Bears vs Colts

Bears4Ever_34

Guest TerraTor
So you're giving credence to Terra's disgust with the pick? ?

I still think it's a bit early to think he's a bust, maybe but not certainly. Could be many reasons he's lagging right now that we're not aware of. I'm sure Fangio and Fox are taking copious notes.

See....

Also starting to think Kyle Fuller might suck. Responsible for 60 yards in one play on that last TD drive. He's been getting roasted since week 6 of last year. Another gem by Phil Emery..

Anyone else wonder why on this play Amos is going full Chris Conte and running forward to the underneath route right past Fuller and Hilton?

Couple more thoughts on the game:

- Will Sutton looks really good in a 3-4. Never thought I'd say that, but he has been causing havoc in the opposing team's backfield this pre-season so far. Him and Eddie Goldman both have been exceptionally quick off the snap. I've been really impressed with those two.

- Sam Acho has no business playing with the 2nd or 3rd team defense. That man has done enough to earn snaps with the 1st team. He has a very good combination of speed and power, and has shown a knack to cause turnovers in the first two pre-season games. Him being out there also gives the Bears more speed on the perimeter for passing downs. I was surprised when Jared Allen was listed as the starter ahead of him, given that it had been reported most of the off-season that he had been working with the 1's.

- We have really good RB depth. I have been very surprised as to how good Jaquizz Rodgers has looked thus far running primarily with the 2's in this offense. He and Kadeem Carey have flashed some quickness and agility running between the tackles. They've also shown the ability to move the pile and fall forward once they break into the 2nd level of the defense. I really hope the Bears decide to keep both of them. I think Rodgers is a lock, along with Langford and Forte, but Carey is too talented to let walk away.

- We're going to have problems at LT/RT this year. Bushrod is getting older. Mills and Ola have both proven to be useless at RT. Our best lineman is being wasted at guard. When will they move him to tackle? Bushrod played better than he did against Miami last week, but he's still a guy that you can see getting beat often against the speedier DE's.

- McLellin and Christian Jones need some work. The talk in camp so far has been about how well McLellin has played moving to ILB in this 3-4 defense, but these first two pre-season games have shown anything but that. He caught a break yesterday leaving way too much space for TY Hilton to be able to catch a slant route that would have surely gone for big yards. Luckily it was dropped. He had multiple breakdowns last week in pass defense as well. Christian Jones doesn't look comfortable in pass coverage either, and pretty much just looks like a guy out there. Hasn't flashed at all yet, but I suppose that could be expected, given that he is still learning how to play in the NFL, and at a new position.

Sidenote-- It was good to see Pernell McPhee get in on the action yesterday. He flashed his pass rushing skills in those first two defensive series.

Good update.

Regarding the Dline I was also impressed with how well Jenkins is moving around in pass rush for a guy who was supposed to be nothing more than a run stopper. Sutton continues to make plays but he needs to stay to 1-gap and just get penetration to disrupt the play which is his strong suit but agree, each week he is playing better. Haven't seen much out of Goldman yet except for the fact he doesn't get moved off the ball at all. Willie Young was out there with the 2nd string getting pressure on the QB just like he did last year. Great to see him back, I never thought he'd return to action this soon nor did I think he'd be able to rush like that so in preseason. He is one to watch because Bass seems to be fading after a fast start in camp. If Young can return to form we should have a solid rotation among OLB in terms of pass rush/run defenders.

I agree on Acho, he should be in the starting rotation. I don't think what we see (Acho 2nd string) means he won't be a start or rather part of the starting rotation. It is preseason and when competition is close coaches want to see different players against 1st string in a different games. Let's see if we go to a normal Dline rotation in the 3rd preseason game with Acho and others like Sutton getting some 1st string reps.

DS are still the weakest link on this defense but some of the backups like Mitchell and McManis are showing they can play. I'm less worried about Fuller than others but I agree he needs to play tighter in coverage.

SMC and Jones. They are in on the plays but it's all new to them and so they are a step late. I expect with more experience we will start seeing more plays near the LOS. We also aren't seeing a lot from ILB blitzes, at least nothing like the reports I heard during camp. It seems that is being kept under wraps until week 1. I don't see much difference with Foster out there either except he's not as fast getting to the edge. Bostic is still slow as he works his way back from his injury.

RB clearly is Forte, Rodgers, Langford. Carey has done well running inside and moves the pile. I am less impressed with Perry. He just doesn't have the lateral movement at the LOS to find the hole. He has special teams value but Langford can replace that. With Mariani appearing to be locked in as our returner do we keep Perry around for special teams over Carey?

WR impressed me this game. Wilson is now injured but I suspect not too badly or he wouldn't have returned to the game and ran so well after the initial hamstring injury. Losing time in the 3rd preseason game will hurt Cutler's timing with him. Really it was the 4-6 WRs that impressed. Bellamy looked good as did Meredith. Each week Meredith looks more like he belongs out there but it's hard to say how much he understands the playbook. I see Meredith as a strong candidate for the practice squad.

I know it's preseason so we need to temper our thoughts both good and bad but seeing so many WRs contribute like this is not normal for the Bears, even in the preseason. That has me thinking that the real positive in all this is the scheme and the coordinator setting up plays that get guys open and are easy reads for the QBs. Like all things in the NFL, once teams figure out what you are doing it no longer looks so good. It's about seeing if we can come back with a counter punch and still scheme guys open later in the season when it counts. Then again this was the Colts team that practiced against our offense for 2 days before this game so they knew what was coming and Bellamy was out there with the 1's. Even missing 2 of 3 top targets Cutler seemed comfortable out there and that wasn't the case last year when our backup WRs filled in. I'll just say that Gase has piqued my interest in seeing what he can do.

I'll give Leno a break at RT. He been played at LT all camp until this week. It's a big change with the footwork. Regardless of who we put out there OT is the weakness of the Offense. I do not want to see Long moved outside. I like what we are starting to find with our inside running game. If we continue to build on that it will help temper the outside pass rush except of course on obvious passing downs. I don't think we'll be nearly as effective running inside if we move Long outside.

I don't know how any Bears fan could watch this game against Indy and not be encouraged. There are definite areas where improvement is needed but at least, unlike last year, they looked professional. Much better pass rush and special teams. Leno was BAD and our secondary needs work. RB looks deep and Bennett is still going to be a top TE. A balanced attack will keep opposing D's honest which will help our suspect OL and Jay. Better pressure on the opposing QB will help our secondary. I still say this is a borderline 500 team due to our brutal schedule but a W or 2 worse or better wouldn't surprise me either.

We'll know more next week. I do wish we had some healthy WR's on this team...

After watching the starters play against the Colts I will agree with you I am very encouraged. They looked Professional this is something that was lost last year with the old staff. Great point.

Last year was such a shit show (actually was embarrassing), I cant see the same thing happening with this staff.

I have watched the first half, overall, I was happy.

I am not expecting Super Bowl this year, and so anything better than last years embarrassment will do well with .

I feel we might just be 8-8 at worst, with a lot of upside after the season.

First year coaches and new schemes cannot make miracles, but improvement is what I am looking for.

Overall, I am encouraged.

Foster should be a starter.

Acho should be a starter.

Cutler looks really good ( DID Y'ALL SEE HIM ROLL OUT?!?!)

RBs are real deep, which is why we really didn't need to draft Langford.

Need RT help pretty badly. By the time we get a new one, we will probably need a LT. And so on. Hopefully Mills turns it around and doesn't destroy the offense, or Cutler.

Not sure why, but Sam Acho is not dressing tonight vs Cincinnati. This is pretty much the final dress rehearsal for starters or bubble starters. Acho should still be a lock, but I don't see him starting week 1.

Foster should be a starter.

Acho should be a starter.

Cutler looks really good ( DID Y'ALL SEE HIM ROLL OUT?!?!)

RBs are real deep, which is why we really didn't need to draft Langford.

Need RT help pretty badly. By the time we get a new one, we will probably need a LT. And so on. Hopefully Mills turns it around and doesn't destroy the offense, or Cutler.

Agree with most. Not sure why you'd think Foster should start. SMC and Jones seem to be doing fine. Agree wholeheartedly with Acho (by the by probably off tonight to rest - he's not exactly a spring chicken and he's more than proven himself so far). Cutler rolls out and nearly gets his head lopped off. Only to be called back by and Oline penalty...

Trying to figure out this Langford phenom. Keep hearing he looks great but I must be missing something. He looks average. Rodgers looks to me more like the change of pace back as he handles the N/S running better.

Not sure why, but Sam Acho is not dressing tonight vs Cincinnati. This is pretty much the final dress rehearsal for starters or bubble starters. Acho should still be a lock, but I don't see him starting week 1.

For the first time I can recall there are teams who have stated they are playing NO starters in game 3 of preseason. I know I saw this mentioned on NFL.com but cannot find it now, of course, LOL.

I think it is wise for teams who are not installing new systems.

Too many injuries this preseason. Teams need to play it safe.

I suspect the Bears are satisfied with Acho, do not want to risk injury, and will give others a shot to make the roster.

I would prefer to see a lot of "bubble players" tonight and not risk any more injuries to starters prior to the start of the season.

Just my take.

For the first time I can recall there are teams who have stated they are playing NO starters in game 3 of preseason. I know I saw this mentioned on NFL.com but cannot find it now, of course, LOL.

I think it is wise for teams who are not installing new systems.

Too many injuries this preseason. Teams need to play it safe.

I suspect the Bears are satisfied with Acho, do not want to risk injury, and will give others a shot to make the roster.

I would prefer to see a lot of "bubble players" tonight and not risk any more injuries to starters prior to the start of the season.

Just my take.

I agree and think he is a lock on the roster. I just thought he would get a look with the first string. He will be a solid #2 and ST guy.