSU) so there is that....

Unless you meant Raji who played at Boston College (ACC).

And Will Sutton managed 95 solo (160 total) tackles with 20 1/2 sacks. So how many young DLmen does one team need?

And just for reference; Ego Ferguson had 85 total tackles with 5 sacks in his college career. Steven Paea? 56 solo with 14 sacks. And what's more, we already sorta know how these guys will perform. And that was after Mel Tucker was their DC.

Think you may have missed the point here......Shelton had 98 tackles in one season. Those numbers you posted, along with Rajis numbers were amassed over 4 seasons.

Sutton may or may not be a fit, Ratliff only has a year left on his contract, Paea probably gets paid for a career year and I'm not sure it should be by us, Houston is bit of a mystery as he was fairly decent in Oakland but totally blew last year so he could end up being a cut candidate. Ego should be a long term contributor, but after that there's no one you can really say that guy will no doubt be on the line come 2016.

With Shelton not looking good at the Combine, why not explore going after Terrence Knighton in FA and Justin Houston. Then we can truly draft the BPA and if that is a OL or CB or whatever then they are starting to add depth. A NT rotation of Knighton, Ratliff and Ferguson sounds nice since we are going to 3/4 which I hate. Then figuring the OLBs and 5 tech DEs Allen, Houston, Washington,Bass, Houston, Young ,McClellin,Bostic,Lattimore,and Sutton.