Bears sign CB Alan Ball

dawhizz

Meh...reminds me of another DJ Williams like signing. Good thing about it was that it was for a one-year deal.

If you look at the comments on this and the article itself he really hasn't had much in the way of superb production. Either due to being a mediocre player or being injured. I see this as more a "camp body" as one of the commenters pointed out.

Meh...reminds me of another DJ Williams like signing. Good thing about it was that it was for a one-year deal.

If you look at the comments on this and the article itself he really hasn't had much in the way of superb production. Either due to being a mediocre player or being injured. I see this as more a "camp body" as one of the commenters pointed out.

He is just an average player, he was ranked 40th best CB last year. which means is a starter in the NFL. He may be ok, or under Fangio become better. Not sure we should look at one year signings as game changers. Just a player who will be the 3rd CB on team depending on the draft.

29 years old and has started in the past. Fits the Fangio CB type - 6'2".

He's competition for one of the roster spots but your point is likely the most key. I don't know this guy at all but it points toward moving away from the Lovie-style of smaller quicker DBs who sit back in zone coverage and more press coverage at the LOS.

He's competition for one of the roster spots but your point is likely the most key. I don't know this guy at all but it points toward moving away from the Lovie-style of smaller quicker DBs who sit back in zone coverage and more press coverage at the LOS.

Now that its a moot point (since he signed with NO) this would be one of the many reasons I thought Brandon Browner would be perfect.

He had 10 PD in only 8 games in 2013 and 23 when he played 16 games in 2011. And he's 6'4".

Now that its a moot point (since he signed with NO) this would be one of the many reasons I thought Brandon Browner would be perfect.

He had 10 PD in only 8 games in 2013 and 23 when he played 16 games in 2011. And he's 6'4".

You bring up someone that was signed by someone else, exactly why are you wasting your breath on someone we cant sign. you make no sense sometimes.

You bring up someone that was signed by someone else, exactly why are you wasting your breath on someone we cant sign. you make no sense sometimes.

Making a comparative analysis on a player that IMHO was a tick or two better than this guy Ball. Wondering aloud if we signed Ball why wouldn't we have tried for Browner?

I apologize if my "checkers" analogies don't measure up to your "chess" level.

PS: i should mention no more breath was wasted had I TYPED nothing at all.

Making a comparative analysis on a player that IMHO was a tick or two better than this guy Ball. Wondering aloud if we signed Ball why wouldn't we have tried for Browner?

We could not afford Browner and Ball is more of a depth signing for competition and a ST contributor.

My boss is a huge Seattle fan and he questions how well Browner will play against teams #1 WR's. That makes sense to me, as he had the LOB and Sherman, then Revis Island. Now he is the man.

BTW, Ball is the 9th free agent signed. I expect 2-3 more before the draft and possibly a few others in the summer after June 1st cuts. With draft picks, we could potentially see 1/3 of the 53 man roster turned over in one offseason.

We could not afford Browner and Ball is more of a depth signing for competition and a ST contributor.

Which makes me ask, why didn't we keep McManis? He proved himself pretty well during his time in Chicago? And he's younger.....

BTW, Ball is the 9th free agent signed. I expect 2-3 more before the draft and possibly a few others in the summer after June 1st cuts. With draft picks, we could potentially see 1/3 of the 53 man roster turned over in one offseason.

Right, that was pretty much my initial point about this signing.

PS: i should mention no more breath was wasted had I TYPED nothing at all.

Browner is better but got a 3 year 15 mil contract. I dont think we were in on anymore money contracts. One year 840 th is why we signed Ball.

Since everyone just loves PFF, I'll throw out there that he ranked in the top 19 among corners in 2013. 2014 wasn't that good but between Fox and Donatel the Bears have 2 of the best guys when it comes to the secondary, so him getting back to that top 20 status I don't think is much of a stretch.

That said I'm not sure you can trust him getting back to that level, so I'd still shoot for a CB in the 2-4 round.

Since everyone just loves PFF, I'll throw out there that he ranked in the top 19 among corners in 2013. 2014 wasn't that good but between Fox and Donatel the Bears have 2 of the best guys when it comes to the secondary, so him getting back to that top 20 status I don't think is much of a stretch.

That said I'm not sure you can trust him getting back to that level, so I'd still shoot for a CB in the 2-4 round.

I think we still draft one, Ball is just in the mix, not the final solution.

Ball got 3M. Interesting, that's starter money. The must really like him. Like I said he was pretty good in 2013. With that in mind, I'd be somewhat OK waiting a bit on a CB. Fox and Donatel know the secondary better than most so I'll trust them on this.

That tells you they think he is a starter, if no money guaranteed, you could give him 10 mil and still cut him.

That tells you they think he is a starter, if no money guaranteed, you could give him 10 mil and still cut him.

I just read that he got $3mil. That is definitely starter money, makes it very clear we're going to more press coverage, and means they view Jennings as our slot CB. As SCS said, kick CB down a notch in the draft priorities but it's still on the list.