Just Wondering About Defense.

lemonej

If on opening day 1st down the DL is Ferguson, Goldman and Ratliff, is that a bad thing? Your LBs McPhee, Allen, Foster and Jones. Jennings, Fuller, Rolle and Mundy the DBs.

Probably not(?). Man it's hard to tell this early. I'd like to think both Willie Young and Jon Bostic figure in the equation some how. And Houston? Looks like he might be lost in the shuffle? Not that I'm bad with it.... I do like the backfield. Something tells me Amos is going to work his way in at some point.

I don't think it's bad but we're projecting quite a bit of improvement from Ferguson and Goldman is a complete unknown. Plus which Jared Allen are we getting and will he really adapt well to the new role early in the season? Behind them we have two new MLB who are completely new to the scheme. I actually worry less about the DBs because Fuller will be fine on the outside, likely Jennings too. Rolle will be what he has always been and Mundy was solid last year.

Will Willie be ready to play after injury early? I've not heard anything recently...

Probably not(?). Man it's hard to tell this early. I'd like to think both Willie Young and Jon Bostic figure in the equation some how. And Houston? Looks like he might be lost in the shuffle? Not that I'm bad with it.... I do like the backfield. Something tells me Amos is going to work his way in at some point.

I actually worry less about the DBs because Fuller will be fine on the outside, likely Jennings too. Rolle will be what he has always been and Mundy was solid last year.

I'm actually excited to see Rolle and Mundy reunited this year in the backfield. I have the same anticipation this year as I did last year when they signed Willie Young. There was something mysterious about him that he was overlooked in his role with the Lions that when he came to Chicago he shined. So too with these guys. Where actually they had a pretty decent time together while with the Giants but not enough that other teams were clamoring for their combined services. I think this duo will even prove Terra Tor satisfied at the safety spots for next season. Or is that asking for too much? ;)

If on opening day 1st down the DL is Ferguson, Goldman and Ratliff, is that a bad thing? Your LBs McPhee, Allen, Foster and Jones. Jennings, Fuller, Rolle and Mundy the DBs.

This proposal is why I'm not elated with the defensive prospects yet.

Houston?

Young?

Allen?

Bostic?

That's a lot of talent sitting in the back seat.

Houston?

Young?

Allen?

Bostic?

I really don't see the problem with there be some strong competition.

As for the D, it looked a whole lot better with McDonald, but I like Ego a bit. I really think, barring injury, they could be in the top half of the league.

Houston?

Young?

Allen?

Bostic?

He listed Allen after McPhee, and I can see Houston rotating in all over the front 7. Young, if healthy can spell either OLB, and Bostic is good depth inside with SMC. To me that is good to have that rotational depth.

Will Willie be ready to play after injury early? I've not heard anything recently...

Willie will return to action at some point this season but I don't see anyway he will be the same player this season. That injury is very tough to come back from quickly. We'll hang onto him for now but I'd say he's very likely to start the season on the PUP list. If we have found some good backup players at OLB by that time he might not ever see the field with the Bears again. Finding quality depth on a roster still searching for quality starters isn't likely so he should have a good chance to play for us in the 2nd half of the season. I hope he hangs on because I really like how he plays the game but he's was limited in what he could do in the pass rush and that won't be better coming back from this injury.

Willie will return to action at some point this season but I don't see anyway he will be the same player this season. That injury is very tough to come back from quickly. We'll hang onto him for now but I'd say he's very likely to start the season on the PUP list. If we have found some good backup players at OLB by that time he might not ever see the field with the Bears again. Finding quality depth on a roster still searching for quality starters isn't likely so he should have a good chance to play for us in the 2nd half of the season. I hope he hangs on because I really like how he plays the game but he's was limited in what he could do in the pass rush and that won't be better coming back from this injury.

I fear with the time it takes from coming back from this injury that he will be lost in transition.If he's not ready for the start of the season then probably the PUP list and then poof he just wont be around anymore to get fit in the system.

Honestly, these days it seems like NFL players can come back from anything and still be good players.

John Fox has already called Young "Week to Week" so I'm guessing he could be ready to go in a month or 2.

The "problem" could be he's obviously behind McPhee, but could also be behind Houston and Allen. I put problem in quotes becaause its really only a problem for him. If Houston and Allen play better I don't see the problem from the Bears.

One thing I'm really hoping for is that Christian Jones enters his name into the OLB discussion as well. If the reports of the staff liking SMC at ILB are true then Jones might not have a spot there. I think Jones could be that speed guy off the edge.

Honestly, these days it seems like NFL players can come back from anything and still be good players.

John Fox has already called Young "Week to Week" so I'm guessing he could be ready to go in a month or 2.

The "problem" could be he's obviously behind McPhee, but could also be behind Houston and Allen. I put problem in quotes becaause its really only a problem for him. If Houston and Allen play better I don't see the problem from the Bears.

One thing I'm really hoping for is that Christian Jones enters his name into the OLB discussion as well. If the reports of the staff liking SMC at ILB are true then Jones might not have a spot there. I think Jones could be that speed guy off the edge.

Its going to be interesting how it all shakes out, there are a lot of hopefuls for 4 spots, hopefully they all ascend and we have a different kind of problem,to many good players. McPhee, Foster, I think are locks to be most snaps, then I think Jones passes Bostic on depth spot. Not much said about Bostic all pre season, think he may be facing some problems seeing the field.