Terra's Two-Weeks Out Mock

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

TRADE down to low teens

1. Landon Collins SS - Finally a safety capable of leading a defense after a decade of garbage

2. Shaq Thompson LB/S - I just live this dude

2. EDDIE Goldman NT - beast in the middle from a winning program

3. Stephane Anthony ILB - Gonna be a steal for some lucky team

4. Jeremiah Poutasi GC -

5. Tre McBride WR - Speed guy with overall quality skills

The rest who cares

TRADE down to low teens

1. Landon Collins SS - Finally a safety capable of leading a defense after a decade of garbage

2. Shaq Thompson LB/S - I just live this dude

2. EDDIE Goldman NT - beast in the middle from a winning program

3. Stephane Anthony ILB - Gonna be a steal for some lucky team

4. Jeremiah Poutasi GC -

5. Tre McBride WR - Speed guy with overall quality skills

The rest who cares

I like Shaq Thompson, he's a hell of a football player, but he's not a 3-4 LB so he'd have to be a SS for us. Drafting a SS in Collins followed by another SS in Thompson makes no sense.

I like Shaq Thompson, he's a hell of a football player, but he's not a 3-4 LB so he'd have to be a SS for us. Drafting a SS in Collins followed by another SS in Thompson makes no sense.

Why do you say that? I have a friend who is a huge UW fan, and he thinks Shaq could easily be an ILB. He's got a ton of athleticism. Always around the ball. Play-maker. How is he not fit to be an ILB?

I think Mason Foster is a starter and Jones/Bostic battle it out for the 2nd ILB spot so Im not a huge fan of grabbing 2 more ILBs in the draft....One I could see as perhaps they like Jones outside more and don't lie Bostic as much as I do.....Im aware that Foster is only on a one year deal as well but still, can't see them drafting 2.

Why do you say that? I have a friend who is a huge UW fan, and he thinks Shaq could easily be an ILB. He's got a ton of athleticism. Always around the ball. Play-maker. How is he not fit to be an ILB?

At 6' 228"s that is the size of safeties , not big enough, your friend drinks huskie cool aid.

At 6' 228"s that is the size of safeties , not big enough, your friend drinks huskie cool aid.

Height isn't an issue with Vic. Borland was 5'11", Bowman is 6', and Willis is 6'1".

They were all in the low 240s which is just a 12 pound difference. Much like people were talking about Gregory being able to put on the weight, 12 pounds isn't much at all.

At 6'-0" and just 228lbs I don't see him handling NFL linemen very well at all. I think that is valid at either ILB or OLB. Look at all the guys we have put at OLB, or FA (Houston, McPhee) we signed they are all bigger. On the inside we went with Mason Foster who is a bit taller and carries 240lbs.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players...1/shaq-thompson

WEAKNESSES: Looks more like a safety than a linebacker and for some clubs will project there - a position he hasn't played since high school. Possesses a slim waist and narrow hips, making it unlikely that he'll be able to pack on significantly more muscle mass onto his frame without losing his quickness. Can get swallowed up at the line of scrimmage and is forced to take risky angles, at times, to avoid blockers.

At 6'-0" and just 228lbs I don't see him handling NFL linemen very well at all. I think that is valid at either ILB or OLB. Look at all the guys we have put at OLB, or FA (Houston, McPhee) we signed they are all bigger. On the inside we went with Mason Foster who is a bit taller and carries 240lbs.

WEAKNESSES: Looks more like a safety than a linebacker and for some clubs will project there - a position he hasn't played since high school. Possesses a slim waist and narrow hips, making it unlikely that he'll be able to pack on significantly more muscle mass onto his frame without losing his quickness. Can get swallowed up at the line of scrimmage and is forced to take risky angles, at times, to avoid blockers.

How many starting LBs in the league are 228 lbs? I dont think to many, will look it up to see. Totally agree, with your opinion.

How many starting LBs in the league are 228 lbs? I dont think to many, will look it up to see. Totally agree, with your opinion.

CJ Mosley with the Ravens was pretty good last year wasn't he? Pro-bowl his rookie year? 6'2", 235lbs. BTW, Darryl Smith, the other starting ILB for the Ravens is the same weight. Other examples:

Lawrence Timmons, ILB, Steelers - 6'1" 234lbs

David Hawthore, ILB, Saints - 6'0" 230lbs

Curtis Lofton, ILB, Saints - 6'2" 238lbs

Navorro Bowman, ILB, 49ers - 6'1" 230lbs

Brad Jones, ILB, Packers - 6'3" 230lbs

London Fletcher, ILB, Skins - 5'10" 245lbs

Perry Riley, ILB, Skins - 6'1" 238lbs

So Shaq has to gain less than 10lbs and he's the same size as all the other guys. I went ahead and included London Fletcher since he's so short, ya know, to show that the height/weight combo isn't everything.

BTW - I didn't look at all teams. I just checked out the teams I could recall running a 3-4.

CJ Mosley with the Ravens was pretty good last year wasn't he? Pro-bowl his rookie year? 6'2", 235lbs. BTW, Darryl Smith, the other starting ILB for the Ravens is the same weight. Other examples:

Lawrence Timmons, ILB, Steelers - 6'1" 234lbs

David Hawthore, ILB, Saints - 6'0" 230lbs

Curtis Lofton, ILB, Saints - 6'2" 238lbs

Navorro Bowman, ILB, 49ers - 6'1" 230lbs

Brad Jones, ILB, Packers - 6'3" 230lbs

London Fletcher, ILB, Skins - 5'10" 245lbs

Perry Riley, ILB, Skins - 6'1" 238lbs

So Shaq has to gain less than 10lbs and he's the same size as all the other guys. I went ahead and included London Fletcher since he's so short, ya know, to show that the height/weight combo isn't everything.

BTW - I didn't look at all teams. I just checked out the teams I could recall running a 3-4.

You fixate on size but it's not the best way to gauge a player's abilities. Someone else compared him to Mike Singletary. Watch the guy play against Oregon State and tell me how many run blocks he gets off of to make a tackle?

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/shaq-thomp...gon-state-2014/

He's a good player but he's not that physical fighting to get off blocks. I see more SMC in him than I do Navorro Bowman or Mike Singletary. I'll stick by what I saw of him last season when I watched a few games. I think he's a better player in space than he will be as an ILB in the NFL. He'd be a bit of a project but I think he'll fair better as a SS. In any case I don't like him as our 2nd Rd pick. I much prefer a guy like OT Fisher or one of the DTs, or a CB, WR depending on which way we go in 1st Rd.

It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. One place I'd put him would be doing what Briggs did for us as a WLB. I think he might play that LB role well but we don't run that scheme anymore.

FWIW I think Randy Gregory will be one heck of an OLB at 235lbs. Then again he has long arms and is more violent shedding blocks than Shaq Thompson.

You fixate on size but it's not the best way to gauge a player's abilities. Someone else compared him to Mike Singletary. Watch the guy play against Oregon State and tell me how many run blocks he gets off of to make a tackle?

He's a good player but he's not that physical fighting to get off blocks. I see more SMC in him than I do Navorro Bowman or Mike Singletary. I'll stick by what I saw of him last season when I watched a few games. I think he's a better player in space than he will be as an ILB in the NFL. He'd be a bit of a project but I think he'll fair better as a SS. In any case I don't like him as our 2nd Rd pick. I much prefer a guy like OT Fisher or one of the DTs, or a CB, WR depending on which way we go in 1st Rd.

It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. One place I'd put him would be doing what Briggs did for us as a WLB. I think he might play that LB role well but we don't run that scheme anymore.

FWIW I think Randy Gregory will be one heck of an OLB at 235lbs. Then again he has long arms and is more violent shedding blocks than Shaq Thompson.

I was actually the one that drew comparisons to Singletary. Mostly due to the replicated size and that you were making the comparison to how 'small' he was which Stinger attempted to substantiate.

I was going to use Urlacher as a comparison but we all realize he was much bigger at 6'4" and 250ish. Oddly though he started as a Safety and beefed up through college. He was closer in weight coming out of HS. Anyhow the fact he was a safety and ended up as a LB is as intriguing as having someone as Thompson who could theoretically do the same in reverse. Where Urlacher was larger he was also quick. Thompson is quick and I'd agree that maybe he'd be better in space. Maybe instead as an OLB rather ILB? Would be have to rush the QB each play? No. In fact it would be better to have him there to cover the intermediate passing lanes. With his safety experience he'd be perfect for that. And by the way another cool fact about him is his versatility. He also played RB a few times for Washington last year.

I will agree with you that as time wears on I don't see him as a second rounder anymore. Wouldn't be surprised to see him still there in the 3rd. Which is where the Bears should take him if not sooner.

No, no. Don't misinterpret. Your post:

At 6'-0" and just 228lbs I don't see him handling NFL linemen very well at all.

Then Stinger followed up with:

I simply listed the number of players that were in similar positions at his size. I don't disagree with the assessment that someone his size has a harder time getting off blocks than someone with 10-15 more pounds of muscle. That's just common sense. I disagree with the notion that someone his size can't get off those blocks. The players I listed are testament to how a smaller LB can survive and thrive in the NFL.

I wouldn't mind seeing him drafted by the Bears as an ILB, and then we should have him gain that requisite 10lbs of muscle while teaching him how to better shed blocks. I think what he lacks more than size is knowledge and skill in shedding off blocks.

Guest TerraTor

I simply listed the number of players that were in similar positions at his size. I don't disagree with the assessment that someone his size has a harder time getting off blocks than someone with 10-15 more pounds of muscle. That's just common sense. I disagree with the notion that someone his size can't get off those blocks. The players I listed are testament to how a smaller LB can survive and thrive in the NFL.

I wouldn't mind seeing him drafted by the Bears as an ILB, and then we should have him gain that requisite 10lbs of muscle while teaching him how to better shed blocks. I think what he lacks more than size is knowledge and skill in shedding off blocks.

Shae McClellin was 270 and couldn't beat even the worst OL in the league... I mean really...

Shaq did 20 reps at 228lbs ( reported weightcombine ) ... Shae did 19 at 266lbs... that is plain pathetic

Shae McClellin was 270 and couldn't beat even the worst OL in the league... I mean really...

Shaq did 20 reps at 228lbs ( reported weightcombine ) ... Shae did 19 at 266lbs... that is plain pathetic

Jared Allen only did 13 and I'd say he was a pretty good player.

Guest TerraTor
Jared Allen only did 13 and I'd say he was a pretty good player.

True and Shae isn't ... Allen also had labrum issues at his combine if I recall... (researched it when we drafted that loser)

I was actually the one that drew comparisons to Singletary. Mostly due to the replicated size and that you were making the comparison to how 'small' he was which Stinger attempted to substantiate.

I was going to use Urlacher as a comparison but we all realize he was much bigger at 6'4" and 250ish. Oddly though he started as a Safety and beefed up through college. He was closer in weight coming out of HS. Anyhow the fact he was a safety and ended up as a LB is as intriguing as having someone as Thompson who could theoretically do the same in reverse. Where Urlacher was larger he was also quick. Thompson is quick and I'd agree that maybe he'd be better in space. Maybe instead as an OLB rather ILB? Would be have to rush the QB each play? No. In fact it would be better to have him there to cover the intermediate passing lanes. With his safety experience he'd be perfect for that. And by the way another cool fact about him is his versatility. He also played RB a few times for Washington last year.

I will agree with you that as time wears on I don't see him as a second rounder anymore. Wouldn't be surprised to see him still there in the 3rd. Which is where the Bears should take him if not sooner.

If you look at the size of LBs from 30 years ago, they were generally not as big, only you Grizz would make such a comparison.

You got me on that, I opened my fat mouth without checking the facts. I still dont think he plays well if a LB.

I wasn't solely fixated on his size. There are some smaller players who play big…Steve Smith does so as a WR. I merely listed that as the first statement and people ran off without reading anything else. I cited what I think is a credible scouting source showing he has issues with blockers. It fits what I've seen of him in college albeit in just a couple games, and what I see on that one game I linked to earlier.

Possesses a slim waist and narrow hips, making it unlikely that he'll be able to pack on significantly more muscle mass onto his frame without losing his quickness. Can get swallowed up at the line of scrimmage and is forced to take risky angles, at times, to avoid blockers. Wasn't often asked to rush the quarterback at Washington and shows limited technique in this capacity

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/sha...pson?id=2552447

WEAKNESSES Scouts question his natural NFL fit. Needs more mass on his frame. Played under listed weight at times. Aggressive, but lacks the play strength to back up his intentions near the line of scrimmage. Fails to consistently leverage his gap when forced inside box. Too easily redirected as blitzer. Gets blasted out of gaps by pulling guards. Must develop hands to keep linemen off of him and improve at slipping blocks. Not fully utilizing explosiveness. Fails to fire downhill and attack on the other side of the line.

--------------------------------

If we want to go with a quick twitch guy at ILB with our 2nd Rd pick I much prefer Eric Kendricks who, though he is small for the position, plays more like a LB. He has some of the same issues getting off blocks at times but he is more physical than Shaq Thompson in all aspects of the game.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/eric-kendr...-virginia-2014/

I wasn't solely fixated on his size. There are some smaller players who play big…Steve Smith does so as a WR. I merely listed that as the first statement and people ran off without reading anything else. I cited what I think is a credible scouting source showing he has issues with blockers. It fits what I've seen of him in college albeit in just a couple games, and what I see on that one game I linked to earlier.

Possesses a slim waist and narrow hips, making it unlikely that he'll be able to pack on significantly more muscle mass onto his frame without losing his quickness. Can get swallowed up at the line of scrimmage and is forced to take risky angles, at times, to avoid blockers. Wasn't often asked to rush the quarterback at Washington and shows limited technique in this capacity

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/sha...pson?id=2552447

WEAKNESSES Scouts question his natural NFL fit. Needs more mass on his frame. Played under listed weight at times. Aggressive, but lacks the play strength to back up his intentions near the line of scrimmage. Fails to consistently leverage his gap when forced inside box. Too easily redirected as blitzer. Gets blasted out of gaps by pulling guards. Must develop hands to keep linemen off of him and improve at slipping blocks. Not fully utilizing explosiveness. Fails to fire downhill and attack on the other side of the line.

--------------------------------

If we want to go with a quick twitch guy at ILB with our 2nd Rd pick I much prefer Eric Kendricks who, though he is small for the position, plays more like a LB. He has some of the same issues getting off blocks at times but he is more physical than Shaq Thompson in all aspects of the game.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/eric-kendr...-virginia-2014/

I agree with you and you have well thought out posts to support your opinion,.good job