Great read about Gase

Chitownhustla

I said it and a lot of others said it, the Bears were way to predictable last year. I remember being at the games calling out plays before the snap. I was drunk to boot.

http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/bears-mart...ense-empowering

From the article :

“At first [the Trestman offense] was difficult to learn but after you got it, it pretty much was what it was, no changes week to week,” Bennett said. “We ran the same offense no matter what… . Last year we ran the same stuff no matter what. It was predictable. If it was third down and the down-and-distance was something, I could call a play before it came in.

I said it and a lot of others said it, the Bears were way to predictable last year. I remember being at the games calling out plays before the snap. I was drunk to boot.

From the article :

“At first [the Trestman offense] was difficult to learn but after you got it, it pretty much was what it was, no changes week to week,” Bennett said. “We ran the same offense no matter what… . Last year we ran the same stuff no matter what. It was predictable. If it was third down and the down-and-distance was something, I could call a play before it came in.

I remember hearing from multiple players on opposing defenses last year, that they all knew what the Bears were running. Trestman was a joke as a head coach. That said, our talent levels are bad but I feel bad for everyone that had to play with that excuse for X's and O's. It will be interesting to see how he does as a pure OC (as he is very intelligent), I just think in the NFL with all the footage, people are smarter and better prepared and you need to disguise and adjust much quicker then when he was last in the league.

I remember hearing from multiple players on opposing defenses last year, that they all knew what the Bears were running. Trestman was a joke as a head coach. That said, our talent levels are bad but I feel bad for everyone that had to play with that excuse for X's and O's. It will be interesting to see how he does as a pure OC (as he is very intelligent), I just think in the NFL with all the footage, people are smarter and better prepared and you need to disguise and adjust much quicker then when he was last in the league.

I get that the talent level is not where it needs to be but with the Offenses talent last year look how bad the coaching effected the offenses production. Can the same be said for the D.

Lots of guys on here were not happy with Tucker being hired to be the DC. Our Sp Team coach sucked too.

Maybe Im just trying to get myself pumped up for this year but I think the Bears could be better then expected with this Coaching staff.

I get that the talent level is not where it needs to be but with the Offenses talent last year look how bad the coaching effected the offenses production. Can the same be said for the D.

Lots of guys on here were not happy with Tucker being hired to be the DC. Our Sp Team coach sucked too.

Maybe Im just trying to get myself pumped up for this year but I think the Bears could be better then expected with this Coaching staff.

No you are good...I could have called a better game than Tucker and Trestman did last year

From the article :

Wow, that is exactly what all of us were saying all year. Every game was soooo predictable, every play, every series. Crazy.

Have fun with that Baltimore, lol.

I don't think we have the talent to be playoff material this year, but I think we are going to exceed most expectation of 5 or 6 wins. I am figuring in the 7 to 9 range with improvements in all phases of the game.

Well, first off we're first and foremost fans on here. So we should be a little pumped going into the season, even if we're a tad unrealistic.

Second, I think you're right. Look, with all of Cutler's problems and the shitty coaching we had here, he still threw for almost 4,000 yards and that's with sitting out a game, being dinged up, etc. And Forte put up almost 2,000 yard of offense himself! Sure, the OL is still a concern but a creative offense, better D and ST's (and you can't get much worse than what we've seen here the last two years in those categories) and you could see this team be competitive with better field position and ball possession.

Obviously Jay needs to minimize the mistakes which we'll just have to see if he's capable of doing. The preseason was somewhat promising on this aspect. And being a Bears fan for as long as I have, I remember teams with less talent than this one appears to have still grind it out game after game and be 500ish. With more explosiveness in the passing games than those teams, a defensive genius as DC and a group of RB's we should be able to rotate and keep fresh, you're damn right I'm optimistic.

On Sunday we find out what we've really got in this year's Bears.

Well, first off we're first and foremost fans on here. So we should be a little pumped going into the season, even if we're a tad unrealistic.

Second, I think you're right. Look, with all of Cutler's problems and the shitty coaching we had here, he still threw for almost 4,000 yards and that's with sitting out a game, being dinged up, etc. And Forte put up almost 2,000 yard of offense himself! Sure, the OL is still a concern but a creative offense, better D and ST's (and you can't get much worse than what we've seen here the last two years in those categories) and you could see this team be competitive with better field position and ball possession.

Obviously Jay needs to minimize the mistakes which we'll just have to see if he's capable of doing. The preseason was somewhat promising on this aspect. And being a Bears fan for as long as I have, I remember teams with less talent than this one appears to have still grind it out game after game and be 500ish. With more explosiveness in the passing games than those teams, a defensive genius as DC and a group of RB's we should be able to rotate and keep fresh, you're damn right I'm optimistic.

On Sunday we find out what we've really got in this year's Bears.

I agree with this post; it is so hard to judge this years Bears, but well, as a fan, one can only hope for the best.

It helps to have Jordy out, it is Fox's first game and at home......we have some weapons and who knows?

The only person picking a Bears W on ESPN is Ditka...

But I am going to be hoping for great things....

Bennett said gase fits his system around the players strengths. That's kind of what we saw during the preseason. Now granted it was preseason but the play calling did seem to be doing just that. Rolling Jay out of the pocket and instead of constantly staying in the pocket to get killed. I'm hopeful for a good offense where Jay "finally" gets things going and limits the turnovers. Still don't think it's going to be a top 5 offense because of the oline but who knows. I'm at least optimistic there. Not so much of the D because of the lack of talent

Bennett said gase fits his system around the players strengths. That's kind of what we saw during the preseason. Now granted it was preseason but the play calling did seem to be doing just that. Rolling Jay out of the pocket and instead of constantly staying in the pocket to get killed. I'm hopeful for a good offense where Jay "finally" gets things going and limits the turnovers. Still don't think it's going to be a top 5 offense because of the oline but who knows. I'm at least optimistic there. Not so much of the D because of the lack of talent

Last season I couldn't believe how bad we were with the talent on the O. We knew the D would be bad, I didn't think that bad tho. Everything I have heard about the last year confirms what the BIGGEST problem was. Pace brought in a great staff.

I wish White was not injured because I would really be excited about our WR corp. We all know what we have with Forte, I like Langford, he was a beast in college.

I wonder if they kept Long at OG for the preseason to give GB the least amount of info heading into week one.

Maybe our Oline wont be too bad with Long at RT.

I will admit I have been pretty down on this upcoming year but Im glad to hear others thinking positive. You never know the ball may bounce our way this year.

We are sure due!!!

What is interesting about Cutler's stats is that there is an indication (especially against GB) that the scheme/coaches have had an impact on him.

Against GB from 2009-2012: 205 yds/game, 121-223, 54.6%, 8 TD, 16 INT

Against GB from 2013-2014: 251 yds/game, 59-95, 62.1%, 5 TD, 5 INT

That to me is a pretty significant difference. Completion % is way up, TD's are up, and INTs are way down, and there is still room for improvement.

So to me, with Gase, I think Cutler can put up even better numbers, even if it is only a few percentage pts on the completion percentage and a couple of less picks.

What is interesting about Cutler's stats is that there is an indication (especially against GB) that the scheme/coaches have had an impact on him.

Against GB from 2009-2012: 205 yds/game, 121-223, 54.6%, 8 TD, 16 INT

Against GB from 2013-2014: 251 yds/game, 59-95, 62.1%, 5 TD, 5 INT

That to me is a pretty significant difference. Completion % is way up, TD's are up, and INTs are way down, and there is still room for improvement.

So to me, with Gase, I think Cutler can put up even better numbers, even if it is only a few percentage pts on the completion percentage and a couple of less picks.

2009 - 2012 Cutler dealt with a combo of scheme/ poor oline play / no weapons

2012 and after they started adding weapons and got better oline play

I think you are right, Gase can get more out of him as long as the unit plays together and everyone is on the same page.

2009 - 2012 Cutler dealt with a combo of scheme/ poor oline play / no weapons

2012 and after they started adding weapons and got better oline play

I think you are right, Gase can get more out of him as long as the unit plays together and everyone is on the same page.

I dont see anyway we win on sunday and Im an optimist. What I want to see is a more physical game and actually get some people to make tackles instead of missing them. I think if we're competitive and dont give up 50 points.

Green Bay is more talent laden than we are, it will take 3 years for us to be knocking on the door of the playoffs, but that doesnt mean I cant be excited to see some young players grow into good football players and for us to not be an embarrassment on the field.

If you dont have expectations you wont have disappointments.

Maybe they surprise up and win a few games I didnt expect, but even 8-8 seems like a reach at this point. I would like to be wrong.

For some reason I can't recall any defense Tucker called in the last 2 years.

Yep......there was no defense to speak of.....GB 38-17 and 55-14......... Fangio alone should better that score. The big question mark on D is the Secondary which is not the area you want questioning going against Rodgers.

The only shot the D has is pressuring the shit out of Rodgers. If the front 7 can contain Lacy and the front 4 get to Rodgers the Bears will have a chance.

I dont see anyway we win on sunday and Im an optimist. What I want to see is a more physical game and actually get some people to make tackles instead of missing them. I think if we're competitive and dont give up 50 points.

Green Bay is more talent laden than we are, it will take 3 years for us to be knocking on the door of the playoffs, but that doesnt mean I cant be excited to see some young players grow into good football players and for us to not be an embarrassment on the field.

If you dont have expectations you wont have disappointments.

Maybe they surprise up and win a few games I didnt expect, but even 8-8 seems like a reach at this point. I would like to be wrong.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I think you are giving Green Bay too much credit. I still think the loss of Nelson and Cobb (one good shot to the shoulder from being out) are going to limit them offensively. Green Bay averages about 10 drives a game, and they score on about 5 of them. If we can limit them on 2 of those to take less points or not score at all, we can make it a game.

We were brutal last year in areas that basically compounded on themselves. First our Special Teams sucked and spent most of the year near the bottom in terms of average starting LoS. We also gave the opponents great starting position which put our defense at a disadvantage. With improved Special Teams play, those negative factors are negated. So now we can at least start at on an even playing field and possibly slightly better one. That allows the offense to control the clock better and play a field position/time of possession game.

So it may not be enough to win or finish above .500, but I think we will be competitive and in almost every game all year which bodes well for the future.