Suh to Miami 6/$114, $60 mil guaranteed

bradjock

Today I've heard a ton of talk about how the Bears could be targeting Suh. He'll get at least a 100+ million contract with 60 guaranteed and become the richest defensive player in NFL history. What are your thoughts on this?My thoughts:

1. I was really skeptical when we signed Peppers to that huge deal because he had like 1 sack the previous season. That turned out to be a great signing. Could Suh have a similar impact?

2. How much is DT a need? Lamar Houston, when healthy, will project inside in a 3-4. Jay Ratliff, Fergoson, Sutton . . . that's not a bad group when I don't know how any of our DE's will convert, we have no proven linebackers, and we are incredibly thin/weak in the secondary. DT might be our strongest position.

3. How bad was our defense the last 2 years because of stupid coaching?

It'll be interesting. May 10th is one week away. The last few years the Bears have been busy when free agency opens.

"May 10th" is actually a long way away. A lot farther than March 10th. ?har har.

Anyhow at first I was a big fan of the idea especially when Willie Young was heard talking about it during the season. The combo of he and Sub could be terrific! But, with the money potentially involved and all the other needs on D would it be worth it. Probably ,... But I'm not sure.

Today I've heard a ton of talk about how the Bears could be targeting Suh. He'll get at least a 100+ million contract with 60 guaranteed and become the richest defensive player in NFL history. What are your thoughts on this?My thoughts:

1. I was really skeptical when we signed Peppers to that huge deal because he had like 1 sack the previous season. That turned out to be a great signing. Could Suh have a similar impact?

2. How much is DT a need? Lamar Houston, when healthy, will project inside in a 3-4. Jay Ratliff, Fergoson, Sutton . . . that's not a bad group when I don't know how any of our DE's will convert, we have no proven linebackers, and we are incredibly thin/weak in the secondary. DT might be our strongest position.

3. How bad was our defense the last 2 years because of stupid coaching?

It'll be interesting. May 10th is one week away. The last few years the Bears have been busy when free agency opens.

Isn't Suh best suited for DT in a 4-3 scheme? Wouldn't it make more sense to fill two or three positions with that type of money??? I'm talking 2 or 3 studs.... Shit 4 great players for that money.

I just think the Bears have too many holes to tie up in one player.

Isn't Suh best suited for DT in a 4-3 scheme? Wouldn't it make more sense to fill two or three positions with that type of money??? I'm talking 2 or 3 studs.... Shit 4 great players for that money.

I just think the Bears have too many holes to tie up in one player.

I prefer to take the cap space and apply at all 3 levels of the defense and find our elite playmaker with pick #7. However, we aren't going to get 4 great players for the same money we'd spend for Suh. We might get 4 good players but it is the great players who make the difference on the field at the end of the day and those guys are hard to find.

Suh can certainly play DE in a 3-4 alignment. Just imagine him at LDE and Shelton at NT. Are you going to double team both on running downs? Even on a passing down Shelton is going to walk a single Olineman back into the QB's face. Now you've taken the rest of your defense and they pretty much have to focus on the edge plays with one ILB to help the other DE. If we have Ferguson and Ratliff as DE/backup DE along with Sutton/Houston we have a very stout Dline. Keep Paea around to backup at NT as he has the strength for it or grab another guy out of FA that is a better fit for the role like Raji or, if you just want pure run stuffer, Dan Williams from AZ.

With that setup you would be very comfortable bringing pressure with blitzes off the edges or even up the middle.

I prefer to take the cap space and apply at all 3 levels of the defense and find our elite playmaker with pick #7. However, we aren't going to get 4 great players for the same money we'd spend for Suh. We might get 4 good players but it is the great players who make the difference on the field at the end of the day and those guys are hard to find.

Suh can certainly play DE in a 3-4 alignment. Just imagine him at LDE and Shelton at NT. Are you going to double team both on running downs? Even on a passing down Shelton is going to walk a single Olineman back into the QB's face. Now you've taken the rest of your defense and they pretty much have to focus on the edge plays with one ILB to help the other DE. If we have Ferguson and Ratliff as DE/backup DE along with Sutton/Houston we have a very stout Dline. Keep Paea around to backup at NT as he has the strength for it or grab another guy out of FA that is a better fit for the role like Raji or, if you just want pure run stuffer, Dan Williams from AZ.

With that setup you would be very comfortable bringing pressure with blitzes off the edges or even up the middle.

4 may have been a stretch but you get my point, signing 2 or 3 good players and 1 stud may work with the 100 mil 60mil gur......

What will these guys get in new contracts?

McCourty - clearly the best S in FA, not sure what the price tag will be

Randall Cobb - WR type the Bears need while upgrading the SP

Mike Iupati - kick Long out to Tackle and you just made two spots better with one signing

Rahim Moore- cheaper S upgrade

Could you sign 2 or 3 of these guys with 100mil?????

WR is deep in this years draft, may be you don't sign Cobb. Safety is weak in this years draft, maybe you want to sign both of these guys.

I really like the idea of signing Mike Iupati, McCourty and Moore (maybe this couldn't be done for 100 mil). Then you go find a speed rusher OLB, NT and WR in the draft.

I kinda doubt he gets 100M to be honest.

1. He's not better than JJ Watt and 2. he's 3 years older than Watt.

Watt got 7/100 at age 25, so his contract would be up age 32. Suh, if he were to get a similar deal would have a contract through age 35, which while possible, I doubt. I think 5/80 is more realistic.

Watts average per year is 16.6, I think Suh gets 16 flat, I'd do that all day.

Suh-Ratliff-Houston

Grab an OLB and ILB with the first 2 picks.

Young-2R/Bostic/Jones-1R

Grab Rahim Moore and Chis Culliver for 4M each

CB- Fuller-Culliver-Jennings-Louis Jean

FS- Moore-Vereen

SS-Mundy-3/4R pick.

Boom.

It would be hypocritical of me to want this dirty ass piece of shit on the Bears. So I don't care what he brings in terms of talent, to me the character issues override my desire to see what he can do in Blue and Orange.

I don't think a team needs to be made up of boy scouts but Suh is a special breed of dick I'd just as soon not have playing for my favorite team.

It would be hypocritical of me to want this dirty ass piece of shit on the Bears. So I don't care what he brings in terms of talent, to me the character issues override my desire to see what he can do in Blue and Orange.

I don't think a team needs to be made up of boy scouts but Suh is a special breed of dick I'd just as soon not have playing for my favorite team.

Yeah I'd have to agree to this. I'm not sure if his 'professional' character was molded by that dillhole Schwatrz (Suh was t that bad at Nebraska) but he's definitley got an edge to him that's undesirable. Reminds me of Lyle Alzado or Mark Gastineau. Good players but real dicks.

Given all the factors and weighing the needs I'll pass.

Andddd then I remember about Pace talking about character and my dreams crash. I really think he'd fit money and skill wise but character wise probably not.

I'll move on to McCourty.

But we'd sign him with the intent that he would be a high character guy with the Bears :rolleyes:

We all hate dirty play, but raise your hand if you smiled when he intentionally injured Mr. Discount Double-Check :headbang

I don't think it happens mainly because a lot of teams have a lot more money then we have. Not to mention we already have a bunch of dough tied up in our d-line. But Suh would sure as hell make a lot of our defensive positions look a lot better.

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 4h4 hours ago

It sounds like the first pack of seven in the Suh sweepstakes are: #Raiders, #Dolphins, #Bears, #Jaguars, #Giants, #Chargers and #Lions.

Guy works for some newspaper.....Was retweeted be Aaron Lemming.

Doubt it happens, but wouldn't hate it at all.

EDIT....Lemming says he doubts it as well, just kicking the tires.

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 4h4 hours ago

It sounds like the first pack of seven in the Suh sweepstakes are: #Raiders, #Dolphins, #Bears, #Jaguars, #Giants, #Chargers and #Lions.

Guy works for some newspaper.....Was retweeted be Aaron Lemming.

Doubt it happens, but wouldn't hate it at all.

EDIT....Lemming says he doubts it as well, just kicking the tires.

Raiders (ton of cap space) and San Diego have high taxes. Jags (ton of cap space) and Miami have no tax. Giants and Bears are big markets (where Suh alluded he wanted to play in). Giants and Dolphins have very little cap space, so I would be surprised if he signed a mega-contract at those locations. Jax and Oak have a ton of space making them logical. The Bears and Chargers have similar situations in regards to cap space, but Chicago is obviously the bigger market.

Raiders (ton of cap space) and San Diego have high taxes. Jags (ton of cap space) and Miami have no tax. Giants and Bears are big markets (where Suh alluded he wanted to play in). Giants and Dolphins have very little cap space, so I would be surprised if he signed a mega-contract at those locations. Jax and Oak have a ton of space making them logical. The Bears and Chargers have similar situations in regards to cap space, but Chicago is obviously the bigger market.

I keep hearing the Bears will be players for Suh. Has anybody from the Chicago media reported this? I know they've said they should.

I just don't see us going after him.

Dude formally agreed to a 6 year 114M dollar contract with the Dolphins.

Good god, shocked he got more than Watt.

Glad to see him out of the division.

The money sounds about right and the Dolphins were rumored to be the front-runner.

That being said, how does this get leaked without tampering charges? Teams are not supposed to be able to discuss specifics. Remember a few years back when San Fran got in trouble for tampering with Lance Briggs? They ended up losing a draft pick out of that deal. When free agency started, they made it a point not to sign him. It was like the league threatened them to stay away.

The money sounds about right and the Dolphins were rumored to be the front-runner.

That being said, how does this get leaked without tampering charges? Teams are not supposed to be able to discuss specifics. Remember a few years back when San Fran got in trouble for tampering with Lance Briggs? They ended up losing a draft pick out of that deal. When free agency started, they made it a point not to sign him. It was like the league threatened them to stay away.

Good question. Maybe they could say we'd like to offer you a deal AROUND 6 years 114 mill, and it wouldn't be considered "Specifics".

Good question. Maybe they could say we'd like to offer you a deal AROUND 6 years 114 mill, and it wouldn't be considered "Specifics".

Good point. I hope it goes through. It will be NICE getting him out of the division. That's a major loss for the kittens.

As a guy who wants talent more than character, and has openly called for questionable players on the Bears - many who have succeeded elsewhere - I agree with your sentiment. Suh is a dirty bitch, and probably one of only a few players in the NFL that deserve a massive, season-ending injury.