I wouldn't be surprised at an offensive draft

jason

Last year the offense was below average and the defense was horrible. Going into the draft it seems that anything right now is possible. I'm seeing DB, WR, DE, LB, S, everything possible.

Since they're switching to a 3-4, it's difficult to know what any of the guys on the roster can/will do.

-The number of potential OLB/ILB combos is borderline obscene.

-I happen to think the front three will be figured out between Houston, Ferguson, Ratliff, Sutton, and Allen, especially since Ratliff has been specifically mentioned as being important in plans.

-Still need plenty of defensive backfield help.

With all that said, here's what Fox has done the last ten years on offense, and what he did while with Gase:

2014 - Pass/Rush ~70%/~30%, RBBC ~65%/~35%, Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, Wes Welker, Tight End

2013 - Pass/Rush ~75%/~25%, RBBC ~65%/~35%, Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Wes Welker, Tight End

Fox "without" Gase:

2012 - Pass/Rush ~75%/~25%, RBBC ~45%/~30%/~20%, Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Tight End, Brandon Stokely

2011 - Pass/Rush ~45%/~55%, RBBC ~50%/~25%/~15%, Eric Decker, Demaryius Thomas, Tight End, Brandon Lloyd

Fox without Gase (CAR):

2010 - Pass/Rush ~55%/~45%, RBBC ~50%/~30%/~20%, Steve Smith, Running Back, Brandon Lafell, David Gettis

2009 - Pass/Rush ~55%/~45%, RBBC ~50%/~50%, Steve Smith, Muhsin Muhammed, Running Back, Tight End

2008 - Pass/Rush ~55%/~45%, RBBC ~65%/~35%, Steve Smith, Muhsin Muhammed, Running Back, Tight End

2007 - Pass/Rush ~60%/~40%, RBBC ~55%/~45%, Steve Smith, Tight End, Wide Receiver, Wide Receiver

2006 - Pass/Rush ~65%/~35%, RBBC ~65%/~35%, Steve Smith, Keyshawn Johnson, Running Back, Running Back

2005 - Pass/Rush ~65%/~35%, RBBC ~55%/~35%/~10%, Steve Smith, Running Back, Wide Receiver, Wide Receiver

FACTS:

1. He definitely favors passing to running. The only year without more passing was the odd Tebow/Orton year.

2. He definitely believes in RBBC, and never has a RB get 75% of the yards like Forte did last year.

3. He appears to be more in favor of the traditional split end/slot combination. One possession guy, and one big play guy.

OPINIONS:

1. Cutler was sacked a lot last year. Maybe not as bad as before, and certainly not as bad as JAX last year, but bottom half of the league. I think this means OL gets attention (hence the OG pick up and the look at FA Centers) since the decision was made to stick with Cutler.

2. I think this means we can expect Forte to get less carries and Carey to see an increase.

3. I think this pretty clearly looks like, aside from extra locker room issues, a justification for letting Marshall go. And it's also probably why Eddie Royal got signed.

DRAFT REPERCUSSIONS:

1. I wouldn't be surprised to see a tackle and/or center taken in the first four rounds. Imagine my joy at that scenario.

2. We probably won't be adding a RB with Forte, Carey, and Perry on the roster.

3. Depth at WR isn't great, even if he has his main pieces. I could see a mid round WR picked.

MOCK DRAFT:

The pick between Fowler, Gregory, Ray, and Beasley DE/OLB looks likely, but I'm going with the theory above that the D is an unknown.

1. Brandon Scherff, OL, Iowa - Immediate starter, massive upgrade. Sets up Long's move outside, or replaces Mills straight up at RT.

2. BCBA - Honestly, there appears to be a lot of stud CB talent this year, and waiting until the third is risky. Grab the guy you like here.

3. Hronis Grassu, C, Oregon - Stud. Sits for one year, starts the next...if not sooner.

4. Hau'Oli Kikaha, DE/OLB, Washington - The fact that everyone expects someone like this for the Bears at some point in the 2015 draft makes it seem a bit inevitable.

5. Derron Smith, FS, Fresno State or Kurtis Drummond, S, Michigan State - Both ballhawks at FS.

6. BQBA prospect - Sean Mannion, Oregon State perhaps?

7. Terry Williams, NT, East Carolina - 6'1", 353lbs, has his own zip code. I'm not sure why this guy is rated so low. He is a sleeper.

I could live with that over the drafttek mock that was posted, but I still think ya gotta go with a defensive player in the 1R.

The only thing I have a problem with is IF they really think of Houston as an OLB, then another lineman early is a must. I could live with Houston-Ratliff-Ego, but when we start talking about Sutton and especially Allen as starters on the line, that's where I get a bit iffy.....Of course Houstons position is all apart of the unknown, but ya.

I could live with that over the drafttek mock that was posted, but I still think ya gotta go with a defensive player in the 1R. The only thing I have a problem with is IF they really think of Houston as an OLB, then another lineman early is a must. I could live with Houston-Ratliff-Ego, but when we start talking about Sutton and especially Allen as starters on the line, that's where I get a bit iffy.....Of course Houstons position is all apart of the unknown, but ya.

I think we will see some bizarre alignments with McPhee and Houston. Imagine they will play both DE and OLB at anytime. One will move up and drop his hand in the dirt and the other play LB.

I could live with that over the drafttek mock that was posted, but I still think ya gotta go with a defensive player in the 1R.

The only thing I have a problem with is IF they really think of Houston as an OLB, then another lineman early is a must. I could live with Houston-Ratliff-Ego, but when we start talking about Sutton and especially Allen as starters on the line, that's where I get a bit iffy.....Of course Houstons position is all apart of the unknown, but ya.

No matter where he plays we need more DEs in the 3-4 scheme on the team, from Foxes mouth he thinks Ratliff and Fergeson can play NT. So I think we draft players like Davis and Harry Anderson that can fit in at either spot.

The scheme(defense) change is the biggest variable that we fans are dealing with in terms with trying to project what this new regime will do.Trading Marshall and letting Briggs go as well as Conte and then bringing in veterans like Rolle and Royal doesn't point to total rebuild. So the direction of the draft looks like plug and play.

Did we not trade our 7th with Marshall?

Last year the offense was below average and the defense was horrible. Going into the draft it seems that anything right now is possible. I'm seeing DB, WR, DE, LB, S, everything possible.

Since they're switching to a 3-4, it's difficult to know what any of the guys on the roster can/will do.

-The number of potential OLB/ILB combos is borderline obscene.

-I happen to think the front three will be figured out between Houston, Ferguson, Ratliff, Sutton, and Allen, especially since Ratliff has been specifically mentioned as being important in plans.

-Still need plenty of defensive backfield help.

With all that said, here's what Fox has done the last ten years on offense, and what he did while with Gase:

2014 - Pass/Rush ~70%/~30%, RBBC ~65%/~35%, Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, Wes Welker, Tight End

2013 - Pass/Rush ~75%/~25%, RBBC ~65%/~35%, Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Wes Welker, Tight End

Fox "without" Gase:

2012 - Pass/Rush ~75%/~25%, RBBC ~45%/~30%/~20%, Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Tight End, Brandon Stokely

2011 - Pass/Rush ~45%/~55%, RBBC ~50%/~25%/~15%, Eric Decker, Demaryius Thomas, Tight End, Brandon Lloyd

Fox without Gase (CAR):

2010 - Pass/Rush ~55%/~45%, RBBC ~50%/~30%/~20%, Steve Smith, Running Back, Brandon Lafell, David Gettis

2009 - Pass/Rush ~55%/~45%, RBBC ~50%/~50%, Steve Smith, Muhsin Muhammed, Running Back, Tight End

2008 - Pass/Rush ~55%/~45%, RBBC ~65%/~35%, Steve Smith, Muhsin Muhammed, Running Back, Tight End

2007 - Pass/Rush ~60%/~40%, RBBC ~55%/~45%, Steve Smith, Tight End, Wide Receiver, Wide Receiver

2006 - Pass/Rush ~65%/~35%, RBBC ~65%/~35%, Steve Smith, Keyshawn Johnson, Running Back, Running Back

2005 - Pass/Rush ~65%/~35%, RBBC ~55%/~35%/~10%, Steve Smith, Running Back, Wide Receiver, Wide Receiver

FACTS:

1. He definitely favors passing to running. The only year without more passing was the odd Tebow/Orton year.

2. He definitely believes in RBBC, and never has a RB get 75% of the yards like Forte did last year.

3. He appears to be more in favor of the traditional split end/slot combination. One possession guy, and one big play guy.

OPINIONS:

1. Cutler was sacked a lot last year. Maybe not as bad as before, and certainly not as bad as JAX last year, but bottom half of the league. I think this means OL gets attention (hence the OG pick up and the look at FA Centers) since the decision was made to stick with Cutler.

2. I think this means we can expect Forte to get less carries and Carey to see an increase.

3. I think this pretty clearly looks like, aside from extra locker room issues, a justification for letting Marshall go. And it's also probably why Eddie Royal got signed.

DRAFT REPERCUSSIONS:

1. I wouldn't be surprised to see a tackle and/or center taken in the first four rounds. Imagine my joy at that scenario.

2. We probably won't be adding a RB with Forte, Carey, and Perry on the roster.

3. Depth at WR isn't great, even if he has his main pieces. I could see a mid round WR picked.

MOCK DRAFT:

The pick between Fowler, Gregory, Ray, and Beasley DE/OLB looks likely, but I'm going with the theory above that the D is an unknown.

1. Brandon Scherff, OL, Iowa - Immediate starter, massive upgrade. Sets up Long's move outside, or replaces Mills straight up at RT.

2. BCBA - Honestly, there appears to be a lot of stud CB talent this year, and waiting until the third is risky. Grab the guy you like here.

3. Hronis Grassu, C, Oregon - Stud. Sits for one year, starts the next...if not sooner.

4. Hau'Oli Kikaha, DE/OLB, Washington - The fact that everyone expects someone like this for the Bears at some point in the 2015 draft makes it seem a bit inevitable.

5. Derron Smith, FS, Fresno State or Kurtis Drummond, S, Michigan State - Both ballhawks at FS.

6. BQBA prospect - Sean Mannion, Oregon State perhaps?

7. Terry Williams, NT, East Carolina - 6'1", 353lbs, has his own zip code. I'm not sure why this guy is rated so low. He is a sleeper.

I can't see how a T at #7 helps this team one bit. The defense is horrid and lacks talent on all 3 levels..

Seriously? Scherff is projected at a RT or a G, and he'd help immensely. If he lined up at RT, which is where I'd hope, you could pretty much guarantee 4+ YPC running on the right side behind him and Long. Dude is a monster, much like Long. Almost always described as a road grader. Putting those two together would be a nasty combination, and it would force defenses to overload that side on pretty much all rushing downs. Additionally, that would greatly improve the play-action game, something pretty much every Bears fan wants to see more of.

I agree the defense stunk the last two years, but I just don't know how the team with new coaches and and a new scheme can adequately evaluate players without having seen them play that scheme. By the way, if the offense were much better at running the ball, it would improve time of possession, and keep that horrid defense off the field more.

Guest TerraTor
Seriously? Scherff is projected at a RT or a G, and he'd help immensely. If he lined up at RT, which is where I'd hope, you could pretty much guarantee 4+ YPC running on the right side behind him and Long. Dude is a monster, much like Long. Almost always described as a road grader. Putting those two together would be a nasty combination, and it would force defenses to overload that side on pretty much all rushing downs. Additionally, that would greatly improve the play-action game, something pretty much every Bears fan wants to see more of.

I agree the defense stunk the last two years, but I just don't know how the team with new coaches and and a new scheme can adequately evaluate players without having seen them play that scheme. By the way, if the offense were much better at running the ball, it would improve time of possession, and keep that horrid defense off the field more.

ART in top10? No way

I'm not a fan of Scherff in the top 10. I do think our draft may be balanced between offense and defense but something we all should be considering is Kyle Long moving to LT. That puts Bushrod at RT where he should be more effective and leaves a big hole inside.

I'm not a fan of Scherff in the top 10. I do think our draft may be balanced between offense and defense but something we all should be considering is Kyle Long moving to LT. That puts Bushrod at RT where he should be more effective and leaves a big hole inside.

I think we've all considered it, I'm just not so sure it happens. I think they'll try him there, but if he's not looking like a pro bowl caliber LT, I'd move him back inside.

What position can make all the other positions better on Offense? My answer is Oline.

Can it be said for Defense? I think so.

Pace has to try to rebuild this depleted roster while trying to win asap. The NFL waits for no one nowadays.

Long Term success is what Pace is looking for, building the Oline and Dline would be smart.

Will he draft an OLineman or Dlineman with the 7th pick, who knows.

I personally would like to see the 7th pick be the BPA no matter what position they play. Then 2nd - 7th be BPA with concerns to need playing a factor.

If Pace thinks Cooper is the next great WR and he is there at 7, I would not be mad. I know there are a ton of holes but the Bears need some GAME CHANGERS no matter what the position is.