Thoughts after week one

Chitownhustla

The Bears currently ranked 25th in the power rankings played the 3rd ranked Packers who were very close to playing in the Super Bowl 8 months ago.

New Staff, New Scheme's and some new players!

Last year the Bears got embarrassed by the Packers twice.

Leading up to this game I was not very excited due to how BAD the Bears were last year. After watching the game I am very excited about the direction of this team.

1. We were leading at half......Holy crap.

2. They ran the shit about of the ball..........amazing, I loved it.

3. Forte is really underappreciated around the league.

4. James Jones first TD was actually covered well but he made a great play.

5. Cobb's TD was another amazing catch. Either way there was Pass Interference on the play

6. Didn't like the Red zone play call from the staff but that is about all I will complain about

7. They held Lacy to 85 yards rushing= not bad for a new Defense in their first real game.

8. Thought Cutler played well other then the one INT

9. FORTE IS A BEAST, he deserves two mentions, wish he would have caught that goal line pass tho

Offense:

All in all for their first real game against a top tier team I was happy. We have to realize this offense is only going to get better, GB's offense is already about were its going to be. The starting point for the Bears offense looks to be pretty good. The top 3 WR's are all banged up, Alshon hasn't really practiced in a month and half. Gase is going to get better as the season goes on, he is going to learn what players and plays work best. I think everyone should be pretty excited about the O. I know Cutler threw a INT, they are going to happen. Hopefully the next time Cutler gets that look on that play he reads it and hits Wilson.

Defense:

I think they looked better then last year. They were playing against one of the best Offenses in the league. They kept it close for large portion of the game, and I think this is another great starting point for this Unit.

Coaching staff:

They are in a different universe compared to last years staff. Like I said above the only part of the game I really was unhappy with was the goal line play call. In FOX and CO I trust!!!!

My one lingering concern is how much of us looking decent against the Packers was the fact that there's no film on Gase's Bears offense. All of that no huddle stuff was band new and kept the Packers in a base D all day long.

I hope we're better than last year. It appears we are. I just want to see the next few weeks go by before I'm sold.

My one lingering concern is how much of us looking decent against the Packers was the fact that there's no film on Gase's Bears offense. All of that no huddle stuff was band new and kept the Packers in a base D all day long.

I hope we're better than last year. It appears we are. I just want to see the next few weeks go by before I'm sold.

Very solid point. Im sure it helped a little bit. At the end of the day the Bears didn't run some crazy new offense that no one has ever seen. GB's coaching staff and players have seen most if not every formation and play ran.

I absolutely loved how we stuck with the run and how we didn't give up as many big plays on the D side. From a passing game perspective, we looked rusty, but I would expect that with Jay's top receivers being hurt for most of training camp. I was surprised we didn't use Bennett as much in the red zone and agree that our play calling in the red zone could use improvements. That said, it is week 1 and while other teams will get film on us, I am hopeful we have a staff that will be able to adapt accordingly.

I still think we are a 5-6 win team because we just don't have talent in the secondary and I don't buy our oline being good enough (plus we have zero depth at wideout), but if we had a health White, I'd probably increase my prediction. One thing for certain, I thought we played hard and I liked that. But it is easy to play hard in week 1.

Defensively, I didn't like the fact that we really didn't get much pressure on Aaron after about the 2nd quarter.

1 thing I really liked is that green bay defensively had a really good game plan. 8 in the box and try to take our best player out of it. We saw it but continued with it and still shredded it. Forte is really good and surprises Me that someone as good as him rarely ever gets mentioned when they talk RBs instead they love Peterson yet he hasn't played in awhile and 49ers kept him in check

The Bears currently ranked 25th in the power rankings played the 3rd ranked Packers who were very close to playing in the Super Bowl 8 months ago.

Leading up to this game I was not very excited due to how BAD the Bears were last year. After watching the game I am very excited about the direction of this team.

5. Cobb's TD was another amazing catch. Either way there was Pass Interference on the play

6. Didn't like the Red zone play call from the staff but that is about all I will complain about

7. They held Lacy to 85 yards rushing= not bad for a new Defense in their first real game.

9. FORTE IS A BEAST, he deserves two mentions, wish he would have caught that goal line pass tho

Offense:

All in all for their first real game against a top tier team I was happy. We have to realize this offense is only going to get better, GB's offense is already about were its going to be. The starting point for the Bears offense looks to be pretty good. The top 3 WR's are all banged up, Alshon hasn't really practiced in a month and half. Gase is going to get better as the season goes on, he is going to learn what players and plays work best. I think everyone should be pretty excited about the O. I know Cutler threw a INT, they are going to happen. Hopefully the next time Cutler gets that look on that play he reads it and hits Wilson.

Defense:

I think they looked better then last year. They were playing against one of the best Offenses in the league. They kept it close for large portion of the game, and I think this is another great starting point for this Unit.

Coaching staff:

They are in a different universe compared to last years staff. Like I said above the only part of the game I really was unhappy with was the goal line play call. In FOX and CO I trust!!!!

Nicely encapsulated. I would agree with everything you wrote. The one thing I would have liked to have seen was not only more constant pressure on Rodgers but at least one turnover by our D. Whether it be a fumble, interception or whatever I think that really could have changed the course of the game. Even after Cutler threw that pick our team didn't seem to lose steam. With it being at home and with the intensity some of the players were showing out there, it would have been like casting blood in shark infested waters.

As far as intensity goes, have to really hand it to Fox and crew. I saw a bunch of photos taken from the sideline during the game and in several of them Fox is over chatting away with various players. In the pics he looks pretty amped up and I remember several times during the course of the game after the team did something contrary, whether it be the INT or '3 and out' Fox was right there cheering the team on. I read that he kept the practices really lively and it showed in how the players responded to him on Sunday. This is absolutely fantastic in my book. As big a fan as I was of Lovie's there is no comparison to Fox's level of enthusiasm and coaching prowess. Remember he once coached the relatively brand new Carolina Panthers to the Super Bowl. The guy knows what he's doing.

1. We were leading at half......Holy crap. - We actually held the lead into the 3rd, and were only down by 1 entering the 4th

2. They ran the shit about of the ball..........amazing, I loved it. - Ground and pound was awesome, loved the game plan

3. Forte is really underappreciated around the league. - Borderline MVP every year

4. James Jones first TD was actually covered well but he made a great play. - Ball actually had good coverage on 2 of his catches, just tip your hat and move on

6. Didn't like the Red zone play call from the staff but that is about all I will complain about - They got a little too tricky down there, would've liked to have seen some runs or draws

7. They held Lacy to 85 yards rushing= not bad for a new Defense in their first real game. - We need to shoot the gaps a little more as there were some big holes for Lacy, but overall, not bad

8. Thought Cutler played well other then the one INT - He was victim of a few dropped passes, but otherwise, he called most of the game from the LoS, the INT sucked, Wilson was wide open on the play

9. FORTE IS A BEAST, he deserves two mentions, wish he would have caught that goal line pass tho - Yeah, he had a helluva game

Offense:

Defense:

Coaching staff:

I put some replies in blue in your quotes.

Overall, you can see the influence of the coaching staff on the team, and it is positive. Out of all the things I saw, I was actually most disappointed in the pass rush. I didn't see any pressures from McPhee, Allen, Houston, or Young all game which put a lot of pressure on the secondary. Rodgers had a lot of time to make plays.

Offense:

Defense:

Coaching staff:

Also what you failed to mention is that we had a new Oline from center to RT that played well considering they only practiced at the position for a week....they will get better and gel. Also We didn't have a WR stretch the field deep. and our Defense played well for the most part. Someone needs to teach our DB how to look for the ball and stop playing the man. We could have had three INT's if they(Ball,Fuller) just turned around and looked for the ball.On the two yards line....you RUN first pass second.......same reason the Seahawks lost the Super Bowl. Your back is killing the defense all day then you wanna throw. We will get better! Go Bears!!!

Nicely encapsulated. I would agree with everything you wrote. The one thing I would have liked to have seen was not only more constant pressure on Rodgers but at least one turnover by our D. Whether it be a fumble, interception or whatever I think that really could have changed the course of the game. Even after Cutler threw that pick our team didn't seem to lose steam. With it being at home and with the intensity some of the players were showing out there, it would have been like casting blood in shark infested waters.

As far as intensity goes, have to really hand it to Fox and crew. I saw a bunch of photos taken from the sideline during the game and in several of them Fox is over chatting away with various players. In the pics he looks pretty amped up and I remember several times during the course of the game after the team did something contrary, whether it be the INT or '3 and out' Fox was right there cheering the team on. I read that he kept the practices really lively and it showed in how the players responded to him on Sunday. This is absolutely fantastic in my book. As big a fan as I was of Lovie's there is no comparison to Fox's level of enthusiasm and coaching prowess. Remember he once coached the relatively brand new Carolina Panthers to the Super Bowl. The guy knows what he's doing.

Fox enthusiastically clapping and greeting players as they came off the field was all I needed to see. It was a refreshing change from the librarian on the sidelines last year. In the green bay's talent won out over the Bears talent.

Fox seems to have a pretty good balance of excitement and calmness. Listening to Kyle Long on the radio, he spoke about Fox and how he is an up tempo type of coach and that the team loves it. I guess Fox always has a Redbull in his hand.

Fox enthusiastically clapping and greeting players as they came off the field was all I needed to see. It was a refreshing change from the librarian on the sidelines last year. In the green bay's talent won out over the Bears talent.

Absolutely. This is the root of coaching. And for a team that is as young as it is, this is definitely a necessity.

I was thinking over a few near misses; Cutler's near miss on the 4th down play where Long admits he messed up, the Wilson miss on the INT to blonde bimbo and Forte's drop for a sure TD. Each of these successfully executed could of tipped the game in our team's favor. That 4th down throw that Cutler haphazardly tossed in the endzone was actually closer than it looked. Had Cutler been able to get one more step and fire that ball down and out or even just a bit lower, Royal was in perfect position to make that play. All these things and the way the team came out last week makes me think better things are on the horizon. This year not next. As I said in an earlier post, despite Cutler's INT it wasn't nearly as devastating as some of his others in the past. The Bears were in this game from start to finish. And considering who they were matched up against, that's pretty admirable.