Forte skips workout

killakrzydav

He's a vet, last year of deal, and its VOLUNTARY

no big deal,he's an upright guy, not like some of the whiny little bitches we have had in the past.

Yep. He's skipped in the past and been okay. No way in hell he gets a new deal upfront with the new regime. Everything they have done indicates a "prove it" mentality.

He's a vet, last year of deal, and its VOLUNTARY

no big deal,he's an upright guy, not like some of the whiny little bitches we have had in the past.

Him missing voluntary meetings is no big deal, but if reports of him wanting a new deal are true, that could end up being a big deal.

Contractually he's at an interesting part of his career because of age and all the data out there that shows RBs his age tend to be at the end of the line. I would hope he proves not to be the whiny little bitch you suggest he isn't and doesn't sit out, and just balls out to force them to make a decision.

Him missing voluntary meetings is no big deal, but if reports of him wanting a new deal are true, that could end up being a big deal.

Contractually he's at an interesting part of his career because of age and all the data out there that shows RBs his age tend to be at the end of the line. I would hope he proves not to be the whiny little bitch you suggest he isn't and doesn't sit out, and just balls out to force them to make a decision.

of course he wants a new deal, who doesn't. he will play for new contract for us or someone else. It justs doesn't matter.

Bad timing on Forte's part IMO but it all depends on what he is looking for. At his age the team is likely going to sit back and not want to commit big money. Is he willing to take less per year with more guaranteed, and if so, how much less? I think Forte has a couple good years left but he can't be the bell cow much longer.

If he's reasonable both sides could find some common ground on say a 2yr extension which could give us some cap savings. I just don't see that happening with his salary already at $8mil this year because Forte will want quite a bit more than that guaranteed, likely $12-15mil. I can't see Pace committing that to a 30 year old RB.

Bad timing on Forte's part IMO but it all depends on what he is looking for. At his age the team is likely going to sit back and not want to commit big money. Is he willing to take less per year with more guaranteed, and if so, how much less? I think Forte has a couple good years left but he can't be the bell cow much longer.

If he's reasonable both sides could find some common ground on say a 2yr extension which could give us some cap savings. I just don't see that happening with his salary already at $8mil this year because Forte will want quite a bit more than that guaranteed, likely $12-15mil. I can't see Pace committing that to a 30 year old RB.

He will just play this year for a new contract, probably with someone else next year.

If he plays well and stays healthy, i see him getting a new two year deal for 10 mil from someone next year with 5 mil guaranteed

He has no leverage, so I'm not concerned. He's a pro. He'll come in on time and in shape. I would still trade him for a pick and draft the type of back the new staff wants. I'd take any off the top 5 in this draft.

What pick(s)? I don't think the Bears could get more than a third for him. I'd rather hold onto him if that's the case. He will definitely produce better than a 3rd round pick normally would. Or would you make the new draftee fight for PT with Carey and Quiz?

What pick(s)? I don't think the Bears could get more than a third for him. I'd rather hold onto him if that's the case. He will definitely produce better than a 3rd round pick normally would. Or would you make the new draftee fight for PT with Carey and Quiz?

Depends if they have plans for him beyond this season. If they think hes starting to decline and view this as his last year then they might as well get some long term value for him vs just letting him walk. This is certainly the draft to find the RB of the future.

Depends if they have plans for him beyond this season. If they think hes starting to decline and view this as his last year then they might as well get some long term value for him vs just letting him walk. This is certainly the draft to find the RB of the future.

I'd probably trade him for a second if it were offered. And I have my eyeballs on TJ Yeldon with that pick.

But that isn't going to happen. No way the Bears get a 2nd for a 3-down, workhorse back who is getting close to reaching his overhaul mileage.

The only reason this may be a "big deal" to the Bears is because it's the first season with the new staff. He ought to be getting as much face time with them as possible. He's still a very good player and I hope we keep him (not trade for a pick this year) but I could see his missing these types of voluntary sessions as being an issue under these circumstances.

With that said, it's not a big deal to me.

First he tweeted pictures of getting re-baptised and now this. Maybe Briggs and Marshall weren't the only problems in the lockerroom. The history of this position has trended to a guy who has numerous touches the previous season tend to wear down that very next season. Another factor to consider is that Forte has the same agent as MJD who also seems to have declined after numerous carries in Jax. This agent might be trying to strike now with the intent to help his client maximize his earning potential now but this is a big gamble for 2 reasons new staff on this team and a RB friendly draft and the de-valued look at RB league wide.

I hate continuing to reference how long I have followed this team but Forte IMO is the smoothest RB that has ever played here sort of a combo of Payton and Sayers but his constant taking himself out of games drives me nuts because the two players I think he has traits of would never do that. If I'm Pace I play poker and call his bluff and I draft his potential replacement this year as well as Cutler's.

...but his constant taking himself out of games drives me nuts because the two players I think he has traits of would never do that. If I'm Pace I play poker and call his bluff and I draft his potential replacement this year as well as Cutler's.

First you reference how his value has been decreased by his massive number of plays and then challenge his manhood on taking himself out of the game. I hope you can at least see the inconsistency here.

If I'm Pace I realize I have a great player in Forte but an aging one and I try to treat him better on his way out the door than some other recent former Bears were treated by the last front office... And I draft his replacement this year if the opportunity presents itself. This is a business and while Matt's one of the best, he's only got a few years left in him.

My simple thought is that he is not a difference maker. There are 5 running backs in this year's draft that can run for more than Forte and they'll be cheaper and 9 years younger. Forte can help a lot of teams more than he can help us.

I heard that on the radio that the Bears are exploring trading him and number 7 overall to Jax for pick 3. I really think I do this deal. He seems so flaky lately and may be some of the other locker malcontents we need to remove going forward.

The Bears have to be shopping more picks, if any of the trade rumors are true. On the value chart that came up first, the third pick has a value of 2200 and the 7th one of 1500. That leaves 700 left, or the value of the 26th pick. Forte is just not worth that at age 29 and his contract.

The Cutler to the Titans rumor would have been the 2600 for the Titans number two overall, with the Bear 7th pick being worth 1500. That leaves 1100 or the value of the 14th pick overall. Once again, well above Cutler's value.

If there are any truth to either rumor, it's quite possible that next years first or another high pick this year are included in these deals.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

First you reference how his value has been decreased by his massive number of plays and then challenge his manhood on taking himself out of the game. I hope you can at least see the inconsistency here.

If I'm Pace I realize I have a great player in Forte but an aging one and I try to treat him better on his way out the door than some other recent former Bears were treated by the last front office... And I draft his replacement this year if the opportunity presents itself. This is a business and while Matt's one of the best, he's only got a few years left in him.

Sorry for the late reply but, you take a small sample of my full post and try to find some in consistencies? I never challenged Forte's manhood I just commented on the fact that he CONSISTENTLY takes himself out of games by looking at the sideline and raising his hand in the air. Thats not challenging his manhood its a fact. On most of the Bears sustained drives Forte is not out there for the whole drive and if he breaks of a long run he comes out of the game almost immediately.In the games I watch this is what happens.

My comment about the touches may require you to do some research. For starters take the names of Priest Holmes, LaDanien Tomlinson ,Maurice Jones-Drew and Charlie Garner. Look at all those guys production the year after heavy touches came the previous year. Forte falls into this line of thinking for the up coming season so if he is expecting to get an up in pay, the I'm saying buyer beware!

Sorry for the late reply but, you take a small sample of my full post and try to find some in consistencies? I never challenged Forte's manhood I just commented on the fact that he CONSISTENTLY takes himself out of games by looking at the sideline and raising his hand in the air. Thats not challenging his manhood its a fact. On most of the Bears sustained drives Forte is not out there for the whole drive and if he breaks of a long run he comes out of the game almost immediately.In the games I watch this is what happens.

My comment about the touches may require you to do some research. For starters take the names of Priest Holmes, LaDanien Tomlinson ,Maurice Jones-Drew and Charlie Garner. Look at all those guys production the year after heavy touches came the previous year. Forte falls into this line of thinking for the up coming season so if he is expecting to get an up in pay, the I'm saying buyer beware!

I only snipped the part I thought relevant to my post. I don't really disagree with you that he's had a lot of touches. All I'm saying is that when he "takes himself out of games" it's probably because he's been involved in the previous 4 or 5 plays in a row and he needs a breather. I know my football god Walter Payton didn't do that so I see where you're coming from, but defensive tackles, aside from the Fridge, didn't weigh 300+ LBs back then either. And linebackers weren't as fast as RB's. The game has changed. No, I never really held it against Forte because when he was on the field, he was giving it 110%. He's been great. But you and I definitely agree, he's on the downside of his career and the Bears need to approach his contract with that in mind. You can't give him a deal that's going to be a boat anchor for the cap in future years. And if Matt doesn't realize that, he'll end up on another team.

I only snipped the part I thought relevant to my post. I don't really disagree with you that he's had a lot of touches. All I'm saying is that when he "takes himself out of games" it's probably because he's been involved in the previous 4 or 5 plays in a row and he needs a breather. I know my football god Walter Payton didn't do that so I see where you're coming from, but defensive tackles, aside from the Fridge, didn't weigh 300+ LBs back then either. And linebackers weren't as fast as RB's. The game has changed. No, I never really held it against Forte because when he was on the field, he was giving it 110%. He's been great. But you and I definitely agree, he's on the downside of his career and the Bears need to approach his contract with that in mind. You can't give him a deal that's going to be a boat anchor for the cap in future years. And if Matt doesn't realize that, he'll end up on another team.

Honestly? I LOVE when guys take themselves out as long as they are doing it for the benefit of the team. I don't give a damn who you are, if you are completely gassed, you are not going to be good at your physical job. This is especially true for sports where there is a high cardiovascular requirement. If Forte just busted his ass for three or four plays, then absolutely he should come out and take a breather. A 100% Carey is definitely better than a gassed Forte. And if you've built up your roster appropriately, you can take advantage of superior depth to exploit this concept.

Honestly? I LOVE when guys take themselves out as long as they are doing it for the benefit of the team. I don't give a damn who you are, if you are completely gassed, you are not going to be good at your physical job. This is especially true for sports where there is a high cardiovascular requirement. If Forte just busted his ass for three or four plays, then absolutely he should come out and take a breather. A 100% Carey is definitely better than a gassed Forte. And if you've built up your roster appropriately, you can take advantage of superior depth to exploit this concept.

Yep

• 2 weeks later...
Matt Forte

9 mins · Facebook Mentions ·

So with all these media reports saying I'm skipping "voluntary" W/O to leverage a contract it's time to set the record straight. If the Bears want to give me a contract ext. they will; if they don't they won't. I'm not mad or holding a grudge. I don't operate like that. I'm not there because I'm finishing my third week of rigorous speed training in which we do not do at Halas hall. This was already my plan as of seasons end last year because after evaluating myself (which all players should do) I felt I was missing something. As for missing voluntary minicamp. There is OTA's (phase 2) and mandatory minicamp in which I will be present for. This is not an explanation of guilt. This is an explanation because I value you all as fans. But what I do not value is your opinion on what I should do to best prepare for the season. As for the piccolo award this training trip was planned long before our offseason schedule was released to us. I value this award greatly as it is my second time winning this prestigious award. Unfortunately my decision to work on my body and craft in preparation for the season did not coincide. I've come to realize that this year along with each reception or carry might be my last in a Bears uniform. So with that being said its all LOVE Chicago. ‪#‎ialwaysshowup‬

Here's Forte's response to skipping the work outs that he posted today on Facebook. There's also a video of him working out.

https://www.facebook.com/mattforte22?fref=nf