All offense or all defense?

jason

I was thinking about the uncertainty of our draft, and wondered if you guys would rather see, if it happened, an all offense draft or all defense draft?

For instance:

1 - Amari Cooper, WR, Bama

2 - Jake Fisher, OT, Oregon

3 - Brett Hundley, QB, UCLA

4 - Reese Dismukes, C, Auburn

5 - Shaquille Mason, G, Georgia Tech

6 - Dominique Brown, RB, Louisville

OR

1 - Vic Beasley, DE/OLB, Clemson

2 - Shaq Thompson, ILB, Washington

3 - Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon

4 - Derron Smith, S, Fresno State

5 - Joey Mbu, NT, Houston

6 - Deshazor Everett, CB, Texas A&M

Try to make one semi-acceptable. It's tough.

At this moment, I would reluctantly choose defense, only because it was the worse unit last year and because we can fix the problems with our offense more easily with the existing FA pool than with defense. The defense-only draft above theoretically gives us a new starting S, OLB, and ILB, a rotational NT, and bodies at CB for now and the future. While that would leave holes on offense (mostly glaringly RT and WR), we could sign Crabtree/Jennings at WR and Joseph Barksdale at RT and still upgrade.

I was thinking about the uncertainty of our draft, and wondered if you guys would rather see, if it happened, an all offense draft or all defense draft?

For instance:

3 - Brett Hundley, QB, UCLA

4 - Reese Dismukes, C, Auburn

5 - Shaquille Mason, G, Georgia Tech

6 - Dominique Brown, RB, Louisville

OR

1 - Vic Beasley, DE/OLB, Clemson

2 - Shaq Thompson, ILB, Washington

Try to make one semi-acceptable. It's tough.

What happened with your love for Collins out of Alabama? I think there is something to be said for the history at the position (nod to Terra Tor) and he could be the long term solution there. Or don't your think he'll be available at 7? I really like the Thompson pick. I've been a huge fan of his since Bucky Brooks paired him to the Bears in his mock many months ago.

And I'll give you credit on your offensive side with choosing Cooper as your first pick. But I'm surprised you didn't mention Grasnu (spelling?) as either a third or fourth rounder? Although I'm not surprised you liked Fisher at #2.

What happened with your love for Collins out of Alabama? I think there is something to be said for the history at the position (nod to Terra Tor) and he could be the long term solution there. Or don't your think he'll be available at 7? I really like the Thompson pick. I've been a huge fan of his since Bucky Brooks paired him to the Bears in his mock many months ago.

And I'll give you credit on your offensive side with choosing Cooper as your first pick. But I'm surprised you didn't mention Grasnu (spelling?) as either a third or fourth rounder? Although I'm not surprised you liked Fisher at #2.

The lack of Collins and Grassu has more to do with the availability of other players in later rounds than anything. I felt like a FS is available in the mid-rounds, and the early pick could be used elsewhere. I honestly think Hronis Grassu will go late second, which didn't fit the mock I was doing. I tried to be realistic to an extent, despite the unrealistic concept.

The lack of Collins and Grassu has more to do with the availability of other players in later rounds than anything. I felt like a FS is available in the mid-rounds, and the early pick could be used elsewhere. I honestly think Hronis Grassu will go late second, which didn't fit the mock I was doing. I tried to be realistic to an extent, despite the unrealistic concept.

The more I look at the draft, the more I really like the depth of C prospects in the middle rounds. Considering we don't have a need for an immediate starter, I think between Grasu, Gallik, Mason, Finney, Dismukes, and Garcia, unless we have a guy we really love, we can wait for the market to come to us and get a good future starter in the 4th or even 5th round.

I would lean toward defense because everyone of those players would contribute.

How about if those drafts had a mock draft baby:

Guest TerraTor
Since we invested highly on D via free agency, I'll go O. We need OL, youth and speed everywhere.

Amari Cooper WR

Jake Fisher OT

Tevin Coleman RB

Arie Kouandjio. sp? OG

Andy Gallik C

Jeff Heuerman TE

Antwan Goodley WR

I think our FA was very questionable... a non-starting DE/OLB and all others 1 year deals... plus Rolle is old as dirt

I think our FA was very questionable... a non-starting DE/OLB and all others 1 year deals... plus Rolle is old as dirt

The fact that we got some of those guys on 1 year league minimum deals makes this a great offseason. Completely low risk high reward.

If not for the allegations, McDonald is a top 5 DL FA, and we got him for peanuts. McPhee was very effective and is a huge upgrade worthy of the price tag. Rolle is older but brings a ton of experience and leadership to the team. He is not a long term solution and should only be seen as a stop gap for a year or two. Jenkins brings 3-4 experience to the DLine. Acho is 3 years younger than Skuta (which some people were interested in) and graded out better. Foster was great in TB pre-Lovie, and was not used properly last year and struggled. He is a steal for what we paid. So the DLine got McDonald/Jenkins, LBs got McPhee, Acho, and Foster, and the secondary got Rolle and Ball. I could easily see guys like McDonald, Acho, Foster, and Ball all staying longer than their one-year deals. Regardless, we got better (and younger) on defense and should add a few additional impact players via the draft.

On offense, Royal fills a huge need and gives us a true slot receiver, something we have lacked for a long time (and lessens the loss of Marshall). Rodgers gives us another veteran option and true 3rd down back. Montgomery is 4 years younger than Garza and will have offensive familiarity with Gase. So if we address WR and possibly OLine in the draft, we should clearly be better on offense in 2015.