Safeties

AZ54

Killing time watching some video of safeties and figured I'd share my thoughts. Collins of course is a good player just don't think he's worthy of a top 10 pick. If we pick a safety I don't think it will happen until Rd 3 at the earliest and likely on day 3. I just watch some games on Draft Breakdown and read profiles.

I'm off the Damarius Randall (ASU) bandwagon. He has good athleticism and coverage skills but he's soft and misses too many tackles. The number one skill I want from a safety is the ability to tackle. Mike Brown was slow but you knew if it was just him back there he'd make the tackle.

Jacquiski Tartt…Samford. For his size/speed combination he's not as effective as I expected. Saw too many plays where smaller WRs just block him and he seems to give up on the play. IMO fighting off blocks, or at least attempting to get off the block to get in on a play is a passion you have or you don't. There are skills you can teach to help but if the effort and passion isn't there when you are showcasing your skills to the NFL then coaching likely won't help. The game just gets harder at the next level too. Draftek has him at 123 overall.

Ibraheim Campbell…Northwestern. I like this kid. Plays with good effort works to get in on the plays. Has good enough speed and skills in coverage but he's not a FS. Solid somewhat physical tackler, can't really deliver big hits but he'll at least stick to the RB or WR and they won't get past him. DraftTek has him at 151 overall.

Anthony Harris…Virginia. I like him. Tall and not that strong for size so he has room to add some bulk. He's more quick than fast but he's not afraid to get in the mix. Seen him take on Karlos Williams head on. Good quickness and breaks on the ball well. He likes to tackle high (i.e. grab shoulders) too often but some coaching and that can be fixed. Drafttek has him at 95 overall.

Clayton Geathers ….UCF. Sometimes slow to react but he'll deliver some big highlight hits. Plays the game aggressively even in coverage working to bat the ball away. Has the build and mentality to be a solid SS. He plays coverage on special teams too which would only help him make the roster. Drafttek has him at 191 overall.