Sam Acho newest Bear

Alaskan Grizzly

I completely disagree. Just because we sign a bunch of bad LBer's doesn't mean there is less of a need. The only sure LB we have on the roster that is even guaranteed a spot for next year is McPhee. And he's considered a good but not great LB. Yes I'd be surprised if we cut Willie Young, Bostic, or Jared Allen, but I think all 3 are a possibility.

We still have a need with the front 3. If we go LB in round #1, IMO we move Houston to DE.

Pace wants to build through the draft. That means it's not just about this year, but the future. Fox stated the most important thing for a defense is to get to the QB. Despite all of our additions, we still don't have that. If a LB is available that we feel will be able to get to the QB consistently. why would we hesitate.

On a side note, we appear to be going towards a run first offense which means we need a good defense. Our defense is horrible and we haven't tried to run the ball for two years. Despite it possibly being best player available, can someone explain to me why we would draft a WR at #7?

Good question. Which is why I still have an inkling of hope that it's Scherff. I think I'd still rather have Collins, but Scherff would make me happy.

Bushrod - Slausson - Montgomery - Scherff - Long

Great running on the right side.

First of all, I don't quite understand why a run-first offense means we need a good defense. We need a good defense regardless. And most of us are hoping that the additions, plus the coaching and scheme changes, will make that happen. It almost has to.

Well, if we are talking about using the #7 pick, there's no safety or CB worth that pick. DL is a possibility at #7 (and if Williams is sitting there, I think it's a no-brainer), but the only DT potentially worth the #7 pick is Shelton, though, as has been discussed in other threads, Fangio hasn't tended to use the huge DT in his scheme. I do still think it's a possibility though, and if we went for a defensive player at #7, he might be my preference.

Which leaves 3-4 OLB. The Bears big off season acquisition was an OLB (McPhee) and the money they are paying him suggests he'll be on the field most of the time and he's here long term. Although admittedly he can move around a bit, he'll play the vast majority of his snaps at OLB and was brought into be that big time pass-rusher. That leaves one other OLB spot. Drafting on OLB at #7 suggests to me you have no confidence in any of the other guys on this roster. I personally am a believer in Christian Jones. I'm not ready to give up on the potential of Young and Houston in the 3-4 and I think Acho can contribute. Even David Bass might be a good fit there. So you have candidates in-house, some new some old, that can play there.

Contrast that with WR. We have Jeffery, a guaranteed starter on the outside. Then we have Royal, who is best in the slot. Right now Marques Wilson is the other starter outside, and he is a former 7th round pick who was a big fat disappointment last year. And we have zero depth beyond that. Like, no one. Teams usually keep at least 5 WRs on their roster. After our top three, we have one that has ever caught an NFL pass (Marc Mariani - 5 career catches).

So to me, it's not just about BPA. It's what's the biggest upgrade we can make that is worthy of the selection? And personally I think the upgrade from Wilson to Cooper or White is a bigger upgrade than from Jones/Houston/Young/etc. to Beasley/Ray/Gregory.

Then again, maybe I'm just being blinded by the impact that the rookie WRs made last year.

That's a very solid, well reasoned breakdown of how WR makes sense.

Of course we need a good defense, but being run-first makes it more of a necessity. Green Bay's defense is mediocre every year but they can win a shoot-out.

As for all the guys we have, my guess is that we don't have confidence in any of them.

I think we draft a WR early, just not in the first round.

First of all, I don't quite understand why a run-first offense means we need a good defense. We need a good defense regardless. And most of us are hoping that the additions, plus the coaching and scheme changes, will make that happen. It almost has to.

Well, if we are talking about using the #7 pick, there's no safety or CB worth that pick. DL is a possibility at #7 (and if Williams is sitting there, I think it's a no-brainer), but the only DT potentially worth the #7 pick is Shelton, though, as has been discussed in other threads, Fangio hasn't tended to use the huge DT in his scheme. I do still think it's a possibility though, and if we went for a defensive player at #7, he might be my preference.

Which leaves 3-4 OLB. The Bears big off season acquisition was an OLB (McPhee) and the money they are paying him suggests he'll be on the field most of the time and he's here long term. Although admittedly he can move around a bit, he'll play the vast majority of his snaps at OLB and was brought into be that big time pass-rusher. That leaves one other OLB spot. Drafting on OLB at #7 suggests to me you have no confidence in any of the other guys on this roster. I personally am a believer in Christian Jones. I'm not ready to give up on the potential of Young and Houston in the 3-4 and I think Acho can contribute. Even David Bass might be a good fit there. So you have candidates in-house, some new some old, that can play there.

Contrast that with WR. We have Jeffery, a guaranteed starter on the outside. Then we have Royal, who is best in the slot. Right now Marques Wilson is the other starter outside, and he is a former 7th round pick who was a big fat disappointment last year. And we have zero depth beyond that. Like, no one. Teams usually keep at least 5 WRs on their roster. After our top three, we have one that has ever caught an NFL pass (Marc Mariani - 5 career catches).

So to me, it's not just about BPA. It's what's the biggest upgrade we can make that is worthy of the selection? And personally I think the upgrade from Wilson to Cooper or White is a bigger upgrade than from Jones/Houston/Young/etc. to Beasley/Ray/Gregory.

Then again, maybe I'm just being blinded by the impact that the rookie WRs made last year.