Safeties

AZ54

Killing time watching some video of safeties and figured I'd share my thoughts. Collins of course is a good player just don't think he's worthy of a top 10 pick. If we pick a safety I don't think it will happen until Rd 3 at the earliest and likely on day 3. I just watch some games on Draft Breakdown and read profiles.

I'm off the Damarius Randall (ASU) bandwagon. He has good athleticism and coverage skills but he's soft and misses too many tackles. The number one skill I want from a safety is the ability to tackle. Mike Brown was slow but you knew if it was just him back there he'd make the tackle.

Jacquiski Tartt…Samford. For his size/speed combination he's not as effective as I expected. Saw too many plays where smaller WRs just block him and he seems to give up on the play. IMO fighting off blocks, or at least attempting to get off the block to get in on a play is a passion you have or you don't. There are skills you can teach to help but if the effort and passion isn't there when you are showcasing your skills to the NFL then coaching likely won't help. The game just gets harder at the next level too. Draftek has him at 123 overall.

Ibraheim Campbell…Northwestern. I like this kid. Plays with good effort works to get in on the plays. Has good enough speed and skills in coverage but he's not a FS. Solid somewhat physical tackler, can't really deliver big hits but he'll at least stick to the RB or WR and they won't get past him. DraftTek has him at 151 overall.

Anthony Harris…Virginia. I like him. Tall and not that strong for size so he has room to add some bulk. He's more quick than fast but he's not afraid to get in the mix. Seen him take on Karlos Williams head on. Good quickness and breaks on the ball well. He likes to tackle high (i.e. grab shoulders) too often but some coaching and that can be fixed. Drafttek has him at 95 overall.

Clayton Geathers ….UCF. Sometimes slow to react but he'll deliver some big highlight hits. Plays the game aggressively even in coverage working to bat the ball away. Has the build and mentality to be a solid SS. He plays coverage on special teams too which would only help him make the roster. Drafttek has him at 191 overall.

I'm a solid NO on Jacquiski Tartt. I have officiated while he was on the field, and for a player at that level, I would have expected him to stand out. I never noticed him on the field. In fact, I recall the offense doing fairly well in the passing game.

I'm a solid NO on Jacquiski Tartt. I have officiated while he was on the field, and for a player at that level, I would have expected him to stand out. I never noticed him on the field. In fact, I recall the offense doing fairly well in the passing game.

Have you checked out Adrian Amos/PSU, I have read some good reports on him and he is a 4th or 5th rounder, with upside to be a starter one day.

This really makes me wonder what these so-called experts really see in him other than measurables. He's big and fast but beyond that what?

This really makes me wonder what these so-called experts really see in him other than measurables. He's big and fast but beyond that what?

IDK. It's one of the reasons I don't put as much stock in the measurable aspect of things. When I'm on the field I rarely remember players unless they are exemplary. Naturally, those guys catch my eye because they do something, or multiple things, that are just outstanding.

For instance, I officiated a game during TJ Yeldon's Junior or Senior year where I knew, right away, he was going to the pros. That dude is a stud. If not for Forte and the various holes on our defense, I would be really happy with him on the Bears. Same goes for Kwon Alexander out of LSU. I think that dude is going to be a productive pro for several years. He may never become an all-pro, but I think he'll be a good player, a glue guy that holds defenses together.

Jaquiski Tartt? Not so much.

I think my main concern is that the Bears really need a FS, and I feel like there may not be any "plug & play" FSs in this draft besides Randall and maybe Derron Smith and a bunch of potential CB converts (Rollins, Shaw, Rowe, etc.). Harris and Prewitt seem more like SSs. Holliman and Drummond seem like really bad tacklers. Eskridge I like OK, but he came out early and will need another year. So, if you're the Bears, and you want a safety, do you draft a SS and put Rolle at FS, or do you possibly reach for a FS like Randall or Smith in the second based on need? Or would it be better to just get another body at S and plan on using Rolle and Mundy/Vereen this year? I don't know the answer to that.

I like the mention of Geathers up in the OP. I like the tape I've seen. The other late guy I'm really warming up to Kyshown Jarrett from VT. He' small, but seems to consistently take on and take down bigger guys and shows some good recovery speed. Reminds me a bit of Antoine Bethea, who Fangio had last year in SF. Take a look:

I may be alone on this, but I'm ok with the Rolle/Mundy duo for the year.

Rolle signed a 3 year deal, so I'd be a little surprised if he doesn't start for at least the first year.

Ryan Mundy IMO is underrated on this board. You want your SS to be able to tackle, well Mundy was the 7th most efficient tackling safety last season according to PFF.

Looking at the list of efficiency ratings, there's a lot of interesting names that came up in the bottom 10.

Tackles/Missed tackles

T.J. Ward - 67/18

Rahim Moore- 43/12

James Ihedigbo- 55/17

Ron Parker- 56/17

Dashon Goldson- 61/20

Kenny Vaccaro- 58/19

Calvin Pryor- 40/15

The last few years those names came up a ton on this board in draft/FA talks, and ironically they make up 70% of the bottom 10 in tackling efficiency.

Mundy quietly had 82 tackles and only 8 missed tackles.

One things for sure, I will accept whatever they do at the safety position. In SF Fangio and Donatell made pro bowlers out of Dashon Goldson and Donte Whitner, 2 players who elsewhere have been mediocre to bad.....Fox is also a former secondary coach who knows talent back there.

I may be alone on this, but I'm ok with the Rolle/Mundy duo for the year.

Rolle signed a 3 year deal, so I'd be a little surprised if he doesn't start for at least the first year.

Ryan Mundy IMO is underrated on this board. You want your SS to be able to tackle, well Mundy was the 7th most efficient tackling safety last season according to PFF.

Looking at the list of efficiency ratings, there's a lot of interesting names that came up in the bottom 10.

Tackles/Missed tackles

T.J. Ward - 67/18

Rahim Moore- 43/12

James Ihedigbo- 55/17

Ron Parker- 56/17

Dashon Goldson- 61/20

Kenny Vaccaro- 58/19

Calvin Pryor- 40/15

The last few years those names came up a ton on this board in draft/FA talks, and ironically they make up 70% of the bottom 10 in tackling efficiency.

Mundy quietly had 82 tackles and only 8 missed tackles.

One things for sure, I will accept whatever they do at the safety position. In SF Fangio and Donatell made pro bowlers out of Dashon Goldson and Donte Whitner, 2 players who elsewhere have been mediocre to bad.....Fox is also a former secondary coach who knows talent back there.

I actually feel the same way. I think the worst thing we can do is reach for a S in a bad class based on need. If someone falls in our lap, great, but otherwise, they can start Rolle and Mundy and use Vereen similar to how Fangio used Jimmie Ward last year, maybe get a developmental S like Geathers or Eskridge in the late rounds.

Ya, I still think they should try and grab a developmental guy, and the guy I like that hasn't been mentioned is James Sample. He was overshadowed at Louisville by Holliman, but from all I've seen he looks like he could be the most underrated safety in the draft. Id think about taking him as early as the 4th, and hed be a no brainier in the 5th.

Ya, I still think they should try and grab a developmental guy, and the guy I like that hasn't been mentioned is James Sample. He was overshadowed at Louisville by Holliman, but from all I've seen he looks like he could be the most underrated safety in the draft. Id think about taking him as early as the 4th, and hed be a no brainier in the 5th.

From what little I've seen of him Sample looks like he could develop into a good player and I'd have no problem if we draft him especially if he's there in the 5th Rd.

Virginia game linked below and you'll see him come in several times to make a solid tackle.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players...47/james-sample

I think my main concern is that the Bears really need a FS, and I feel like there may not be any "plug & play" FSs in this draft besides Randall and maybe Derron Smith and a bunch of potential CB converts (Rollins, Shaw, Rowe, etc.). Harris and Prewitt seem more like SSs. Holliman and Drummond seem like really bad tacklers. Eskridge I like OK, but he came out early and will need another year. So, if you're the Bears, and you want a safety, do you draft a SS and put Rolle at FS, or do you possibly reach for a FS like Randall or Smith in the second based on need? Or would it be better to just get another body at S and plan on using Rolle and Mundy/Vereen this year? I don't know the answer to that.

I like the mention of Geathers up in the OP. I like the tape I've seen. The other late guy I'm really warming up to Kyshown Jarrett from VT. He' small, but seems to consistently take on and take down bigger guys and shows some good recovery speed. Reminds me a bit of Antoine Bethea, who Fangio had last year in SF. Take a look:

I say…don't draft a FS just to say we drafted a FS. We cannot fix all the holes on our roster in one off season so we're better off grabbing more BPA. Leave Rolle at FS for this year. With his experience we'll be ok. The talent is more at SS and grab a guy there to develop long term while Mundy holds the reigns. I don't think Mundy was that bad and if our LBs would get better he'd have more help.

As late round prospects go I really like that kid Jarrett from VT. Love how he plays the game and he's very quick in traffic so he avoids blockers and finds the ball. For his size he is very physical. He doesn't have the speed you want in a FS but he's not far off and might be able to play there with some more experience. I'd take him any day over players like Randall or Holliman who are afraid to tackle.

Have you checked out Adrian Amos/PSU, I have read some good reports on him and he is a 4th or 5th rounder, with upside to be a starter one day.

I like him, he's not as instinctive as I'd like to see but when you consider he's only played 2 seasons at safety there is upside with the right coaching.