Nightmare draft

jason

It's almost that time of year again, and like ever year, I ask what your nightmare draft would be.

1. Mariotta, QB, Oregon - I would hate a QB in the 1st. Additionally, I don't think he's going to pan out. I think he'll be average at best. This would destroy the locker room.

2. Gurley, RB, UGA - Injury prone RB to serve as a backup, and may not even beat out Carey for #2. I'd hate this because it would mean the current staff are moving from Forte.

3. Jaquiski Tartt, S, Samford - Saw him up close and personal. Never really stood out. Small school DB...smells like a Lovie pick.

4. Senquez Golson, CB, Miss - He's listed at 5'9", but I'm pretty sure he was on an episode of "Little People, Big World."

5. Jesse James, TE, Penn St. - A-I hate a TE pick in this draft, B-This guy is a classic workout warrior who doesn't produce as much on the field, C-Cool name

6. Nick Marshall, "CB", Auburn - A QB transitioning to CB. Loathe position moves. Might as well throw this pick in the trash.

I'd be pulling out hair if that's how the draft went.

I'll try to make it somewhat realistic:

1) Landon Collins, S, Alabama - Not worth the pick in a down year for safeties and I don't think he's anything special.

2) Brett Hundley, QB, UCLA - Looks like Josh Freeman to me without the early success. Has no feel for the pocket.

3) Devin Funchess, WR, Michigan - Don't but him as a WR and I don't think we need another TE this early.

4) Ellis McCarthy, DT, UCLA - Big guy, but inconsistent effort, bad stats, and a history of knee injuries.

5) Trent Brown, OT, Florida - Raw blocker who won't help any time soon.

6) Cody Riggs, CB, Notre Dame - Small and thin CB prospect and we need help at the position sooner.

I'll try to make it somewhat realistic:

1) Landon Collins, S, Alabama - Not worth the pick in a down year for safeties and I don't think he's anything special.

2) Brett Hundley, QB, UCLA - Looks like Josh Freeman to me without the early success. Has no feel for the pocket.

3) Devin Funchess, WR, Michigan - Don't but him as a WR and I don't think we need another TE this early.

4) Ellis McCarthy, DT, UCLA - Big guy, but inconsistent effort, bad stats, and a history of knee injuries.

5) Trent Brown, OT, Florida - Raw blocker who won't help any time soon.

6) Cody Riggs, CB, Notre Dame - Small and thin CB prospect and we need help at the position sooner.

That's why this site is so fun some times. Such diverse opinion.

I'd love Collins at 1, wouldn't mind Hundley at 2, and am interested by Funchess at 3.

Anything that involves the Bears drafting Winston is a nightmare waiting to happen.

And personally wouldn't be happy with either Shelton or an OLman in the 1st.

Shelton or Oline wouldn't be a Nightmare. I am leaning towards one of the OLB. I don't think we are set at the position and its noted as being a very important position in Fangio's D.

Vic Beasley would be great.

Im more excited about this draft than years past due to Pace and the switch to 3-4.

Emery's drafts never wowed me. Each draft the 1st round picks I had to google each guy.

1. SMC - didn't like it

2. Long- was like who the freak? Then read about him and thought OK

3. Fuller- knew of him but didn't like it until I read that some people thought he was the best CB in the draft.

Granted Emery never had a number 7 pick. I hope Pace WOW's us!

Do you not want Shelton at all, or just not at #7?

I wouldn't say absolutely no to Shelton, but not the first pick.

I'm more of the opinion that 1st round picks should be used on skill players (QB - except Wintson, RB, CB, Safety, WR). Although I would be good with a few of the prospective OLB/DE candidates. Beasley and Gregory are definite standouts this year.

I wouldn't say absolutely no to Shelton, but not the first pick.

I'm more of the opinion that 1st round picks should be used on skill players (QB - except Wintson, RB, CB, Safety, WR). Although I would be good with a few of the prospective OLB/DE candidates. Beasley and Gregory are definite standouts this year.

The only nitemare would be one of the two QBs at 7, otherwise you can make a case for any of the top 10 rated players at our spot. WR,OL,OLB,NT all can fill a need. My take is who are the special players that make the most difference on a team.

The only nitemare would be one of the two QBs at 7, otherwise you can make a case for any of the top 10 rated players at our spot. WR,OL,OLB,NT all can fill a need. My take is who are the special players that make the most difference on a team.

You know, I'd actually agree with this too. Funny thing though is that it doesn't have to be a first rounder that does it. Looking back at recent history one of those players was Devin Hester. He literally changed a couple games on his own (Giants, Arizona and St Louis in '06 to name a few) and he was drafted not only in the second round but as a CB. More recently a player that comes to mind, who "makes a difference", would be Forte who was drafted also in the second round.

Of course if you count negative 'difference makers' you could consider Cutler who was drafted in the first round. :lol:

Here is a list of Pro Bowlers drafted in the 1st round, by position (last 10 years):

1st Round Pro Bowlers (109 total):

Offense: 59

Defense: 50

LB - 15

OT - 12

WR - 12

CB - 12

RB - 10

DE - 9

QB - 8

DT - 7

OG - 7

S - 7

OC - 5

TE - 5

After seeing his pro day, I am down on Ray, I don't want him and think he would be a bad first pick. The 2 QBs would also be bad picks with so many other needs on the team.

I would be ok with Beasley, Fowler, Williams, Gregory, Shelton, Cooper, White, and Scherff at #7 (if we couldn't trade down and still get one of them at 12 or 13).

After that, I couldn't tell you about specific names that I don't want. For the players you guys listed, I agree that drafting an injured RB, when you have one of the best RBs in the league (and a rookie that still hasn't really been used on the roster), is a wasted pick. Now about Marshall in the 6th, I wouldn't mind him in other years, but I just don't think we are in a position to draft a "project" player right now. We need pro ready talent that can come in Day 1 and contribute and upgrade the roster. So any pick that is not going to be an upgrade somewhere is a "nightmare" pick for me.

Here is a list of Pro Bowlers drafted in the 1st round, by position (last 10 years):

1st Round Pro Bowlers (109 total):

Offense: 59

Defense: 50

LB - 15

OT - 12

WR - 12

CB - 12

RB - 10

DE - 9

QB - 8

DT - 7

OG - 7

S - 7

OC - 5

TE - 5

Out of curiosity, how many of these guys made it to the Pro Bowl with their original team vs their second or third team? And of this list how many ended up being alternate PB picks? This being important because now that the Pro Bowl is played in between the Super Bowl many 1st selections are bowing out, especially if their team is in the Super Bowl. Or because they are injured. I mean when you have someone like Andy Dalton playing in the Pro Bowl you have to ask.

Out of curiosity, how many of these guys made it to the Pro Bowl with their original team vs their second or third team? And of this list how many ended up being alternate PB picks? This being important because now that the Pro Bowl is played in between the Super Bowl many 1st selections are bowing out, especially if their team is in the Super Bowl. Or because they are injured. I mean when you have someone like Andy Dalton playing in the Pro Bowl you have to ask.

I couldn't find a primary or alternate list, just Pro Bowl or not. Sure there will be a few exceptions (mainly QB), but for the most part it is accurate. With this being Pace's first draft, he is going to pick the safest BPA on the board at #7 (or trade down).

If I can find the number of first rounders drafted by position, then I can see what percentage of each have become Pro Bowlers. So even though Safety is low, they could be 5/5 when picking them in the first.

I am one of the few that see RB as a bigger need than most. Forte is on his farewell tour, 16 games and counting. He puts up numbers, but by league analysts , they've been unspectacular. He is one of my favorites and I know good things end. Carey has promise and with him and Forte we should be fine in 2015. Come 2016, do you feel the same with Carey taking the roll? We will need another horse, this team has tried buying several Barber, Bush, Taylor, even Kevin Jones. When you have an opportunity to take a highly regarded prospect, like a once in 5-10 year prospect, I don't think you pass. The guy could bust or be the next Peterson? But if it comes from a gained pick from a trade down, it is easier to make.

I am one of the few that see RB as a bigger need than most. Forte is on his farewell tour, 16 games and counting. He puts up numbers, but by league analysts , they've been unspectacular. He is one of my favorites and I know good things end. Carey has promise and with him and Forte we should be fine in 2015. Come 2016, do you feel the same with Carey taking the roll? We will need another horse, this team has tried buying several Barber, Bush, Taylor, even Kevin Jones. When you have an opportunity to take a highly regarded prospect, like a once in 5-10 year prospect, I don't think you pass. The guy could bust or be the next Peterson? But if it comes from a gained pick from a trade down, it is easier to make.

I just don't think Gurley or Gordon will be there when we pick at 39. If we traded with CLE (12/19) or NO (13/31), the only pick I would entertain picking Gurley would be 31 (but with all the other holes and Forte/Carey on the roster, would that be the most efficient pick?).

I'm shocked how many people wanna take an offense player in the first round. Passing up on a first round defensive talent would be a huge mistake IMO.

I wouldn't want an offensive player at #7. My suggestion is if we trade down with the Saints, our #7 and #39 for #13,#31, #75, and their 2016 3rd Rd pick, I would take Shelton with #13 and Gurley at #31. With two high 3rd rd picks grab a CB and S. I'd take Lockett WR with the 4th. If Armstead is there at #31 I would take him over Gurley. I know you think a hurt RB is a waste, but it could be a huge addition to have when Forte departs. A quality RB will be taken this year or next, regardless of having Carey.

I wouldn't want an offensive player at #7. My suggestion is if we trade down with the Saints, our #7 and #39 for #13,#31, #75, and their 2016 3rd Rd pick, I would take Shelton with #13 and Gurley at #31. With two high 3rd rd picks grab a CB and S. I'd take Lockett WR with the 4th. If Armstead is there at #31 I would take him over Gurley. I know you think a hurt RB is a waste, but it could be a huge addition to have when Forte departs. A quality RB will be taken this year or next, regardless of having Carey.

I wanna see Carey take on a bigger role this year to see what we have in him before taking a RB high. I'd rather build the OL up which would make guys like Carey and the passing game look a whole helluva lot better. I'm not big on taking a RB in the 1R no matter what the situation is really.

Here's a fun stat....There were 6 RBs who got drafted in the 6th round or later who ranked in the top 18 in rushing. That's twice as many as there was 1st rounders (3).

The top 7 RBs in YPC were drafted as follows....

1. Justin Forsett- Undrafted

2. Lamarr Miller- 4R

3. Jeremy Hill- 2R

4. Jamal Charles- 3R

5. Arian Foster- Undrafted

6. Jerrick McKinnon- 3R

7. CJ Anderson- Undrafted

Presumably I'm going to guess that you're considering Gurley. One thing to think about is that Peterson had his share of injury history when he played for Oklahoma. Hasn't had much issue since.