Mock Draft of Guys We Aren't Talking About

dawhizz

I see a lot of the same names in the mock drafts, and for good reason, but since every year is a surprise, I figured I'd try to come up with a realistic Bears mock of guys I haven't seen much on, to see what people might think:

1) Bud Dupree, DE/LB, Kentucky - I think this is high, but I've seen more and more mock that have him ahead of Beasley, Ray, and Gregory, so if Fowler goes top 4 and the Bears go edge rusher, he could very well be the pick.

2) Quinton Rollins, DB, Miami (OH) - Defensive player of the year with only one year of college football experience piques my interest. Might be the ballhawking safety we are looking for.

3) Rashad Greene, WR, Florida State - If we wait on WR based on our BPA rankings, this seems like the best fit as far as a potential starter in the third round. Not very big, but put up big stats against big competition and polished route running.

4) Mitch Morse, OL, Missouri - Late riser who has played G, OT, and C. Might be able to step right in and play at our weakest o-line position. I think worse case scenario, he's a future staring center.

5) Rakeem Nunez-Roches, DT, Southern Miss - Potential all-name team is a possible fit at end or NT in our scheme

6) Justin Cox, CB, Mississippi State - Big fast CB for depth. Could also be a safety.

I don't like Dupree that early. He's a good athlete but doesn't get around the edge as well as other guys at the top of the pass rusher lists.

I don't like Quinton Rollins until late day 3. The only reason this kid has any talk of Rd 2/3 is purely based on his athletic ability. He has far too much to learn to contribute in a meaningful way for a year or two. At best we can hope he'll make the roster on special teams. In Rd 2 there are far better prospects that can help us win this year.

Rashad Green is ok but if we're going after a smaller WR in Rd 3 I'd rather take Lockett who has is quicker and has better long speed to make the big plays. Lockett would be our KR/PR, he also does kick coverage as a gunner, and can add the speed element we don't have at WR.

I don't like Dupree that early. He's a good athlete but doesn't get around the edge as well as other guys at the top of the pass rusher lists.

I don't like Quinton Rollins until late day 3. The only reason this kid has any talk of Rd 2/3 is purely based on his athletic ability. He has far too much to learn to contribute in a meaningful way for a year or two. At best we can hope he'll make the roster on special teams. In Rd 2 there are far better prospects that can help us win this year.

Rashad Green is ok but if we're going after a smaller WR in Rd 3 I'd rather take Lockett who has is quicker and has better long speed to make the big plays. Lockett would be our KR/PR, he also does kick coverage as a gunner, and can add the speed element we don't have at WR.

Fwiw, DraftBreakdown.com and First Round Grade have Dupree as the 4th best player and #1 Edge Rusher in the draft: http://www.talkbears.com/forums/index.php?...t=0#entry147601

I thought Rollins looked real good at the senior bowl, and is further along than you might think. As a safety though he probably takes a step back from where hes at now.

When really thinking about it, I think the transition from really good defensive basketball player, like Rollins was, to CB should really translate. When you watch defenders in basketball, they have to stick to their men like glue while also fighting through ball screens and all that. Im a little surprised we don't see this sort of transition more often like we do with the TE position.

I like him a lot more as a man corner than a safety, and I think the need at CB got pushed back out of the 2R after the Ball signing, so I think Id pass on Rollins unless we pick up a later 2R pick.

It is really hard to see us pick someone we haven't been talking about in the first, but I could see things going that way from the 2nd on. Here are some really productive names from the 2nd-6th. These would be potential options, depending on how the draft played out.

Devin Smith, WR - OSU (2nd Round) - if we didn't go WR in the first, I wouldn't mind him opposite AJ to blow the top off the defense (no one did it better in CFB last year)

Paul Dawson, ILB - TCU (2nd-3rd Round) - not really a sleeper, but should be a first rounder with his production

Laken Tomlinson, OG - Duke (2nd-3rd Round) - very solid in run and pass defense and would be a great pick in the 3rd

Trey Flowers, DL - ARK (3rd Round) - Had a bunch of pressures/hurries on QB's this year, and was also very solid against the run (possible 3-4 DE?)

Henry Anderson, DL - STA (3rd-4th Round) - Had better overall stats than Leonard Williams (comparable against the run and much better against the pass), DE in a 3-4

Nick O'Leary, TE - FSU (3rd-4th Round) - Insane hands, 1 drop and 48 receptions

James Sample, SS - UL (4th-5th round) - Efficient tackler, top 10 against run and pass, could end up as the best Safety in the draft

Lorenzo Doss, CB - TU (4th-5th round) - A ton of pass breakups and INTs in his collegiate career

Max Garcia, C - FL (5th-6th Round) - Top 10 pass pro and run blocking

Josh Robinson, RB - MS (5th-6th Round) - Reminds me of MJD, elusive yet powerful, crazy back story

It is really hard to see us pick someone we haven't been talking about in the first, but I could see things going that way from the 2nd on. Here are some really productive names from the 2nd-6th. These would be potential options, depending on how the draft played out.

Devin Smith, WR - OSU (2nd Round) - if we didn't go WR in the first, I wouldn't mind him opposite AJ to blow the top off the defense (no one did it better in CFB last year)

Paul Dawson, ILB - TCU (2nd-3rd Round) - not really a sleeper, but should be a first rounder with his production

Laken Tomlinson, OG - Duke (2nd-3rd Round) - very solid in run and pass defense and would be a great pick in the 3rd

Trey Flowers, DL - ARK (3rd Round) - Had a bunch of pressures/hurries on QB's this year, and was also very solid against the run (possible 3-4 DE?)

Henry Anderson, DL - STA (3rd-4th Round) - Had better overall stats than Leonard Williams (comparable against the run and much better against the pass), DE in a 3-4

Nick O'Leary, TE - FSU (3rd-4th Round) - Insane hands, 1 drop and 48 receptions

James Sample, SS - UL (4th-5th round) - Efficient tackler, top 10 against run and pass, could end up as the best Safety in the draft

Lorenzo Doss, CB - TU (4th-5th round) - A ton of pass breakups and INTs in his collegiate career

Max Garcia, C - FL (5th-6th Round) - Top 10 pass pro and run blocking

Josh Robinson, RB - MS (5th-6th Round) - Reminds me of MJD, elusive yet powerful, crazy back story

Might be able to add Shane Ray to RD2 picks. He just got pulled over with pot, how stupid can you be.

Everybody has some issues, but the thing that bothers me is there bad choices right before the draft. Are they just dumb?

Wow another million dollar puff of smoke.

Dumb or really arrogant thinking he can or will get away with it. I personally don't think marijuana is a big deal but I've been around it enough to know it does affect motivation. That aside, it's the decision to do this at the start of such a lucrative professional career that really makes me question a guy's judgment and not just on this issue.

Might be able to add Shane Ray to RD2 picks. He just got pulled over with pot, how stupid can you be.

I'd take him if he fell. I don't care about boy scouts. I want players. Same reason I have called for the following in the past: TO, Moss, Burfict, etc.

I'd take him if he fell. I don't care about boy scouts. I want players. Same reason I have called for the following in the past: TO, Moss, Burfict, etc.

I generally agree with you on not wanting a team full of boy scouts. With that said, we always disagreed on TO. My thoughts on a guy like that (besides the fact that his skills had diminished) are that, at some point, the league needs to stop rewarding guys like him despite the antics. Being a distraction no matter where he went eventually caught up with him.

As to Moss, unfortunately, his talents would've been mostly wasted here given the lack of QB talent we had here during his golden years.

I generally agree with you on not wanting a team full of boy scouts. With that said, we always disagreed on TO. My thoughts on a guy like that (besides the fact that his skills had diminished) are that, at some point, the league needs to stop rewarding guys like him despite the antics. Being a distraction no matter where he went eventually caught up with him.

As to Moss, unfortunately, his talents would've been mostly wasted here given the lack of QB talent we had here during his golden years.

Perhaps. But when the Bears could have first signed him, he was still a stud. Same for Moss. I was calling for both of them back in 2005ish. Here's the oldest post I could find on this board.

Players do not have to be boy scouts, but breaking the rules cost being able to play in games. Where do you draw the line?

Here is PFF's top 10 available 2nd day players, I was surprised to see 4 of them from my "draft sleepers" list below:

Devin Smith, Ohio State, WR - if we didn't get White, I would've loved Smith

Grady Jarrett, Clemson, ID - DL candidate with a few others (Goldman, Phillips)

Henry Anderson, Stanford, ID - production is hard to pass up, but some consider him too much of a tweener

Jaelen Strong, Arizona State, WR - don't need another WR

La’el Collins, LSU, OT - dropped due to issues, doubt he is on our board (would rather have Fisher, then Clemmings or Smith)

Landon Collins, Alabama, S - surprised he dropped this far, but coverage skills scare teams, would be hard to pass up at 39 though

Maxx Williams, Minnesota, TE - seemed like a 2nd round pick all along, but I don't see the need

Paul Dawson, TCU, LB - mid-2nd is about where he should go, would not mind the pick (others: Kendricks, Perryman)

Randy Gregory, Nebraska, ED - dropped due to issues, don't know if he is worth the headache (others: Harold,

Trey Flowers, Arkansas, ED - production is hard to pass up