By far and away worst team in NFL....

Guest TerraTor

I'll be honest, I haven't seen any of Nkemdiche but have seen A TON of hype. Just checked his stats and I am SHOCKED to see dude only has 3 sacks and 10 TFL in 22 games. For all the hype I was expecting to see ridiculous numbers not 10 TFL (6 of those vs Troy, Southeast Methodist, and Vandy) .

I assume he's consistently double teamed. I'll have to watch some tape.

Bosa on the other hand in 27 games has 37.5 TFL and 21.5 sacks. That's the type of numbers I was expecting to see from the other guy.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be honest, I haven't seen any of Nkemdiche but have seen A TON of hype. Just checked his stats and I am SHOCKED to see dude only has 3 sacks and 10 TFL in 22 games. For all the hype I was expecting to see ridiculous numbers not 10 TFL (6 of those vs Troy, Southeast Methodist, and Vandy) .

I assume he's consistently double teamed. I'll have to watch some tape.

Bosa on the other hand in 27 games has 37.5 TFL and 21.5 sacks. That's the type of numbers I was expecting to see from the other guy.

I saw Nkemdiche play a week ago. He makes some very explosive plays in the backfield and then he seems to disappear. I wasn't isolated on him so don't know if he was double teamed or not. I will say that for a big man he occasionally displays some rare athleticism and quickness. I don't know if he's big enough to be DE in our scheme or if he's more like McPhee in body type.

I saw Nkemdiche play a week ago. He makes some very explosive plays in the backfield and then he seems to disappear. I wasn't isolated on him so don't know if he was double teamed or not. I will say that for a big man he occasionally displays some rare athleticism and quickness. I don't know if he's big enough to be DE in our scheme or if he's more like McPhee in body type.

This past week the guys for college football were starting to come down on nkemdiche as well

Jefferson didn't jump any route, he was stepping up to the spot where Bennett stopped/hesitated and was still a yard or two behind Bennett. He was actually coming from the right side of the offenses formation. Fox said it's a sight-adjustment play so one guy read it one way, and the other read it differently. I don't expect they'll tell us exactly what the keys are here and what should have happened but the QB and any receiver have to be on the same page on how the route should be run.

If your first read is open, as Bennett was, why should you go to your second read? From snap to start of throw is about 1.5 seconds. If the pass were completed and he cleared Jefferson, Bennett had plenty of room to run likely for a first down. If Bennett stops and makes the catch it was at least a 5yd gain if completed. If Bennett never hesitated and just hit the cut and ran (assuming Cutler threw it that way) he'd have had a big gain.

I don't know the sequence of the other reads on that play. I'm pretty sure the CB who fell down was Patrick Peterson and I don't advocate ever looking his way knowing the WR is running an out route to the far sideline that can be easily undercut by a guy like Peterson. Jimmy Clausen didn't get that memo. Both WRs on the right side ran out routes pulling defenders with them. On the left side the other WR does a quick come back about 8 yards upfield.

Why do you want a QB to bail on the first read when the defense is moving in ways that will leave him open?

Fox was interviewed after the game by Joniak. One of the points he made was there was a mistake on the "hot read" that resulted in an interception. Whether that mistake was from Cutler or Bennett was left to ambiguity. Historically we've seen Cutler blame others for the mistakes he's made (by the by, didn't see that here) and Bennett has admitted to the mistakes he's made (again, didn't see it here).

If you watch the play develop and considering Fox used the word "hot read" that would mean Jay saw what he thought would be a blitz. In looking at the pre-snap configuration (sorry not smart enough to do snapshots of play by play) you'll see what looks like a dime form defense with the 'strong' loaded on the offensive right side to match the 'strong' offensive formation. As Cutler is setting up to take the snap he looks to his right and with two arms points in the direction of the 'heavy' coverage. Presumably (because I'm not privy to their calls) he's pointing out the "Mike" backer and the extra DB coverage (or possibly where he thinks a blitzer is coming from). Either way, he wants to be sure those players are accounted for most likely for a blocking assignment. After making that indication he scans to his left, checking off the "Will" LB placement (or in this case extra DB) and other DBs lineup on that side. He then motions straight up in the air, as if to suggest the receiver on this side, or primary look, will either run a fly/go or continue a route. Having hindsight as my ally I'm going to assume he was indicating to his primary look (Bennett) that he should continue his crossing route rather than stop. Reason I suggest this are two things; Bellamy (who was lined up as the weak side receiver) did a 'dig' route and came back to the ball - not a 'fly/go' route. Either to set up for a reception or set up the rub for Bennett to catch the underneath crossing route and shed his defender. The other being that Cutler may have thought the "Will" backer (position - covered by a DB this time) was going to blitz (which he ended up doing) and he intended to pass to Bennett in the "open space". He had single high safety coverage (probably the FS) as the weak side Safety moved back at the snap of the ball to cover that part of the field.

The communication error happened either before the play or during the play itself. Bennett, to me, looked as though he was going to continue his crossing route and intend to catch the pass in the open space vacated by the blitzing CB. For whatever reason he paused, if only for a second, and Jay (maybe not knowing if Bennett didn't get the message) threw the ball way behind Bennett who was continuing across. And going with the belief that Cutler tends to lock on his players, Jefferson picked up where Bennett was going because he ran right to the spot almost immediately after the hike of the ball. Bennett never squared up as if he was expecting to catch the pass where it ended up going to, although he did turn to look into the backfield. Taking into account he was going to "stop" as you suggested, Jay should have thrown more to the left side of Bennett (or lead him) rather than where he did because he presumably knew the 'heavy' coverage was on the right. Instead the ball went right and into the hands of Jefferson.

Fox was interviewed after the game by Joniak. One of the points he made was there was a mistake on the "hot read" that resulted in an interception. Whether that mistake was from Cutler or Bennett was left to ambiguity. Historically we've seen Cutler blame others for the mistakes he's made (by the by, didn't see that here) and Bennett has admitted to the mistakes he's made (again, didn't see it here).

If you watch the play develop and considering Fox used the word "hot read" that would mean Jay saw what he thought would be a blitz. In looking at the pre-snap configuration (sorry not smart enough to do snapshots of play by play) you'll see what looks like a dime form defense with the 'strong' loaded on the offensive right side to match the 'strong' offensive formation. As Cutler is setting up to take the snap he looks to his right and with two arms points in the direction of the 'heavy' coverage. Presumably (because I'm not privy to their calls) he's pointing out the "Mike" backer and the extra DB coverage (or possibly where he thinks a blitzer is coming from). Either way, he wants to be sure those players are accounted for most likely for a blocking assignment. After making that indication he scans to his left, checking off the "Will" LB placement (or in this case extra DB) and other DBs lineup on that side. He then motions straight up in the air, as if to suggest the receiver on this side, or primary look, will either run a fly/go or continue a route. Having hindsight as my ally I'm going to assume he was indicating to his primary look (Bennett) that he should continue his crossing route rather than stop. Reason I suggest this are two things; Bellamy (who was lined up as the weak side receiver) did a 'dig' route and came back to the ball - not a 'fly/go' route. Either to set up for a reception or set up the rub for Bennett to catch the underneath crossing route and shed his defender. The other being that Cutler may have thought the "Will" backer (position - covered by a DB this time) was going to blitz (which he ended up doing) and he intended to pass to Bennett in the "open space". He had single high safety coverage (probably the FS) as the weak side Safety moved back at the snap of the ball to cover that part of the field.

The communication error happened either before the play or during the play itself. Bennett, to me, looked as though he was going to continue his crossing route and intend to catch the pass in the open space vacated by the blitzing CB. For whatever reason he paused, if only for a second, and Jay (maybe not knowing if Bennett didn't get the message) threw the ball way behind Bennett who was continuing across. And going with the belief that Cutler tends to lock on his players, Jefferson picked up where Bennett was going because he ran right to the spot almost immediately after the hike of the ball. Bennett never squared up as if he was expecting to catch the pass where it ended up going to, although he did turn to look into the backfield. Taking into account he was going to "stop" as you suggested, Jay should have thrown more to the left side of Bennett (or lead him) rather than where he did because he presumably knew the 'heavy' coverage was on the right. Instead the ball went right and into the hands of Jefferson.

Dude you are absolutely hysterical!!! after reading this I have NO DOUBT it was Cutlers fault!!!!!

Thank god you cleared that up!

Clausen for president 2016!!

Jefferson didn't jump any route, he was stepping up to the spot where Bennett stopped/hesitated and was still a yard or two behind Bennett. He was actually coming from the right side of the offenses formation. Fox said it's a sight-adjustment play so one guy read it one way, and the other read it differently. I don't expect they'll tell us exactly what the keys are here and what should have happened but the QB and any receiver have to be on the same page on how the route should be run.

If your first read is open, as Bennett was, why should you go to your second read? From snap to start of throw is about 1.5 seconds. If the pass were completed and he cleared Jefferson, Bennett had plenty of room to run likely for a first down. If Bennett stops and makes the catch it was at least a 5yd gain if completed. If Bennett never hesitated and just hit the cut and ran (assuming Cutler threw it that way) he'd have had a big gain.

I don't know the sequence of the other reads on that play. I'm pretty sure the CB who fell down was Patrick Peterson and I don't advocate ever looking his way knowing the WR is running an out route to the far sideline that can be easily undercut by a guy like Peterson. Jimmy Clausen didn't get that memo. Both WRs on the right side ran out routes pulling defenders with them. On the left side the other WR does a quick come back about 8 yards upfield.

Why do you want a QB to bail on the first read when the defense is moving in ways that will leave him open?

I completely agree with this rebuttal. To add to this: I saw Cutler trying to adjust his throw which made it look awful coming out of his hand. How often have we ever seen Cutler throw a "wounded duck"? That pass was indicative of a QB that was throwing to a spot and reacting to an unforeseen movement. Who's fault is was, remains to be seen. My money is on Bennett.

Cutler historically blames other players.....When? Prove this statement, how many times has he ever blamed someone else?

Bennett historically admits when he makes a mistake..... I have never noticed Bennett come out and talk about all the mistakes he made throughout a game..

HOT READ = you literally are reading what Fox said and flipping it automatically on Cutler. Did you miss Fox saying he wasn't going to get into who's fault it is??????????????????????????????????

You do UNDERSTAND that a hot read is suppose to be read by the QB and the WR. Not just the QB. Both players are suppose to read their keys and adjust according to what the Defense is doing. Hot reads are not only for Blitzes.

Unless one of them comes out and says it was my fault none of us will ever know. Lets say Bennett comes out and says he ran the wrong route, I still wouldn't be 100% sure it was, teammates will take the blame for things to lessen the heat on their QB.

You may be right that it was Cutlers fault, not because your reading between the lines of what Cutler said or did not say or what Bennett said. And for your Fox comments on the Hot Read (sight adjustment) his comments do not point one way or other.

Honestly does it really matter who's fault it was. It's not Wed and we are nitpicking the only blemish on Jay that he had on the day instead of what happened afterwards. Like 2 of the 1st drives clausen was given the ball inside the red zone and we failed both times to punch it in. That to me is the bigger issue. If we punch it in both times what then becomes of the game? To me that was the ultimate turning point

Cutler historically blames other players.....When? Prove this statement, how many times has he ever blamed someone else?

Bennett historically admits when he makes a mistake..... I have never noticed Bennett come out and talk about all the mistakes he made throughout a game..

First an historical reference on Bennett. This from right after he was signed by the Bears and reflecting on his time in Dallas: "I think early in my career, it’s no secret that I struggled earlier in my career," Bennett said. "But it wasn’t because of my ability or being able to make plays. It was more attitude. I think I never accepted my role in Dallas and I always was fighting with what my role was instead of just accepting it." And after the game last year against Buffalo where they lost 23-20 and Cuitler threw 2 INTS (one of which was to the Defensive Tackle Williams). Bennett said this about the other INT: ""I should have turned around quicker on that," Bennett said. "That first one was my fault.". (You notice he specified which was his fault?) As far as Cutler, all you have to do is review film over the last few years to see him grouse at a player when they don't either catch a ball or 'causes and int' to suspect he doesn't feel the blame.

HOT READ = you literally are reading what Fox said and flipping it automatically on Cutler. Did you miss Fox saying he wasn't going to get into who's fault it is??????????????????????????????????

You do UNDERSTAND that a hot read is suppose to be read by the QB and the WR. Not just the QB. Both players are suppose to read their keys and adjust according to what the Defense is doing. Hot reads are not only for Blitzes.

Unless one of them comes out and says it was my fault none of us will ever know. Lets say Bennett comes out and says he ran the wrong route, I still wouldn't be 100% sure it was, teammates will take the blame for things to lessen the heat on their QB.

You may be right that it was Cutlers fault, not because your reading between the lines of what Cutler said or did not say or what Bennett said. And for your Fox comments on the Hot Read (sight adjustment) his comments do not point one way or other.

I fully understand the terminology "hot read" and thank you for thinking you needed to clarify it. I'll give you this; we may never know who was truly at fault. Does it matter now? Not really. I know consistently over the years who has been involved with most of Cutler's interceptions and turnovers, and that's enough for me. You can offer as many excuses as you want; bad oline, changing coordinators or not having the right receivers as you feel necessary. The constant is still there.

Suffice to say I don't feel we'll win this weekend. Like Adam pointed out this was more than likely a foregone conclusion even with Cutler playing. There are a lot of factors going against our team as we head into Seattle. Least of them is whether Clausen starts or not. For what its worth though, I don't think Clausen will do as badly as you or others are hoping he will. How he does remains to be seen.

One thing I am certain of. We do not currently have the QB on our roster that will get our team where it needs to be. Who that is whether it be through draft or other means also remains to be seen.

Good point.

Honestly does it really matter who's fault it was. It's not Wed and we are nitpicking the only blemish on Jay that he had on the day instead of what happened afterwards. Like 2 of the 1st drives clausen was given the ball inside the red zone and we failed both times to punch it in. That to me is the bigger issue. If we punch it in both times what then becomes of the game? To me that was the ultimate turning point

I fully understand the terminology "hot read" and thank you for thinking you needed to clarify it. I'll give you this; we may never know who was truly at fault. Does it matter now? Not really. I know consistently over the years who has been involved with most of Cutler's interceptions and turnovers, and that's enough for me. You can offer as many excuses as you want; bad oline, changing coordinators or not having the right receivers as you feel necessary. The constant is still there.

Steak cooked in a urine-soaked pan = Tastes horrible

Steak burned by a moron chef = Tastes horrible

Steak served with skunk au jus = Tastes horrible

The constant, regardless of being constant, is not always to blame.

Suffice to say I don't feel we'll win this weekend. Like Adam pointed out this was more than likely a foregone conclusion even with Cutler playing. There are a lot of factors going against our team as we head into Seattle. Least of them is whether Clausen starts or not. For what its worth though, I don't think Clausen will do as badly as you or others are hoping he will. How he does remains to be seen.

One thing I am certain of. We do not currently have the QB on our roster that will get our team where it needs to be. Who that is whether it be through draft or other means also remains to be seen.

Least? LEAST?! HAHA! C'mon man. You're killing me.

Clauson for President.

Steak cooked in a urine-soaked pan = Tastes horrible

Steak burned by a moron chef = Tastes horrible

Steak served with skunk au jus = Tastes horrible

The constant, regardless of being constant, is not always to blame.

Least? LEAST?! HAHA! C'mon man. You're killing me.

Clauson for President.

What if you're a vegetarian?

And the 'Clausen for Prez' thing is just idiotic. Come up with something original or more thought provoking.

People tend to forget, when Jay actually had a defense worth a damn, his record is 51-20. That is with sub par WRs and terrible OLs. Now that the D is historically bad he pretty much has to play perfect football to win a game.

You can win with Jay and a good D.

Good point. Like my dad has said on many occasions(who's a packers fan and is not of fan of Jay at all). "Jay isn't great but he's not horrible either. You can with him but he's not going to do it by himself"

Good D and Jay (assuming WR's are what we hope they will be)...will win games. just not THE BIG game.

Good point. Like my dad has said on many occasions(who's a packers fan and is not of fan of Jay at all). "Jay isn't great but he's not horrible either. You can with him but he's not going to do it by himself"

Good D and Jay (assuming WR's are what we hope they will be)...will win games. just not THE BIG game.

You don't know that because we've never seen the complete team you talked about in the other thread. Jay was 31 games above .500 when we had a good defense. But at the same time he had an awful OL and a WR corp that had Devin Heater as your #1.

Think about if we had the offensive weapons and OL (which still isn't great, but better) we have now to go with some of the defenses they had under Lovie Smith. Again Jay managed to go 31 games over then, we don't know where they might be now with a complete team.

They were a touchdown away from going to the Super Bowl with an OL that featured a rookie J'Marcus Webb and Frank Omiyale as the tackles and a WR corp that had Devin Hester, Johnny Knox, and Earl Bennett. That's 2 guys talkbears absolutely hate at tackle, a #2 WR at best in Knox, a kick returner who should probably be a #4 or 5 WR, and Earl Bennett who is a serviceable #3.

By rankings, we didn't even have the better defense in that game against GB in the NFC championship game, they ranked 2nd and we ranked 4th. And yet through all that we were 1 touchdown away from beating them.

I'm going by what I've seen. Obviously anything can happen. But, from what I've tried to objectively see over the years with Jay under center is a guy prone to the big mistake. For whatever reason. Maybe his OC was bad. Maybe the wrong play was called. Maybe he was running for his life due to bad OL play. Maybe the wrong route was run. Maybe the D fails to stop anyone making the job tougher. Maybe the WR gave up on the ball. Maybe the D just had a lucky guess. Or maybe, the one common thread is it's him...

I've given the guy all the support in the world. I'm just done thinking something different will happen from what normally happens. And I think keeping him for this and next year is integral assuming we get an eventual QB replacement.

If Jay wins us a Super Bowl (let alone just beating Green Bay one time in what feels like 20 years of losing to them beside the fluky McCown game...), please feel free to remind me. I'd rather be wrong. But, I don't think I am.

The parade of excuses why Jay can't cut it and it's not really his fault is almost longer than the list of QBs that played before him. He's the best we've had since then. But it's not good enough. I want better.

You don't know that because we've never seen the complete team you talked about in the other thread. Jay was 31 games above .500 when we had a good defense. But at the same time he had an awful OL and a WR corp that had Devin Heater as your #1.

Think about if we had the offensive weapons and OL (which still isn't great, but better) we have now to go with some of the defenses they had under Lovie Smith. Again Jay managed to go 31 games over then, we don't know where they might be now with a complete team.

They were a touchdown away from going to the Super Bowl with an OL that featured a rookie J'Marcus Webb and Frank Omiyale as the tackles and a WR corp that had Devin Hester, Johnny Knox, and Earl Bennett. That's 2 guys talkbears absolutely hate at tackle, a #2 WR at best in Knox, a kick returner who should probably be a #4 or 5 WR, and Earl Bennett who is a serviceable #3.

By rankings, we didn't even have the better defense in that game against GB in the NFC championship game, they ranked 2nd and we ranked 4th. And yet through all that we were 1 touchdown away from beating them.

The cases have been spelled out on both sides of the fence. Every year, it was, if he only had a better OC. If he only had a better line. If the D wasn't awful. If the WR's weren't garbage. It seems like he was given every tool in the chest, and then at that point, the D started to fall apart.

Hey, I get it. You fall on the side supporting that it's been always something else other than Jay. I too was there. After so many years, I just simply can't hold that opinion any more.

Let's not forget...our overall success and failure isn't pinned to 1 guy. Our failures and successes are from the team and management. However, the biggest spotlight is always on the QB, and he and he alone accounts for a huge chunk of the overall success/failure. It's the same w/ every team in the NFL.

We have won and lost as a team. We aren't going to the SB for a while. We have way too many holes. So even if most are fixed...by then, odds are Jay won't still be with us. I am ready to re-load the QB spot with a legit draft pick if our GM sees that the prospect is worthy of the pick. I don't want Jay gone. I'm not pining for Pickles or Fails. I'd rather have Jay out there. But, that doesn't mean I think he's all that good. He's just better than the others. I again, want better than Cutler.

We always hear people talk about the list of excuses....please, objectively explain why they are just excuses and not reasons the team has failed.

Man this stuff almost writes itself. Not sure if Mad addressed this below but I'd like to point out some things here. This, I assume, is the 2010 NFC Championship game you're talking about? The one that Jay threw the INT for a score then shortly after was injured? Then sat long faced on the sideline the rest of the game. The same game where Caleb Hanie was THE GUY who brought the team to ONE TD from going to the Super Bowl before throwing that INT to BJ Raji in the endzone or real close? That the game you're talking about?

But before I get ahead of myself I should probably ask, 'where was Martellus Bennett" when Jay threw that pick 6? Did he go the wrong way? Did he misread Jay's call in the huddle? Wait he was playing for Dallas that year, so maybe he wasn't the cause?

The cases have been spelled out on both sides of the fence. Every year, it was, if he only had a better OC. If he only had a better line. If the D wasn't awful. If the WR's weren't garbage. It seems like he was given every tool in the chest, and then at that point, the D started to fall apart.

Hey, I get it. You fall on the side supporting that it's been always something else other than Jay. I too was there. After so many years, I just simply can't hold that opinion any more.

Let's not forget...our overall success and failure isn't pinned to 1 guy. Our failures and successes are from the team and management. However, the biggest spotlight is always on the QB, and he and he alone accounts for a huge chunk of the overall success/failure. It's the same w/ every team in the NFL.

We have won and lost as a team. We aren't going to the SB for a while. We have way too many holes. So even if most are fixed...by then, odds are Jay won't still be with us. I am ready to re-load the QB spot with a legit draft pick if our GM sees that the prospect is worthy of the pick. I don't want Jay gone. I'm not pining for Pickles or Fails. I'd rather have Jay out there. But, that doesn't mean I think he's all that good. He's just better than the others. I again, want better than Cutler.

Couldn't agree more. Well said and thought out and although I disagree on a few minor points, by in large though I'm right there with you.

I can't say this enough and frankly don't care if Jason, Hustla, SCS or whomever care but I really want to be wrong about Jay. I truly do. If he succeeds, our team succeeds. Now that he can't play I'm hoping that Clausen succeeds but not necessarily at the expense of Jay. If I'm right about Clausen and he plays well all that does is boost my ego (and I'm not really that prideful), but it doesn't solve the rest of what you brought up. Which is there are 23 (or so) other players that are either not carrying their weight, not talented enough, not trying hard enough or are plain equally sucking all at the same time. Ok a few exceptions; Forte and a few others. But anyhow, I'm still holding out hope that Culter will at some point find what it is he needs to go up that one level to positive consistency. No more Jekyll and Hyde. Not only is he running of excuses, he's running out time.

Throw out the whole coordinator thing and as you said it's a team sport. Did he not have a sorry group of WRs and a bad OL when the D was playing well? The past 2 and 2/16th seasons has the D not been disatrious?

Just based on the fact that he had a solid record with a good D, would I be wrong in thinking that if the D was good now the team would be even better than it was back when he was 30 games over?

Man this stuff almost writes itself. Not sure if Mad addressed this below but I'd like to point out some things here. This, I assume, is the 2010 NFC Championship game you're talking about? The one that Jay threw the INT for a score then shortly after was injured? Then sat long faced on the sideline the rest of the game. The same game where Caleb Hanie was THE GUY who brought the team to ONE TD from going to the Super Bowl before throwing that INT to BJ Raji in the endzone or real close? That the game you're talking about?

But before I get ahead of myself I should probably ask, 'where was Martellus Bennett" when Jay threw that pick 6? Did he go the wrong way? Did he misread Jay's call in the huddle? Wait he was playing for Dallas that year, so maybe he wasn't the cause?

FWIW it wasn't a pick 6. It was a pick with 40 seconds to go. Packers just kneeled after. Yes, I suppose you're right it was Hanie who got us into the game. I could say they may have done better with Jay out there in the 2nd half (Hanie threw 2 picks) but I won't go there.

Bad example I suppose. I'll give you that one.