Mohammed Wilkerson

Alaskan Grizzly

So while reading about Ray "dipshit" McDonalds departure from the team I started seeing commentary about the possibility of Jets DLman Mo Wilkerson being dangled as trade bait. So far the Jets have publicly said they intend to keep him but he's apparently in a contract year, holding out AND they just drafted Leonard Williams. Some of the concerns obviously are his demand for a big contract and that our team has other needs than just DL. But... Is Wilkerson impactful enough to make a difference to the new defense that Fangio is working to implement? And could Martellus Bennett being offered in a trade to the Jets sweeten the deal?

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/24778...n=chicago-bears

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/05/j...me_as_they.html

So while reading about Ray "dipshit" McDonalds departure from the team I started seeing commentary about the possibility of Jets DLman Mo Wilkerson being dangled as trade bait. So far the Jets have publicly said they intend to keep him but he's apparently in a contract year, holding out AND they just drafted Leonard Williams. Some of the concerns obviously are his demand for a big contract and that our team has other needs than just DL. But... Is Wilkerson impactful enough to make a difference to the new defense that Fangio is working to implement? And could Martellus Bennett being offered in a trade to the Jets sweeten the deal?

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/24778...n=chicago-bears

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/05/j...me_as_they.html

Unless Marty B is a locker room cancer, I want him here. My thoughts are that he is ok, otherwise he would already be gone.

My thoughts are that he is ok, otherwise he would already be gone.

Although one has to ask why would the team be stockpiling so many TE's? (6 at last count?)

And isn't he (Bennett) indicating that he's more interested in getting a contract renewal than show up for practice? (article below) I mean if Forte can show up while his contract is being mulled over, why can't Marty?

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/...ase-unhappy.htm

Although one has to ask why would the team be stockpiling so many TE's? (6 at last count?)

And isn't he (Bennett) indicating that he's more interested in getting a contract renewal than show up for practice? (article below) I mean if Forte can show up while his contract is being mulled over, why can't Marty?

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/...ase-unhappy.htm

Fact is B. wants a new contract but still has two years on current deal that is not for small change. He has no leverage, he will be around when he cant get what he wants given to him. When training camp starts he gets fined and money comes out of his pocket. We dont have the money to throw at Wilks with out getting rid of some contracts, simply wont happen.

we have 8 TEs on the roster because we need a competent backup. Hopefully one or two sticks out.

If it's a straight up trade of Wilkerson for Bennett I'd make that deal in a heart beat. I'll figure out the money one way or another. Forte is open to a new deal that lowers his cap hit. Not sure how much lower but there is a few million potential there. Losing Bennett takes another $3.8mil off the books in 2015 and $6mil in 2016. Figure Jared Allen is gone next year but even if he is around we have $41mil in cap space for 2016. Without Allen add another $8.5mil in cap space. FWIW I doubt we'll be paying Tim Jennings $5.7mil in 2016. Willie Young might not fit in the new scheme so if cut in 2016 he frees up another $2.5mil. Without too much effort we'll have almost $60mil in cap space for 2016 and we can fit in Wilkerson along with Jeffrey and Kyle Long new contracts.

The highest 3-4DT contracts are Cofield $6mil/yr and Paea $5.2mil/year both on the Redskins. If you start looking at 4-3 DTs then we're talking $10-13mil (leave out Suh of course). Wilkerson is going to slot in somewhere between those two groups and it might be a perfect swap for Allen's cap hit in 2016.

I don't want to lose Marty but Wilkerson is a game changing interior Dlineman and I value that more than a good TE. In other words, although they play different positions, I think Wilkerson has more impact on a game than Bennett.

If it's a straight up trade of Wilkerson for Bennett I'd make that deal in a heart beat. I'll figure out the money one way or another. Forte is open to a new deal that lowers his cap hit. Not sure how much lower but there is a few million potential there. Losing Bennett takes another $3.8mil off the books in 2015 and $6mil in 2016. Figure Jared Allen is gone next year but even if he is around we have $41mil in cap space for 2016. Without Allen add another $8.5mil in cap space. FWIW I doubt we'll be paying Tim Jennings $5.7mil in 2016. Willie Young might not fit in the new scheme so if cut in 2016 he frees up another $2.5mil. Without too much effort we'll have almost $60mil in cap space for 2016 and we can fit in Wilkerson along with Jeffrey and Kyle Long new contracts.

The highest 3-4DT contracts are Cofield $6mil/yr and Paea $5.2mil/year both on the Redskins. If you start looking at 4-3 DTs then we're talking $10-13mil (leave out Suh of course). Wilkerson is going to slot in somewhere between those two groups and it might be a perfect swap for Allen's cap hit in 2016.

I don't want to lose Marty but Wilkerson is a game changing interior Dlineman and I value that more than a good TE. In other words, although they play different positions, I think Wilkerson has more impact on a game than Bennett.

Agreed. And if the team is big on character as much as they are touting, this hold out etc doesn't play favorably towards Bennett's court. Add in his antics from last year (have to believe that was only the tip of the iceberg) and I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone (or not playing because he's holding out) before the season starts.

I'll admit I don't know a lot about Wilkerson but have to believe that given his want for more money he's close to worth that. And as you pointed out, with the lack of playmakers on the defensive side (compared to what the offense has) he would appear to add to the potential star power.