INfo on Pace

madlithuanian

Yes, I got the wrong link too. I don't even like Potash's top 5.

1) Kyle Long is far from one of my top people to watch perform in camp. I think the battle for our starting Center position is more important to our future Oline success than Kyle Long.

2) Neither is Martellus Bennett although I suspect he knows he won't get away with pushing around his new OC and HC as he did with Trestman before he eventually took it too far and got himself suspended from camp. Desperately seeking $$$ from the new GM he will be out to impress early and often this season.

3) SMC definitely is one to watch, but really it's the competition for both ILB positions.

4) Potash lists Jared Allen as one to watch. However, we have already been told Allen is a part-time player and I think in this role he'll do well for us and will likely be used on passing downs. I'm more curious who ends up earning the rest of the snaps on that side, and how well they are playing. Is it Houston? Acho? Depth at OLB is a concern for this roster.

5) John Bostic....part of the battle for ILB and I'm not optimistic about him.

More important than Bostic's status is who ends up at the CB spot opposite Fuller. We spent $3mil on Alan Ball and he hasn't been healthy enough to do anything all offseason. We don't even know if he's ready to practice when camp starts. I don't even know what his injury was/is. Rarely does a $3mil acquisition in the offseason fly under the radar that well and that's not exactly the warm fuzzy feeling you want after spending that money.

Thanks for fixing the link. Great article on Pace with good insight into how he is running the organization. While it sounds like he's able to capture the human element to running an organization I like the fact that he hasn't lost sight of the accountability aspect. Accountability side isn't covered much in that article but it's in his words every time he has a press conference. I think accountability is, in part, where Trestman failed. With Trestman there was a whole lot of nothing nothing nothing then something big like a suspension of Martellus Bennett from camp for several days. Ultimately it will be talent evaluation where he succeeds or fails but he at least knows he must have the scouting side of the organization in lock step with the coaching side. I like his first draft and his first foray into FA which wasn't spectacular by any means but also didn't put the team into a bad spot with the cap in future years. No desperation here.

I'm pretty much lock-step with your assessment.

Thanks for fixing the link. Great article on Pace with good insight into how he is running the organization. While it sounds like he's able to capture the human element to running an organization I like the fact that he hasn't lost sight of the accountability aspect. Accountability side isn't covered much in that article but it's in his words every time he has a press conference. I think accountability is, in part, where Trestman failed. With Trestman there was a whole lot of nothing nothing nothing then something big like a suspension of Martellus Bennett from camp for several days. Ultimately it will be talent evaluation where he succeeds or fails but he at least knows he must have the scouting side of the organization in lock step with the coaching side. I like his first draft and his first foray into FA which wasn't spectacular by any means but also didn't put the team into a bad spot with the cap in future years. No desperation here.

I'm pretty much lock-step with your assessment.

Im loving everything I am hearing from the beat reporters and interviews with players and coaches. At this time of the year tho its all peaches and cream. I like what Pace is doing tho!

Anyone catch the Kyle Long interview, he said its night and day different from last year. Locker room is better then last year. The things that Long said point to the reasons BM was traded.

Unlike year past I am not buying into everything I have heard year in and year out, if the Bears look like shit the let down is too great. I am super pumped for this year, will be at every game but just not setting myself up for a huge let down.