Jared Allen on PFT

madlithuanian

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/...-to-linebacker/

Jared Allen “having fun” with move to linebacker

Posted by Josh Alper on June 3, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT

Jared Allen

AP

When Jared Allen was with the Vikings, he balked at the idea of moving from defensive end to outside linebacker.

On Wednesday, Allen chalked that up to “ignorance” while discussing the very same transition that he’s making with the Bears this offseason. Allen said that he thinks he’ll be doing the same kinds of things at his new spot, but that playing linebacker will be “easier on my body.”

“My body feels fresher because I’m not banging every single day and putting my hands on a 300-plus pounder and banging heads and that kind of stuff,” Allen said, via ESPN.com. “I like it because it is testing my football IQ. I’ve always loved the game and have always been a student of the game. Sometimes it can get monotonous and you play the same thing over and over and see the same blocks over and over. You have to work really hard at not getting complacent with your technique. This is a totally different thought process for me and it’s really forcing me to study. I’m having fun with it. I know it’s just OTAs, but being out there and seeing the one-on-one matchups that I’ve been able to create and the rush angles I’ve been able to create, so it’s kind of broadening my perspective on football. For me it’s been a blast and I’m just excited to keep going.”

Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio has shared his opinion that the move will serve as a “rebirth” after a career-low 5.5 sacks in 2014 and it certainly seems to have sparked something in Allen this offseason. As Allen, who also battle pneumonia last season, pointed out, though, it’s just OTAs and he’ll have to prove that a break from monotony is enough to refill a tank that looked empty too often last season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/...-to-linebacker/

Jared Allen “having fun” with move to linebacker

Posted by Josh Alper on June 3, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT

Jared Allen

AP

When Jared Allen was with the Vikings, he balked at the idea of moving from defensive end to outside linebacker.

On Wednesday, Allen chalked that up to “ignorance” while discussing the very same transition that he’s making with the Bears this offseason. Allen said that he thinks he’ll be doing the same kinds of things at his new spot, but that playing linebacker will be “easier on my body.”

“My body feels fresher because I’m not banging every single day and putting my hands on a 300-plus pounder and banging heads and that kind of stuff,” Allen said, via ESPN.com. “I like it because it is testing my football IQ. I’ve always loved the game and have always been a student of the game. Sometimes it can get monotonous and you play the same thing over and over and see the same blocks over and over. You have to work really hard at not getting complacent with your technique. This is a totally different thought process for me and it’s really forcing me to study. I’m having fun with it. I know it’s just OTAs, but being out there and seeing the one-on-one matchups that I’ve been able to create and the rush angles I’ve been able to create, so it’s kind of broadening my perspective on football. For me it’s been a blast and I’m just excited to keep going.”

Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio has shared his opinion that the move will serve as a “rebirth” after a career-low 5.5 sacks in 2014 and it certainly seems to have sparked something in Allen this offseason. As Allen, who also battle pneumonia last season, pointed out, though, it’s just OTAs and he’ll have to prove that a break from monotony is enough to refill a tank that looked empty too often last season.

I say this is a good thing. Jared obviously realizes he's at the twilight of his career. He recognizing a change can probably help him is a good sign of a leader. Wish that Peanut could have done that with a move to Safety.

I recall him saying earlier this year that he still didn't like the idea of the change. Apparently Fangio was able to get through to him and convince him this was a good idea. He doesn't need to look far to see someone else, Julius Peppers, having success making a similar transition.

I say this is a good thing. Jared obviously realizes he's at the twilight of his career. He recognizing a change can probably help him is a good sign of a leader. Wish that Peanut could have done that with a move to Safety.

I recall him saying earlier this year that he still didn't like the idea of the change. Apparently Fangio was able to get through to him and convince him this was a good idea. He doesn't need to look far to see someone else, Julius Peppers, having success making a similar transition.

I hope Allen does well or better, but until I see it I am holding back. Lots of Bear propaganda on Allen and McClellin, can they beat the odds of showing success?

As for Tillman moving to S, I am uncertain that would have extended his career. Safeties take as much or more abuse. They get into bigger collisions and I think that was one reason Tillman declined.

I hope Allen does well or better, but until I see it I am holding back. Lots of Bear propaganda on Allen and McClellin, can they beat the odds of showing success?

As for Tillman moving to S, I am uncertain that would have extended his career. Safeties take as much or more abuse. They get into bigger collisions and I think that was one reason Tillman declined.

I this k Tillman will be an amazing corner this year. He showed no signs of slowing down and his injury was to his arm. His legs will be well rested and ready to go. I'll put money on his PFF rating being higher than any of the bears corners next year, even if I don't buy their stats.