Cutler hasn't thrown any interceptions in training camp

'TD'

Maybe a combination of both? The D is probably a little weak since they are learning a new system, but I think just about everything is in place for Cutler to have a breakout year.

1. Great coaching staff

1a. Run-heavy offensive gameplan (likely helps the defense some)

1b. Likely exploiting Cutler's mobility

1c. Proven success/experience

1d. No chance of team mutiny

2. Solid OL who will be taught how to block (even if RT might be weak, AGAIN)

3. Finally have a blend of WRs

3a. No WR security blanket (I contend Marshall may have been a negative for Cutler)

3b. A stud slot WR (never had one)

3c. An absolute burner who is actually a WR (assuming White gets healthy)

4. Diversified RBs

4a. Forte is still a stud

4b. Langford has breakout speed

4c. Rogers is a great scat-back who actually has some power

5. Still has a mismatch at TE

To me, all that says Cutler has an improved year. If he fails, it will most likely be due to bad OT play.

Maybe a combination of both? The D is probably a little weak since they are learning a new system, but I think just about everything is in place for Cutler to have a breakout year.

1. Great coaching staff

3a. No WR security blanket (I contend Marshall may have been a negative for Cutler)

4. Diversified RBs

To me, all that says Cutler has an improved year. If he fails, it will most likely be due to bad OT play.

I agree with the list of improvements except I think Jeffrey fills in for 3a quite well without the attitude.

I'm still in believe-it-when-I-see-it mode but I admit this camp has been different. Cutler himself has been completely different since the firings occurred last year. Even during that period of uncertainty he was open and honest about things in a way he never was before.

Aside from that attitude change I still think the biggest help come week 1 will be practicing against all the schemes Fangio is throwing at him versus going against a steady diet of Cover 2. That goes for entire offense, not just Cutler, because 3-4's have always challenged our already-challenged Oline. That didn't make make your list or is just part of the great coaching staff.

Speaking of coaching...Gase has a part in this as well in play calling. I think it was last week when the D crushed the offense by bringing pressure from everywhere throughout the practice. The next day the offense came out and faced a similar approach from the D but adapted and made huge plays into the big gaps the D was leaving open. I know it's practice but that kind of an adjustment (from a team that seemingly never made adjustments) caught my eye and makes me wonder if things really might be different now.

1. Great coaching staff

4. Diversified RBs

I like the list above but the fact is most defense is predicated on a serious pass rush with the threat of the QB getting clobbered. Fangio's D is no exception. Cutler tends to lose his poise when he's getting hit a lot. So, despite the fact that I'm optimistic, I want to caution everyone about getting too high on this stat in training camp.

One disagreement with Jason: If Cutler fails, it'll most likely be HIS fault, not OT.

Your guys opinion, I'll stay out of this one, on what you think is going on. Has Cutler finally got it or is the Defense weak enough in the secondary and linebacker to let him to continue on interception free after 11 days?

He's saving them all for the regular season, especially game 1. B)

Seriously, I was just thinking about this today and how it could be more the defense having issues than it is Cutler doing that well. Isn't he still practicing against #2?

And have to agree that if Cutler screws up, it's more than likely on him. Not the OL.

Everyone knows I am or was a Cutler backer but Im not buying into anything until I see it during the regular season. Trestman even tho I think sucked said it numerous times last year, Cutler looked like a pro bowler every week during practice and it never showed itself on game day.

This sounds like the preseason get pumped bullshit that comes out of camp every year.

To answer the question tho!

The biggest factors I could think off :

1. Gase - tailoring the Offense to Cutlers strong suits and calling a great game plan

2. QB Coach Cutler has wanted to work with

3. Forte, Alshon, Royal, Bennett and Oline all playing well in the system= if everyone is on the same page it makes for few mistakes

I hope its not due to the D being behind because we cant play our D every week!

I keep hearing that defense is ALWAYS ahead of defense in camps everywhere. So I think the no picks is applaud worthy.

I think he has a big year, and ill have a new Jay Pro Bowl profile picture this time next year.

You are correct in that typically the Defense is always ahead of the offense during training camp. I just wonder if the that is not the case here because the offense is used to changing scheme every year or two and this is such a huge change on the Defensive side of the ball.

The Bears have been a 4-3 based Cover two influenced Defense for about 15 years give or take a year or two. They are making a switch to the 3-4 and do not really have the personnel for it or they have some pieces of a 3-4. The offense has a lot talent to begin and could run any offense you want.

Offense:

Used to switching scheme year in and year out

Considerable advantage in amount of talent

Guys are playing their position they have played their entire career

Defense:

Drastic Scheme change

Talent level is way less then the Defense

Players are being put in new positions they have never played

I do hope you are right tho, a Jay Cutler Pro Bowl would be amazing

Could be our D is putrid...

You are correct in that typically the Defense is always ahead of the offense during training camp. I just wonder if the that is not the case here because the offense is used to changing scheme every year or two and this is such a huge change on the Defensive side of the ball.

The Bears have been a 4-3 based Cover two influenced Defense for about 15 years give or take a year or two. They are making a switch to the 3-4 and do not really have the personnel for it or they have some pieces of a 3-4. The offense has a lot talent to begin and could run any offense you want.

Offense:

Used to switching scheme year in and year out

Considerable advantage in amount of talent

Guys are playing their position they have played their entire career

Defense:

Drastic Scheme change

Talent level is way less then the Defense

Players are being put in new positions they have never played

I do hope you are right tho, a Jay Cutler Pro Bowl would be amazing

Unlike Malcom Butler's INT, most interceptions are not necessarily great plays on defense, but mistakes by the offense. So for Cutler to not have a mistake that has resulted in a turnover, you have to be pretty optimistic about that translating to the regular season. Obviously he is going to have turnovers, but even "Cutting" them in half would be huge.

The streak was ended by SMC today.

Not only that is was reportedly a great play on SMC to break on the route and reach up high to snag the ball. Bennett was lined up wide and ran an inside slant route similar to the one he had the big gain on against Miami. SMC read it and broke on the ball. Cutler said he never saw him.

Of course we'll hear that the defense should know what our offense is doing but the other side is that the offense should know what the defense is doing equally well by now. In this case I'd say it's more SMC getting more comfortable to his role and Jay was comfortable that SMC wouldn't be there so he wasn't looking.