Bears trade a 6th round pick for Khari Lee (Texans TE)

Bears4Ever_34

2 days in a row now the Bears have added a TE.

Former basketball player who looks mildly interesting as a project. Gase has had success with Julius Thomas who wasn't highly though of coming out of the draft.

With them giving up a draft pick for him, albeit a 6th rounder in 2017, I would say there's a good chance he makes the team.

Texans fans like him. Seeing tweets like "smh he was our best TE" "Dude has huge upside" "we don't know if the 6th rounder can play, we know Lee can" "dude is gonna be good in a few years".

People look too much into the whole UDFA thing.

This smells of that last TE project we had from the last regime. He was supposed to be some possible prodigy bball player with very little football experience. Can't recall his name and remember it being an unusual name but have to ask "where is he now?" I also want to say Lemon liked him because he was tall.

This smells of that last TE project we had from the last regime. He was supposed to be some possible prodigy bball player with very little football experience. Can't recall his name and remember it being an unusual name but have to ask "where is he now?" I also want to say Lemon liked him because he was tall.

Good ol Fendi Onobun.

He very well could be. Who knows, but for a 6th round pick 2 years from now, he seems like a player worth taking a risk on.

Let's see what a legit coaching staff can do for projects...

After this season, we'll have some idea. After next, we'll have a really good idea.

Athletic TE with good hands. He's not that fast but he has very good agility in the open field to make the tough catch as seen on that one-handed grab in the highlight SCS provided. Here again he adjusts to a pass behind him for a 23 yd gain. We've been looking for a 2nd receiving threat opposite Bennett and nobody has stepped up in camp.

Lee has also been playing special teams for Texans so Bears already have film of him and know if he can contribute in that aspect. I would assume he can since we made the trade.

Maybe moving Long to tackle changes some of our run playbook philosophy and the need for another solid run blocking TE changed. This late, maybe they picked up two guys to compete for that position.

If he has shown potential at being a run blocker, then that could be a reason. They could be making the move to running more in general, due to White's injury and a potentially worse than known injury of Jefferey.

I think it could show an intention to move Bennett at the end of the year if not sooner. They did express wanting to get younger to Jennings when they cut him. The team likely won't be competing this year, and Bennett has not bit his tongue since he joined the team. Really, it could be a combination of those things or Pace just seeing something he liked in the preseaon.

I don't like it, but I'm not going to hang the team over getting rid of a 6th round pick. I just do that when they gain the value of a 6th round pick for a top WR 10-15 WR.

According to trade value, a pick two years out is equal to one round lower (i.e. A sixth round pick in 2017 now is the value of a 7th round pick in 2016.

Peace :dabears

Yea, I understand trade value. However, The Bears are a rebuilding team and when 2017 comes around the team will be short likely a very high 6th round pick that they could use.

You're right, the trade value is a 7th, but the pick will likely be a top 10 pick in the 6th.

Yea, I understand trade value. However, The Bears are a rebuilding team and when 2017 comes around the team will be short likely a very high 6th round pick that they could use.

You're right, the trade value is a 7th, but the pick will likely be a top 10 pick in the 6th.

You think two drafts from now, we'll be drafting top 10? I sincerely hope and believe you are wrong.

You think two drafts from now, we'll be drafting top 10? I sincerely hope and believe you are wrong.

I wrote a big reply, but who wants to read all that. To sum it up, I think the Bears need 13 starters. It could be possibly more, possibly less. I can elaborate more if you want. The following needs are either based on holes now or holes after this year due to age or leaving players.

1 QB, 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 OL, 3 DL/LB, 2 CB, 2S

I'm not saying the Bears need to fill all of those positions to get out of the bottom 10, I just don't think they will be able to fill enough in the off season. I could see the team being more competitive again in maybe the 2017 or 2018 season. The number 11th pick was 7-9 this year.