Bears “exploring trade options” for wide receiver Brandon Marshall

madlithuanian

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/...andon-marshall/

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 5, 2015, 11:32 AM EST

Brandon Marshall

AP

‘Tis the season for moving on from bad contracts, and the Bears are no exception.

According to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, the Bears are “exploring trade options” for veteran wide receiver Brandon Marshall.

Whether they’re merely answering the phone, or putting out word in hopes of making it ring remains to be seen, but it’s clear there’s some disconnect between the new regime of General Manager Ryan Pace/coach John Fox and the guy who got an extension from the previous administration last offseason.

If Marshall is still on the Bears roster on March 12, his $7.5 million in base salary is guaranteed.

The Bears got Marshall for a pair of third-round picks in 2012, and would certainly be looking for less than that now, to get out from under the contract.

It’s not that Marshall’s not been productive when well, but his media schedule and a few outbursts with teammates have made him the kind of guy new coaches are wary of.

Brandon Marshall

AP

‘Tis the season for moving on from bad contracts, and the Bears are no exception.

According to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, the Bears are “exploring trade options” for veteran wide receiver Brandon Marshall.

Whether they’re merely answering the phone, or putting out word in hopes of making it ring remains to be seen, but it’s clear there’s some disconnect between the new regime of General Manager Ryan Pace/coach John Fox and the guy who got an extension from the previous administration last offseason.

If Marshall is still on the Bears roster on March 12, his $7.5 million in base salary is guaranteed.

The Bears got Marshall for a pair of third-round picks in 2012, and would certainly be looking for less than that now, to get out from under the contract.

It’s not that Marshall’s not been productive when well, but his media schedule and a few outbursts with teammates have made him the kind of guy new coaches are wary of.

Having a pretty similar WR in Alshon makes BM movable. It makes sense.

I like BM, think he has 2 to 3 good to great years left but if they can improve the overall talent level and licker room culture by trading him then I understand it.

Looks like this could be a very interesting off season.

BM ??

Cutty???

Forte?????

Which FA do they bring in????

Having a pretty similar WR in Alshon makes BM movable. It makes sense.

I like BM, think he has 2 to 3 good to great years left but if they can improve the overall talent level and licker room culture by trading him then I understand it.

Looks like this could be a very interesting off season.

BM ??

Cutty???

Forte?????

Which FA do they bring in????

I'm wondering if that meeting with Hartline went well and they are anticipating moves? I personally don't like the idea of losing BM, but then I'm just a fan watching from afar. My wife will be upset too as his is the only jersey that she owns.

I don't understand the bad contract part. He's paid under his production/talent level. He had an off year last year, but he was injured and played hurt last year. The guaranteed money this year isn't a problem if you plan to keep him or trade him.

I'm wondering if that meeting with Hartline went well and they are anticipating moves? I personally don't like the idea of losing BM, but then I'm just a fan watching from afar. My wife will be upset too as his is the only jersey that she owns.

I wish the thinking was Hartline, Marshall and Jeffrey. You can put Marshall in the slot and Jeffrey and Hartline on the outside.I still think they need to add a quick twitch guy or a speed guy to the mix in a 4 WR set.

I wish the thinking was Hartline, Marshall and Jeffrey. You can put Marshall in the slot and Jeffrey and Hartline on the outside.I still think they need to add a quick twitch guy or a speed guy to the mix in a 4 WR set.

Perhaps worth noting, the last 2 years the #4 WR in Gase's offense has a grand total of 247 yards on 21 receptions...and a lot of that came in 4 games when Wes Welker was hurt.

He could of course add that wrinkle to the offense I suppose though.

Here's more on that...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/...l-hard-to-move/

Age, contract, production, reputation make Marshall hard to move

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 5, 2015, 3:19 PM EST

Brandon Marshall

AP

The Bears are trying to trade wide receiver Brandon Marshall. That won’t be easy.

Although Marshall is a five-time Pro Bowler, what he’s done in the past isn’t particularly relevant to what a team would be willing to give up for him now. What’s relevant is that Marshall’s production is declining with age, that he has an expensive contract, and that his reputation around the NFL is less than sterling.

Marshall will turn 31 this month, and last season he had his worst season since his rookie year. Marshall caught just 61 passes for 721 yards before suffering a season-ending injury in the 13th game of the season. That’s a sharp decline in production for a guy who had entered 2014 on a streak of seven consecutive 1,000-yard seasons. Like most players, Marshall has slowed down after his 30th birthday.

Another issue is Marshall’s contract, with a $7.5 million guarantee that comes due on March 12. Any team trading for Marshall would be inheriting that contract, unless Marshall is willing to restructure his deal. Marshall’s cap hit for 2015 is $9,575,000, which is the 16th biggest cap hit for a wide receiver in the NFL. If you’re going to pay a guy Top 16 money, that means you think he’s an above-average No. 1 receiver. Marshall has been an above-average No. 1 receiver in the past, but he’s not anymore.

There are also off-field questions that any team mulling a trade for Marshall would have to consider. Those issues go beyond the legal trouble Marshall faced multiple times early in his career: Marshall has spoken openly about his battle with mental illness, and he deserves credit for seeking treatment. But even if Marshall is now avoiding legal problems, there have been more recent reports that Marshall was a negative presence in the Bears’ locker room last season. Marshall has a reputation as a malcontent, and that’s not the kind of locker room presence teams want to acquire.

Add it all up, and it’s hard to see any team trading for Marshall. If the Bears don’t want him, they may have to cut him.

I don't understand the bad contract part. He's paid under his production/talent level. He had an off year last year, but he was injured and played hurt last year. The guaranteed money this year isn't a problem if you plan to keep him or trade him.

I just hope we trade him to a team that sucks. Watch him going to New England and have 1500+ receiving yards.

Brandon Marshall

AP

I just hope we trade him to a team that sucks. Watch him going to New England and have 1500+ receiving yards.

I could see BM buying into the Patriot Way real quick. Now that you bring it up, why are they not trading for him???? They have already succeed once before with Moss. I know someone will throw the Ochocinco out there, but I wouldnt put BM and Ochodouche in the same arena.

The more I think about it I do not want to see BM go from a fan standpoint. Seeing his cap hit rise the next year tells me its time to get rid of him now.

I could see BM buying into the Patriot Way real quick. Now that you bring it up, why are they not trading for him???? They have already succeed once before with Moss. I know someone will throw the Ochocinco out there, but I wouldnt put BM and Ochodouche in the same arena.

The more I think about it I do not want to see BM go from a fan standpoint. Seeing his cap hit rise the next year tells me its time to get rid of him now.

I'm with you. Not to mention, part of what makes getting rid of him seem ok hinges on Alshon Jeffery being a top WR. Is he? He looked awesome in 2013 when teams were focusing on BM. In 2014, in a pass happy offense, he put up 1100+ yards with 10 TD. That's pretty damn good except I'll bet half of it was in garbage time when we were losing 75-3.

That being said, it seems the new regime is intent on getting rid of BM and he seems to know it. I wonder how much of that has to do with the staff wanting to get him away from Cutler.

I'm with you. Not to mention, part of what makes getting rid of him seem ok hinges on Alshon Jeffery being a top WR. Is he? He looked awesome in 2013 when teams were focusing on BM. In 2014, in a pass happy offense, he put up 1100+ yards with 10 TD. That's pretty damn good except I'll bet half of it was in garbage time when we were losing 75-3.

That being said, it seems the new regime is intent on getting rid of BM and he seems to know it. I wonder how much of that has to do with the staff wanting to get him away from Cutler.

At this point if I had to choose I'd much rather see Cutler go long before I'd rather see Brandon leave. Hell I'd just as soon rather see Cutler go before Conte or even Briggs for that matter.

Watching NFL Network tonight and they are talking about this subject. A lot of good points being made. One of which was Willie McGinist and Solomon Wilcots both saying that they are not ridding of him because of his personality. John Fox knows how to manage people like that. It's something else. I'm starting to think trying to trade BM is going to be a real bad idea. I see this akin to Urlacher leaving like he did.

Watching NFL Network tonight and they are talking about this subject. A lot of good points being made. One of which was Willie McGinist and Solomon Wilcots both saying that they are not ridding of him because of his personality. John Fox knows how to manage people like that. It's something else. I'm starting to think trying to trade BM is going to be a real bad idea. I see this akin to Urlacher leaving like he did.

I saw this too. Each and every player and former player on that stage said Marshall is still one of the best WR in the league. Articles about him not even being a top 16 WR are just BS from writers who need to stir the pot to get people to read what they write, or they are just too lazy to do research, or to actually get to know a guy, so they just repeat what they see elsewhere on the internet. I trust my eyes and the guy who made that amazing TD catch against the 49ers on a bad ankle still has my vote to stay here.

However, I think this is more about clearing cap space and re-balancing the roster long term. If you are rebuilding the team Marshall is not a big part of your 3-4 year plan. Jeffrey likely is and we'll need to pay him very soon plus as we've said many times, Jeffrey and Marshall have similar skillsets. Marshall's value will never be higher than it is right now largely due to his age.

When Marshall was out our WRs were pretty bad last year. Even Jeffrey took a step back. This trade talk means the coaches must feel they'll be able to get more out of Wilson than we did last year or they've targeted someone in FA that can be a good player for us. A quick survey of the scene means that we will go after guys like Cobb but I don't see us giving him $10mil over Marshall.

I think the target might be Torrey Smith from Baltimore. Marshall has a $10mil cap hit and Cobb is generating all the noise as the "best" FA WR so he'll get a big deal. I always like to stay one level back in FA where the value is better IMO. I'd guess Smith will get a deal worth around $7-8mil/yr,(he turned down 5/35 from Ravens), so we'd have some cap space and (hopefully) a 3rd Rd pick. Smith nor Jeffrey are true #1 WRs but they are really good 2's IMO and I think that combination for us would be very good on the field. Smith is only 26 so we'd have our WR corps for the next 4-5 years. Then you have a quick guy like Wilson in the slot where I think he can play and we add one more to compete with Wilson via the draft with that pick we got.

When Marshall was out our WRs were pretty bad last year.

I almost wonder if this was more a reflection on Cutler than any of our WR's. Cutler had developed such a reliance on Marshall that when he was gone, Cutty was lost.

I'm on record as wanting Marshall back but if they can clear caps space, get a good pick and find a suitable replacement who fits the new offense, I'll be OK with life after Brandon.

I saw this too. Each and every player and former player on that stage said Marshall is still one of the best WR in the league. Articles about him not even being a top 16 WR are just BS from writers who need to stir the pot to get people to read what they write, or they are just too lazy to do research, or to actually get to know a guy, so they just repeat what they see elsewhere on the internet. I trust my eyes and the guy who made that amazing TD catch against the 49ers on a bad ankle still has my vote to stay here.

However, I think this is more about clearing cap space and re-balancing the roster long term. If you are rebuilding the team Marshall is not a big part of your 3-4 year plan. Jeffrey likely is and we'll need to pay him very soon plus as we've said many times, Jeffrey and Marshall have similar skillsets. Marshall's value will never be higher than it is right now largely due to his age.

When Marshall was out our WRs were pretty bad last year. Even Jeffrey took a step back. This trade talk means the coaches must feel they'll be able to get more out of Wilson than we did last year or they've targeted someone in FA that can be a good player for us. A quick survey of the scene means that we will go after guys like Cobb but I don't see us giving him $10mil over Marshall.

I think the target might be Torrey Smith from Baltimore. Marshall has a $10mil cap hit and Cobb is generating all the noise as the "best" FA WR so he'll get a big deal. I always like to stay one level back in FA where the value is better IMO. I'd guess Smith will get a deal worth around $7-8mil/yr,(he turned down 5/35 from Ravens), so we'd have some cap space and (hopefully) a 3rd Rd pick. Smith nor Jeffrey are true #1 WRs but they are really good 2's IMO and I think that combination for us would be very good on the field. Smith is only 26 so we'd have our WR corps for the next 4-5 years. Then you have a quick guy like Wilson in the slot where I think he can play and we add one more to compete with Wilson via the draft with that pick we got.

All great points. Part of what bothers me is that by getting rid of him you're taking away a piece of the team that actually worked. We all know the defense is primarily what needs help not so much the offense. As Cracker said I'd agree that of the offense, Marshall is not THE broken piece. But the point about cap space, if that is what it is, sucks because that could be the only reason. Although I don't think the team needs to rebuild (going back to my original point).

This feels to me like it could be very de-stabilizing .