IF they live up to their potential....

scs787

A lot of this could be just me sipping the kool-aid, but for awhile now I've been thinking that this D they put together COULD be pretty good if all it's parts play to their potential.

DL

Ray McDonald- I think the off the field stuff is really blinding people on just how good McDonald is. Here's a guy who in Fangios very successful time in SF played the 3rd most snaps, so he was obviously a key part to a very good defense. Rotoword said he was one of the best 3-4 DEs in the league last year.

Eddie Goldman- They got a guy to take on doubles which will help on every level. The run defense will be really good on the first level.

2nd DE?- We have a plethora of guys who can take this role and chances are one is successful in doing so. Houston if he's not an OLB should be a really solid DE. I see no reason why Ratliff couldn't play DE in a 3-4. Ego showed some potential last year and could be a fit out there as well. Jenkins has showed flashes in the past and if Fangio can get something out of him, look out!

LBs

Pernell McPhee- When you watch the tape and look at his advanced stats, dude looks like a monster. If he can play to the potential he showed in a limited role in a full time role, we're talking about a pro bowl player.

Mason Foster- He was pretty bad last year, but in 2013 he was really solid. People are talking about him as a run stuffer, but in 2013 he was really good in coverage, and after reading what Fangio did with his ILBs, he'll be in coverage a lot. This thread is all about potential, and if we get 2013 Mason Foster, that's gonna be huge.

2nd ILB- Again, in Fangios D, the ILBs drop into coverage a lot, and I think that bodes well for Jon Bostic. As a former safety he's got pretty good coverage skills. He'll have competition though, Christian Jones looked like a boss last year in limited time. I wouldn't be shocked to see him even supplant Foster and we see Jones/Bostic.

2nd OLB- All the bodies here have been talked about ad nauseum. Allen, Young, Houston, Bass, Washington, SMC, Acho...And if he dosn't win an ILB job, or just simply looks better at OLB Christian Jones, who is my dark horse. Just like the 2nd DE spot, I think SOMEONE steps up and ends up being a good OLB.

Secondary

Kyle Fuller- First half Fuller was a boss, nuff said.

Alan Ball- Much like Mason Foster, Ball was not very good last year, but in 2013 PFF had him as a top 20 CB. Bears have great secondary coaches to help get him back to that level of play, and I think that they think they can get him back there. Otherwise giving him a 3M dollar contract would be a huge waste, he's a starter IMO.

Tim Jennings- We all know he has been a great player in the past. Has father time stepped in? In the slot I think he should still be able to hang for a little while longer.

Antrell Rolle- The leader the D needs out there. Still put up good numbers last year. I think guys like him, film rats, can stick around for for many a years. His leadership will be invaluable.

Ryan Mundy- Underrated in my book. One of the most efficient tackling safeties in the league last year. He'll be paired with Rolle who he has experience with which I think will help. Not great in coverage, but he won't be asked to do much in coverage in this scheme.

Call me crazy, but I think this is a top 15 D.

Like I said in another thread though, the schedule is brutal. If not for that, I think this could be a playoff team.

A lot of this could be just me sipping the kool-aid, but for awhile now I've been thinking that this D they put together COULD be pretty good if all it's parts play to their potential.

DL

Ray McDonald- I think the off the field stuff is really blinding people on just how good McDonald is. Here's a guy who in Fangios very successful time in SF played the 3rd most snaps, so he was obviously a key part to a very good defense. Rotoword said he was one of the best 3-4 DEs in the league last year.

Eddie Goldman- They got a guy to take on doubles which will help on every level. The run defense will be really good on the first level.

2nd DE?- We have a plethora of guys who can take this role and chances are one is successful in doing so. Houston if he's not an OLB should be a really solid DE. I see no reason why Ratliff couldn't play DE in a 3-4. Ego showed some potential last year and could be a fit out there as well. Jenkins has showed flashes in the past and if Fangio can get something out of him, look out!

LBs

Pernell McPhee- When you watch the tape and look at his advanced stats, dude looks like a monster. If he can play to the potential he showed in a limited role in a full time role, we're talking about a pro bowl player.

Mason Foster- He was pretty bad last year, but in 2013 he was really solid. People are talking about him as a run stuffer, but in 2013 he was really good in coverage, and after reading what Fangio did with his ILBs, he'll be in coverage a lot. This thread is all about potential, and if we get 2013 Mason Foster, that's gonna be huge.

2nd ILB- Again, in Fangios D, the ILBs drop into coverage a lot, and I think that bodes well for Jon Bostic. As a former safety he's got pretty good coverage skills. He'll have competition though, Christian Jones looked like a boss last year in limited time. I wouldn't be shocked to see him even supplant Foster and we see Jones/Bostic.

2nd OLB- All the bodies here have been talked about ad nauseum. Allen, Young, Houston, Bass, Washington, SMC, Acho...And if he dosn't win an ILB job, or just simply looks better at OLB Christian Jones, who is my dark horse. Just like the 2nd DE spot, I think SOMEONE steps up and ends up being a good OLB.

Secondary

Kyle Fuller- First half Fuller was a boss, nuff said.

Alan Ball- Much like Mason Foster, Ball was not very good last year, but in 2013 PFF had him as a top 20 CB. Bears have great secondary coaches to help get him back to that level of play, and I think that they think they can get him back there. Otherwise giving him a 3M dollar contract would be a huge waste, he's a starter IMO.

Tim Jennings- We all know he has been a great player in the past. Has father time stepped in? In the slot I think he should still be able to hang for a little while longer.

Antrell Rolle- The leader the D needs out there. Still put up good numbers last year. I think guys like him, film rats, can stick around for for many a years. His leadership will be invaluable.

Ryan Mundy- Underrated in my book. One of the most efficient tackling safeties in the league last year. He'll be paired with Rolle who he has experience with which I think will help. Not great in coverage, but he won't be asked to do much in coverage in this scheme.

Call me crazy, but I think this is a top 15 D.

Like I said in another thread though, the schedule is brutal. If not for that, I think this could be a playoff team.

I agree on most of your points but think this will take time to put everything together but think there is great upside for this defense.

I think we will see a great improvement on player development.

If everything or almost everything falls in place, could be a 10-6 team but more likely 8-8 and possibly 7-9.

We just dont know how far, the coaches and of course Cutler can carry us on a new approach to a football team.

Don't forget about Sam Acho, from 2011-2012, in 26 starts, he had 88 tackles, 11 sacks, 5 PD, 2 INT, and 6 FFB. He got hurt in 2013 and lost his starting role in 2014. So he has the production and is only 26.

I am hoping just for a top 10 offense and top 20 defense and at least an 8-8 season.

This D will take a couple of years to shape before I think they are considered good/great. We are counting on alot of unknowns. I think we also see a big turnover after the season with alot of money let go (Allen, Jennings etc) which will be put back into the offense with Jeffery and possibly Long ext. I almost forsee another heavy offensive draft next season if we go QB and OT which would be 1st/2nd rd picks. What we hope happens is some of the younger D guys Emery drafted take Fangios coaching better and actually perform. Regardless, just by getting rid of Tucker they should improve 10 spots higher as a d unit.

I like where we're at right now, of course it should take a few years to be top 5 level, but I with the coaches and players we have in place it should at the very least be above average. Which after the Ds we have seen the last 2 years will be a welcome sight.

The D lacks playmakers though and that is something we'll have to address next year (maybe one develops although I don't see many guys with the type of talent level to turn into a playmaker. Should have more solid players though which helps. Maybe Fuller will show he is that guy or McPhee is a total boss with more snaps, but otherwise, don't see anyone else from a pure playmaking perspective. I do like McDonald and Freeman but again, I wouldn't refer to either as "playmaker's", however they will be playing some pretty important positions.

I agree the D could step up to being pretty good given the talent they've added AND, most importantly, the coaching the team added. I think we'll see some of the holdovers playing much better this season because they won't be in the wrong place at the wrong time, ALL THE TIME.

I agree the D could step up to being pretty good given the talent they've added AND, most importantly, the coaching the team added. I think we'll see some of the holdovers playing much better this season because they won't be in the wrong place at the wrong time, ALL THE TIME.

I don't think they can be much, if at all better then league average. Yes, that is a step forward, but anything more than that is probably not going to happen, for the reasons I mentioned earlier (lack of real playmakers, etc).

I buy into McPhee as a playmaker personally. Fuller has the potential to be a play maker. It may not be flashy but with Goldman and McDonald on the line they should be really tough to run against. Rolle was still making plays last year.

Its not gonna be flashy but it should be effective.

I buy into McPhee as a playmaker personally. Fuller has the potential to be a play maker. It may not be flashy but with Goldman and McDonald on the line they should be really tough to run against. Rolle was still making plays last year.

Its not gonna be flashy but it should be effective.

I will point out the Ravens aren't exactly a franchise known for getting rid of playmakers. McPhee has had injury issues and has never been a full down player. I like McPhee and thought it was a nice move with some upside but I can't call a guy a playmaker when he hasn't been that. Brian Urlacher...playmaker, Lance Briggs (in prime)...playmaker, Julius Peppers...playmaker, Peanut Tillman...playmaker. I compare our prime Bears defenses under Lovie and the playmakers we had to this squad and well, you can see the difference between a top 5 unit and what we have. And if it wasn't Peppers, it was Tommie Harris on the dline (in his short-lived prime). This D has zero players who meet the very definition of playmaker at this moment and like I said, Fuller is the one guy with some upside to do it.

I predict we will be closer to the back of the teens or even front end of the early 20's vs. the front of the teens.

As to yardage Fangio's D was in the top 5 for the last four years. Anything below average would surprise me and top 10, this year, is possible. So if anyone wants to bet me that the Bears have a top 16 (or better) D this season, name the charity that'll benefit and let's put our money where our mouths are. We can even have the bet go something like this:

Top 10 - 100% of money paid to CD's charity by you

Top 15 - 75% of money paid to CD's charity, 25% to yours (from me)

Ranked 16 or 17 - 50% of money paid to each (we're both out $50, for example)

Bottom 15 - 75% of money paid to your charity, 25% to mine (by you)

Bottom 10 - 100% of money paid to your charity (be me)

I'm willing to bet $100 on this. Any takers? Loser(s) would just need to post receipts showing the proceeds were paid to the charities.

Reread the last sentence of your post. You contradict yourself. You talk about potential based on the past.

Reread the last sentence of your post. You contradict yourself. You talk about potential based on the past.

I think it was in regards to Foster playing again in a scheme that better fits his skill set.

No I use 2013 as "proof" that he has potential. If he plays up to the potential he showed in 2013 the he's gonna be a huge plus.

I know it is Bleacher Report, but some knucklehead has us at 29th in their post draft Power Rankings. We finished the season 26th (and lost a string at the end that seemed winnable), so I don't think we were as bad as our record indicated. Now you add a new coaching staff and I would say that bumps us up a slot or two, then take all the micro-upgrades in free agency, and we are up a few more. Then add the impact draft picks and I would say we are in the high teens or very low 20's.

The D lacks playmakers though and that is something we'll have to address next year (maybe one develops although I don't see many guys with the type of talent level to turn into a playmaker. Should have more solid players though which helps. Maybe Fuller will show he is that guy or McPhee is a total boss with more snaps, but otherwise, don't see anyone else from a pure playmaking perspective. I do like McDonald and Freeman but again, I wouldn't refer to either as "playmaker's", however they will be playing some pretty important positions.

Agreed. We've added lots of really solid football players. But who on this team makes the pro-bowl? Parnell McPhee? One of our really old former pro-bowlers like Jared Allen, Antrelle, Rolle, or Jay Ratliff?

We expect Eddie Goldman to be a solid run-stuffing nose. Not a big player maker thus not pro-bowl material.

Agreed. We've added lots of really solid football players. But who on this team makes the pro-bowl? Parnell McPhee? One of our really old former pro-bowlers like Jared Allen, Antrelle, Rolle, or Jay Ratliff?

We expect Eddie Goldman to be a solid run-stuffing nose. Not a big player maker thus not pro-bowl material.

Fuller? McPhee? I can actually see Mundy doing really well in this scheme. I know I don't even have him in my starting lineup above, but Christian Jones very well could win a spot and be a playmaker. McDonald isn't flashy, and doesn't sack the QB so he won't be a pro bowler but he's still a damn good player who gets his job done.

Its the sum of the parts that I see making the Bears a top 15 D.

And when you look at the good defenses around the league, they don't have one pro bowler, they have multiple pro bowler / impact guys. Scheme can only do so much. Cracker, I like your charity idea, only thing I don't like is betting against a Bears defense good (I'm an optimist and I like to root for me to be right...that said, charity, so everyone is a winner ultimately. I'll do $50.

And when you look at the good defenses around the league, they don't have one pro bowler, they have multiple pro bowler / impact guys. Scheme can only do so much. Cracker, I like your charity idea, only thing I don't like is betting against a Bears defense good (I'm an optimist and I like to root for me to be right...that said, charity, so everyone is a winner ultimately. I'll do $50.

KC had something like 6 Pro Bowlers (4 on defense) and were 2-14 back in 2012, so Pro Bowl selectees don't necessarily equate to a winning team. I am not worried about Pro Bowl selections as much as effectiveness. A hurry or knockdown might not be a sack, but it is almost equally effective.

What I particularly like is, they SHOULD be very stingey against the run. McDonald is very good against the run, Goldman should be good against the run, Houston, where ever he lines up, is good against the run. Because of Goldman's presence, the LBs should be able to play cleaner and that should make them good against the run.....

Then you couple all that with my thoughts that Ed Donatell and John Fox are 2 of the most knowledgeable DB coaches in the league so I think we should see good DB play as well.

No I use 2013 as "proof" that he has potential. If he plays up to the potential he showed in 2013 the he's gonna be a huge plus.

Regardless of how you used it 2013 is now going to be 2 years ago and if you truly are talking about potential then what he did in another scheme in the past, should not come into play and what he can do from this point going forward is what you said this thread is about.

I will point out the Ravens aren't exactly a franchise known for getting rid of playmakers. McPhee has had injury issues and has never been a full down player. I like McPhee and thought it was a nice move with some upside but I can't call a guy a playmaker when he hasn't been that. Brian Urlacher...playmaker, Lance Briggs (in prime)...playmaker, Julius Peppers...playmaker, Peanut Tillman...playmaker. I compare our prime Bears defenses under Lovie and the playmakers we had to this squad and well, you can see the difference between a top 5 unit and what we have. And if it wasn't Peppers, it was Tommie Harris on the dline (in his short-lived prime). This D has zero players who meet the very definition of playmaker at this moment and like I said, Fuller is the one guy with some upside to do it.

Was Willie Young a play maker to you prior to his injury?

Regardless of how you used it 2013 is now going to be 2 years ago and if you truly are talking about potential then what he did in another scheme in the past, should not come into play and what he can do from this point going forward is what you said this thread is about.

Fine, if he plays up to past success, then he'll be in good shape.

To me that's "playing to his potential" but I digress.