Lamarr Houston to OLB

scs787

He's got nowhere else to play. He's not big enough to be a DE although he can kick inside on pass rushing downs. Reality is signing McPhee is the beginning of the end for Houston's time here. They are too similar in styles although hopefully McPhee is far more productive. I can't see any GM building their roster with big money to both these players for one spot on the field and Pace has to be smart enough to know the same thing. The OLB opposite McPhee needs to be our speed pass rusher. Next year if he's cut Houston's contract has just $1mil in dead money and $6mil in cap savings.

Gonna be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Speed doesn't look like a necessity for Vic. Between his time in San Fran and Baltimore take a look at the 40s of the guys he's had.

Aldon Smith- 4.74

Ahmad Brooks- 4.69

Parys Haralson- 4.80

Terrell Suggs- 4.84

Elvis Dumervill- 4.75

Paul Kruger- 5.00

Courtney Upshaw- 4.76

Jarrett Johnson- 5.07

I'm not even excluding any fast guys to make a point here.

Houston ran a 4.84 and Young ran a 4.82.

Perhaps he values "Violence" over speed.

He's got nowhere else to play. He's not big enough to be a DE although he can kick inside on pass rushing downs. Reality is signing McPhee is the beginning of the end for Houston's time here. They are too similar in styles although hopefully McPhee is far more productive. I can't see any GM building their roster with big money to both these players for one spot on the field and Pace has to be smart enough to know the same thing. The OLB opposite McPhee needs to be our speed pass rusher. Next year if he's cut Houston's contract has just $1mil in dead money and $6mil in cap savings.

Houston played the DE spot in Oakland's 3-4. He should be able to do the same here if needed.

Do the Bears have a DE? Fox has called Young, Houston, Allen, and McPhee OLB's until they get on the grass.

I know some here have disputed this, but with the Bears looking at guys like Knighton, Dan Williams, and Shelton(Only prospect they visited twice) who are all NTs, I think at this point they could look at Ratliff and Ego at DE.

Certainly could be something they look at in the draft.

I look at Houston and see BJ Raji. Sometimes DE sometimes inside. Us longtime Bear fans really are new to this defense with the exception of only seeing it played against us. Im hoping Fangio brings us a twist on this defense similar to what Buddy Ryand did with his 4-3. Though Ryan was stubborn when it came to matching up, that's not the case with Fangio.

True, I just haven't heard them mention the position yet in their press conferences. I only caught half of this one, I missed the VIOLENT McPhee, but it didn't seem like they were saying much. They didn't want to address individual players.

DE in a 3-4 is basically at DT. Sutton, Ego, Ratliff will all be in the mix. Shelton still looks enticing as we need more bodies up front than those 3.

DE in a 3-4 is basically at DT. Sutton, Ego, Ratliff will all be in the mix. Shelton still looks enticing as we need more bodies up front than those 3.

Hear what you are saying about Shelton but since he ran the slowest time by a DT recorded in Combine history, he is not a 7th pick! If you were to be a trade partner with Cleveland and get that 2nd 1st rd pick maybe.

Hear what you are saying about Shelton but since he ran the slowest time by a DT recorded in Combine history, he is not a 7th pick! If you were to be a trade partner with Cleveland and get that 2nd 1st rd pick maybe.

we'll see how his pro day goes but he still is mocking anywhere from pick 5 down to 16. His game is still top 10 imo.

Just for comparison sake here.....

Haloti Ngata, who Shelton gets compared to, ran the 20 yard short shuttle at 4.69. Danny Shelton ran it at 4.65. Ngata ran the 3 cone drill at 7.97. Shelton ran it at 7.99.

The short shuttle measures change of direction, agility and explosiveness, much like the 10-yard split in the 40 would. The player starts at, say, the five-yard line, runs to the ten, reverses and runs to the goal line, then reverses again and runs to the five. Some say that the short-shuttle is more important than the 40, and I'd probably agree, considering the vast amount of plays that happen in a given football game that require short-area quickness over the ability to run in a straight line really fast.

The three-cone is probably the most physically important drill at the combine, because it somewhat emulates movements that a player might actually make while playing the sport.

In 2 of the most important drills at the combine, Shelton bested Ngata in one, and was off by .02 in another.

Just for comparison sake here.....

Haloti Ngata, who Shelton gets compared to, ran the 20 yard short shuttle at 4.69. Danny Shelton ran it at 4.65. Ngata ran the 3 cone drill at 7.97. Shelton ran it at 7.99.

In 2 of the most important drills at the combine, Shelton bested Ngata in one, and was off by .02 in another.

I dont think there is any question about a fat guy being fast or not. I just think at 7 you should get an impact player. A nose tackle is not usually considered an impact position.

Wilfork was drafted at 21st spot in the first round.

Haloti Ngata drafted 12th in the first round.

Dan Williams drafted 26th in the first round.

Wilford was considered the best in his prime, but not a high pick.

Sporting Charts explains Nose Tackle

The nose tackle is the anchor of a defensive line. Generally, the responsibility of the nose tackle is to clog up as much of the middle of the offensive line as possible to allow the other defensive players to make plays. Nose tackles tend not to make a large impact statistically due to the nature of the position, but they can have an enormous impact on the offense's ability to run the football if they can keep the offense from opening holes for the running back. Nose tackles are often double teamed by the offensive line in order to move them in a preferred direction depending on the play call.

I disagree. Their impact goes beyond the numbers. Like your quote from sporting charts stats, the can make an enormous impact in the run game. Not only by preventing offenses to open holes like the quote says, but also by keeping linebackers clean to make plays. In the passing game their ability to take on double teams opens things up for pass rushers to work 1 on 1 and match up against TEs.

Just because we were bad enough to be picking at 7, and NTs don't typically go around that spot doesn't mean we should pass on a guy who is gonna make every player on the defense better.

I've got to disagree with him not being big enough to play DE in a 3-4. Houston is listed at 6-3, 300 pounds. There was discussion about him playing DT for the Bears last season. He seems ideal at the 3-4 DE spot so it shocks me we are moving him to linebacker. Do we plan on having him drop wait? Meanwhile, McPhee is listed at 6-3, 280.

They say McPhee is able to play all 4 linebacker positions.

I've got to disagree with him not being big enough to play DE in a 3-4. Houston is listed at 6-3, 300 pounds. There was discussion about him playing DT for the Bears last season. He seems ideal at the 3-4 DE spot so it shocks me we are moving him to linebacker. Do we plan on having him drop wait? Meanwhile, McPhee is listed at 6-3, 280.

They say McPhee is able to play all 4 linebacker positions.

I think they want to give Houston a shot at the position he played well in oakland at...OLB.

Ya, Houston certainly has the size to play DE. I suspect, if they do indeed play him at OLB, that we'll see BOTH he and McPhee play standing up and with their hands in the dirt.

I really am intrigued by all this. One thing seems for certain is that Vic is gonna be throwing A TON of different looks at opposing offenses which is a welcome site.

Anyone else shocked by the 40 numbers I posted? I always thought Aldon Smith was a 4.5 guy. Seeing that Terrell Suggs and Lamarr Houston ran the same 40 time is also baffling to me. 2 guys who posted a 5 second 40 or higher have started at OLB in a system Fangio was apart of, one of those guys jus had an 11 sack season.

I think they want to give Houston a shot at the position he played well in oakland at...OLB.

Good point. I'd forgotten that Oakland ran a 3-4.

Wow our interior seems very thin. I'd assumed that we'd have an inside starting trio of Jay Ratliff, Houston, and a combination of Sutton/Ferguson/whoever we sign and draft. Remove Houston from that equation, and blech.

Now with the outside 4, we have Houston, Willie Young, Jared Allen, McFell, Shea, Bostic, Bass . . . it will be real intersting to see how that group shakes out.

Good point. I'd forgotten that Oakland ran a 3-4.

Wow our interior seems very thin. I'd assumed that we'd have an inside starting trio of Jay Ratliff, Houston, and a combination of Sutton/Ferguson/whoever we sign and draft. Remove Houston from that equation, and blech.

Now with the outside 4, we have Houston, Willie Young, Jared Allen, McFell, Shea, Bostic, Bass . . . it will be real intersting to see how that group shakes out.

Quite interesting. A trade down would make since. Especially if we do not sign any FA DTs. We need two more down linemen. Shelton would be nice, and I like Armstead from Oregon. I think he becomes a Justin Smith type player at the 5T.

I disagree. Their impact goes beyond the numbers. Like your quote from sporting charts stats, the can make an enormous impact in the run game. Not only by preventing offenses to open holes like the quote says, but also by keeping linebackers clean to make plays. In the passing game their ability to take on double teams opens things up for pass rushers to work 1 on 1 and match up against TEs.

Just because we were bad enough to be picking at 7, and NTs don't typically go around that spot doesn't mean we should pass on a guy who is gonna make every player on the defense better.

The point I was trying to make, is , in most cases, NTs dont get drafted that high. Its a valve of a top 10 pick. I just dont think they will draft him there. I think if we trade back with someone like Cleve, and draft him at 12 that would make more sense. If we can get the 12th and 19th pick and still get Shelton, that would be a thing.

Oakland played multiple scheme. 2013 lamar's position was essentially a pass rushing OLB.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks_Reed

I don't doubt that they played multiple schemes, but where are you seeing we was a pass rushing OLB?

I remember he played DE and moved inside on passing downs, but don't remember reading about OLB.

Also Brooks Reid was signed by the Falcons lol