The anti-Lovie draft

jason

What if the coaches said, as others here have, that there is a decent amount of young talent on the team? That they just need good coaching? Suppose they think Paea will be stout enough for the NT spot, and the combo of Young, Sutton, Ferguson, Allen, etc. is enough for the DL? Suppose they think SMC is great at his natural position, and Bostic/Greene are perfect for the other two holes in the 3-4, with Briggs filling the last spot? They realize the need at FS, but like the scondary otherwise...and dislike small school safeties.

I present you with the anti-Lovie draft, where they eschew the weakness and supplement the strength.

1. Trade back and get Landon Collins, FS, Alabama

2. Dorial Beckham-Green, WR, OK

2. Hroniss Grassu, OC, Oregon

3. Jake Fisher, OT, Oregon (yeah, I did it)

4-7: BPA

Would you be happy/pissed?

I'd be happy. But really from the standpoint from whatever direction they decided to go, I trust they've thought it out. This is a big boy coaching staff and the GM appears to be worth the hire at the moment. So, in them I trust.

If your scenario is what they feel, then I'm good with it. And as far as what your mock has, given the scenario you mention, I think it's quite good and what is needed.

What if the coaches said, as others here have, that there is a decent amount of young talent on the team? That they just need good coaching? Suppose they think Paea will be stout enough for the NT spot, and the combo of Young, Sutton, Ferguson, Allen, etc. is enough for the DL? Suppose they think SMC is great at his natural position, and Bostic/Greene are perfect for the other two holes in the 3-4, with Briggs filling the last spot? They realize the need at FS, but like the scondary otherwise...and dislike small school safeties.

I present you with the anti-Lovie draft, where they eschew the weakness and supplement the strength.

I'm not a Collins fan, so I hate it. Give me BPA all day long.

So long as they couple it with adding a FS (I view Collins as a SS), a CB, another piece for the DL, and potentially an ILB if they view Jones as an OLB I'd be happy with it.

The OLB position would be an audition for Young, Allen, Jones, SMC, Washington, and Bass. I think it's possible they could find 2 starters out of that group.

They'd have Bostic and possibly Jones or FA at ILB

DL would be Houston-Ratliff-FA/Ego/Sutton.

CB would be Fuller-FA-Jennings.

Safety would be FA-Collins.

That has some potential IMO. If they can get the offense back to a top 5 O that D should be strong enough to win some games.

RE: DGB- From what Pace and Fox have talked about concerning character I'm not so sure they'd take DGB. I'd say swapping him out with Sammie Coates or Phillip Dorsett would be more likely were they to go WR in the 2nd. I'd love either of those 2 guys. Coates is a little bit raw, and shorter than DGB but is even more of a freak athlete. Dorsett is super short, but offers that same elite deep threat Coates does while also being the more refined WR.

What if the coaches said, as others here have, that there is a decent amount of young talent on the team? That they just need good coaching?

Regardless of whether they think this or not, they'll probably have to go with that theory until they get into it a bit. If those players aren't capable there are far too many holes to fill in one off season. And like Mad says, these coaches are big boys so if they decided to go this route, at least for now, I'd have to trust them.

Regardless of whether they think this or not, they'll probably have to go with that theory until they get into it a bit. If those players aren't capable there are far too many holes to fill in one off season. And like Mad says, these coaches are big boys so if they decided to go this route, at least for now, I'd have to trust them.

Luckily, with a new head coach, they'll have 24 days vs just 10 days to practice before the draft so they should get a good idea of what they have.

Would absolutely love to hear that Washington has developed and has a chance at wining an OLB job. For as much love Beasley is getting for his combine numbers, CW put up numbers right there with him.

40 time- Beasley 4.53 CW 4.53

10 Yard- Beasley 1.59 CW 1.60

Bench- Beasley 35 CW 36

Vert- Beasley 41 CW 39

Broad- Beasley 10-10 CW 10-8

CW was also bigger and has longer arms. If he takes to the coaching he could end up being a monster.

Luckily, with a new head coach, they'll have 24 days vs just 10 days to practice before the draft so they should get a good idea of what they have.

Would absolutely love to hear that Washington has developed and has a chance at wining an OLB job. For as much love Beasley is getting for his combine numbers, CW put up numbers right there with him.

Bench- Beasley 35 CW 36

Vert- Beasley 41 CW 39

CW was also bigger and has longer arms. If he takes to the coaching he could end up being a monster.

I was thinking the same thing in this proposed scenario…more than SMC turning it around I think it will be Washington who gets the nod at OLB. He showed strides last year in the pass rush but he's a natural athlete and it shows on special teams. He might be a better fit at OLB than he was at DE for us.

Jason nice 3 round mock but you need to verify where you're trading back to to make the Collins pick not iffy. In my dream draft scenario we trade back with Cleveland and get their 2 1st rounders and go Collins and best CB available. Your scenario creates an emphasis on them resigning Paea and utilizing the young talent and guaranteed money already on the books.

Bench- Beasley 35 CW 36

Vert- Beasley 41 CW 39

Washington recorded 76 tackles, 17 tackles-for-loss and 10.5 sacks, while starting 25 of the 51 games he appeared in.

(that was in a 4 year career).

Beasley had 34 tackles his last year,12 sacks--------------(not as impressive as I thought it would be)

great athletes doesnt always translate on the field and these two physical specimens doesnt have stats to back them up.

Washington recorded 76 tackles, 17 tackles-for-loss and 10.5 sacks, while starting 25 of the 51 games he appeared in.

Beasley had 34 tackles his last year,12 sacks--------------(not as impressive as I thought it would be)

great athletes doesnt always translate on the field and these two physical specimens doesnt have stats to back them up.

I give you Alonzo Spellman as your evidence counselor to back up your argument.

It's all about getting the right coaching and having the light turn on so to speak.

Beasley was third in the nation in tackles for loss per game and eighth in sacks per game in 2014, and third in the nation in tackles for loss, tied for third in sacks and tied for 10th in caused fumbles in 2013.

The only numbers not there are the tackles numbers. Beasley played DE in college, and while 34 is still low, it's not horrendous for a defensive lineman.

Washington continues to be under construction and a work in progress. Now he has to learn a new scheme and terminology. We have seen these combo/hybrid guys fro UGA crash and burn before. IIRC Jelani Jones is a recent example.

The problem is finding the right spot for these hybrid guys. You can throw SMC in with that discussion.

The problem is finding the right spot for these hybrid guys. You can throw SMC in with that discussion.

Exactly which is the very reason why I don't like the 3/4 because of the uncertainty of a player flourishing in it. Everyone continues to chase LT when that was a once in a lifetime player who made that scheme work similar to how Michael Jordon made Phil Jackson's Triangle Offense work. Bill Belicick has made a name for himsel for the 3/4 defense but without LT he doesn't get this lofty staus he enjoys as Tom Brady continues to make him stay on that loft.

Exactly which is the very reason why I don't like the 3/4 because of the uncertainty of a player flourishing in it. Everyone continues to chase LT when that was a once in a lifetime player who made that scheme work similar to how Michael Jordon made Phil Jackson's Triangle Offense work. Bill Belicick has made a name for himsel for the 3/4 defense but without LT he doesn't get this lofty staus he enjoys as Tom Brady continues to make him stay on that loft.

I think the 3/4 actually makes for a little easier transition when talking about these hybrid or tweener type guys. When you take a guy like SMC and put him at DE it's gonna be much tougher for him to succeed. Whereas I think the transition to a full time LB for these tweeners is easire because often times they're undersized, and getting them out in space will help them utilize their speed more.

I think the 3/4 actually makes for a little easier transition when talking about these hybrid or tweener type guys. When you take a guy like SMC and put him at DE it's gonna be much tougher for him to succeed. Whereas I think the transition to a full time LB for these tweeners is easire because often times they're undersized, and getting them out in space will help them utilize their speed more.

So does that mean they are miss cast as college players or are they projects when they reach the NFL?

Bench- Beasley 35 CW 36

Vert- Beasley 41 CW 39

Thanks for looking this up. I was wanting to visit his stats again because he had crazy numbers. Just like Shea if you dare to compare him too. We might have the OLBs on this team already and not even know it.