OLB: Not a Need?

dawhizz

I know we've all penciled in OLB as a need in the first two rounds, but the more I look at the roster, the more I'm questioning it:

- McPhee will be a starter and while he'll probably move all over, but figures to spend most of his time at OLB.

- Pace has said Young, Allen, and Houston will all start as potential OLBs. I personally see Houston and probably Allen as a better fit at DE, but I can see Young locking down the other OLB.

- Even if he doesn't, I think most of us see Christian Jones as a starter, and his best position is probably OLB in a 3-4, though maybe ILB isn't out of the question.

- I can actually see David Bass being very effective as a 3-4 OLB.

- On top of that, while he could potentially play inside, McClellin was seen coming out of the draft as a best fit at 3-4 OLB.

- The only real fit on the roster presently at ILB is Bostic. Maybe Khaseem Greene and Jones/McClellin can play there too, but that seems more uncertain. Hopefully they bring in Mason Foster or someone as well, and likely draft another ILB.

So, we have seven players (McPhee, Allen, Young, Houston, Jones, Bass, and McClellin) on the roster right now who can challenge for a role at 3-4 OLB. Even if Houston and/or Allen end up at DE and someone like McClellin just washes out, that still leaves a full four players. I'll certainly defer to Fangio's evaluation of the fits, but don't these guys deserve a year to see if they fit before we spend a top pick on an OLB?

I know we've all penciled in OLB as a need in the first two rounds, but the more I look at the roster, the more I'm questioning it:

- McPhee will be a starter and while he'll probably move all over, but figures to spend most of his time at OLB.

- Pace has said Young, Allen, and Houston will all start as potential OLBs. I personally see Houston and probably Allen as a better fit at DE, but I can see Young locking down the other OLB.

- Even if he doesn't, I think most of us see Christian Jones as a starter, and his best position is probably OLB in a 3-4, though maybe ILB isn't out of the question.

- On top of that, while he could potentially play inside, McClellin was seen coming out of the draft as a best fit at 3-4 OLB.

- The only real fit on the roster presently at ILB is Bostic. Maybe Khaseem Greene and Jones/McClellin can play there too, but that seems more uncertain. Hopefully they bring in Mason Foster or someone as well, and likely draft another ILB.

So, we have seven players (McPhee, Allen, Young, Houston, Jones, Bass, and McClellin) on the roster right now who can challenge for a role at 3-4 OLB. Even if Houston and/or Allen end up at DE and someone like McClellin just washes out, that still leaves a full four players. I'll certainly defer to Fangio's evaluation of the fits, but don't these guys deserve a year to see if they fit before we spend a top pick on an OLB?

I would like to see one drafted as well. Aside from Mcphee, every potential LB we have is either old, miscast or inexperienced. Plus there is a lot of talent at this position in the draft. Knowing that this is the havoc position in a 3-4 doesn't hurt either.

Allen is going to be a situational pass rusher and won't necessarily play OLB. He will be an outside edge rusher. He is not strong enough to be inside. Of our current DE's, I see Houston in a similar role as McPhee and is moved all over the place. So he could be considered a DE/OLB. Guys like Bass, Lane, Washington, and Young are more than likely going to have to see if they can play OLB. Dunn, Ferguson, Ratliff, and Sutton will stay on the line. Bostic, Greene, Jones, and Lattimore will have to be tried inside. SMC will more than likely be cut, but if not will get a shot at OLB.

So you are right, we do have a bunch of guys projected for DE/OLB that can't really play DE in a 3-4. I believe some will be moved on draft day or cut in the summer to clean the roster up.

Allen is going to be a situational pass rusher and won't necessarily play OLB. He will be an outside edge rusher. He is not strong enough to be inside. Of our current DE's, I see Houston in a similar role as McPhee and is moved all over the place. So he could be considered a DE/OLB. Guys like Bass, Lane, Washington, and Young are more than likely going to have to see if they can play OLB. Dunn, Ferguson, Ratliff, and Sutton will stay on the line. Bostic, Greene, Jones, and Lattimore will have to be tried inside. SMC will more than likely be cut, but if not will get a shot at OLB.

So you are right, we do have a bunch of guys projected for DE/OLB that can't really play DE in a 3-4. I believe some will be moved on draft day or cut in the summer to clean the roster up.

I think we might add one in the draft but ONLY if that is the BPA. We can make the case for almost every position on the field to add, so whoever we take at what ever round needs to be the BPA, to maximize the draft. GB drafted Adams with Cobb and Nelson on there team(not a need) SF drafted Bolander with all pros Navarro and Willis still healthy. The best drafting teams pick the best players PERIOD

OLB:

91 Bass, David DE 6-4 256 24 = smaller DE that could can out at OLB

99 Houston, Lamarr DE 6-3 300 27 =I think if he could play DE in the 3/4 as well as OLB in the 3/4

50 McClellin, Shea LB 6-3 245 25 = OLB- hoping he actually pans out at a true OLB in the 3/4 as that is where he played in college

92 McPhee, Pernell LB 6-3 280 26 = they have already said they are going to move him around all over the place

DT/ NT

98 Dunn, Brandon DT 6-2 300 22 = dont really know anything about him

95 Ferguson, Ego DT 6-2 309 23

90 Ratliff, Jeremiah DT 6-4 303 33 = old, how many more years does he have left

93 Sutton, Will DT 6-0 315 23

LBer

57 Bostic, Jonathan LB 6-1 246 23 = inside LB

48 Brown, Jonathan LB 6-1 230 22

52 Greene, Khaseem LB 6-1 241 26 = inside LB

59 Jones, Christian LB 6-3 240 24 = some have said he could play OLB, im not sure where he fits

96 Lattimore, DeDe LB 6-1 237 24

DE for 4-3 looks, passing downs

69 Allen, Jared DE 6-6 270 32 = I dont think he wants to play the 5 tech, i would put him at OLB but he really is a true DE in a 4/3

97 Young, Willie DE 6-4 251 29 = prolly will be an OLB, dont see him playing the 5 at 250

Not sure where to put them:

73 Lane, Austen DE 6-6 265 27

60 Merrell, Jamil DE 6-4 252 24

Would love to hear where you guys think some of these guys will play. I dont see Jared Allen or Willie Young being here after this year. We will see about Lamar Houston as well.

With changing to a 3/4 for our base package it really opens up a lot of holes at both DL position. Be it the NT or DE.

With the draft if Vic Beasley is there at 7 I would love drafting him, if the Bears can get the next best pass rushing OLB at 7 they have to for the long term. The Passing OLB is said to be the most important position in Vic Fangio's scheme. Looking at what they have on the roster I would think DL would be more of a NEED at this point.

OLB:

91 Bass, David DE 6-4 256 24 = smaller DE that could can out at OLB

99 Houston, Lamarr DE 6-3 300 27 =I think if he could play DE in the 3/4 as well as OLB in the 3/4

50 McClellin, Shea LB 6-3 245 25 = OLB- hoping he actually pans out at a true OLB in the 3/4 as that is where he played in college

92 McPhee, Pernell LB 6-3 280 26 = they have already said they are going to move him around all over the place

DT/ NT

98 Dunn, Brandon DT 6-2 300 22 = dont really know anything about him

95 Ferguson, Ego DT 6-2 309 23

90 Ratliff, Jeremiah DT 6-4 303 33 = old, how many more years does he have left

93 Sutton, Will DT 6-0 315 23

LBer

57 Bostic, Jonathan LB 6-1 246 23 = inside LB

48 Brown, Jonathan LB 6-1 230 22

52 Greene, Khaseem LB 6-1 241 26 = inside LB

59 Jones, Christian LB 6-3 240 24 = some have said he could play OLB, im not sure where he fits

96 Lattimore, DeDe LB 6-1 237 24

DE for 4-3 looks, passing downs

69 Allen, Jared DE 6-6 270 32 = I dont think he wants to play the 5 tech, i would put him at OLB but he really is a true DE in a 4/3

97 Young, Willie DE 6-4 251 29 = prolly will be an OLB, dont see him playing the 5 at 250

Not sure where to put them:

73 Lane, Austen DE 6-6 265 27

60 Merrell, Jamil DE 6-4 252 24

Would love to hear where you guys think some of these guys will play. I dont see Jared Allen or Willie Young being here after this year. We will see about Lamar Houston as well.

With changing to a 3/4 for our base package it really opens up a lot of holes at both DL position. Be it the NT or DE.

With the draft if Vic Beasley is there at 7 I would love drafting him, if the Bears can get the next best pass rushing OLB at 7 they have to for the long term. The Passing OLB is said to be the most important position in Vic Fangio's scheme. Looking at what they have on the roster I would think DL would be more of a NEED at this point.

Chirtian Jones has been perceived to playing outside, and Willie Young is at OLB for sure

I'd probably pass, but I could certainly see it happening.

I personally wanna see a big ass competition between all the guys people have mentioned. It's gonna get those guys motivated.

Personally, I'm pulling for Jones outside. Grab Mason Foster in FA, then let Bostic, a mid round ILB, and all the other guys compete at ILB.

I'd probably pass, but I could certainly see it happening.

I personally wanna see a big ass competition between all the guys people have mentioned. It's gonna get those guys motivated.

Personally, I'm pulling for Jones outside. Grab Mason Foster in FA, then let Bostic, a mid round ILB, and all the other guys compete at ILB.

Pass on who?

Another OLB....at least at 7 anyway.

Yeah, Im leaning that way to. But longer term I dont see Young, Allen or Houston being here. after this year. You could even throw SMC in there. If there is a game changer at OLB at 7 the Bears should or could take him.

If they think Shelton is going to be a game changer than it makes sense.

Yeah, Im leaning that way to. But longer term I dont see Young, Allen or Houston being here. after this year. You could even throw SMC in there. If there is a game changer at OLB at 7 the Bears should or could take him.

If they think Shelton is going to be a game changer than it makes sense.

Thats exactly what that #7 pick should be, a game changer. That's why it could be a WR. I think Young translate well to OLB and when he is back it will force Houston to the DE position, which technically a DT in Fangio's scheme.

I seen a breakdown of Fangio's 3-4 and it listed LDT,NT,and RDT as per what we perceive to be DEs.

Yeah the Bears now suddenly have a cluster of LB'ers to use since they've made the shift to a 3-4. You've got Young, Allen, Houston, McPhee, McClellin, Bostic, Jones, Bass, Washington (?) Am I missing somebody?

McClellin, Bostic, Jones are probably your ILB in a 3-4. The rest are OLB'ers with guys like Allen and Houston sort of there because they don't fit anywhere else.

McPhee is still somewhat of an unknown. I'd feel better if the Bears drafted an OLB like Fowler or Beasley to feel more secure at that position. McPhee might be your 5 technique DE before it's all said and done. Not sure what the Bears plans are for him.

Yeah the Bears now suddenly have a cluster of LB'ers to use since they've made the shift to a 3-4. You've got Young, Allen, Houston, McPhee, McClellin, Bostic, Jones, Bass, Washington (?) Am I missing somebody?

McClellin, Bostic, Jones are probably your ILB in a 3-4. The rest are OLB'ers with guys like Allen and Houston sort of there because they don't fit anywhere else.

McPhee is still somewhat of an unknown. I'd feel better if the Bears drafted an OLB like Fowler or Beasley to feel more secure at that position. McPhee might be your 5 technique DE before it's all said and done. Not sure what the Bears plans are for him.

He is the Aldon Smith player in Fangio's defense. McP will play all over the field. When healthy Young will be the other OLB and Houston will play LDT because of his size. I see David Bass as being the trump card here, I think he thrives in the new scheme and he will get more and more playing time. We will be loading up on DL,CB and ILB in the draft. Maybe a S if we cant snag another one in FA.

Don't forget about Corndog Washington, according to teammates is the fastest DL on Bears and could be a good fit at rush OLB in 3-4 scheme as well. This is why in one of my Mock drafts a took 3 CB's because our secondary is pretty thin.