With our first round pick the Bears will select...

CrackerDog

Evidence suggests we've improved all around at other positions of need. We could still use a safety but I'm not convinced one rated high enough will be there at #7. So I'm declaring for the WR position although I'm still open as to who that is. Further evidence is that one of our first moves was to cut Marshall loose. To me that suggests Pace has been planning this all along, playing chess knowing that the goal was WR at the end of the day.

Then again, we did add a WR already but he's more a slot guy. So I'm sticking with it, it's going to be WR.

Thoughts?

That's my conclusion as well, as I've stated in other threads (barring a trade of course). Biggest need is safety, but like you said, there's no safety worth the #7 pick, and this is a pretty awful S draft. Other supporting evidence includes the fact that Fangio DTs tend not to be huge NTs (which lessens the need for Shelton type) and the glut of potential LBs (which lessens the need for a pass-rushing OLB). Meanwhile, we have only three (and perhaps only two) NFL caliber WRs on the roster, one legit #1 (Jeffery), one guy who's best in the slot (Royal), and Wilson, who I'm still not convinced is very good and who we know the last regime loved, but have no idea how the new regime feels about him. If we don't want Jeffery double-covered all next season, we need another threat, and this is a draft with two great WRs at the top, at least one of whom figures to be BPA at #7 (barring something crazy like both White and Cooper going in the top 6). Is this a deep WR draft? Yep. But I still think that White and Cooper are clearly a round or two better than guys you could get in the 2nd/3rd like Devin Smith, Nelson Agholar, Sammie Coates, etc., whereas there are other positions (like CB, for instance) that I don't feel that way about. So I'm all in on White or Cooper and have no problem with either one.

The exciting part is if we do stay at #7, we are going to get a really good player. If they make a run on Edge Rushers, we get a top notch WR. If they make a run on WR, we get an Edge Rusher. QB is in play, so is DT and CB.

I'm still 50/50 on WR or Edge Rusher. We need both, and I don't care how many players we list at OLB not one of them is an elite speed rusher off the edge. I'm with Adam, just let the draft play out because we will get one of: White, Beasley, or Cooper.

I'm still 50/50 on WR or Edge Rusher. We need both, and I don't care how many players we list at OLB not one of them is an elite speed rusher off the edge. I'm with Adam, just let the draft play out because we will get one of: White, Beasley, or Cooper.

This is what I want as well. I don't think there is a corner worthy of 7, so I wouldn't go there. That OT from Iowa is 6 on Mel's big board. I wouldn't mind that either.

Evidence suggests we've improved all around at other positions of need. We could still use a safety but I'm not convinced one rated high enough will be there at #7. So I'm declaring for the WR position although I'm still open as to who that is. Further evidence is that one of our first moves was to cut Marshall loose. To me that suggests Pace has been planning this all along, playing chess knowing that the goal was WR at the end of the day.

Then again, we did add a WR already but he's more a slot guy. So I'm sticking with it, it's going to be WR.

Thoughts?

I don't think it's that clear cut.

The Bears lost Marshall, but they added Royal. Not the same player, but the Royal-Jeffery combo looks more like what Fox has had before.

As we get closer and closer to the draft, I think more and more that the Bears should select the safety Collins out of Alabama.

1. Rolle is older, will need a replacement sooner.

2. Some have mentioned Collins is a SS instead of FS, which would work just fine since the Bears need a SS too. People have made a big deal out of the Ole Miss game, but each time the flaw had less to do with ability and more to do with eye discipline. Collins was clearly peaking on the first one, and just got caught. On the second one he was switching WRs while trying to read the QB's eyes, and there was a great pass.

3. Collins would immediately come in and get tons of playing time, but a rookie WR might not see as much time behind Jeffery, Royal, and potentially Wilson. Aside from that the Bears still have the Unicorn and Forte to feed on offense, which means minimal rookie touches for a WR.

I don't think it's that clear cut.

The Bears lost Marshall, but they added Royal. Not the same player, but the Royal-Jeffery combo looks more like what Fox has had before.

As we get closer and closer to the draft, I think more and more that the Bears should select the safety Collins out of Alabama.

1. Rolle is older, will need a replacement sooner.

2. Some have mentioned Collins is a SS instead of FS, which would work just fine since the Bears need a SS too. People have made a big deal out of the Ole Miss game, but each time the flaw had less to do with ability and more to do with eye discipline. Collins was clearly peaking on the first one, and just got caught. On the second one he was switching WRs while trying to read the QB's eyes, and there was a great pass.

3. Collins would immediately come in and get tons of playing time, but a rookie WR might not see as much time behind Jeffery, Royal, and potentially Wilson. Aside from that the Bears still have the Unicorn and Forte to feed on offense, which means minimal rookie touches for a WR.

I dont think Collins is a special player of which you should be drafting that high. A good player, yes, on a team with few good defensive players. We have to draft like its our first year in existence and we have no roster yet. You take the best player available PERIOD

He will not be the best player on the board at pick 7.

I dont think Collins is a special player of which you should be drafting that high. A good player, yes, on a team with few good defensive players. We have to draft like its our first year in existence and we have no roster yet. You take the best player available PERIOD

I guess it's just a difference of opinion. I think he's a special player, and could solidify the defensive backfield for years.

I'm with you on this and with so many needs in the trenches I'd go there on either line before I took a safety. As badly as we need a safety I prefer having someone who can make the tackle at the LOS, or get the early pass rush pressure, so we don't need the safeties to make the play every down. If we get a great deal to drop back to 15-20 overall then he's on the list.

I guess it's just a difference of opinion. I think he's a special player, and could solidify the defensive backfield for years.

We will see where he gets drafted, that will tell us what the so called professions think. no way he will be top 10 and closer to 20.

Last year the first safety went at 18 then 3 others fallowed from 21 thru 30.The previous draft 2013 15,18 and 32. 2012 the first safety came off the board at 48. 2010 was the last time a safety was drafted in the top 10 and that was Eric Berry. 9 picks later Earl Thomas was selected and imo Landon Collins is not in the same category as those 2 were coming out. Notice that I have no reference from 2011 because that year no one drafted was listed as a safety. They were either a CB or DB. Clearly this position is going the same route as the RB. Teams are more inclined to use a 3rd CB instead of the traditional safety.

Last year the first safety went at 18 then 3 others fallowed from 21 thru 30.The previous draft 2013 15,18 and 32. 2012 the first safety came off the board at 48. 2010 was the last time a safety was drafted in the top 10 and that was Eric Berry. 9 picks later Earl Thomas was selected and imo Landon Collins is not in the same category as those 2 were coming out. Notice that I have no reference from 2011 because that year no one drafted was listed as a safety. They were either a CB or DB. Clearly this position is going the same route as the RB. Teams are more inclined to use a 3rd CB instead of the traditional safety.

Very good points Lemonej and I think the Bears need to add another CB or two in this draft and apparently I'm not the only one:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post...alistic-in-2015

#Bearsmailbag hey Michael, what are the chances of doubling up on cbs and taking trae waynes

@mikecwright: Good question because such a move would certainly make sense. Bears assistant director of college scouting Jeff Shiver was on hand recently for Trae Waynes' pro day at Michigan State, and the cornerback is expected by some to be the first defensive back off the board. So I think there's definitely a chance the Bears could go that direction because from this vantage point, the team needs at least one more corner. Right now, Tim Jennings and Kyle Fuller are the starters, and it doesn't appear the Bears plan to bring back Charles Tillman. So the Bears need to add another solid corner to the mix, and Waynes might fit the bill. Waynes is a fluid player, and in college he played a ton of man coverage, which should make him appealing to the Bears as they transition into what's expected to be a more aggressive scheme under new coordinator Vic Fangio.

Very good points Lemonej and I think the Bears need to add another CB or two in this draft and apparently I'm not the only one:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post...alistic-in-2015

#Bearsmailbag hey Michael, what are the chances of doubling up on cbs and taking trae waynes

@mikecwright: Good question because such a move would certainly make sense. Bears assistant director of college scouting Jeff Shiver was on hand recently for Trae Waynes' pro day at Michigan State, and the cornerback is expected by some to be the first defensive back off the board. So I think there's definitely a chance the Bears could go that direction because from this vantage point, the team needs at least one more corner. Right now, Tim Jennings and Kyle Fuller are the starters, and it doesn't appear the Bears plan to bring back Charles Tillman. So the Bears need to add another solid corner to the mix, and Waynes might fit the bill. Waynes is a fluid player, and in college he played a ton of man coverage, which should make him appealing to the Bears as they transition into what's expected to be a more aggressive scheme under new coordinator Vic Fangio.

I would be fine with Waynes but 3-5 spots later imo. I like Rowe who was a 4th rd prospect now hitting 2nd rounds on some mocks. Utah has little coverage, but if he was at MSU or another big school, I think he would be rd one talent also.

S

I would be fine with Waynes but 3-5 spots early imo. I like Rowe who was a 4th rd prospect now hitting 2nd rounds on some mocks. Utah has little coverave, but if he was at MSU, I think he would be rd one talent also.

S

The nice thing with Rowe, they project him to CB and can play safety.