Slauson interview on WGN radio

adam

I don't know if anyone listened to the Slauson interview, but it was pretty good (link below).

He said he was impressed with Pace and his vision, talked with Coach Fox about accountability (wants to be held accountable as professional athletes, doesn't want gray area, wants black and white, and that is what Fox is all about). He was asked about Long moving to LT, and just said we need him on the field. He said Forte is an every down back.

On Marshall, he said he didn't know a whole lot about personnel decisions, so he couldn't say that he was surprised or not; but Brandon is a great player and will be missed on this team. This seemed like a really odd answer as either you are or are not shocked by the move. To me it seemed like he just wanted to take the high road and didn't say either way, then said Brandon was a great player and would be missed.

The most interesting part of the interview was the last question when asked about if he wanted to see Cutler back with team:

"Absolutely, I have every confidence in him, his ability, his intelligence, the guy can be the best in the league, we just have to do a better job as a team supporting him (we didn't do that last year), Jay can be every bit of a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers; he can be them, if not more."

I was honestly surprised at how supportive his answer was. Saying that he has all the talent in the world is one thing, but saying that, then saying the team needed to be better, and that Cutler had the potential to be the best in the league was quite shocking to me. Hearing this makes me believe that he will be back.

http://wgnradio.com/2015/03/08/chicago-bea...ort-him-better/

I don't know if anyone listened to the Slauson interview, but it was pretty good (link below).

He said he was impressed with Pace and his vision, talked with Coach Fox about accountability (wants to be held accountable as professional athletes, doesn't want gray area, wants black and white, and that is what Fox is all about). He was asked about Long moving to LT, and just said we need him on the field. He said Forte is an every down back.

On Marshall, he said he didn't know a whole lot about personnel decisions, so he couldn't say that he was surprised or not; but Brandon is a great player and will be missed on this team. This seemed like a really odd answer as either you are or are not shocked by the move. To me it seemed like he just wanted to take the high road and didn't say either way, then said Brandon was a great player and would be missed.

The most interesting part of the interview was the last question when asked about if he wanted to see Cutler back with team:

I was honestly surprised at how supportive his answer was. Saying that he has all the talent in the world is one thing, but saying that, then saying the team needed to be better, and that Cutler had the potential to be the best in the league was quite shocking to me. Hearing this makes me believe that he will be back.

http://wgnradio.com/2015/03/08/chicago-bea...ort-him-better/

I think his statement gets to the crux of the Cutler problem. Slauson's only other team has been with the Jets where he got to play with the likes of Dirty Sanchez. Cutler is way better than Sanchez and he knows it. While we may want to get away from Cutler, we can do one helluva a lot worse.

I believe in Jay too, and by supporting him I wonder if he means the OL, which was really bad.

I totally understand getting rid of that contract though. He CAN be good behind a good OL but the contract is pretty steep.

Got 3 days to find out what the staff thinks. If he's a Bear on March 12th, he's more than likely a Bear week 1.

The quote is not a shocker to me. It's true. But pretty much every year with the Bears there has been a huge Achilles heel. Either an atrocious OL, horrible scheme, non-existent defense, etc. While in Chicago, Cutler had yet to see a complete effort to maximize his potential.

I think his statement gets to the crux of the Cutler problem. Slauson's only other team has been with the Jets where he got to play with the likes of Dirty Sanchez. Cutler is way better than Sanchez and he knows it. While we may want to get away from Cutler, we can do one helluva a lot worse.

True, but he also was on the team that went to the AFC Championship with Sanchez, and then the drop off that occurred afterwards. I think he would have been a little less supportive if he didn't feel strongly about Cutler. You don't say someone can be the best in the league to compliment them, you can say that he is a great QB, great talent, etc. I just that was an interesting comment.

The quote is not a shocker to me. It's true. But pretty much every year with the Bears there has been a huge Achilles heel. Either an atrocious OL, horrible scheme, non-existent defense, etc. While in Chicago, Cutler had yet to see a complete effort to maximize his potential.

So do we finally put it together this year or next (w/ Cutler)?

So do we finally put it together this year or next (w/ Cutler)?

I sure hope so, but as a Bear fan I'm an eternal pessimist.

For nearly three decades I've disagreed with more Bears moves than I have agreed with, and it appears that I, along with most Bears fans, have been right in criticizing the moves considering the lack of success. Maybe this new front office finally changed that perspective.

I'd say 2013 was was a fairly complete effort, and I thought he was pretty good.

If you take out the Washington game where he got hurt, and the Detroit game where he was CLEARLY playing hurt, he was on pace for some pretty good numbers.

65% completion% 4165 yards 32 TDs 17 INTs

And that's what he was on pace for without facing the terrible teams McCown got to light up. I don't think it's crazy to say that he could have been around 66%/4400/35/19

For nearly three decades I've disagreed with more Bears moves than I have agreed with, and it appears that I, along with most Bears fans, have been right in criticizing the moves considering the lack of success. Maybe this new front office finally changed that perspective.

I have been right there with you since as early as I can remember (late 70's games). The biggest reason for optimism is with the new front office and coaching staff. I don't think we have ever had a stronger core group from top to bottom (Pace-Fox-Gase-Fangio)

With all the bad personal decisions over the years, being negative about any transaction, would cause you to be right most of the time.

We dont know how this turns out, but one thing I do know is they seem to be viewing the team as I do and acting accordingly. (being not very good)

HOPE THEY GET IT RIGHT

I'd say 2013 was was a fairly complete effort, and I thought he was pretty good.

If you take out the Washington game where he got hurt, and the Detroit game where he was CLEARLY playing hurt, he was on pace for some pretty good numbers.

65% completion% 4165 yards 32 TDs 17 INTs

And that's what he was on pace for without facing the terrible teams McCown got to light up. I don't think it's crazy to say that he could have been around 66%/4400/35/19

Agreed. Jay could easily have broken 4K last year, but he was injured. But that's the only year, and even then all anyone talked about was Good Jay vs Bad Jay.