Thought - If Mariota goes to Titans, trade for Mettenberger?

dawhizz

I keep hearing the rumblings about the Titans taking Mariota #2. If they do, I wonder what they would want for Mettenberger? I would prefer him to pretty much any QB left in the draft, and he's the kind of big, strong-armed, pocket passer I would think Fox/Gase would prefer (see Brock Osweiler). If we don't think Cutler is long for this team, I wonder if it would be worth trading a draft pick for Mettenberger as a Cutler contingency plan and QB of the future. He was a 6th rounder last year (5 spots in front of Fales), but you can't get him for that now. I guess this hinges on how the new regime feels about Fales, but it seems like something that would be worth a call to me if the Titans do go with Mariota.

I keep hearing the rumblings about the Titans taking Mariota #2. If they do, I wonder what they would want for Mettenberger? I would prefer him to pretty much any QB left in the draft, and he's the kind of big, strong-armed, pocket passer I would think Fox/Gase would prefer (see Brock Osweiler). If we don't think Cutler is long for this team, I wonder if it would be worth trading a draft pick for Mettenberger as a Cutler contingency plan and QB of the future. He was a 6th rounder last year (5 spots in front of Fales), but you can't get him for that now. I guess this hinges on how the new regime feels about Fales, but it seems like something that would be worth a call to me if the Titans do go with Mariota.

With Mettenberger as their QB, why wouldn't the Titans draft Mariota? I just don't see much upside in Mettenberger.

I for one buy into the staff being "Cutler fan boys", at least for this year anyway. I think we're having this discussion for nothing but if they really do want to trade for a qb Id love for it to be Mettenberger. I think hes gonna be a really good qb in this league. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the Titans passed on Marriota because they do indeed like Met, like they been saying for awhile now.

e9d3ee11fe2bf9340ecf011eda9f45ea.png

Hub said it best in his article today regarding this. His conclusion was the Bears are bidding up his price if he does some how drop to 7. They are sayin they want him and are taking him if he is there and if any other team wants him, they better be prepared to have a serious offer.

Doesn't that make sense? No team will take on Cutlers contract the way it is. The Bears will not be giving up future firsts for a project QB. The way it is going to fall is Cooper and White will go before our pick and Mariota will be there. The Bears will trade down.

Mettenberger looked horrible last season. I can't believe Whisenhunt views him as the long term answer. I'm certain Whisenhunt would love to get Rivers in a trade. Second option has to be Mariotta and way down the list is trading for Cutler. I think he likes Mariotta's potential but isn't really wanting to wait that long for him to develop. I don't see the trade for Cutler happening because if it were it would have been done by now.

I think the Bears have accepted Cutler as their best near-term option but are committed to moving away from him as the focal point and it's all about the run game now. Evidence: Two FA Oline signings who are good run blockers, not so good pass protectors. I expect more reinforcements to arrive soon including another RB. Signing Jacquizz Rodgers makes me think they don't like Carey. I don't see us going forward with 1 30 yr old RB, and 2 smaller RBs who haven't done much in the NFL. None of the three have breakaway speed.

IF we going to build thru the draft, no way were trading any draft picks.

Best case scenario is if Mariotta falls to us at 7 so we can trade out. We should not be trading any picks to go higher unless something absolutely ridiculous happens.

I would love for him to fall to us and then Cleveland gets stupid and gives up 12 and 19 to get him (but that would be crazy).

IF we going to build thru the draft, no way were trading any draft picks.

QB is NOT a BPA pick this year. Stick with Cutler and get the BPA at # 7, be it D or O. Just can't see Pace doing something stupid his first shot at this.

I would love for him to fall to us and then Cleveland gets stupid and gives up 12 and 19 to get him (but that would be crazy).

Exactly what I was trying to point out earlier. Pace is feeding nibblers making it look like the Bears are trying to get a Cutler for Mariota deal done with Tennessee. When Mariota falls to pick 7, which I think will happen teams will think we are getting the guy we wanted. If they inquire about a trade, they will know they have to go big.

With Mike Mayock calling Mariotta the best qb in the draft it can only enhance the possibilities if he falls to 7. Mariotta is going to be the most controversial pick in the first round IMO.

I personally would kick the tires on Mike Glennon at Tampa since Winston may be expected to play day 1.

Mettenberger looked horrible last season. I can't believe Whisenhunt views him as the long term answer. I'm certain Whisenhunt would love to get Rivers in a trade. Second option has to be Mariotta and way down the list is trading for Cutler. I think he likes Mariotta's potential but isn't really wanting to wait that long for him to develop. I don't see the trade for Cutler happening because if it were it would have been done by now.

I think the Bears have accepted Cutler as their best near-term option but are committed to moving away from him as the focal point and it's all about the run game now. Evidence: Two FA Oline signings who are good run blockers, not so good pass protectors. I expect more reinforcements to arrive soon including another RB. Signing Jacquizz Rodgers makes me think they don't like Carey. I don't see us going forward with 1 30 yr old RB, and 2 smaller RBs who haven't done much in the NFL. None of the three have breakaway speed.

I keep wondering how Mariotta is not the obvious pick for the Titans. They have no quarterback and no options for getting one. Even if Mariotta is not that good, he's got to be one helluva a lot better than Mettenberger.

And the Bears will eat some money and get a rookie who's not likely to be as good as Cutler for a couple of years.

I keep wondering how Mariotta is not the obvious pick for the Titans. They have no quarterback and no options for getting one. Even if Mariotta is not that good, he's got to be one helluva a lot better than Mettenberger.

And the Bears will eat some money and get a rookie who's not likely to be as good as Cutler for a couple of years.

I still think Mettenburger is a very good prospect. The Titans have other issues, and it makes more sense for them to go with Williams.

I think Metts has a lot of potential moreso than any of the other QBS in this years draft apart from the first two.

Greg Cosell said he'd take Metts over Winston and Marietta....That might be a bit much but I don't think the potential difference between Metts and Mariota is big enough to take Marietta.

I still think Mettenburger is a very good prospect. The Titans have other issues, and it makes more sense for them to go with Williams.

I actually think Tennessee is more likely to move down and get some extra picks (stay in top 10) and still get a stud and an extra pick or two.