Amos moving up

AZ54

Amos was quietly promoted to practicing with the 1st string. Vereen, after a poor showing against Miami, is back to 2nd string. It appears this will hold through the 2nd preseason game.

Jennings had a veteran day off and McManis got his snaps as the first team nickel back. That is the first time McManis has moved into that spot (with the 1st team) and sign the coaches were impressed with his play against Miami.

----------------------

I finally finished watching the Miami game and will just list some observations in no particular order.

I didn't see much from Rolle and so I'm still not impressed with him but I hope it's a just a veteran laying low until he gets through the preseason.

It seems we'll have some options among our WR corps for the last spot. I know Bellamy is currently playing as the 5th WR and he got plenty of snaps against Miami but I don't like him that much. He's not very quick nor fast and doesn't get separation easily. Some of the other players seem like they are doing well, Meredith, AJ Cruz, and Lawrence. It's hard to evaluate them when they were playing against 3rd string competition but they looked like they belong on the field and I think this competition won't be decided until late in the preseason.

Carey ran well between the tackles, his best strength with his quickness, and showed power to move the pile a couple times. I wrote him off after not hearing much the first two weeks in camp but may have spoken too soon. Rodgers appears to have secured the 2nd RB spot and looked decent. We know Langford will have a spot so again for Carey it's all about do we keep 4 RBs. For the 4th spot Carey's main competition is Daniel Thomas and Perry. Thomas looked slow and prodding and didn't impress at all. Perry had a nice long run but otherwise wasn't very quick on cuts at the LOS. Then again Perry has special teams value on his side.

I hope Cornelius Washington can improve his run defense. With his long arms he might develop into a good DE in this scheme but it will take a full year to realize that. That might be too much to ask but he shows good movement on pass rushing from that spot. He's on the bubble but did make a good impression once again on kick coverage.

Will Sutton has slimmed down and has his quickness back. He's no good as a 2-gap player and gets washed out of the plays easily but he does show some of his old 1-gap quickness and ability to get into the backfield and disrupted several plays.

Overall I didn't see much in pass rush from our starting Dline and that's a concern.

Eddie Goldman didn't do much but you can't miss him on the field and he moves better than I expected. I think it's going to take him some time to develop.

SMC and Jones cover a lot of ground. They both looked like they were a half step slow in reacting but neither seemed lost out there. Same for Foster. I focused less on Bostic. I think this entire group should gain confidence from their play against Miami and I hope we'll see a step up with more impact plays in the next game.

Kyle Fuller didn't play well enough to give me confidence he'll hold his own in man coverage.

I liked the fact we kept running the ball inside, 1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team.

Really good observations. I came away with virtually the same. However, one standout you didn't mention was Acho. Between SMC, Jones and Acho...I think we might be OK. Not great, but OK.

Daniel THomas looked about as bad as a RB could look...

Amos was quietly promoted to practicing with the 1st string. Vereen, after a poor showing against Miami, is back to 2nd string. It appears this will hold through the 2nd preseason game.

Jennings had a veteran day off and McManis got his snaps as the first team nickel back. That is the first time McManis has moved into that spot (with the 1st team) and sign the coaches were impressed with his play against Miami.

----------------------

I finally finished watching the Miami game and will just list some observations in no particular order.

I didn't see much from Rolle and so I'm still not impressed with him but I hope it's a just a veteran laying low until he gets through the preseason.

It seems we'll have some options among our WR corps for the last spot. I know Bellamy is currently playing as the 5th WR and he got plenty of snaps against Miami but I don't like him that much. He's not very quick nor fast and doesn't get separation easily. Some of the other players seem like they are doing well, Meredith, AJ Cruz, and Lawrence. It's hard to evaluate them when they were playing against 3rd string competition but they looked like they belong on the field and I think this competition won't be decided until late in the preseason.

Carey ran well between the tackles, his best strength with his quickness, and showed power to move the pile a couple times. I wrote him off after not hearing much the first two weeks in camp but may have spoken too soon. Rodgers appears to have secured the 2nd RB spot and looked decent. We know Langford will have a spot so again for Carey it's all about do we keep 4 RBs. For the 4th spot Carey's main competition is Daniel Thomas and Perry. Thomas looked slow and prodding and didn't impress at all. Perry had a nice long run but otherwise wasn't very quick on cuts at the LOS. Then again Perry has special teams value on his side.

I hope Cornelius Washington can improve his run defense. With his long arms he might develop into a good DE in this scheme but it will take a full year to realize that. That might be too much to ask but he shows good movement on pass rushing from that spot. He's on the bubble but did make a good impression once again on kick coverage.

Will Sutton has slimmed down and has his quickness back. He's no good as a 2-gap player and gets washed out of the plays easily but he does show some of his old 1-gap quickness and ability to get into the backfield and disrupted several plays.

Overall I didn't see much in pass rush from our starting Dline and that's a concern.

Eddie Goldman didn't do much but you can't miss him on the field and he moves better than I expected. I think it's going to take him some time to develop.

SMC and Jones cover a lot of ground. They both looked like they were a half step slow in reacting but neither seemed lost out there. Same for Foster. I focused less on Bostic. I think this entire group should gain confidence from their play against Miami and I hope we'll see a step up with more impact plays in the next game.

Kyle Fuller didn't play well enough to give me confidence he'll hold his own in man coverage.

I liked the fact we kept running the ball inside, 1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team.

Really good observations. I came away with virtually the same. However, one standout you didn't mention was Acho. Between SMC, Jones and Acho...I think we might be OK. Not great, but OK.

Daniel THomas looked about as bad as a RB could look...

I agree Acho looked good out there. I would like to see him against the 1's. Acho is playing OLB while SMC, Jones are ILB. I'd say Acho might be able to give us some quality rotation with Allen, McPhee, and Houston when he returns. Acho, Allen, McPhee being the better pass rushers and Houston better on run downs.

Speaking of McPhee he didn't impress me. I like his strength and movement skills but he seemed like he was trying to hard to make an impact play instead of just handling his assignment. On one play he gave up a big run by diving inside and giving up outside containment. The RB just cut outside him to a wide open field. Hopefully he'll settle down and just let plays come to him.

I hear ya...

McPhee didn't impress me either. But, given his overall experience, I'm not worried at the moment...

I agree Acho looked good out there. I would like to see him against the 1's. Acho is playing OLB while SMC, Jones are ILB. I'd say Acho might be able to give us some quality rotation with Allen, McPhee, and Houston when he returns. Acho, Allen, McPhee being the better pass rushers and Houston better on run downs.

Speaking of McPhee he didn't impress me. I like his strength and movement skills but he seemed like he was trying to hard to make an impact play instead of just handling his assignment. On one play he gave up a big run by diving inside and giving up outside containment. The RB just cut outside him to a wide open field. Hopefully he'll settle down and just let plays come to him.

Dont think one game will tell us the story, I think we will be ok with the front 7, depth on the Dline is light so hopefully no injuries.

Acho, Cruz and Amos have me watching.

I think we need to keep our expectations low and be surprised by the improvement.

I think our offense will be good, Jeffery out for the first game already and no White (probably all year) restricts my enthusiasm,

Jeffrey isn't playing in week 1?

Dont think one game will tell us the story, I think we will be ok with the front 7, depth on the Dline is light so hopefully no injuries.

Acho, Cruz and Amos have me watching.

I think we need to keep our expectations low and be surprised by the improvement.

I think our offense will be good, Jeffery out for the first game already and no White (probably all year) restricts my enthusiasm,

Being a Bellamy fan I feel compelled to disagree. Of the three other WRs you mentioned; Merdtith, Cruz and Lawrence, Lawrence was the only to have any WR stats. Cruz had some for PR be outside of that those three didn't impress THAT much more. I like Bellamy for what I saw him doing last year. Granted it may not translate to this year but as many are saying this is only Preseason game 1. Of all the current WRs on the staff though it's looking like Royal is going to be the workhorse of the group, with both White and AJ having injury issues.

And one thing I couldn't help but think when watching the D was how young the team has gotten and fast. By the time the season starts how many Rookies and 2nd year players will be starting? So far it looks like it'll be a large number.

Being a Bellamy fan I feel compelled to disagree. Of the three other WRs you mentioned; Merdtith, Cruz and Lawrence, Lawrence was the only to have any WR stats. Cruz had some for PR be outside of that those three didn't impress THAT much more. I like Bellamy for what I saw him doing last year. Granted it may not translate to this year but as many are saying this is only Preseason game 1. Of all the current WRs on the staff though it's looking like Royal is going to be the workhorse of the group, with both White and AJ having injury issues.

And one thing I couldn't help but think when watching the D was how young the team has gotten and fast. By the time the season starts how many Rookies and 2nd year players will be starting? So far it looks like it'll be a large number.

Meredith 4 for 47 yards, long of 15 yards

Lawrence 3 for 25 yards, long of 12 yards

Bellamy 3 for 15 yards, long of 5 yards

Cruz 1 for 15 yards

Too early to know much of anything on any of these guys competing with Bellamy but to me the early numbers indicate he has competition for the job. The bigger surprise in that game is that Mariani had zero catches. I thought he was on the field quite a bit and reportedly has looked good in camp running routes.

Meredith 4 for 47 yards, long of 15 yards

Lawrence 3 for 25 yards, long of 12 yards

Bellamy 3 for 15 yards, long of 5 yards

Cruz 1 for 15 yards

Too early to know much of anything on any of these guys competing with Bellamy but to me the early numbers indicate he has competition for the job. The bigger surprise in that game is that Mariani had zero catches. I thought he was on the field quite a bit and reportedly has looked good in camp running routes.

Hmm.... That's what I get for looking at the ChicagoBears.com for stats. I guess I should've suspected something was wrong when I saw T. Porter had receiving stats. (Speaking of...where was he?).

Still a fan of Bellamy. Lots of time left and need to see how these guys mesh with Cutler before its all done.

Hmm.... That's what I get for looking at the ChicagoBears.com for stats. I guess I should've suspected something was wrong when I saw T. Porter had receiving stats. (Speaking of...where was he?).

Still a fan of Bellamy. Lots of time left and need to see how these guys mesh with Cutler before its all done.

I don't think Porter played in the first game but he was back on the field in practice today so hopefully we'll see him against Indy. Right now our top CBs appear to be: 1) Fuller 2) Porter 3) McManis 4) Ball and 5) the young kid Terrence Mitchell. Al Louis-Jean hasn't looked that good.

Jennings is still in the mix as the #1 NB but hasn't done much of anything so far and I'm not sure where he fits in that list above. His lack of production so far makes it seem clear he won't be on our roster next year. This year? We'll see how much of a look McManis gets at NB this week in Indy.

Amos now a 1st stringer on the depth chart and will start alongside Rolle vs Indy:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/...st-team-safety/

What the heck happened to Mundy? He seemed to have a pretty decent year last year now (pfft) nothing. I figured with he and Rolle being reunited he'd be able to continue if not improve what he was doing last year. Alas...

So would Amos play the FS position? Given his past as a CB that would make more sense but with his size perhaps SS? Or does it really matter in a 3-4?

What the heck happened to Mundy? He seemed to have a pretty decent year last year now (pfft) nothing. I figured with he and Rolle being reunited he'd be able to continue if not improve what he was doing last year. Alas...

So would Amos play the FS position? Given his past as a CB that would make more sense but with his size perhaps SS? Or does it really matter in a 3-4?

It appears this is all about coverage skills and that is not Mundy's strength. It's not Vereen's strength either. Then again neither is tackling and Mundy is a better tackler than Vereen. Rolle hasn't done much that I've heard but I'm sure the coaches want him out there for his leadership and ability to get the DBs lined up. That will be more necessary with Amos, who only played safety one year in college, out there.

I think they like the speed Amos brings and see both Rolle and Mundy as in the box Ss. I think Rolle can play both positions, but it seems saftey is always a problem. Hopefully it starts to change.