Brady 4 games, next yr's 1st, $1M fine, & 2017's 4th

madlithuanian

Well of course all the fans are upset. I would be too if how I have to win games is cheat and was caught doing it. Even the Raiders haven't stooped this low in a long time and they invented the game of questionable play..

Yes I think the notion that if "our" team was the one instead in the spotlight i (or anyone) would excuse it is sad to suggest. As if I was going to say 'yeah the Bears cheated, so what?' I'd be embarrassed as a fan, not offering up excuses or distractions.

With all the bad guys in the NFL , It is hard to believe letting a a few ounces out of ball(nothing has been proven that it matters in a football game) has commanded this much attention. If we knew the facts I am sure most QBs do something to make the football more comfortable for them to handle. I read where Rodgers prefers the ball to have more air added. I think Brady will have his suspension reduced and dont really care either way. NE has been cited for doing suspicious behavior before so they deserve the bad press, but Brady aint a bad guy.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fact is it sounds like Brady was paying (signed items, etc.) for those chumps to do his dirty work with the balls. That's enough for me to say he's got to get some sort of penalty. He paid someone else to break rules. Talk about integrity of the game.

The team deserves a penalty because there's clearly been an orchestrated effort by the Pats to keep evidence away from the league. Despite that, the league found enough evidence to find them guilty. Therefore, because they're guilty and because they're trying to cover it up, they should get punished.

Not sure if the penalty was harsh enough, not sure if it's too harsh. That's why the league gives that discretion to a commissioner. What I do know is that both sides will have their "day in court" because the Pats aren't going to let this go without a fight.

Cracker,

I agree, if Brady was just saying "hey, I really like the footballs a little softer" and the staff deflates the balls, then that's on the staff. However, since he technically paid them to do it, then that crosses the line. To me that is enough to warrant a couple of games. I am sure with an appeal it will be reduced to 2 games.

For the team, members of their organization artificially manipulated the game in an attempt to gain an advantage. I think a 1st round pick is a pretty fair penalty (since it is not their first offense).

Well of course all the fans are upset. I would be too if how I have to win games is cheat and was caught doing it. Even the Raiders haven't stooped this low in a long time and they invented the game of questionable play..

Yes I think the notion that if "our" team was the one instead in the spotlight i (or anyone) would excuse it is sad to suggest. As if I was going to say 'yeah the Bears cheated, so what?' I'd be embarrassed as a fan, not offering up excuses or distractions.

I think its pathetic to think the Pats win by cheating. I think it's pathetic if you think the PSI in a ball helped them win.

If this was the Bears 99.9% of us would be screaming this penalty is too harsh. You don't have to admit it, but you know deep down I'm right.

Where did I say that if it was the Bears it would excuse it???? I didn't.

And where did I say "yeah the Bears cheated, so what"???? I didn't say that, I haven't said that about the Pats. I have only said that the penalty is too harsh.

Instead of a 1 million dollar fine which is chump change to them, why not something like reducing their salary cap for a season or two, not sure how much but that would be more of a punishment than straight up 1 mil fine. Kraft probably whipes his arse with $100 bills. As stated earlier the 1st rounder will likely be a low first rounder and wouldn't the 4th rounder be a lower round 4th as well? Which makes it more like losing a 2nd rounder and a 5th rounder. People are whining that they came down too hard on them and "it's circumstantial" yada yada, but we're talking about an organization who has a history of circumventing the rules and bending and breaking whatever rules they have to to win at all costs. Not only were they caught, they were arrogant and smug about denying any wrong doing. Bill and Brady brag about how smart they are, but when they are accused of knowingly being involved in rule breaking they suddenly become Sg. Shultz "I know nothing, I see Nooooothing" The act that they got caught in may seem trivial, and in a game that the actual act didn't make a difference in the game (colts blowout). I highly doubt that was the only time they did this, they had some close games before that in the regular season and the previous round of the playoffs vs the Ravens was a far tighter game where something like this would have a much higher potential impact. People need to realize that it's as much about the history of cheating and their attempt to cover up, deny, and not cooperate with the investigation. People with nothing to hide don't withhold or destroy evidence.

Instead of a 1 million dollar fine which is chump change to them, why not something like reducing their salary cap for a season or two, not sure how much but that would be more of a punishment than straight up 1 mil fine. Kraft probably whipes his arse with $100 bills. As stated earlier the 1st rounder will likely be a low first rounder and wouldn't the 4th rounder be a lower round 4th as well? Which makes it more like losing a 2nd rounder and a 5th rounder. People are whining that they came down too hard on them and "it's circumstantial" yada yada, but we're talking about an organization who has a history of circumventing the rules and bending and breaking whatever rules they have to to win at all costs. Not only were they caught, they were arrogant and smug about denying any wrong doing. Bill and Brady brag about how smart they are, but when they are accused of knowingly being involved in rule breaking they suddenly become Sg. Shultz "I know nothing, I see Nooooothing" The act that they got caught in may seem trivial, and in a game that the actual act didn't make a difference in the game (colts blowout). I highly doubt that was the only time they did this, they had some close games before that in the regular season and the previous round of the playoffs vs the Ravens was a far tighter game where something like this would have a much higher potential impact. People need to realize that it's as much about the history of cheating and their attempt to cover up, deny, and not cooperate with the investigation. People with nothing to hide don't withhold or destroy evidence.

Well played sir. And the reduction of salary cap does make better sense.

Unfortunately they'll probably reduce the suspension (Goodell has to appear he's being tough right?) so most of this will appear as a footnote when it's all done. But at least the Pats (and other teams) will have been put on notice.

If this was the Bears would you want such stiff penalty?

if this were the bears i would want it at LEAST as stiff a penalty. if walter payton in his prime was caught cheating then i would want the same penalty if not more. the reason being if you can't play the game or win it fairly under the existing rules, it is not worth jack $h!t. it is a disservice to your team, your teammates, the NFL in a whole and your fans.

Robert Kraft is not from the Kraft Mac N Cheese Family.... just thought you may want to know that.

actually i did not know that. thank you. now i won't gag every time i eat a box of kraft mac & cheese (at least because he was involved with producing it).

my apologies to kraft cheese company and all the cows i have slandered in their name.

Well played sir. And the reduction of salary cap does make better sense.

Unfortunately they'll probably reduce the suspension (Goodell has to appear he's being tough right?) so most of this will appear as a footnote when it's all done. But at least the Pats (and other teams) will have been put on notice.

It'll be interesting to see if these fines get reduced on appeal. I'm one that thinks they won't be. I realize that's the trend but those instances are typically players, through their union, doing something outside the game where there's precedent set. This is honestly one of those occasions where the Commissioner has discretion and there's nothing else to compare this to other than New Orleans who was fined much more severely.

It'll be interesting to see if these fines get reduced on appeal. I'm one that thinks they won't be. I realize that's the trend but those instances are typically players, through their union, doing something outside the game where there's precedent set. This is honestly one of those occasions where the Commissioner has discretion and there's nothing else to compare this to other than New Orleans who was fined much more severely.

On Mike and Mike yesterday there was a suggestion that Brady (and perhaps NE too) won't appeal. Reason being is they'd need to provide depositions and other validated testimony. Where if he (Brady) were to maintain his story it would be borne out that he in fact was lying and it could only make it worse for him. The NFL also would be compelled to have Brady provide evidence to support his 'innocence'. Most notably in this instance it would be his phone etc that he didn't want to provide during the investigation. Interesting to see how they play it.

Dude. Did Tom Brady and the Pats locker room bang your girl? What you propose is insane for some imperceptibly deflated balls that didn't provide any substantial benefit. Lifetime? That's complete nonsense, and you have something else on this issue.

again, to continue to be redundant (i guess nobody has answered this question with any clarity)... if there is NO substantial benefit WHY DO IT?

lifetime may seem like nonsense to you. to me it does not.

1. he is in charge of the pats team day to day. this situation has been going on for years and to believe that he is unaware of it after all the controversy in the past over this subject is in itself "nonsense".

2. 2013 - allegations: "Marshall Faulk: Patriots cheated the Rams out of a Super Bowl

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/...f-a-super-bowl/

2007 - superbowl contestant (lost to giants): "The Patriots were videotaping the Jets' coaches from their own sideline which is not allowed. The act was deemed by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to be in violation of league rules, causing him to say when penalizing the Patriots that this episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid long-standing rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field.

After meeting with Goodell on February 13, 2008 Specter reported that Goodell told him that Belichick had been engaged in the practice since he became head coach of the Patriots in 2000."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_New_Engl...ing_controversy

personnel hired by billy:

josh mcdaniels

patriots coaching staff 1999 - 2008. involved in patriots spygate 1? the NFL says no evidence but come ON... really?

denver head coach 2008-2009 involved in denver bronco's spygate 2

a) Fox Sports: When FOX NFL Sunday's Jay Glazer reported that McDaniels explained the difference between what happened this time in London and what occurred in his and Scarnecchia’s New England past, he reportedly told his staff, “That was practiced, that was coached, that was worked on.” McDaniels was basically pointing his finger at Belichick as the coach who practiced and coached that rogue style of taping anything, even if it meant sneaking into stadiums or buildings close to an opposition’s practice field.

B) god-ell: “The coach’s failure to do so is inconsistent with the Policy on Integrity of the Game, which imposes an obligation on executives, head coaches and others with knowledge of violations to report them promptly,” Goodell wrote. “Because Coach McDaniels failed to do so, I have decided to impose a fine on him of $50,000. I have also, as you know, personally discussed this matter with Coach McDaniels, and have emphasized his critical role in fostering and maintaining a culture of integrity within the football organization. I believe that he now understands his responsibilities in this respect, and am hopeful that he will live up to those responsibilities in the future.”

2012 - 2015 - patriots offensive coordinator.

billy actually HIRES this former employee (who it's hard for me to believe he wasn't involved in the first spygate) who has just been caught cheating on the same thing HE took the hit for 5 years previously!!!!!! that my friend is arrogance.

now we are led to believe, tom brady's former QB coach and current OC knows NOTHING of this practice? seriously???

Steve Scarnecchia

2001 and 2005 patriots employee hired by billy

Scarnecchia worked for the Patriots between 2001 and 2005. As NFL.com wrote, "He [scarnecchia] was found to have participated in the videotaping when he worked for the Patriots in the early 2000s." Because of this, Scarnecchia is facing expulsion from the NFL for a second offense. He may be barred from the league for life.

2008 - 2009 worked for broncos - hired by mcdaniels

again caught cheating for the same thing by illegally filming 9ers practice in london. banned you say? obviously not as he was hired in by the falcons, another team with cheating problems. way to go god-ell.

Jim McNally patriots employee for over a decade also a part time Kraft employee.

McNally previously drew league scrutiny more than a decade ago, the report said, after Patriots ball boys relayed non-approved practice balls into an Oct. 25, 2004, game. There was actually no game on that day, but the Patriots beat the Jets 13-7 on Oct. 24, 2004.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/p...colts/22216585/

"He is in charge of the officials’ locker room at Gillette Stadium, a job he has held since 2008"

"McNally attempted to give the unapproved ball to an official who was in charge of the special teams footballs in the Patriots-Colts AFC Championship Game."

"on page 87 of the report, when McNally sent a text to Jastremski on November 30, 2014, during a Patriots’ away game at Green Bay. The text read: “Deflate and give somebody that jkt.” -- investigators were not able to discuss the text with McNally because Patriots council refused to make him available

http://heavy.com/sports/2015/02/jim-mcnall...e-bio-info-age/

John Jastremski

also involved in the deflate a gate cheating investigation. culpable in the extreme.

3. see any kind of a pattern here? these are just the cheaters we know about. should his new nickname really be the 'teflon' coach?

that said... is the severity of cheating different than having gambling ties? i only ask because pete rose gets banned for life (i agree with this) and billy was actually, officially, cheating at the time of winning MULTIPLE superbowls.

hmmm.... seems like he just rolls along creating an atmosphere of cheating, lies, distrust and suspicion that has legs giving the NFL a black eye they can't afford.

On Mike and Mike yesterday there was a suggestion that Brady (and perhaps NE too) won't appeal. Reason being is they'd need to provide depositions and other validated testimony.

Good point. I think the Pats and Brady are very unlikely to drag this into court. But they could appeal via the union and regular appeals process for Brady. That way he can likely keep his secrets. But the more I think about this the more they complain and drag this out, it lengthens the black eye they're taking here. So unless they want to wage a war over "principle" I doubt they push this crybaby routine for much longer. They KNOW they cheated and they don't want to keep driving that point home for any longer than necessary. I expect they'll take their medicine and STFU pretty soon.

But I could be wrong.

Good point. I think the Pats and Brady are very unlikely to drag this into court. But they could appeal via the union and regular appeals process for Brady. That way he can likely keep his secrets. But the more I think about this the more they complain and drag this out, it lengthens the black eye they're taking here. So unless they want to wage a war over "principle" I doubt they push this crybaby routine for much longer. They KNOW they cheated and they don't want to keep driving that point home for any longer than necessary. I expect they'll take their medicine and STFU pretty soon.

But I could be wrong.

Heard on NFL Network this morning a reiteration of a report I had heard previous. Apparently sometime after the report was released Kraft at some point commented that the team would accept whatever punishment the NFL decided upon. But after the judgment was released, Kraft blew his lid (my words, not theirs) and said it was ludicrous. So my question is; you sorta admit guilt and accept your punishment as long as it meets your limit but since it doesn't, then you're no ok with it and will fight it? Huh???

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/5/11/8588...rady-suspension

If the Bears were to have been proven, or even alleged, to have cheated in a few instances then yes I for one would be ok with a similar penalty. IF Cutler was asked about his implication in the matter and first denied any wrongdoing then, through the course of the investigation, shown to have not been cooperative in the investigation I would also be ok with a similar penalty for him individually. The fact that it's New England has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether they are being judged differently than another team would or should. And quite frankly to raise that as a topic for that contention is pathetic.

Asking Bears' fans if they want Cutler suspended so he can't play for a season? Even without a cheating scandal you'll still get a 50/50 response on that one.

On Mike and Mike yesterday there was a suggestion that Brady (and perhaps NE too) won't appeal. Reason being is they'd need to provide depositions and other validated testimony. Where if he (Brady) were to maintain his story it would be borne out that he in fact was lying and it could only make it worse for him. The NFL also would be compelled to have Brady provide evidence to support his 'innocence'. Most notably in this instance it would be his phone etc that he didn't want to provide during the investigation. Interesting to see how they play it.

I'm hoping Brady and the Pats go full on civilian lawsuit so we can begin the legal process of discovery.

i completely agree with you. in my estimation:

the pats should NOT be eligible for any playoff or superbowl games for the entire 2015 season. just like college ball. if they cheat and are caught they can't go to a bowl game.

i would have targeted a lifetime suspension for billicek. a year suspension would and SHOULD be the absolute minimum he receives.

and nothing for the owner of this franchise? the guy who DEMANDED an apology? in my estimation this is at LEAST the second time cheese boy kraft's cash cow patriots have cheated since he owned them to win a freaking superbowl. no warning from the NFL commish? not even a peep from god - ell? he should be fined millions and WARNED that any reasonably serious rule violations in the future result in his franchise being taken away from him and he is banned for LIFE.

losing a first round pick? it's the freaking 32 pick!! take away 2 firsts in a row and see how that flies.

finally... if money is your driving force i would trade away the wrist slap fines for cheating any day of the week for the hard cash i would receive by winning a SB.

fining the team a million dollars is absolutely nothing. especially when you consider the massive amounts of money a team gets when they play in and/or WIN a superbowl. it's spit in a hurricane.

consider just the amounts the players receive for playing in a superbowl (not to mention endorcements) and then consider the amount LOST by players who didn't cheat and never made it there this past season possibly due to the pats cheating. these are guys that had the money stolen from them by the patriot's organization. yet NFL corporate does nothing of substance to the commish's camping buddy kraft.

EDIT: brady should have been suspended for a full year without pay and had all stats for the 2014 season removed from the record books.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Asking Bears' fans if they want Cutler suspended so he can't play for a season? Even without a cheating scandal you'll still get a 50/50 response on that one.

Only 50/50 lol?

Seriously, I'd like to not see him play this season personally. That would mean either the Bears found their QB of the future on the roster, or a better one for the present and the team had the balls to make the switch. Plus, I think the 10th year as a "franchise quarterback" is too long to finally get it.

Only 50/50 lol?

Seriously, I'd like to not see him play this season personally. That would mean either the Bears found their QB of the future on the roster, or a better one for the present and the team had the balls to make the switch. Plus, I think the 10th year as a "franchise quarterback" is too long to finally get it.

I think this is his last shot, he hasn't had the luxury of having the same coach for his entire career like Eli, yet his stats aren't that much different. Once he got to the Bears, we had a great defense and he was passing to Hester and Bennett, then Knox and Bennett, then Knox and Williams in his first 3 years. We got Marshall, but then the defense tanked to 30th under Trestman and now we are here. We should have an improved defense better than last two years and weapons for him to throw to. If he can't win in these conditions, he never will.

The offensive output regardless was putrid.

I know that I have been a Cutler backer but last year how much does the Offenses struggles relate back to Trestman? He lost control of the entire team or at least the majority of the team and called some of the worst games I have ever seen.

How many weeks in a row did he come in on Monday and Tuesday saying the Bears need a better balance of run to pass and then would never run the ball?

I am done backing Cutler, I still hope that they figure out a way to limit his TO's. If they figure that out Cutler will be good QB for us.

With all the holes still left on the Bears roster when it comes to talent I am hoping Cutler proves serviceable, creating one less NEED. They still need to find a qb of the future tho as Cutler is now 31 or 32.

No argument here.

I too am basically done with him. Sure, I hope he does well, etc. I simply am expecting more of the same. Look great, then look awful at the worst possible moment.

It is time to find a successor no matter what happens this and next season.

I know that I have been a Cutler backer but last year how much does the Offenses struggles relate back to Trestman? He lost control of the entire team or at least the majority of the team and called some of the worst games I have ever seen.

How many weeks in a row did he come in on Monday and Tuesday saying the Bears need a better balance of run to pass and then would never run the ball?

I am done backing Cutler, I still hope that they figure out a way to limit his TO's. If they figure that out Cutler will be good QB for us.

With all the holes still left on the Bears roster when it comes to talent I am hoping Cutler proves serviceable, creating one less NEED. They still need to find a qb of the future tho as Cutler is now 31 or 32.

I think what will happen is they will follow the Dallas model from last season. That being take the decision making out or Cutler's hands and put it into designed plays. Was reading recently where Cutler said some of the offensive game planning under Gase is "Martz-ist" meaning he won't have as much control as he once did. Which I think will be a good thing for the team and Cutler.