Bears to sign C

Guest TerraTor

Love reading these quotes on rotoworld.....

"He has the upside to be a difference-maker in the run game"

"Montgomery has started the last 48 games for the Redskins and is a well above-average run blocker"

He sounds like he could be a good starter for a year or 2.

He started the last 8 games for Denver (they went 6-2), so he brings some experience in the offense we will be running, which is nice. I like the move, even though he is 32, he is still 4 years younger than Garza. To me this takes Center off the list of needs with a high pick. We can wait a year or two before addressing through the draft.

He started the last 8 games for Denver (they went 6-2), so he brings some experience in the offense we will be running, which is nice. I like the move, even though he is 32, he is still 4 years younger than Garza. To me this takes Center off the list of needs with a high pick. We can wait a year or two before addressing through the draft.

You're probably right, which is fine with me. The guy I like a lot this year is Hroniss Grasu, but he's more of a finesse player. I'd rather have a bull on the OL than a quick-footed guy. Put him next to a beast OG, then put Long at RT, and you pretty much can guarantee a first down every other play when running to the right side.

You're probably right, which is fine with me. The guy I like a lot this year is Hroniss Grasu, but he's more of a finesse player. I'd rather have a bull on the OL than a quick-footed guy. Put him next to a beast OG, then put Long at RT, and you pretty much can guarantee a first down every other play when running to the right side.

I think they have a plan and it is a 6th round pick or PFA and develop him over the next two years. TA-DA a starter for 10 years, just dont know his name yet.

I like Grasu as well, and my concern with him was with the offense he played in. I don't know how many line calls/adjustments he had to make in that offense. I also agree that we probably will need more of a road-grader type Center.

Montgomery graded out decent with PFF and would've probably been higher if he played more. Also, if anyone remembers, when he started was also around the time that Denver committed more to the run (and had great success).

Lots of info says Montgomery is a very good run blocker. Nothing at all says he is good at pass protection. Clearly a shift in mindset as the previous group prioritized the pass protection far more than the run blocking.

A few thoughts on that: Denver really shifted to a run first offense around the time he started playing (due to Manning's inability to throw the ball down field); Manning is not a very mobile QB, so pressure against him up the middle might be a little different than against Cutler who is at least more mobile.

A few thoughts on that: Denver really shifted to a run first offense around the time he started playing (due to Manning's inability to throw the ball down field); Manning is not a very mobile QB, so pressure against him up the middle might be a little different than against Cutler who is at least more mobile.

I think it's going with more of the smash-mouth mentality. One thing Garza was never any time good at was short yardage situations. How long has it been since we were able to convert a 3rd & 1 with any consistency? I'm thinking since Olin Kreutz left. Forte always took blame for that, but we'd bring in bigger running backs and still suck at short-yardage.

If they started him the final 7 games in Denver and then brought him here, they must be satisfied with him.

We've now added two o-lineman this offseason. While neither are that good, for both their strengths are their running blocking.

We've now added two o-lineman this offseason. While neither are that good, for both their strengths are their running blocking.

Actually, based on last season, Montgomery comes in as our 3rd best O-Linemen. Bushrod was bad, and Mills was horrible, and Montgomery is an upgrade over Garza.