Marshall and 7th for 5th round pick

adam

A 7th is almost a throw-away pick anyway. There are more UDFA's that make it than 7th rounders. Most players don't want to even be drafted in the 7th, as they would rather go undrafted and pick their spot. To me this is not a big deal at all. To me, all indications were that we would've cut him without an offer (just like Andre Johnson was cut), but we at least got a 5th rounder back (which we didn't have before). Houston got nothing for Johnson.

A 7th is almost a throw-away pick anyway. There are more UDFA's that make it than 7th rounders. Most players don't want to even be drafted in the 7th, as they would rather go undrafted and pick their spot. To me this is not a big deal at all. To me, all indications were that we would've cut him without an offer (just like Andre Johnson was cut), but we at least got a 5th rounder back (which we didn't have before). Houston got nothing for Johnson.

You are undervaluing the importance of late round picks. There's a reason why GM's treat them as valuable. Kickers and punters often do not get drafted, mainly because GM's would rather focus on bad position players. We take Pat O'Donnell in the 6th round, and he looks like he could become the best punter in the league and he'll make the minimum. Is that not a big deal?

I'm still wondering how we drafted Charles Leno over Christian Jones. Marques Wilson was a 7th rounder who looks like he has the potential to be a really good WR. Richard Dent was drafted in the 7th round.

The 7th round gives you the first pick of the best of the rest. A good GM takes advantage of this.

You are undervaluing the importance of late round picks. There's a reason why GM's treat them as valuable. Kickers and punters often do not get drafted, mainly because GM's would rather focus on bad position players. We take Pat O'Donnell in the 6th round, and he looks like he could become the best punter in the league and he'll make the minimum. Is that not a big deal?

I'm still wondering how we drafted Charles Leno over Christian Jones. Marques Wilson was a 7th rounder who looks like he has the potential to be a really good WR. Richard Dent was drafted in the 7th round.

The 7th round gives you the first pick of the best of the rest. A good GM takes advantage of this.

How can you not mention J'Marcus Webb!!! The greatest 7th rounder of all time!!!!!

Speaking of Leno, Pace might see something in him and Groy if they are not pursuing FA line talent. One reason I haven't thought too hard in drafting oline high was bc of those two and even Ola. They are young and have room to grow.

Speaking of Leno, Pace might see something in him and Groy if they are not pursuing FA line talent. One reason I haven't thought too hard in drafting oline high was bc of those two and even Ola. They are young and have room to grow.

They have been connected to the Raiders center so there's that....The FA Guard/Tackle market blows.

I dont post here much, but there is another way to look at the Brandon Marshall trade.

Personally I like Marshall a lot. I respect him for how he works his Personality Disorder, and I believe he is talented and passionate.

I understand why people are not happy about the trade.

But there is another angle, and that is that we cannot seem to get rid of Jay Cutler. And the problem with Jay Cutler it seems is that he won't execute the play and make the reads, but instead locked in on Marshall, and played sandlot football. Between the lines I think a LOT of coaches have held their collective tongues while Cutler believed he was above it all.

We read how Gase will look to limit Cutler and make him play in a system. I assume that if Cutler was a free agent, we would not be interested.

Therefore, it makes sense to me that trading Marshall was the only move they could make to break up the band, and try to force Cutler to play in a system.

BM has good years left, but he probably isn't going to be around when this build peaks anyway, so from that point of view it makes a lot of sense.

I wish him well in NY, and I remain a fan of his and not if Cutler's.

I truly believe that if they had the same cap hit, Cutler would be gone and BM would be staying.

Can't find the tweet, thought Lemming retweeted it but i guess not but.....Someone posted a break down of targets per route ran the other day. 3 years ago Marshall lead the league at 37% (Meaning of the routes he ran, he was targeted 37% of the time), then 2 years ago it was 27%, and last year it was 22%.

Once Jay actually got some talent other than B, he spread the ball around a lot more.

I really see no reason to believe it was anything more than him rubbing the new staff the wrong way.

Interesting take.

I'm not certain it's the full reason, but certainly seems like it could easily be one more reason why...

I dont post here much, but there is another way to look at the Brandon Marshall trade.

Personally I like Marshall a lot. I respect him for how he works his Personality Disorder, and I believe he is talented and passionate.

I understand why people are not happy about the trade.

But there is another angle, and that is that we cannot seem to get rid of Jay Cutler. And the problem with Jay Cutler it seems is that he won't execute the play and make the reads, but instead locked in on Marshall, and played sandlot football. Between the lines I think a LOT of coaches have held their collective tongues while Cutler believed he was above it all.

We read how Gase will look to limit Cutler and make him play in a system. I assume that if Cutler was a free agent, we would not be interested.

Therefore, it makes sense to me that trading Marshall was the only move they could make to break up the band, and try to force Cutler to play in a system.

BM has good years left, but he probably isn't going to be around when this build peaks anyway, so from that point of view it makes a lot of sense.

I wish him well in NY, and I remain a fan of his and not if Cutler's.

I truly believe that if they had the same cap hit, Cutler would be gone and BM would be staying.

Can't find the tweet, thought Lemming retweeted it but i guess not but.....Someone posted a break down of targets per route ran the other day. 3 years ago Marshall lead the league at 37% (Meaning of the routes he ran, he was targeted 37% of the time), then 2 years ago it was 27%, and last year it was 22%.

Once Jay actually got some talent other than B, he spread the ball around a lot more.

I really see no reason to believe it was anything more than him rubbing the new staff the wrong way.

I agree, and have noticed over the past three seasons he has leaned less and less on Marshall. Partly due to adding new targets, but also developing a report with them as well. Just adding a new target however you do so doesn't instantly translate into more spreading the ball around but it does start the trend as QB and WR or TE get more familiar with more practice and in game reps. When Marshall got here he had chemistry with him having played together before so it was natural to lock in on him, and 37% is a high percentage and defenses knew that if Marshall wasn't the first option on a play Jay would still quickly look his way. As Jeffery got more acclimated and Bennet got more reps with him the ball went around more. Also think with Trestman's system a lot of balls went Forte's way too especially last year.

At the end of the day the deal is done and he's not here now. All we can do is speculate based on what we've seen personally and what's been reported. The situation isn't new for Brandon, there is a trend of him wearing out his welcome with a team.

Had a better year than Marshall last year and is two years younger.

Yeah, to me this is basically the going rate for this type of transaction. However, we got a higher pick in the 5th and gave up a higher one in the 7th, but based on draft pick value, we got a better deal.